Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:59:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 253
Author Topic: Washington 2020: The Calm Before the Drizzle  (Read 848830 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: March 22, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »

Wow, that's funny, I was just thinking McKenna would probably be one of the few Republican AGs that wouldn't jump on that bandwagon, since he wants to be Governor.

The Washington GOP is full of teabagging types. He needs their support and they would've bugged him about this until he eventually gave in anyways. I think it was actually a smart move on his part.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1676 on: March 22, 2010, 09:32:27 PM »

Sad. I liked McKenna. Sad
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #1677 on: March 23, 2010, 02:34:13 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2010, 05:16:38 AM by bgwah »

Ugh.

First pot, now this. It's reassuring to know once again that I made the right choice not voting for this piece of garbage.

*evil look at Alcon* Angry

I'm kind of happy about this overall, though. He just cut his chances of ever becoming Governor in half (if not more!).

You just went from winning King County in 2008 to not even being able to crack 40%, Robby.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1678 on: March 23, 2010, 03:24:39 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2010, 03:27:26 PM by Ogre Mage »

So how do you think this impacts his chances at becoming the next governor of Washington state?

It impacts his chances negatively and suggests McKenna is more concerned about the GOP primary than I thought.  Is Rossi seriously considering running again?

The Democratic base, which previously had been ambivalent about the AG, is going to come out blasting.  He has just stepped on one of the party's core issues.  bgwah is correct -- McKenna now has no chance in King County.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1679 on: March 23, 2010, 08:24:44 PM »

So how do you think this impacts his chances at becoming the next governor of Washington state?

It impacts his chances negatively and suggests McKenna is more concerned about the GOP primary than I thought.  Is Rossi seriously considering running again?

The Democratic base, which previously had been ambivalent about the AG, is going to come out blasting.  He has just stepped on one of the party's core issues.  bgwah is correct -- McKenna now has no chance in King County.

...or thurston, or whatcom, or San Juan. Basically this is the sort of thing that will really rile up the left and make the center question him. Though really it does help him alot in terms of the primary (though remember people we have the jungle primary so everyone votes, making the tea party much less powerful.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1680 on: March 23, 2010, 09:37:36 PM »

Ugh.

First pot, now this. It's reassuring to know once again that I made the right choice not voting for this piece of garbage.

*evil look at Alcon* Angry

I'm kind of happy about this overall, though. He just cut his chances of ever becoming Governor in half (if not more!).

You just went from winning King County in 2008 to not even being able to crack 40%, Robby.

What'd he do about pot?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1681 on: March 23, 2010, 10:01:47 PM »

I still think a lot of you aren't looking at this in the right way. While I agree this doesn't help McKenna with Democrats or Independents, I don't think he really had a choice. He was going to develop a major issue with his base if he didn't get on board and he didn't want to have to deal with that heading into a statewide race. You can see a similar situation with Corbett in Pennsylvania and McCollum in Florida. It was a lose-lose and chose the better option.

I also don't think he ever had a chance at winning King County in the first place (gubernatorial and down-ballot statewide races are entirely different beasts) but that's a separate issue.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1682 on: March 23, 2010, 10:07:24 PM »

I still think a lot of you aren't looking at this in the right way. While I agree this doesn't help McKenna with Democrats or Independents, I don't think he really had a choice. He was going to develop a major issue with his base if he didn't get on board and he didn't want to have to deal with that heading into a statewide race. You can see a similar situation with Corbett in Pennsylvania and McCollum in Florida. It was a lose-lose and chose the better option.

I also don't think he ever had a chance at winning King County in the first place (gubernatorial and down-ballot statewide races are entirely different beasts) but that's a separate issue.

Hence my "he won't be able to crack 40%" comment! Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1683 on: March 23, 2010, 11:13:16 PM »

Hence my "he won't be able to crack 40%" comment! Smiley

Ah, I missed the "in 2008" bit. My bad.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1684 on: March 24, 2010, 12:38:49 AM »
« Edited: March 25, 2010, 02:44:46 AM by Ogre Mage »

Video of Gov. Gregoire discussing AG McKenna's lawsuit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Ng5lYw3kE

I don't think he had a chance of winning in King County either, but I could have seen him doing decently for a Republican -- around 45%.  That certainly won't happen now.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1685 on: March 29, 2010, 07:16:28 AM »

Dem field in WA-03 is down to three:

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/mar/25/independent-rodriguez-salazar-withdraws-from-3rd-d/

So I take it with the top-two primary system, there's a lot of pressure to keep the number of legitimate party candidates down to two now (so there's the guarantee that at least one of them will move on to the general)?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1686 on: March 30, 2010, 11:46:53 AM »

http://www.columbian.com/news/2010/mar/25/independent-rodriguez-salazar-withdraws-from-3rd-d/

So I take it with the top-two primary system, there's a lot of pressure to keep the number of legitimate party candidates down to two now (so there's the guarantee that at least one of them will move on to the general)?

It definitely helps, at the moment there are two real dems in the primary plus a peace activist, while for the republicans they have two(ish) candidates left plus a tea party guy and some military dude. Truthfully the republican primary could be very fragmented...   Smiley
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1687 on: March 30, 2010, 11:59:28 AM »

Personally I think it has more to do with the establishment trying to clear the field for Heck than the nature of the top-two primary, but you may be right. And if so it's another reason why the top-two sucks - the party establishment just quietly pushes candidates out of the race and de facto selects the nominee behind the scenes out of fear of messing up the general election. How democratic.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1688 on: March 30, 2010, 03:30:47 PM »

Some of those anti-latino comments are pretty funny. Especially the one that says she's withdrawing because of her anti-white views and trying to make a grand latino army.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1689 on: March 30, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »

Personally I think it has more to do with the establishment trying to clear the field for Heck than the nature of the top-two primary, but you may be right. And if so it's another reason why the top-two sucks - the party establishment just quietly pushes candidates out of the race and de facto selects the nominee behind the scenes out of fear of messing up the general election. How democratic.

Yeah, though to be fair none of the candidates who have dropped out so far really had any chance of winning the primary, now should the democrats somehow get Pridemore to drop out then it definitely would smack of establishment interference.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1690 on: March 31, 2010, 12:44:40 PM »

Does anyone know if Democrats will be able to maintain control of the Washington and Oregon legislatures, or if they will be overwhelmed by Republicans this year? 
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1691 on: March 31, 2010, 01:05:03 PM »

Does anyone know if Democrats will be able to maintain control of the Washington and Oregon legislatures, or if they will be overwhelmed by Republicans this year? 

The democrats would have to lose a huge number of seats in both states to lose their majorities which basically are near super-majorities (at least I think so). I feel like while the national scene may be heavily tilted towards a republican wave there may not be as much of a move on the local level in the Pacific Northwest.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1692 on: April 01, 2010, 04:50:54 PM »

Rep. Brendan Williams (D-Olympia), one of the most liberal members of the State House, is exploring a bid for the State Supreme Court.

(Not an April Fools joke)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1693 on: April 15, 2010, 01:44:12 AM »

Guys...what happened to us?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1694 on: April 15, 2010, 01:52:10 AM »

Nothing interesting has been happening. Sad
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1695 on: April 15, 2010, 09:04:27 AM »

Well the Legislature finally adjourned. And Tim Eyman's upset about what they did. And Rossi's still flirting with a Senate race.

So yeah.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #1696 on: April 15, 2010, 12:31:38 PM »

lol rossi
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1697 on: April 15, 2010, 12:59:46 PM »

Well the Legislature finally adjourned. And Tim Eyman's upset about what they did. And Rossi's still flirting with a Senate race.

So yeah.

In other words, same old, same old.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1698 on: April 15, 2010, 05:57:07 PM »

Why isn't Tim Eyman running for office in his own right instead of continually hiding behind his initiatives?  This would be the perfect year for him to do that. 
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1699 on: April 15, 2010, 11:01:22 PM »

Why isn't Tim Eyman running for office in his own right instead of continually hiding behind his initiatives?  This would be the perfect year for him to do that. 

Because even in a year like this he would lose handily. There were a few scandals involving his fund raising for initiatives that could easily be exploited. Plus he wants to destroy government, not run it.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 253  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies