London Mayoral and GLA Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 02:43:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  London Mayoral and GLA Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: London Mayoral and GLA Results Thread  (Read 22800 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2008, 06:16:55 PM »

Oh, anything on % vote shares for the party-list seats yet?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: May 02, 2008, 06:24:52 PM »

Oh, anything on % vote shares for the party-list seats yet?

Not yet.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2008, 06:52:32 PM »

Anyway.

I've got mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I don't like the fact that Johnson (who I think is frankly dangerous*) has won, I don't like the fact that he'll be running a large city for four years or so, I don't like the result for several other reasons... and I think I'll be avoiding reading any media coverage of the election in case I go mad and actually kill someone.

But... all the same I've never liked Livingstone (despite his decent record as Mayor), mostly for the stuff he got up to in the '80's (the way he became leader of the GLC was bad enough, but the (eventually successful) campaign to oust Reg Freeson and take his seat in the Commons will in some ways damn him forever in my strange little book), but some recent stuff was... less than palatable as well. I'd have voted for him if I were a Londoner, of course, but I can't bring myself to feel sad for him.

*I hope to be proved wrong about that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #103 on: May 02, 2008, 07:17:17 PM »

BNP have got in apparently
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #104 on: May 02, 2008, 07:39:01 PM »

Sad

Disgusting.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #105 on: May 02, 2008, 07:41:12 PM »

Is there any possibility of having a discussion on the BNP getting a seat without the Nazi KKK talk being first and foremost, has anyone ever thought the fact they're getting a seat means there are people in London who all aren't necessarily Nazi KKK about things, but have strong feelings about certain issues some of which may be valid, and their numbers are growing. That being said, they're probably heavily Nazi KKK types.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: May 02, 2008, 08:38:32 PM »

So Gary Busey is now Mayor?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2008, 08:50:58 PM »

Top-up results here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Assembly_election%2C_2008#Top-up_.28Additional_Member_System.29_results

UKIP seems to be behind the Christian thingee in everything lolz. One London got 0.14%.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2008, 10:16:11 PM »

I'm slightly surprised it was that close.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2008, 03:45:13 AM »

Johnson at 53.2 - about 1 to1.5 more than I thought he would get, last night. Due to second pref.s breaking only narrowly for Livingstone.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2008, 03:50:10 AM »

New (old) assembly

Con 8 + 3 (9 + 0)
Lab 6 + 2 (5 + 2)
LD 0 + 3 (0 + 5)
Green 0 + 2 (0 + 2)
BNP 0 + 1 (0 + 0)
...UKIP 0 + 0 (0 + 2) - outpolled by Christian Choice, Abolish the Congestion Charge, and Respect Cats.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2008, 03:52:15 AM »

Following places need removing from London: Havering & Redbridge, Bexley & Bromley, Croydon & Sutton and Ealing & Hillingdon. Not only did they vote heavily for Boris, they also gave the BNP more votes than the Green candidate. It's not like half of them are really in London anyway...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #112 on: May 03, 2008, 03:54:09 AM »

I think it would suffice to remove Bexley & Bromley and either Havering & Redbridge or Croydon & Sutton to have Livingstone pip Johnson. Grin
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2008, 04:17:55 AM »

I know, but I am also deeply concerned about the people voting for the BNP. Almost Boris' entire majority came from Bexley & Bromley, that is ridiculous.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2008, 04:18:47 AM »

Following places need removing from London: Havering & Redbridge, Bexley & Bromley, Croydon & Sutton and Ealing & Hillingdon. Not only did they vote heavily for Boris, they also gave the BNP more votes than the Green candidate. It's not like half of them are really in London anyway...

It's that sort of of elitist attitude towards the voters and taxpayers of Outer London that cost Ken his job.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2008, 04:51:48 AM »

It's that sort of of elitist attitude towards the voters and taxpayers of Outer London that cost Ken his job.

Exactly... I'm not sure that Hanger Lane (where i spent most of Thursday afternoon) would be the toughest of areas for Bozza ( Wink ) but the enthusiasm for him and the Conservatives and the antipathy towards Livingston and Labour was somthing i hadnt seen before, this was also reflected in more marginal areas like Southfeilds (Ealing) and bits of Acton where i was earlier in the day and in places like Enfield and Finchley (where folks i knew were working)... the striking thing was that Labour almost totally abandoned outer London to focus on its base, not a sign of activity from them even on polling day.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2008, 04:54:33 AM »

I was reading an article from The Guardian and it said that one shadow minister said that Johnson's victory as Mayor of London was like "the march on Rome in 1922". Who said that, as I am quite curious to find out whom.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2008, 05:51:49 AM »

Is there any possibility of having a discussion on the BNP getting a seat without the Nazi KKK talk being first and foremost, has anyone ever thought the fact they're getting a seat means there are people in London who all aren't necessarily Nazi KKK about things, but have strong feelings about certain issues some of which may be valid, and their numbers are growing. That being said, they're probably heavily Nazi KKK types.

it's impossible. Left & co have a curious conception of democracy and tolerance: tolerance and respect for islamic, blacks, gays, criminals,... but zero tolerance for victims, white blue collars,...
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2008, 06:10:08 AM »

This chappie won't be happy.

Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2008, 07:34:47 PM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

(moved to next page)
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2008, 07:34:18 PM »

I was reading an article from The Guardian and it said that one shadow minister said that Johnson's victory as Mayor of London was like "the march on Rome in 1922". Who said that, as I am quite curious to find out whom.

I'd definitely believe it of someone like Ann Winterton, who used to be a shadow minister.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2008, 07:35:03 PM »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »

I'd definitely believe it of someone like Ann Winterton, who used to be a shadow minister.

Ann Winterton makes Mussolini look like a pinko
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #123 on: May 04, 2008, 04:33:01 AM »

I frankly don't think dismissing the poshest parts (apart from South Kensington) of London can be called "elitist" without a noticeable expenditure of lifetime credibility.
Of course I realize you're just stealing a page out of the Rethuglican book there.

It's not right to do what JFK is doing, of course... but "elitist" is not an applicable term.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #124 on: May 04, 2008, 05:46:48 AM »

I frankly don't think dismissing the poshest parts (apart from South Kensington) of London can be called "elitist" without a noticeable expenditure of lifetime credibility.
Of course I realize you're just stealing a page out of the Rethuglican book there.

It's not right to do what JFK is doing, of course... but "elitist" is not an applicable term.

No of course it's not right and I recognise that, I am just annoyed that I am stuck with a bumbling opportunist as mayor (not to mention the high totals the BNP/National Front received in the boroughs I listed). The problem is not that he's a Conservative, it is that he is someone with little experience or knowledge of London who seems to draw policies out of a hat (though I'll be interested to see what these 'boundaries' he wants to introduce for kids to stop them getting 'lost' are). That's the big contrast for me: Ken Livingstone has lived his whole life in London, he knows it better and has a much closer affinity for the city than Boris Johnson does or ever will.

Anyway, afleitch, I think disabled people and first time property buyers have more to be sad about than Yusuf al-Qaradawi.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies