California Primary on Tuesday
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:33:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Primary on Tuesday
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: California Primary on Tuesday  (Read 2294 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »
« edited: June 03, 2008, 12:25:58 PM by Vice-Chairman ザハル (さはる) »

The important one, of course. We have primary elections for every office except President. For my House district, CA-15, Mike Honda doesn't have any challengers, though there are a Republican and a Greenie in the GE (neither of whom have any chance). The Democrats haven't even put up a candidate against Republican incumbent Abel Maldonado in Senate District 15 (the evil). The big race is in Assembly District 22, where incumbent Sally Lieber is term-limited. There are four candidates running. The first is Dominic Caserta, a Santa Clara City Councilman who hasn't been doing much campaigning. The second is Paul Fong. The state lists him as a "College Trustee/Professor". He seems to be the establishment candidate; my neighbors, local Democratic Party leaders, have lawn signs supporting him. Next is Anna Song, who serves on the County level. I didn't know she existed until I looked at the official list of candidates. The last one is the Mayor of Cupertino, Kris Wang. She has the best name recognition, which could prove a plus in efforts to get the all-important Asian vote (the names of the candidates pretty much reflect the ethnic distribution of the district). Why does this election matter? Because Mike Honda is getting on in years, and the winner of this election should be his heir appparent.

For those of you not deeply acquainted with South Bay politics, CA-52 (Duncan Hunter's seat) is open, and Tom McClintock the carpetbagger is running in CA-4. Should be a lot of fun. I'll post the results as they come in.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:01:32 AM »

The 15th Assembly District has a competitive Republican primary.  I guess some of them are well-known in the East Bay, but I had never heard of them before they showed up on the ballot. Smiley

The Sacramento mayor's race is actually competitive for the first time I can remember.  The incumbent is going to win, though. Sad

And the 4th CD race is expensive, but McClintock will win convincingly... in the primary and in November.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »

Ya, I suspect McClintock will win.  His support from conservative Rs is too strong and that seat fits well for that type of politician.

What's going on in CA-52?  That's Torie's area of the world, so I expect an update.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 12:18:40 AM »

It's a shame with McClintock. I'd much rather have Ose (of course, I'd take the Democrat first and foremost). On a semi-related note, one of the candidates for CA-4 has placed lots of ads that keep showing up in the top bar here.

Full list of candidates:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/election_2008/updated_list_of_candidates.pdf

That's two Democrats, four Republicans, and a Libertarian in CA-52. Hunter's the favorite, isn't he?
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 12:59:46 AM »

It's a shame with McClintock. I'd much rather have Ose (of course, I'd take the Democrat first and foremost). On a semi-related note, one of the candidates for CA-4 has placed lots of ads that keep showing up in the top bar here.

I like both of them, but McClintock is a much better fit for the district.  I wish Ose had run in CA-11, though of course he preferred a safer district for Republicans.

Apparently Ose's being connected to Abramoff money, so I'm glad he's not the most likely to win in CA-04.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »

My bad, it's today. I'm in the computer lab at school, less than 50 yards from a polling place. Is posting here illegal? Grin
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies