KY: Switch from Mitch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:53:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 Senatorial Election Polls
  KY: Switch from Mitch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: KY: Switch from Mitch  (Read 4618 times)
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:08:08 AM »

Rasmussen has Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell trailing his Democratic challenger, Bruce Lunsford, 49%-44%.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/election_20082/2008_senate_elections/kentucky/election_2008_kentucky_senate

McConnell has a 52%-42% favorability rating, not bad for a party leader, so this looks to be a wave result more than anything else.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:09:54 AM »

Are we finished considering Rasmussen a credible polling firm?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 09:10:53 AM »

Lunsford might as well be McConnell, so I'm not sure what anyone is cheering about.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:13:40 AM »

Lunsford might as well be McConnell, so I'm not sure what anyone is cheering about.

Lunsford won't be a skilled fundraiser and legislative tactician for the Republicans.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 09:14:32 AM »

After the uprising of the 17th June
The Secretary of the Writers Union
Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
Stating that the people
Had forfeited the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
--Bertolt Brecht
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 09:17:20 AM »

After the uprising of the 17th June
The Secretary of the Writers Union
Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
Stating that the people
Had forfeited the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?
--Bertolt Brecht

Maybe you can
Tell me what you mean
When you post
A Poem of some sorts
In response
To
My comment. Many
Thanks.

-- Phil
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:22:35 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2008, 09:24:09 AM by brittain33 »

Maybe you can
Tell me what you mean
When you post
A Poem of some sorts
In response
To
My comment. Many
Thanks.

-- Phil

It was an allusion in response to the question of who is at fault for a response like this, the people asking the question or the people who refuse to give the answer that is expected.

Certainly some polls misfire--but given the results for Dole and Cornyn in other polls, it seems as if voters nearly everywhere outside of Wyoming and Utah are willing to consider ditching their established senators for generic alternatives.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 09:34:46 AM »

Maybe you can
Tell me what you mean
When you post
A Poem of some sorts
In response
To
My comment. Many
Thanks.

-- Phil

It was an allusion in response to the question of who is at fault for a response like this, the people asking the question or the people who refuse to give the answer that is expected.

Certainly some polls misfire--but given the results for Dole and Cornyn in other polls, it seems as if voters nearly everywhere outside of Wyoming and Utah are willing to consider ditching their established senators for generic alternatives.

So how did McConnell lose the twelve point lead he had two weeks ago?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 09:37:43 AM »

The primary happened, Lunsford became the nominee.

I see this like Kerry's big lead over Bush immediately after he secured the nomination--he's the repository of all the potential anti-incumbent vote. We'll see if it lasts, but it likely won't.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 09:45:05 AM »

So wait...

We have a poll from two weeks ago showing McConnell's favorability at 48% and winning re-election with 48% of the vote. Now we have a poll showing his approval is above 50% (at 52%) yet he somehow loses support and only 44% will vote for re-elect McConnell. Interesting. We won't point out that this poll is probably trash because saying this is a "wave election for the Dems" is just a lot more fun.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 09:47:05 AM »

So wait...

We have a poll from two weeks ago showing McConnell's favorability at 48% and winning re-election with 48% of the vote. Now we have a poll showing his approval is above 50% (at 52%) yet he somehow loses support and only 44% will vote for re-elect McConnell. Interesting. We won't point out that this poll is probably trash because saying this is a "wave election for the Dems" is just a lot more fun.

Why weren't you there to call the Rasmussen poll showing Clinton winning Kentucky be several points trash, too?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 09:48:14 AM »

Why weren't you there to call the Rasmussen poll showing Clinton winning Kentucky be several points trash, too?

Probably because I don't feel the need to comment about polling a candidate who won't make it to the General election.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 09:53:33 AM »

So your claim is that it is impossible, or unacceptable, for a senator to poll below his favorability? Collins has favorability in the 60s or higher. Does anyone seriously believe she's going to win with 67% in November?

That was my point. In a normal election, a candidate's personal approval can trump the unfavorability of his party or the perceived direction of the country. In a wave election, the party becomes an anchor around the candidate's neck. McConnell is a creature of the national party more than a senator from his own state in a way matched by few other senators. Like Mike DeWine, he is also collateral damage from a scandalized and ineffective state party--although unlike DeWine, he had a hand in its governance.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 09:56:20 AM »

So your claim is that it is impossible, or unacceptable, for a senator to poll below his favorability? Collins has favorability in the 60s or higher. Does anyone seriously believe she's going to win with 67% in November?

No, I'm saying it's highly unlikely that a Senator would go from being below 50% approval two weeks ago yet winning his race by twelve points to suddenly being above 50% approval yet trailing in his race by five points.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah, I got that. I'm saying that calling it a wave election and seeing McConnell as a victim of it based on this one poll is premature.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 10:53:42 AM »

No, I'm saying it's highly unlikely that a Senator would go from being below 50% approval two weeks ago yet winning his race by twelve points to suddenly being above 50% approval yet trailing in his race by five points.

Ok, then;

First, I'd say that McConnell's changes in approval rating are close to within MOE, so there's nothing meaningful in that change nor is there anything magical about the 50%. It's usually 50% in horse race numbers that people cite as the safe number.

Secondly, I'd ask, on what basis can you decide the first poll is the real one and the second one is wrong? They are two data points, and they aren't even from the same environment in time. If we had three other polls taken post primary showing Mitch leading by big sums, that would make this a true outlier, but it isn't.

I do not think it is premature to call it a wave election, not if the election were held today, not with the results we're seeing everywhere and the predictions from pundits like Stu Rothenberg. Republicans are getting slammed in the Senate, and they know it. Not only that, but it's hard to see what could change that.

I think it follows that McConnell is affected by it. Whether he'll be a victim remains to be seen, and Lunsford hasn't proven himself.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 11:15:33 AM »

Well hot damn. Clearly this is an outlier affected by primary advertisements... but this is at least vaguely competitive.

Solid Dem really.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 11:28:08 AM »

Rasmussen is weird.  At one stage it was definitely exaggeratedly Republican - now it seems that it is favouring every Democratic challenger across America in a competetive race.  I do not believe this, though I want to.  My predictions (at this stage as meaningless as a Ramussen poll?) -

KENTUCKY PRESIDENT -
59% (R) McCain
38% (D) Obama

KENTUCKY SENATE -
54% (R) McConnell
43% (D) Lunsford

Subject to change of course. 
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »

hmmm...  McCain down 9 to Clinton in Kentucky, McConnell down 5 to Lunsford.  Makes total sense, actually.

Too bad Obama would still lose to McCain even if this was merely a poll of Democrats.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »

Why are you bashing polling companies?  They are mere providers of information.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 11:48:57 AM »

Hey Phil, I agree with you that something is fishy with this poll, but lets wait until another polls comes out to see if it backs this up or not.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 11:53:12 AM »

I've been kinda expecting a poll like this for a while now.  If every other Republican in the damn country is endangered, why not Sen. McConnell too with a mediocre approval rating?

Dems kinda shot themselves in the foot by going with a weak challenger here.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »

Secondly, I'd ask, on what basis can you decide the first poll is the real one and the second one is wrong? They are two data points, and they aren't even from the same environment in time. If we had three other polls taken post primary showing Mitch leading by big sums, that would make this a true outlier, but it isn't.

I think you're kind of making my point. I'm saying that we shouldn't strongly believe either of them since they show such drastic swings within such a short period of time (and nothing significant has happened).

As of...May. Check back in September.

Why are you bashing polling companies?  They are mere providers of information.

When they start to get goofy with results, "providing information" isn't good.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 12:54:45 PM »

Ahhh Goood ! :-)

That makes their extremely Clinton-biased GE poll shine in a new light ...
Rococo4

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 01:48:17 PM »

I think McConnell wins, but ticket splitting isnt that far fetched here.....Kentucky went big for Bush in 04 and Bunning nearly lost his Senate race.  Sure he ran a bizarre campaign, but it shows it could happen.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 01:57:06 PM »

McConnell up 11 points in internal polling

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) holds an 11-point lead over his Democratic opponent, businessman Bruce Lunsford, according to the McConnell campaign’s internal polling released today.

The poll shows McConnell leading Lunsford 50 to 39 percent in a head-to-head matchup, The numbers are unchanged in McConnell’s internal polling since Lunsford won the Democratic primary this month.

The poll also shows McConnell holding a strong job approval rating: 57 percent of respondents said they approved of McConnell’s job performance while 30 percent disapproved.

Fifty-five percent of voters had a favorable impression of McConnell, while 32 percent had an unfavorable impression. Lunsford had a lower net favorability rating: 34 percent held a positive impression of him, while 20 percent had an unfavorable impression.

The poll surveyed 600 likely voters between May 21-22, and was conducted by the GOP firm Voter/Consumer Research. The poll has a four percent margin of error.

It contradicts the numbers from a newly-released automated Rasmussen poll, which shows Lunsford leading McConnell, 49 to 44 percent.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecrypt/0508/McConnell_up_11_points_in_internal_polling.html
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies