WY-AL: Trauner (D) leads Lummis (R) by 3% in open House race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:29:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Senatorial Election Polls
  WY-AL: Trauner (D) leads Lummis (R) by 3% in open House race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: WY-AL: Trauner (D) leads Lummis (R) by 3% in open House race  (Read 5653 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »

I think there might be some coattail if Governor Freudenthal were running for one of the open Senate seats.

Speaking of slamming my head against the wall to make the pain go away...

...since when do downballot candidates have coattails for other downballot candidates?  Especially when a politician of the other party is romping to victory on the very top of the ticket?

I think it's very rare, but it does happen.  What I would have to investigate is exactly how popular Freudenthal is in the state.  And actually, if he were running for Senate, wouldn't he be considered upballot from Trauner anyway?  Maybe I have it reversed.

But of course, he's not running for Senate so it's purely speculative.

I am trying to think of a case where one candidate -- Governor, Senate, House helped candidates lower on the ballot.  Locally, I can think of several.  When Jill Long (Thompson) was our Congresswoman, Democrats usually fared a little better in county and municipal races in her district.  I am certain enthusiasm for Evan Bayh has helped Democratic congressional candidates in Indiana.  The Republicans and Indies who support Bayh -- some of them of course, not all -- have been willing to give people like Joe Donelly and Brad Ellsworth a try.

The question is -- how much of that is Bayh coattail and how much of it is changing demographic, hard work by the House candidate or a screw up by the opposition?  And I don't know the answer.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies