Oregon exit polling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:43:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oregon exit polling
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oregon exit polling  (Read 2479 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2008, 10:32:29 PM »

How do they do exit polling in an all Vote-by-mail state?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »

I've wondered that for ages but never asked

Wasn't Oregon VBM in 2004?  They still managed one.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 12:00:33 AM »

It´s actually conducted like a normal phone poll of registered voters:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://duckhenge.uoregon.edu/io/article.php?id=58
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 01:09:26 AM »

that's what they probably will have to do with all but 2 or 3 counties in Washington as well (Pierce and King haven't completely switched to all-mail yet, though they are in the process)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 09:15:26 AM »

that's what they probably will have to do with all but 2 or 3 counties in Washington as well (Pierce and King haven't completely switched to all-mail yet, though they are in the process)

That should be fun too.  I imagine they'll be forced to do it by phone at this point here, since it's just King and Pierce, and that's only something like a third of the state population.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 08:51:31 PM »

That should be fun too.  I imagine they'll be forced to do it by phone at this point here, since it's just King and Pierce, and that's only something like a third of the state population.

also I think that around 75% or so of King and Pierce chooses to vote by mail, so really only a small percent of the state isn't vote by mail.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 09:02:16 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2008, 09:06:42 PM by Alcon »

also I think that around 75% or so of King and Pierce chooses to vote by mail, so really only a small percent of the state isn't vote by mail.

Yep, way more than that, actually.  In the primary in Pierce County, poll voters were only 6% of the votes cast, down from 8% in the 2006 General and 20% in the 2004 Presidential.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:19:24 PM »

I hate the idea of voting by mail. Wouldn't do it if I lived in King or Pierce for sure.

I'm against all vote by mail elections in general just because of vote buying. It becomes ridiculously easy.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »

I hate the idea of voting by mail. Wouldn't do it if I lived in King or Pierce for sure.

I'm against all vote by mail elections in general just because of vote buying. It becomes ridiculously easy.

It's funny.  The most outspoken opponent of mail voting in the state is the local right-wing blogosphere.  If I were you, you know what I'd be saying right now... Tongue
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:11:49 AM »

None of the complaints about Vote-by-mail ever actually come true when Vote-by-mail is actually tried. I've never understood why people are so opposed - it's cheaper, quicker, easier, more secure, more convenient, leaves a paper trail, etc.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 11:36:26 AM »

The potential for vote buying is huge since you now have time to make a copy of the ballot as proof. It's tricky with an actual voting booth (though cell phone cameras are an issue, but those are being banned in voting booths now.) Anyone though can fill out a ballot, scan it, and then has a record of their vote that can be easily cashed in.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 12:36:13 PM »

The potential for vote buying is huge since you now have time to make a copy of the ballot as proof. It's tricky with an actual voting booth (though cell phone cameras are an issue, but those are being banned in voting booths now.) Anyone though can fill out a ballot, scan it, and then has a record of their vote that can be easily cashed in.

Well, yes, but you can get absentee ballots in quite a few states without giving a good reason. If you really want to sell your vote, you can do it that way.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 06:02:23 PM »

I haven't heard of anything like that, and we've had vote-by-mail for a few years now....

The biggest problem is people filling out ballots in front of relatives / partners. If anything this is more disturbing since the secret ballot is not what it used to be.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies