massachusetts 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 05:47:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  massachusetts 2010
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: massachusetts 2010  (Read 7511 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2008, 01:08:35 PM »

so far as i know, gays have the same amount of rights in this state as i do.

Thanks to the votes of Carl himself.  It's not as if opponents of gay rights don't constantly bring up bills in the legislature to undo all the slow gains of the past couple decades.

i actually agree with carl on gay rights.

but he seems to be a bit of a one trick pony
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »

Thanks to the votes of Carl himself.  It's not as if opponents of gay rights don't constantly bring up bills in the legislature to undo all the slow gains of the past couple decades.

I agree with him as well, but I wish he would spend more time schmoozing with the leadership. Ciampa might have been a jackass, but he was close to Finneran and got a lot of money for the town. Carl has a sort of above it all approach, which is actually one reason I suspect Trane might be an improvement, at least in that respect.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2008, 11:04:17 AM by StateBoiler »

Any chances of an independent run in between the Republicans and Democrats? Cause let's face it, the Massachusetts Republican Party has as much chance at winning as the Libertarians or Greens.

1990, 1994, 1998, and 2002 not withstanding, I presume.

Yes. Cause northeastern liberal Republicans are a dead species. And pretty much any person that the Republicans nominate has to convince the electorate he's not Jesse Helms or George W. Bush, southern Republicans always associate local Democrats running for office with Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton. Is it true? Of course not, but it gets the GOP a few more votes. Plus, Mitt Romney did the Massachusetts Republican Party absolutely no favors with his "I'm taking my ball and going home" routine his last two years running the state.

Face it, the Republican Party on a statewide level is essentially dead. What few liberal/moderate Republicans that are left need to join up with the more centrist-minded Democrats while leaving the state Republican Party to wallow in the 3-5% range as a strictly conservative party if you want to have a competitive governor or senate election within the next 10 years.

Speaking of Carla Howell, can someone tell me how one time she got 12% of the vote against Ted Kennedy and the Republican candidate got only 13%?

And as far as heavy Massachusetts spending, how did Paul Tsongas ever come from this state?
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2008, 12:36:14 PM »

Any chances of an independent run in between the Republicans and Democrats? Cause let's face it, the Massachusetts Republican Party has as much chance at winning as the Libertarians or Greens.

1990, 1994, 1998, and 2002 not withstanding, I presume.

Fixed Yes. Cause northeastern liberal Republicans are a dead species. And pretty much any person that the Republicans nominate has to convince the electorate he's not Jesse Helms or George W. Bush, southern Republicans always associate local Democrats running for office with Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton. Is it true? Of course not, but it gets the GOP a few more votes. Plus, Mitt Romney did the Massachusetts Republican Party absolutely no favors with his "I'm taking my ball and going home" routine his last two years running the state.

Face it, the Republican Party on a statewide level is essentially dead. What few liberal/moderate Republicans that are left need to join up with the more centrist-minded Democrats while leaving the state Republican Party to wallow in the 3-5% range as a strictly conservative party if you want to have a competitive governor or senate election within the next 10 years.

Speaking of Carla Howell, can someone tell me how one time she got 12% of the vote against Ted Kennedy and the Republican candidate got only 13%?

And as far as heavy Massachusetts spending, how did Paul Tsongas ever come from this state?

Fixed. In Federal elections yes, but in state elections this is complete bs. The entire electorate is completely different. Let me give you an example of my town, Winchester which is by any means a democratic stronghold in federal races. it went to Kerry by 22 points, Gore by 28, and Clinton by the same margin. Yet in state elections its voted Republican every single election since 1990(combining the Mihos and Healey votes in 2006.

Or take my parents who have not voted GOP federally for anything since the 70s, but voted GOP in 1990, 1994, and 1998, and plan to do so again for whoever runs against Patrick. I would in fact argue right now that whoever the generic republican is in 2010 easily starts at forty percent and If he is halfway decent is probably at least a tossup against Patrick.

As for spending I wish people would stop repeating the lie about high Massachusetts taxes. We have the lowest taxes in the Northeast, with average tax burden almost identical with NH, and the twelfth lowest in the country. I don't see why we still get tarred with the Massachusetts's thing.

http://bluemassgroup.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=11649
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2008, 01:19:04 PM »

Oh, that's simple.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Further:

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2008, 02:14:40 PM »

Oh, that's simple.

Further:

So Howell got the disaffected Republican vote that didn't want to vote for Kennedy.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2008, 08:21:37 PM »

I agree with him as well, but I wish he would spend more time schmoozing with the leadership. Ciampa might have been a jackass, but he was close to Finneran and got a lot of money for the town. Carl has a sort of above it all approach, which is actually one reason I suspect Trane might be an improvement, at least in that respect.

Carl has emphasized constitutent services. His work is one reason the Green Line got into the budget, finally.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2008, 09:56:32 PM »

Oh, that's simple.

Further:

LOL?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2008, 08:18:40 AM »

Carl has emphasized constitutent services. His work is one reason the Green Line got into the budget, finally.

yuppies take the green line!  Smiley

i ride the red line...with the drunkards, ne'erdowells and...townies! 
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2008, 03:24:32 PM »

Yeah but Medford got screwed in the last round of local aid revisions. I guess I am looking at it from a Medford townie perspective, but thats the point. You make the mistake of electing someone from Somerville in district and they think the entire district is Somerville.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 07:49:05 PM »

Yeah but Medford got screwed in the last round of local aid revisions. I guess I am looking at it from a Medford townie perspective, but thats the point. You make the mistake of electing someone from Somerville in district and they think the entire district is Somerville.

Carl lives in Medford now, and electing an alderman from Somerville is not the way to resolve this.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2008, 10:33:19 PM »

I'm not sure how the Red Line can be the drunkards and townies line given that it passes through Harvard Square, but anyway. It's certainly not the Orange Line.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2008, 11:25:23 PM »

I'm not sure how the Red Line can be the drunkards and townies line given that it passes through Harvard Square, but anyway. It's certainly not the Orange Line.

when i take the subway, i usually walk to davis square.  davis is infested with bums accosting people for money.  not only that, when im with my son, i use the elevator, which reeks of piss because the hobos use it as their own personal toilet.

the worst stop on the orange line (outside of boston) is malden.  i was there today.  at least 3 people asked me for a dollar.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2008, 11:29:01 PM »

The Red Line is certainly more "upscale" than the Green Line, which is primarily for the non-MIT/Harvard college students.  The Orange Line is pure townie.

And when it comes to the homeless, Davis Square is actually pretty good.  Harvard Square is bum center.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 12:06:06 AM »

The Red Line is certainly more "upscale" than the Green Line, which is primarily for the non-MIT/Harvard college students.  The Orange Line is pure townie.

And when it comes to the homeless, Davis Square is actually pretty good.  Harvard Square is bum center.

when i go to harvard...i either walk...or take bus 96
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 01:25:39 AM »

when i go to harvard...i either walk...or take bus 96

Ewwwwwwwwwww, bus.  Yeah, you can walk to Harvard from here, but it's easier to take the train.  I'm not that hard up for the $1.70.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »

the trains are just as gross as the buses.

plus route 96 isnt that bad. not too many pesky poor folks.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies