Federal Government spends most on Louisiana, Mississippi, Alaska
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:33:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Federal Government spends most on Louisiana, Mississippi, Alaska
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Federal Government spends most on Louisiana, Mississippi, Alaska  (Read 2365 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »

http://www.startribune.com/nation/18047084.html

The federal government spend nearly 3 times as much on those three states per capita than they spent on the three states receiving the least:  Nevada, Utah, and Minnesota.

I wouldn't care about this (and I really think it is probably better, as MS and LA need the investment), except for the fact that they support politicians that go on and on about tax cuts and fiscal responsibility but they're squealing piggy all the way home with a wad of cash...

If you're going to have that attitude, then you deserve the response:  Put up or shut up.  We could use the money too!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »

Pork=bad. I am so not surprised (except for Utah).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 06:25:21 PM »

Funny. I would have thought that the idea that government $$$ should go to places that vote the right way or elect the right sort of politician is where the problem started (a long, long, long time ago)...
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:28:27 PM »

The article title incorrectly states "Mississippi" instead of "Minnesota", right? Or am I just delusional?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:57:50 PM »

This is why is baffles me why any Mississippian can support Ron Paul, especially one that went to a high-quality public high school supported mostly by federal dollars.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 09:53:30 PM »

This is why is baffles me why any Mississippian can support Ron Paul, especially one that went to a high-quality public high school supported mostly by federal dollars.
Did you just use Mississippi, high quality and public high school in the same sentence?  You must have gone to a Mississippi public school.

(or I've been whooshed by a very high quality joke!)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 10:22:06 PM »

Did you just use Mississippi, high quality and public high school in the same sentence?  You must have gone to a Mississippi public school.

(or I've been whooshed by a very high quality joke!)
I went to Madison Central, an extreme outlier on the quality scale as far as Mississippi goes.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 04:41:15 AM »

Lousisiana/Mississippi: I'm all for getting rid of the Katrina welfare program.  How long is that going to be in the budget?

Alaska: I wish their congressional delegation would rot in jail.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 10:13:27 AM »

Lousisiana/Mississippi: I'm all for getting rid of the Katrina welfare program.  How long is that going to be in the budget?
UNTIL PEOPLE STOP LIVING IN TRAILERS, DICK!
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 10:39:34 AM »

Until the day we remove any government aid or assistance for residents of the California permanent fire/flood/quake/mudslide/gang war disaster zone.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 11:16:56 AM »

Defensive much?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 12:43:49 PM »

But that will be never!

People still live in trailers from the Dustbowl.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 12:45:32 PM »

Until the day we remove any government aid or assistance for residents of the California permanent fire/flood/quake/mudslide/gang war disaster zone.

I like that answer
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 03:33:21 PM »

Defensive much?
yes.  I am still appalled how the media glossed over the fact that the Mississippi gulf coast was hit HARDER and WORSE than New Orleans, yet the media spun the story as a New Orleans-only problem.
Damn anti-Mississippi bigotry is ubiquitous.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 08:53:02 PM »

Defensive much?
yes.  I am still appalled how the media glossed over the fact that the Mississippi gulf coast was hit HARDER and WORSE than New Orleans, yet the media spun the story as a New Orleans-only problem.

No, it's just that New Orleans was far and away the largest city affected. You should be able to see through this, Harry.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 09:48:29 PM »

Right, Mississippi is the only state that gets made fun of.  Nobody ever cracks a Texas joke or a South Dakota joke.
Conan
conan

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 10:17:28 PM »

Defensive much?
One can also argue that it's not the federal governments responsibility. Maybe you're states governments should pay for it, seeing how you have such low taxes. If this happened in NJ, the federal government wouldn't provide for us.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »

Defensive much?
One can also argue that it's not the federal governments responsibility. Maybe you're states governments should pay for it, seeing how you have such low taxes. If this happened in NJ, the federal government wouldn't provide for us.

BS. If NJ (or any other state) were hit with a catastrophic natural disaster of Katrina's scale you'd see the same response. Mississippi got less media coverage b/c there are fewer people there and because there was no bowl to flood.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 11:06:30 PM »

Right, Mississippi is the only state that gets made fun of.  Nobody ever cracks a Texas joke or a South Dakota joke.
I've never in my life heard a South Dakota joke, and the occasional Texas joke is not nearly as common as the Mississippi joke.

No, it's just that New Orleans was far and away the largest city affected. You should be able to see through this, Harry.
Sure, but Mississippi never gets any coverage.  Never mind that towns on the coast were GONE after the storm...completely and utterly destroyed.  People are still living in trailers on the coast.  Compared to the Mississippi Gulf Coast, New Orleans had it easy by just getting flooded.  And the national media NEVER even talks about that.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »

I've never in my life heard a South Dakota joke, and the occasional Texas joke is not nearly as common as the Mississippi joke.
Selective hearing.  I'll give you that generally the South takes more heat than the upper midwest does, but state to state, Mississippi isn't made fun of more than any other.  You really think Mississippi takes more crap than Alabama or Massachusetts(Taxachusetts)?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 07:22:07 AM »

Selective hearing.  I'll give you that generally the South takes more heat than the upper midwest does, but state to state, Mississippi isn't made fun of more than any other.  You really think Mississippi takes more crap than Alabama or Massachusetts(Taxachusetts)?
Definitely.  The only making-fun-of of Massachusetts I ever hear is gaybashing, which I don't really count because there's gays everywhere.  Plus, everyone became a Red Sox fan in 2004 and that cut down on Massachusettsbashing.
But yes, Mississippi definitely gets it worse than Alabama and Texas.  Alabamans themselves often use a motto like "At least we're not Mississippi"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »

Yep, selective hearing.  You honestly think that of the 50 states, Mississppi is the one that gets made fun of the most?  Trust me man, you guys aren't that important.

Speaking of which, do you know why birds fly upside down across Mississippi?

Nothing worth sh**tting on.

(I originally heard this joke about Alabama from a guy from Alabama)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 07:49:11 AM »

LA and MS deserve the spending, but AK doesn't.  We need to distribute more evenly, sending the money where it is needed.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 11:39:13 PM »

As usual, the onion hits the nail on the head.
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/30916
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2008, 08:31:48 AM »

Sure, but Mississippi never gets any coverage.  Never mind that towns on the coast were GONE after the storm...completely and utterly destroyed.  People are still living in trailers on the coast.  Compared to the Mississippi Gulf Coast, New Orleans had it easy by just getting flooded.
Lol. There's deluded, there's inane, and then there's this statement. (Doesn't of course change the fact that Mississippi got it very bad too, and that the main impact of the hurricane itself was worse there than in Louisiana.)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies