Should post-birth abortions be legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:45:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should post-birth abortions be legal?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should post-birth abortions be legal?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Should post-birth abortions be legal?  (Read 6654 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008, 03:31:17 PM »

Since migrendel supports it, does this mean all Clinton supporters do?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 06:25:22 PM »

Well, really whats the difference?  An infant isn't really a person, if you think about it.  It has no life of its own.  It's just a parasite that sucks off its mother.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 06:31:00 PM »

And no, I haven't lost my mind, and I'm not just being an asshole, I am interested to see what someone who supports abortion, particularly late term, has as their reasoning to why this should not be.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 08:20:35 PM »

And no, I haven't lost my mind, and I'm not just being an asshole, I am interested to see what someone who supports abortion, particularly late term, has as their reasoning to why this should not be.

A born infant could theoretically be raised by another parent, whereas a fetus is dependent on the mother's body.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »

I don't support late term or partial birth; to me, life begins when a fetus can live outside of the womb.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 10:23:12 PM »

A born infant could theoretically be raised by another parent, whereas a fetus is dependent on the mother's body.

Okay, just out of curiousity, would you think that if someone invites a handicapped person into their home, and then decides that the handicapped person is a nuisance, would the homeowner be justified in shooting the handicapped person?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 10:56:07 PM »

Only for the OP of this thread.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 10:58:58 PM »

Okay, just out of curiousity, would you think that if someone invites a handicapped person into their home, and then decides that the handicapped person is a nuisance, would the homeowner be justified in shooting the handicapped person?

Certainly not!
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 12:09:25 AM »

Certainly not!

You just fell right into his trap!! Lord help us Sad
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 12:31:02 AM »

I don't support late term or partial birth; to me, life begins when a fetus can live outside of the womb.

Viability changes with advances in medical science.  When Roe v. Wade was decided, the average viability would have been 6-8 weeks ahead of what it can be now.

Can you really define human life's beginning as something which is constantly changing?

The handicapped person is not dependent on the homeowner to live; they can go somewhere else.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 12:45:05 AM »

No - infanticide is a terrible atrocity.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 12:55:49 AM »

I'll add your name to my list of Atlas's Bravest Posters.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2008, 12:59:31 AM »

I'll add your name to my list of Atlas's Bravest Posters.

Huh?
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008, 01:10:21 AM »

Sorry, I just find this thread full of people individually declaring their hatred of killing babies on the pointless side.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2008, 03:24:16 AM »

Totally arbitrary.  Certainly since medical technology has now not only allowed pre-mature babies to live outside their mothers, but also it has allowed for the transfer of embryos.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »

The handicapped person is not dependent on the homeowner to live; they can go somewhere else.

Regardless, the woman still knew that the fetus would be staying in here uterus for nine months when she "invited" the sperm to produce the fetus into her uterus. I'm on the fence on this issue.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2008, 04:07:33 PM »

Regardless, the woman still knew that the fetus would be staying in here uterus for nine months when she "invited" the sperm to produce the fetus into her uterus. I'm on the fence on this issue.
Yes, but you must remember it is the baby's fault the woman got pregnant, it couldn't possibly be her fault
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2008, 08:15:27 PM »

If the baby has serious problems and won’t be able to live for long anyway, then I don’t have a problem with a termination of the child’s life. This would of course be only done in extreme situations, but I believe that killing a newborn can occasionally be a more compassionate act then leaving a severally disabled child alive who will likely be dead within a few years anyway. I also support euthanasia, for what its worth. I remember watching my aunt die when I was like 9 and she just continued to cling to life even after weeks in the hospital. Eventually her lungs filled with blood and she drowned and died, but I’ve always thought it would be more humane to just give people a shot like we do for our pets and kill them when they become too ill.

But as for the main topic, in cases where the child won't live long anyway, yes.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2008, 10:41:26 PM »

No.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »

If the baby has serious problems and won’t be able to live for long anyway, then I don’t have a problem with a termination of the child’s life. This would of course be only done in extreme situations, but I believe that killing a newborn can occasionally be a more compassionate act then leaving a severally disabled child alive who will likely be dead within a few years anyway. I also support euthanasia, for what its worth. I remember watching my aunt die when I was like 9 and she just continued to cling to life even after weeks in the hospital. Eventually her lungs filled with blood and she drowned and died, but I’ve always thought it would be more humane to just give people a shot like we do for our pets and kill them when they become too ill.

But as for the main topic, in cases where the child won't live long anyway, yes.

Well, that is of course a different situation.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies