massachusetts 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:17:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  massachusetts 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: massachusetts 2010  (Read 7455 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2008, 02:07:19 PM »

i guess the biggest question is will deval patrick get a primary challenger?  tim cahill? william galvin?  martha coackley?

what about possible republicans? (other than charles baker)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:49:57 PM »

i guess the biggest question is will deval patrick get a primary challenger?  tim cahill? william galvin?  martha coackley?

I want Tim Cahill, but I would expect Martha Coakley to be the inevitable next Governor.

As for other Republicans, Reed Hillman is a possibility.  Possibly Sen. Scott Brown, who is one of the biggest "alpha male" pricks on the planet.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 03:58:22 PM »

Perhaps a certain W. Mitt Romney?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »

Unlikely.  It doesn't fit in well with his 2012 bid for President.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »

I want Tim Cahill, but I would expect Martha Coakley to be the inevitable next Governor.

As for other Republicans, Reed Hillman is a possibility.  Possibly Sen. Scott Brown, who is one of the biggest "alpha male" pricks on the planet.

didnt reed hillman get appointed us marshall for mass...something like that.  i doubt he will run.

in what way is brown a prick?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 06:15:49 PM »

There is no one more arrogant on the planet.  Spend any time at all with him, and you'll understand what I'm talking about.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:52:12 AM »

Any chances of an independent run in between the Republicans and Democrats? Cause let's face it, the Massachusetts Republican Party has as much chance at winning as the Libertarians or Greens.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 08:55:18 AM »

Any chances of an independent run in between the Republicans and Democrats? Cause let's face it, the Massachusetts Republican Party has as much chance at winning as the Libertarians or Greens.

The Libertarians did nearly manage to push the Republicans into third in 2000.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 09:00:57 AM »

Carla Howell or her husband may run again for the LP, particularly if the tax repeal referendum passes and gets ignored by the legislature.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 09:50:57 AM »

I think that the Mass. GOP should "pull a Puerto Rico" and form some sort of independent state-based party that is a coalition of Republicans and disaffected Dems.   No state should be run by one party alone.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 10:59:17 AM »

1990, 1994, 1998, and 2002 not withstanding, I presume.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 11:05:31 AM »

Carla Howell or her husband may run again for the LP, particularly if the tax repeal referendum passes and gets ignored by the legislature.

It is embarassing that the income tax repeal got as much support as it did last time.

I must admit, though, that the most tempting arguement for voting for it is that the powers that be in the legislature have already said they'd ignore the will of the voters in case it was passed.

The Libertarians did nearly manage to push the Republicans into third in 2000.

Such things tend to happen when your U.S. Senate candidate is officially disowned by the state party.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 12:07:50 PM »

I think that the Mass. GOP should "pull a Puerto Rico" and form some sort of independent state-based party that is a coalition of Republicans and disaffected Dems.   No state should be run by one party alone.

massachusetts isnt run by one party.

there are different factions in the democrat party.  that is why governor patrick cant get anything passed.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 12:25:13 PM »

He wants to run for President again in 2012, not to mention he left office with abysmal approval ratings due to his rightward lurch to run for the GOP Primary while still in office.
Bluegrass Cruiser 420
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 06:01:21 PM »

It is embarassing that the income tax repeal got as much support as it did last time.

I must admit, though, that the most tempting arguement for voting for it is that the powers that be in the legislature have already said they'd ignore the will of the voters in case it was passed.

Thus proving what elitist, self-serving and power hungry politicians they are.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2008, 06:07:11 PM »

Tell it to George Bush for not pulling out of Iraq. Or does that not count?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 07:02:18 PM »

Well, granted, the reason I'd vote against the income tax repeal is because the state would totally fall apart without the income tax with the way we're spending, and that the likely solution to make up for such a shortfall would be for Beacon Hill to reduce local aid to $0, which would probably triple our already near-highest-in-the-country property taxes.

I totally understand why they'd want to ignore the will of the voters in this case, but to flat out say that the voter's will doesn't matter months before election day just smacks of the kind of elitism that would make me vote Republican on a legislative level (if a Republican ever ran here on a legislative level, that is).
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »

mr. moderate, im not sure which state house district you live in, but i hear that carl sciortino didnt get on the primary ballot.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 09:08:52 AM »

mr. moderate, im not sure which state house district you live in, but i hear that carl sciortino didnt get on the primary ballot.

He lost some signature sheets between the city certification and submitting them to the Secretary of State's office. Bob Trane, an alderman from Somerville, is on the ballot to spite Sciortino for the Progressive Democrats of Somerville running a challenger against him in the city elections this year. Sciortino's running a sticker campaign in the primary.

Trane doesn't have any real issues to run against Carl, only townies vs. yuppies, which is b.s. but resonates with some people. Perhaps even some people who don't own the Somerville News, even.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 10:10:40 AM »

He lost some signature sheets between the city certification and submitting them to the Secretary of State's office. Bob Trane, an alderman from Somerville, is on the ballot to spite Sciortino for the Progressive Democrats of Somerville running a challenger against him in the city elections this year. Sciortino's running a sticker campaign in the primary.

Trane doesn't have any real issues to run against Carl, only townies vs. yuppies, which is b.s. but resonates with some people. Perhaps even some people who don't own the Somerville News, even.

serves carl right.  he started this fight.

what issues does carl have?  other than 'look at me im a gay and i support gay rights'
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 10:32:37 AM »

i dont think i could vote for either of these clowns in the primary.  im not a townie or a yuppie.  nor am i a gay.  so i fail to see what either candidate offers someone like me.

i hope to god there is a republican running in the fall.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 01:17:36 AM »

i dont think i could vote for either of these clowns in the primary.  im not a townie or a yuppie.  nor am i a gay.  so i fail to see what either candidate offers someone like me.

i hope to god there is a republican running in the fall.

With Somerville in the district a Republican doesn't have a chance. Trane is a marginal improvement over Sciortino in my view solely in that he pisses off the "progressives". Anyway, the GOP is running a spectacular 29 candidates for 160 seats in the state house.

As for Patrick, I sincerely doubt he is going to run again. If he does, his problem in the primary will less be the fact that he is unpopular with democrats(he maintains enough liberal support to survive that) than the fact that he will almost certainly lose the general election to Charlie Baker, the current head of Harvard Pilgrim Health who looks likely to be the 2010 GOP candidate.

Patrick has national ambitions as demonstrated by his poorly timed book deal - those ambitions would be poorly served by losing reelection.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 02:47:26 AM »

I know.  I'm going to be helping with the write-in effort.  Ugh.

what issues does carl have?  other than 'look at me im a gay and i support gay rights'

Well, I come down on the yuppie side of the townie v. yuppie fight; and being young and supporting gay rights is good enough for me.  I don't mind having a niche gay legislator considering the sheer number of homosexuals who actually live in this district.  It's freakin' Somerville, here.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 12:14:05 PM »

I know.  I'm going to be helping with the write-in effort.  Ugh.

Well, I come down on the yuppie side of the townie v. yuppie fight; and being young and supporting gay rights is good enough for me.  I don't mind having a niche gay legislator considering the sheer number of homosexuals who actually live in this district.  It's freakin' Somerville, here.

so far as i know, gays have the same amount of rights in this state as i do.

and yuppies certainly have more opportunities than a poor like myself.

i fail to see what carl offers me.

and townies are just as obnoxious as the yuppies.  most of those trashers just make me lose hope.  i especially like the ones who call somerville 'summaville'
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 01:00:15 PM »

so far as i know, gays have the same amount of rights in this state as i do.

Thanks to the votes of Carl himself.  It's not as if opponents of gay rights don't constantly bring up bills in the legislature to undo all the slow gains of the past couple decades.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies