UK 2008 Electoral Impact
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:14:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK 2008 Electoral Impact
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UK 2008 Electoral Impact  (Read 1414 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2008, 03:05:46 AM »

First thing I'd do is sack the Chancellor.
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 07:27:11 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2008, 07:34:17 AM by afleitch »

First thing I'd do is sack his predecessor!

In all seriousness, Darling can't go. Brown says we will be steered through the economic crisis; it looks bad if you change the helmsman.

But before they do anything like that Labour need to realise one thing. This isn't about turnout, or voters staying home, or 'usual mid-term blips', or 'exceptional economic circumstances'. It's this - voters don't like you. In fact some of them really hate you. If Labour can accept that they can change things, but not before then.

EDIT: We didn't - which is why we ended up in such a mess.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 07:29:44 AM »

Any particular reason?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:35:26 AM »

Because he's incompetent.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 07:51:03 AM »

An immediate reshuffle would be stupid (which is why I think it'll happen). The correct thing to do would be to calm down and take a good look at the actual results (not the bbc poll of wards rubbish). And then don't try to work out why results in most areas were poor (because that's obvious) but try to work out why results in some areas were especially bad and why results in some areas were better. Better to learn from your mistakes and plan for the future than go into the usual frenzy of panic, denial, exaggeration and scape-goating (all four tend to (and are) happen at once, oddly enough). If the latter happens, the only people who benefit are the media (because you're then playing into to the angle on the elections that they came up with before a single vote was counted) and, of course, the Tories.

But before they do anything like that Labour need to realise one thing. This isn't about turnout, or voters staying home, or 'usual mid-term blips', or 'exceptional economic circumstances'. It's this - voters don't like you.

Voters generally don't like long-serving governments. The thing that a lot of people don't seem to have quite grasped is quite how "normal" all of this is. One reason for that is because it's not actually much of a reassurance to anyone as it's also normal for long-serving governments to lose re-election and for the new government to start doing badly in local elections as soon as it takes power. No one wants to admit that (of course this has all been the case ever since local elections started to attract national media attention).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hmm... not many. Certainly not enough to be worth factoring into any future considerations. If this were otherwise than maybe the overwhelming majority of the electorate wouldn't have stayed at home. Of course mere unpopularity is bad enough.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 07:53:55 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2008, 07:59:03 AM by Labour Man With Some Unhappiness »

Hmm... not many. Certainly not enough to be worth factoring into any future considerations. If this were otherwise than maybe the overwhelming majority of the electorate wouldn't have stayed at home. Of course mere unpopularity is bad enough.

Quite. Most of the people who hate Labour would never have voted for them anyway- 1997 or whenever.

Didn't we do badly in 1998?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 07:54:47 AM »

That's a novel reason to start firing cabinet ministers for!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 07:59:21 AM »

I don't know about that. He comes across badly on telly and so on, but he's not really f***ed up badly or anything.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 08:02:06 AM »

I stand corrected. Darling has had a lot of things go wrong under his time at the Treasury, mostly not his fault.

That said, I suspect his days are numbered at Number 11.

jeron
Netherlands
Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -7.48

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 12:36:19 AM »

Yes, but by whom should he be replaced? Is there really any alternative for Brown at the moment? Milburn? Miliband?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 06:46:04 AM »

Yes, but by whom should he be replaced? Is there really any alternative for Brown at the moment? Milburn? Miliband?
Yvette Cooper?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 05:54:40 AM »

Rather than her husband? What they really need to do with Darling is get his eyebrows waxed, I think those things can account for at least a 3 point loss in vote share.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies