Supersoulty/Xahar: Memphis, TN
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 10:50:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Supersoulty/Xahar: Memphis, TN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Supersoulty/Xahar: Memphis, TN  (Read 3162 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2008, 12:06:28 AM »

Today, I have a very important message. It starts with where we are. Why have I chosen Memphis for this speech? Because it is the capital of the Southeast, the most potent symbol of a grave issue Atlasia must face and overcome.

I am glad that regional decay has been brought to the forefront. The most popular way to resolve the issue seems to be a reduction of the regions. In this case, the popular way is the right way. But so far, no maps have been created for new regions. In an example of the can-do spirit that permeates this entire campaign, the Supersoulty/Xahar team has made not one, but two:

Each of these maps has its own merits; the important thing is that we are getting something done, be it through the crisp borders of the Mississippi and Potomac, or through a new Dixie.

But this is not enough. Gubernatorial elections remain largely uncontested, for the offices are sinecures, and poor ones at that. An increase in gubernatorial power is clearly necessary, if we want a federal system. How can this be done? The first method is regional influence in Nyman. We propose a system in which federal laws can be placed to a national referendum by the decision of a majority of governors. Another is, of all things, a return to districts. The Senate should be enlarged to 12 to offset the loss of offices, and either 3 or 4 districts implemented, just like the olden days.

These plans are the basis of the Soulty/Xahar forum affairs agenda. If Atlasia is to survive and prosper, we must rise to this challenge.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:18:32 AM »

I applaud the effort. I'm not sure if this is the exact solution I want, but something must be done soon.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 01:30:33 AM »

Mr. Xahar deserves the full credit for this proposal.  He brought it to my attention, worked it out and developed it.  I think he did a fine job.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:55:50 AM »

Wow.  I realize that there are areas of our country in urgent need of reform (and rescue!), but I will oppose any attempt to break up or otherwise alter the fully-functional Northeast Region.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 03:43:36 AM »

Wow.  I realize that there are areas of our country in urgent need of reform (and rescue!), but I will oppose any attempt to break up or otherwise alter the fully-functional Northeast Region.

Rather short sighted of you to "preserve" one region at the detriment of all the others.

And besides, this is only a demonstration of how this could work... its not a final product.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2008, 11:09:12 AM by Mr. Moderate, SoFA »

Rather short sighted of you to "preserve" one region at the detriment of all the others.

And besides, this is only a demonstration of how this could work... its not a final product.

Redrawing the map is a "fun" exercise, but it does not address the real problems.  The second map keeps the Southeast region almost entirely intact with little change, when that's the region in most need of renewed activity.  The main point of it seems to be to cannibalize the Midwest region, who has a steadily dwindling, but active, citizenry.

One main reason why the Northeast Region has such a significant following is the fact that it's government works.  It wasn't always like that—a lot of credit is due to MAS, Verily, Rocky, Andrew, and Lief.  But there is nothing special about the Northeast's revival that cannot be replicated elsewhere in Atlasia.

The inactivity of the Southeast—Atlasia's most conservative region by any measure—is directly proportional to the demoralization of conservatives in Atlasia.  We've had a number of fine Senators from the Southeast simply get frustrated with the direction of the country and just give up.  I think that's unfortunate—we need to try and cultivate new, active conservative leadership to help revive the region.

Playing around with the sovereignty of the regions is not something I would propose as an initial volley in a Presidential campaign—it's a course of last resort.  Especially when you consider that even in the Southeast's darkest hour, there are conservatives here in Atlasia interested in taking the helm there: kingofthebenchpress moved to the region to seek office as Governor.  (Former Sen. DWTL has moved there too, presumably for the same reason.  While I know there are many who disliked his style of legislating, few can argue that he didn't make for an...interesting...player on the Atlasian scene!)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 12:12:28 PM »

Redrawing the map is a "fun" exercise, but it does not address the real problems.  The second map keeps the Southeast region almost entirely intact with little change, when that's the region in most need of renewed activity.  The main point of it seems to be to cannibalize the Midwest region, who has a steadily dwindling, but active, citizenry.

One main reason why the Northeast Region has such a significant following is the fact that it's government works.  It wasn't always like that—a lot of credit is due to MAS, Verily, Rocky, Andrew, and Lief.  But there is nothing special about the Northeast's revival that cannot be replicated elsewhere in Atlasia.

The inactivity of the Southeast—Atlasia's most conservative region by any measure—is directly proportional to the demoralization of conservatives in Atlasia.  We've had a number of fine Senators from the Southeast simply get frustrated with the direction of the country and just give up.  I think that's unfortunate—we need to try and cultivate new, active conservative leadership to help revive the region.

Playing around with the sovereignty of the regions is not something I would propose as an initial volley in a Presidential campaign—it's a course of last resort.  Especially when you consider that even in the Southeast's darkest hour, there are conservatives here in Atlasia interested in taking the helm there: kingofthebenchpress moved to the region to seek office as Governor.  (Former Sen. DWTL has moved there too, presumably for the same reason.  While I know there are many who disliked his style of legislating, few can argue that he didn't make for an...interesting...player on the Atlasian scene!)

The second map includes Virginia, and that makes a great deal of difference. I agree that redrawing the map can't be the only thing done, and this is why I have made other proposals as well.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 01:58:46 PM »

Before you get all over-zealous on us, Mr. Secretary, you do realize that any proposal changing the regional make up would require a Constitutional Amendment, and as such would require the approval of the regions anyway?  Should the Senate and my Administration debate this and discover that this is the best option, then I will enlist all members of the Federal government to work hard for its passage at the regional level, but ultimately, their fate woudl be in their hands.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »

Before you get all over-zealous on us, Mr. Secretary, you do realize that any proposal changing the regional make up would require a Constitutional Amendment, and as such would require the approval of the regions anyway?

Of course, and this would presumably fail, especially if the purpose of the exercise is to eliminate select regions.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »

I'm not very good as understanding this virtual world, but if this amendment gives the South its own region, then I funny support it. It is high time we were recognized. I do believe it's capital should be in Charleston, as it has much more historical prominence than Memphis.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 02:58:15 PM »

I'm not very good as understanding this virtual world, but if this amendment gives the South its own region, then I funny support it. It is high time we were recognized. I do believe it's capital should be in Charleston, as it has much more historical prominence than Memphis.

The south already has its own region.  It's the blue part of the second map, without the state of Virginia tacked on.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2008, 03:22:37 PM by Supersoulty »

Before you get all over-zealous on us, Mr. Secretary, you do realize that any proposal changing the regional make up would require a Constitutional Amendment, and as such would require the approval of the regions anyway?

Of course, and this would presumably fail, especially if the purpose of the exercise is to eliminate select regions.

show me the region that is eliminated under this proposal?  Can you name if for me?  Which region is it Mr. Sec, which region explicitly, that is eliminated?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2008, 07:42:50 PM »

The Midwest is killed off in both maps. A little odd as the Mideast is far more dysfunctional.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2008, 07:47:08 PM »

The Midwest is killed off in both maps. A little odd as the Mideast is far more dysfunctional.

How is it that the Midwest is "killed off".  We subtract a district in one of the maps (which is the one I prefer), but no place gets "killed off" the boarders just shift.  There is no "loser", its an adjustment, and each voter will be fairly represented.  You guys act as though one place is conquering another and subjecting them.  That's simply not the case.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2008, 07:47:11 PM »

Speaking as Lt. Governor of the Mideast, I am offended by that statement.  The Mideast functions very well.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »

Speaking as Lt. Governor of the Mideast, I am offended by that statement.  The Mideast functions very well.

Speaking as a former Governor of the Mideast - as is Al - no it doesn't.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »

Speaking as a former Mideast Governor - as is Al - no it doesn't.

Would either of you care to give some examples as to why the Mideast apparently does not function well?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2008, 07:56:46 PM »

How is it that the Midwest is "killed off".  We subtract a district in one of the maps (which is the one I prefer), but no place gets "killed off" the boarders just shift.  There is no "loser", its an adjustment, and each voter will be fairly represented.  You guys act as though one place is conquering another and subjecting them.  That's simply not the case.

This is the second map:

This is the existing regional map:

While there are boundary changes everywhere, it's pretty clear which region has been outright eliminated.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2008, 10:41:23 PM »

Speaking as a former Governor of the Mideast - as is Al - no it doesn't.
hell, i'm the current governor of the Mideast and I know things can definitely run better, but I'm too busy playing racquetball with rich people and having relations with interns to fix it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2008, 11:21:29 PM »

I'll say that the 4 region map is not my favorite; I much prefer three.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 11:56:49 PM »

You do know what you just said didn't you? Every region in Atlasia can indeed function better than they currently are, even the Pacific and the Northeast whom are "powerhouses", if you would like to call it, when it comes to regional legislation.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 12:36:18 AM »

God I love this country.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix