Would you like for your area to be over 85% for your candidates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:38:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would you like for your area to be over 85% for your candidates?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you like for your area to be over 85% for your candidates?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Would you like for your area to be over 85% for your candidates?  (Read 2136 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »

Just wondering, since I know of people who say things like they'd prefer not to live in an echo chamber even for their side, etc. etc.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:18:50 PM »

I don't care.  I like living in urban areas and that pretty much limits my potentials.

If I vote McCain, the answer would be "hell no."  I can't imagine an enjoyable area that's 85%+ Republican.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:23:26 PM »

I don't care.  I like living in urban areas and that pretty much limits my potentials.

Then why the hell did you constantly side with dazzleman and Gabu defending suburbs against me?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:24:57 PM »

Well, my beach house out on Kiawah Island is in an area with 90% Republican voters. Our former neighbors were from New Jersey and big Democrats, but they didn't like Obama.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:26:21 PM »

Then why the hell did you constantly side with dazzleman and Gabu defending suburbs against me?

I'm not a fascist who wants to enforce my subjective preferences on everyone else.

Haven't I answered that before?

Well, my beach house out on Kiawah Island is in an area with 90% Republican voters.

More like 73%
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 10:27:39 PM »

I'm not a fascist who wants to enforce my subjective preferences on everyone else.

But you actually recited anti-urban talking points.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 10:27:54 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2008, 11:05:53 PM by Torie »

An 85% Dem area, a few of them, would be perfectly agreeable to me.  The 85% or more GOP areas would be in West Texas, and some Dutch counties, or somewhere in the Southeast like Forseyth County, Georgia, or Jackson County, Kentucky, or some military area, and the answer is hell no!
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 10:32:05 PM »

i spent most of the day today in cambridge mass.  im completely comfortable around folks who differ from me politically.

brtd, there is more to life than 'who did you vote for?'
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 10:33:01 PM »

I don't agree with them, but some other people do.  There are valid reasons to prefer the suburbs, even if they are psychological-only.  If you feel safer in the suburbs, then maybe that's a better thing for your general well-being.  Again it's not my opinion, but I understand that not everyone is exactly like me.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 10:33:47 PM »

Well, my beach house out on Kiawah Island is in an area with 90% Republican voters.

More like 73%

Where did you find that data? I once heard it was upwards of 90%, but 73% sounds believable. I'm not doubting you.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 10:35:43 PM »

Where did you find that data? I once heard it was upwards of 90%, but 73% sounds believable. I'm not doubting you.

If you're a paying member on the Atlas, you can look up precinct results in several states, including South Carolina.  If it's the Kiawah Island precinct in Charleston County - Bush 602, Kerry 216, Peroutka 5, Nader 2.  Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »

I don't agree with them, but some other people do.  There are valid reasons to prefer the suburbs, even if they are psychological-only.  If you feel safer in the suburbs, then maybe that's a better thing for your general well-being.  Again it's not my opinion, but I understand that not everyone is exactly like me.

What until you have school age kids. The economic imperatives will drive matters, unless you are making the big bucks as a lawyer or investment banker or software wizard or something.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 10:42:52 PM »

What until you have school age kids. The economic imperatives will drive matters, unless you are making the big bucks as a lawyer or investment banker or software wizard or something.

Eh, there are some very nice residential areas of the city too with good schools.  Money would be a concern I suppose, but I could never imagine living in one of those sprawly development areas.  It just seems soul-draining to me.  Maybe that will change, but until then, West Seattle is as suburban as I'm willing to consider.

I could always be a hip parent and raise my kid in a condo Smiley  Up in Vancouver, there's an entire high-rise family neighborhood (West Vancouver) although it is completely, totally unaffordable.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2008, 10:54:22 PM by Torie »

Some of those north Seattle neighborhoods look like burbs to me. But if hip places like Queen Ann or that neighborhood with all of those cute little houses the name of which  I can think of at the moment (edit: I looked it up: Ravenna), but it is somewhere near the University, have good public schools, more power to you. I found Madison kind of sterile.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 11:03:16 PM »

What is emo?  Those three letters keep popping up here. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 11:07:22 PM »

Using the mainstream definition, it's the whiny adolescent musical phenomenon that causes 15-year-olds to dress like this:

You've probably seen them if you've been to a mall anytime in the last five years.

Using BRTD's definition, which is technically correct but it's fun to be a jerk about it anyway, it's a spin-off of the hardcore scene, which is kind-of-sort-of an offshoot of punk.  It was a more introspective creation because the District of Columbia's hardcore scene at the time was becoming too violent.  Or something.  There's probably a more exact definition, but it'll open up a Russian nesting doll of meaningless genre names.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 11:07:52 PM »

Well, my beach house out on Kiawah Island is in an area with 90% Republican voters. Our former neighbors were from New Jersey and big Democrats, but they didn't like Obama.

You're 20 and own a beach house?  You must have done it the honest way, by inheriting it, or be a drug dealer. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 11:11:59 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2008, 11:17:23 PM by Torie »

Using the mainstream definition, it's the whiny adolescent musical phenomenon that causes 15-year-olds to dress like this:

You've probably seen them if you've been to a mall anytime in the last five years.
i
Using BRTD's definition, which is technically correct but it's fun to be a jerk about it anyway, it's a spin-off of the hardcore scene, which is kind-of-sort-of an offshoot of punk.  It was a more introspective creation because the District of Columbia's hardcore scene at the time was becoming too violent.  Or something.  There's probably a more exact definition, but it'll open up a Russian nesting doll of meaningless genre names.

Thanks for educating the resident fossil.

My parents bought a Russian nesting doll in Russia back in the late 1950's, but I think the service help for my blind mother purloined it (along with most everything else in the nature of tangible personalty),  some years ago. I used to enjoy playing with it as a kid. I guess they are still around.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 11:42:19 PM »

To elaborate on Alcon's last paragraph:

In 1984, the hardcore punk scene in DC (and to some extent Maryland), began to have many bands taking a new turn, slowing down, being more melodic, and often changing the lyrics from fiercely political to rather more personal. These bands were often mocked by the rest of the scene and referred to as "emocore", a joking and at the time perjative term which was short of "emotional hardcore." By the late 80s, the sound had spread outside of the DC area and had developed a new identity, not sounding much like hardcore punk at all anymore. Bands began to shift in an even more melodic direction, taking elements of popular indie rock bands at the time such as Slint as well.

In the early 90s, a new variation on the sound took off as well, essentially to "emo", what "hardcore punk" was to "punk". The sound of the mid-phase emo bands was preserved, but made harder and faster. This style was mostly confined to San Diego and to a lesser extent the Bay Area however. The style largely fizzled out in the US around '93 or so whereabouts, but before that picked up big time in Canada (especially Quebec), where it lasted till approximately '95. There it died out pretty much everywhere.

Before this happened though in 93-94 many bands began to play a new style of indie rock heavily influenced by the emo of the early 90s of the non-hardcore variety, essentially "post-emo indie rock". This style was in a sort of ironic twist popular pretty much everywhere EXCEPT the coasts with the notable exception of Seattle. This is roughly about the time the term "emo" began to enter the mainstream.

A bit later around '97, a somewhat revival of late 80s/early 90s emo sound began, based mostly in New Jersey and NYC, South Dakota (yes, I'm 100% serious), northern Florida and Indianapolis (though this happened a bit later). This was a small revival and never hit the big time, and many of the bands became far more popular long AFTER their breakups, with records that now fetch big bucks on eBay. This somewhat amusingly was mostly a result of Napster and the internet introducing these bands to people who would've otherwise never heard them (including yours truly.) By the turn of the century the style was kicking again and big time, but by around 2003 it began a massive slowdown, mostly due to the derivativeness of the bands (rip off after rip off after rip off.) This is pretty much what later became labeled "screamo" by the way. It's still around in the US but probably at a level comparable to the latter half of the 90s rather than the turn of the decades. However about the time it slowed down in the US, it massively picked up in Europe, and is currently huge there (especially France and Italy.)

Meanwhile the aforementioned "post-emo indie rock" style never really made it out of the 20th century in its pure form, but many bands of the scene or spawned from the scene began to play a more mainstream and radio-friendly style of it around the turn of the century, and also began to achieve mainstream success. This is what made the term go mainstream, but since no one in the mainstream had heard of any of pioneering bands, they began to slap the label on whiny mainstream tripe like My Chemical Romance (who were really just the first band of the sound to hit it big), and thus spawned legions of stupid 15-year olds who started dressing just like My Chemical Romance. The result was basically the term being used by clueless mainstream folks to refer to a retarded fashion style, but as pointed out before this is an extreme bastardization as the term and style were in existence 20 years before said retarded fashion style came into existence, and will continue to exist after all people dressing in that retarded fashion style grow out of it/finally kill themselves.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 11:47:34 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2008, 11:50:01 PM by Torie »

Maybe someone can link me to a clip of this emo music so that I can listen to in on the internet, although given BRTD's at least facially most erudite disquisition, it seems to be a hydra headed beast indeed. Thanks.

And thanks to both Alcon and BRTD for taking the time in helping me with this one. I appreciate it!
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 12:22:09 AM »

Here's some early emo in this post: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=74191.msg1521699#msg1521699

This is the post-emo indie rock stuff.

This is the band that basically got all modern day kids into the late 90s stuff and basically sounds just like the early-mid 90s stuff: http://www.last.fm/music/Saetia

This is what the loud and thrashy style sounds like, for a modern example: http://www.myspace.com/amperepunx

And the old school: http://www.epitonic.com/artists/angelhair.html

Oh and here's a video of one of those modern bands playing that I was actually at! (I'm not in the video though. I was a bit too far to the left of the camera.) http://youtube.com/watch?v=SgL7Fh6ZjnI
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 12:39:09 AM »

You're 20 and own a beach house?  You must have done it the honest way, by inheriting it, or be a drug dealer. Tongue

No silly. I'm a Republican, not a drug dealer. It's my family house out at Kiawah which is best for summer time and golfing.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 12:55:48 AM »

No.  I like diverse opinions and for people to point to my county/state on the map and say "that was a swing area that decided this election."

People remember South Florida 2000, nobody remembered Downtown Chicago 2000.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 12:58:59 AM »

No.  I like diverse opinions and for people to point to my county/state on the map and say "that was a swing area that decided this election."

Then you're in the wrong state.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 01:01:43 AM »

Definitely!! I would ideally live in a neighborhood that usually gives Republican candidates single digits... Although the most likely candidate of where I'll settle in the future was 75-20 for Senate in 2006. Sad The second most likely candidate is 88-6 Dem, though. Smiley

If I had to live in a more suburban neighborhood (...and I had a lot of money to buy a house), I'd probably go with something like Fremont (88-7).

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that Republican areas are usually absolutely disgusting.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies