Obama people
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 05:15:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama people
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Obama people  (Read 5309 times)
King of the Bench
KingoftheBenchPress
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:05:08 AM »

When Hill wins 55% of whites all y ou say its racism

When Obama gets 92% of blacks isnt that even more racism?  Why cant you all admit that?
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 11:07:41 AM »

It's the most vicious double standard I've seen, and the media is too gutless to report on it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:10:10 AM »

I believe Verily posted a great answer yesterday in another thread.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »

Stop having the f'in nerve to compare blacks and whites in f'in America!

Christ. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 11:16:12 AM »

When Obama gets 92% of blacks isnt that even more racism?  Why cant you all admit that?

I think voting for a candidate is better (or at least less worse) than voting against a candidate. Black people aren't voting for Obama because Hillary is white, they vote for Obama because Obama is black. Hadn't Obama entered the race (no pun intended) most black people would probably support Hillary right now.

Of course, in an ideal world, everyone would vote for a certain candidate because they agree with him/her on the issues or think him/her would make a great president.

Btw, how do you call the support Mitt Romney was getting from Mormons (90% in Utah)? Religionism??
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »

Because they are so rabidly obsessed with Obama to the degree that they faint at rallies and block out anything that goes against their talking points...

*Votes for McCain*
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »

I think voting for a candidate is better (or at least less worse) than voting against a candidate. Black people aren't voting for Obama because Hillary is white, they vote for Obama because Obama is black. Hadn't Obama entered the race (no pun intended) most black people would probably support Hillary right now.

Of course, in an ideal world, everyone would vote for a certain candidate because they agree with him/her on the issues or think him/her would make a great president.

Btw, how do you call the support Mitt Romney was getting from Mormons (90% in Utah)? Religionism??

So white democrats can't vote for McCain because he's white?  Maybe some of them feel uncomfortable that Obama is getting as much as 94% of the black vote in an election where the candidates are admittedly very similar on the issues.  Maybe some of them don't feel that's fair to the other candidate and want to counteract that.  A lot of people assume that people don't just throw their vote away.  If their candidate wins they are going to expect payback.  Maybe some Democrats don't want specific voting groups to have too much undue influence because then the dynamics of the party and platform might start to change.  I don't think there's anything wrong with groups voting as a bloc, but it has to work BOTH ways.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »

Uh, how is that not racist? "I'm voting against Obama because blacks are voting for him!"
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »

Uh, how is that not racist? "I'm voting against Obama because blacks are voting for him!"

Of course it's not racism.  Not to mention, I don't even have any reason to believe that there are people doing that.  Did you ever think that maybe the same way blacks share an identity with Obama that makes him more familiar to them, that whites also share an identity with John McCain that makes him more familiar to them?

Also, it's funny how this has turned into a white/black issue.  Whites have been the most open-minded swing voters in this.  The fact is that Obama has lost every single other racial group EXCEPT for African Americans.  He lost Hispanics by a wide margin in state after state, and in the few states where Asians were big enough to poll, he lost them by a wide margin too.  So is everyone in the country racist because they didn't follow the black vote?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »

Of course it's not racism.  Not to mention, I don't even have any reason to believe that there are people doing that.  Did you ever think that maybe the same way blacks share an identity with Obama that makes him more familiar to them, that whites also share an identity with John McCain that makes him more familiar to them?

Also, it's funny how this has turned into a white/black issue.  Whites have been the most open-minded swing voters in this.  The fact is that Obama has lost every single other racial group EXCEPT for African Americans.  He lost Hispanics by a wide margin in state after state, and in the few states where Asians were big enough to poll, he lost them by a wide margin too.  So is everyone in the country racist because they didn't follow the black vote?

If only blacks had voted for him, he would not be in his current position. You cannot deny that African Americans make up an important part of the democratic base. Without them, democrats would not win any election nationally.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 12:18:20 PM »

If only blacks had voted for him, he would not be in his current position. You cannot deny that African Americans make up an important part of the democratic base. Without them, democrats would not win any election nationally.

I think in the past there is no question that Black Voters have been an important part of the Democratic Base.  But you have to also admit that states with the highest percentage of Black Voters are all in the Deep South and the most reliably Republican.  So it's not like there's not a backlash.  Perhaps Black Voters in the South lobby for certain issues such as removing the Confederate Flag, etc. (which I am inclined to agree with btw) that turns off White Voters.  If you appeal to one constituency then oftentimes it makes you less appealing to another constituency.  So it's a double-edged Sword.  I think it's hard to make a case that Obama's Voters are more important to the Democratic Base than Hillary's.  Black voters and liberal young white voters aren't usually considered Swing Voters.  Blue Collar White Voters and Hispanics are Swing Voters that tend to live in Swing States.  Without a large chunk of these voters coming on board it is really hard to see how Obama can win unless the Black turnout is so massive that he flips a bunch of Southern States like Virginia, North Carolina and Florida.  But I don't see that happening.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 12:28:23 PM »

If only white people voted, the electoral map in 2004 would have looked something like:

We're not arguing about a backlash among black voters.  We're arguing that decrying a candidate for only being the nominee because of black voters, is ridiculous.  Racial bloc voting is the bread and butter of the Democratic Party.  Period.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 12:33:22 PM »

So white democrats can't vote for McCain because he's white?  Maybe some of them feel uncomfortable that Obama is getting as much as 94% of the black vote in an election where the candidates are admittedly very similar on the issues.  Maybe some of them don't feel that's fair to the other candidate and want to counteract that.  A lot of people assume that people don't just throw their vote away.  If their candidate wins they are going to expect payback.  Maybe some Democrats don't want specific voting groups to have too much undue influence because then the dynamics of the party and platform might start to change.  I don't think there's anything wrong with groups voting as a bloc, but it has to work BOTH ways.

So, block voting is only fair if all categories vote as blocks? Is this just bitterness that women didn't vote 90-10 for Clinton, or what?
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 12:37:20 PM »

If only white people voted, the electoral map in 2004 would have looked something like:

We're not arguing about a backlash among black voters.  We're arguing that decrying a candidate for only being the nominee because of black voters, is ridiculous.  Racial bloc voting is the bread and butter of the Democratic Party.  Period.

This kind of bloc voting irks me even when they are voting for my candidate.  I don't want the party too tied to special interests, whether it's Older People, Young People, Black People, etc. 

The difference here though, that I'd argue is that Obama and Clinton have largely similar positions on issues that effect the black population.  In fact, I would argue that Hillary's health care plan is better for African American's than Obama's because as a group, on average they tend to be lower income and generally have more health concerns.  So the fact that they are voting for Obama by over 90% margins is shocking to me.  Then, I find it ridiculous when white people are called racist for not voting for Obama.  I mean, White people are voting in no-where near those numbers.  I get all the arguments that being white and black are different because one group is a minority that has had discrimination in the past, etc.  But it's just absurd when the margins are what they are.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 12:39:22 PM »

Were the Mormons who were voting for Romney in margins as large as Obama's among blacks bigoted against Protestants for not voting for McCain and Huckabee?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 12:43:17 PM »

Were the Mormons who were voting for Romney in margins as large as Obama's among blacks bigoted against Protestants for not voting for McCain and Huckabee?

I'd say so, yes.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 12:43:52 PM »

Not sure if they were bigoted.  Again, that's not the point.  We're not saying Obama people are bigoted.  It's the Obama supporters that are throwing the race card out there in the first place.  Like I said, voting bloc's voting for a candidate in HUGE numbers irks me, even when it benefits my candidate.  Because when that happens, I expect some kind of political payback.  The average voter gets lost to special interest groups.  I mean, your post is a perfect example of a very segregated community that is not giving anyone but their own guy a chance.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »

To answer the question, yes. Why the media does not cover this is further proof of how gutless they are when it comes to Obama. Blacks can be just as much racist as whites. They aren't voting for obama because of his policies.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »

To answer the question, yes. Why the media does not cover this is further proof of how gutless they are when it comes to Obama. Blacks can be just as much racist as whites. They aren't voting for obama because of his policies.

Well to be fair, some of the networks have picked up on this.  Of course, not MSNBC though.  Or at least I doubt they will be intellectually honest enough to.  I wouldn't know though, I've completely stopped watching them since I realized in February that it was just a propaganda network for Obama.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »

Cool.  I thought my post with the map didn't go through because my browser crashed Smiley

This kind of bloc voting irks me even when they are voting for my candidate.  I don't want the party too tied to special interests, whether it's Older People, Young People, Black People, etc. 

The difference here though, that I'd argue is that Obama and Clinton have largely similar positions on issues that effect the black population.  In fact, I would argue that Hillary's health care plan is better for African American's than Obama's because as a group, on average they tend to be lower income and generally have more health concerns.  So the fact that they are voting for Obama by over 90% margins is shocking to me.  Then, I find it ridiculous when white people are called racist for not voting for Obama.  I mean, White people are voting in no-where near those numbers.  I get all the arguments that being white and black are different because one group is a minority that has had discrimination in the past, etc.  But it's just absurd when the margins are what they are.

You are giving the exact same arguments that Republicans give when complaining about blacks voting en masse for Democrats.  It's "shocking to them" too that blacks ignore traditional values.  It's "shocking to them" that blacks are voting for the "party of slavery."  It's "shocking to them" because they too feel that their health care plans, economic plans, etc., are good for everything, much as how you just slipped "Clinton's plans are better for blacks" as if that were an undisputed fact.

The only difference that I see is that you probably voted for John Kerry, and not Barack Obama.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 02:06:12 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2008, 03:10:49 PM by Old Europe »

So white democrats can't vote for McCain because he's white?

I doubt there are white voters who would vote for McCain because he's white (= voting for something/-one). They would either vote McCain because he's not black (= voting against something/-one) or they would vote McCain for reasons totally unrelated with race issues (political experience for instance).

The problem here is that those who vote McCain because he's not black wouldn't always disclose their real reasons, so it's difficult to distinguish those two groups. However, I would agree that is a foregone conclusion to generally assume that white democrats who vote for McCain are doing this because he's not black.

Another thing is that White people (or White protestants for that matter) constitute a majority among the population and as such they are too large/diverse a group in order to develop any specific block voting behavior based solely on their own race/religion/whatever. Most political candidates are Whites anyway, so how could they vote based on their race only? This only works with minorities, be it African-Americans, Mormons, Hispanics or Jews. There is only block voting occuring among non-WASP's for a perfectly logical reason.

Maybe some of them feel uncomfortable that Obama is getting as much as 94% of the black vote in an election where the candidates are admittedly very similar on the issues.  Maybe some of them don't feel that's fair to the other candidate and want to counteract that.  A lot of people assume that people don't just throw their vote away.  If their candidate wins they are going to expect payback.  Maybe some Democrats don't want specific voting groups to have too much undue influence because then the dynamics of the party and platform might start to change.

If there are really people who think and vote that way, I'd say that they should have gotten used to it a long time ago, because that's how it works and has always worked. Maybe it will be different in 50 or 100 years, but not now.

I don't think there's anything wrong with groups voting as a bloc, but it has to work BOTH ways.

Well, as I said, it works "both" ways. It actually works in more than both ways... it works with every minority group existing. Just not with majority groups, for the reasons I always mentioned as well.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »

I think it's a (sad) testament to how powerful race is as a factor in defining the lives and experiences of black Americans.

That said, blacks have voted for whites for federal office far more often than vice-versa; and they overwhelmingly rejected Lynn Swann and Ken Blackwell. It is only when the policy differences become minute that these personal traits surge into importance. It is far more racist to switch parties and vote for a candidate who you disagree with on the issues due to race, and in 2006 African-Americans largely did not do that, despite GOP attempts (or pretend attempts) to get them to do so.
SomeLawStudent
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 02:14:29 PM »

Cool.  I thought my post with the map didn't go through because my browser crashed Smiley

You are giving the exact same arguments that Republicans give when complaining about blacks voting en masse for Democrats.  It's "shocking to them" too that blacks ignore traditional values.  It's "shocking to them" that blacks are voting for the "party of slavery."  It's "shocking to them" because they too feel that their health care plans, economic plans, etc., are good for everything, much as how you just slipped "Clinton's plans are better for blacks" as if that were an undisputed fact.

The only difference that I see is that you probably voted for John Kerry, and not Barack Obama.

I can see why Republicans don't want to deal with ultra-liberals.  Good luck in November.
zombones

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 02:15:23 PM »

Bill Clinton:  "Jesse Jackson won South Carolina in '84 and '88. Jackson ran a good campaign.  And Obama ran a good campaign here"

Bill Clinton:  "Jesse Jackson won South Carolina in '84 and '88. Jackson ran a good campaign.  And Obama ran a good campaign here"

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »

I can see why Republicans don't want to deal with ultra-liberals.  Good luck in November.

Alcon is supporting McCain. Just saying.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies