19% of Americans want increased gas tax
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:48:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  19% of Americans want increased gas tax
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: 19% of Americans want increased gas tax  (Read 4605 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:01:14 PM »

Should the Federal Tax on gasoline be suspended until prices come under control?
Yes  60%
No  24%

Survey of 1,000 AdultsJanuary 16-17, 2008
A proposal has been made to increase the Federal Gas Tax from the current 18 cents/gallon to 40 cents/gallon over the next 5 years. Would you favor or oppose such a proposal?
Favor  19%
Oppose  65%

This telephone survey of 500 adults each night was conducted by Rasmussen Reports March 11-12 and January 16-17, 2008. The margin of sampling error for the survey is +/- 3 percentage points for each survey with a 95% level of confidence.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »

Nothing will get us into smaller, more efficient cars faster than a high gas price.  If we as a nation think that's our goal, an increase in the Federal gas tax would be a viable option to consider to that end.

(I personally don't like any taxes, but this one wouldn't be the end of the world.  I wouldn't support it, but I wouldn't fight against it that hard either.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 11:15:32 PM »

I don't like gas taxes, for the same reason I don't like sales taxes.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 12:48:11 AM »

This must be the 19% that commutes via bicycle.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 01:20:56 AM »

If 19% of Americans commuted via bicycle we wouldn't have an energy crisis.
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 03:05:48 AM »

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. In all seriousness, I just find that a lot of the people who want gas taxes to be insanely high don't even drive and have no idea what it's like to live somewhere rural and have to commute. I drive about 70 miles a day, I would love to do it in a more energy efficient car, sure, but I'm not going to buy a new hybrid car (mine's on its last leg) if I'm unsure of its value in 5-8 years. It's the Edsil factor I'm worried about.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008, 07:18:44 AM »

My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. In all seriousness, I just find that a lot of the people who want gas taxes to be insanely high don't even drive and have no idea what it's like to live somewhere rural and have to commute. I drive about 70 miles a day, I would love to do it in a more energy efficient car, sure, but I'm not going to buy a new hybrid car (mine's on its last leg) if I'm unsure of its value in 5-8 years. It's the Edsil factor I'm worried about.

You do realize the Prius has been out in Japan for over ten years, right?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:32:21 AM »

Aye, hybrid technology is a quickly maturing technology.  I still have concerns about battery disposal, life and cost.  Hopefully a new "battery" is on the horizon, it would go a long way towards curing our transportation energy problems.  We have plenty of electricity and it's relatively easy to make more (if you can get the hippies out of the way) cheaply (again, relatively) and cleanly.  We have great electric motors that can easily pull a car at greater rates than we see today (or ever) as the electric motor is a very mature technology.  It's storing that electricity that is the problem, hop that hurdle and gas stations will become rare in a decade or so.  Hopefully they'll never outlaw the ICE powered personal transportation though.  It will probably become what the horse is today, a toy of the rich and a tool for the ultra poor.

How's that for a hijack? Smiley
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008, 08:23:27 AM »

Probably leftist environmentalists who don't think about the poor people who can't afford a new, more fuel efficient car, and needs to drive to work to put food on their plate.

Nothing will get us into smaller, more efficient cars faster than a high gas price.  If we as a nation think that's our goal, an increase in the Federal gas tax would be a viable option to consider to that end.

Are you going to buy me that new car?  Smiley

Seriously though --- to me --- a higher fuel price won't hurt my wallet.  I carpool into work each week, driving my own car into the office only two of those days, so I can go a whole week on one tank of gas.  But for those that have to drive long distances every day, it will be rough.  Plus, the same tax would most likely fall onto commercial vehicles as well, meaning you will end up paying more for your goods as a result.  Not really the best way to go.

If you really want to spur the desire for more efficient vehicles, you need to turn out the technology faster and in a larger volume in order to decrease the overall costs.  If you flooded the market with inexpensive hybrids that provided the same load capacity from small hatch-backs to large commercial vans, then you could see a flood of people buying new vehicles since the prices would be low.  However, you are now left with relatively good vehicles with traditional ICEs.  What do you do with them?  Well, you need to have a way to easily and cheaply convert them into more fuel efficient vehicles.  This is where the short-term money is actually found.  There are developers out there working on "kits" that you can attach to your current engine to increase your MPG.  One of the most unique kits requires just water, which can add 2 more MPG to your car.  Not too bad.  Some others add a standard battery pack in your trunk, though that adds additional weight and decreased cargo space.  Anyway, you get the point.  The 19% might be idealists (or ignorant), and fail to see the bigger picture.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008, 08:37:03 AM »

If you really want to spur the desire for more efficient vehicles, you need to turn out the technology faster and in a larger volume in order to decrease the overall costs. 
If they could do that, why aren't they?  The fact of that matter is that, last I read in Car and Driver, they were still losing thousands of dollars everytime they sell a hybrid.  It's been true of small cars in general for years.  It costs roughly the same to build your regular F150 as it does to build your average Focus, but the Focus sells for half what the F150 does.  The money makers are your "fancy" trucks like Escalades and what not.  Hybrids add a whole 'nother expensive layer of manufacturing and R&D.  The price will come down and the technology will improve in time, but flooding the market today with something you lose thousands of dollars on every sale would be a bad thing to do.

..and I won't have to buy you a car.  If you use a car, eventually you'll have to replace it.  As people replace cars with more efficient ones, over time it will make a difference.  I think it already is in places like California.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008, 09:17:57 AM »

If you really want to spur the desire for more efficient vehicles, you need to turn out the technology faster and in a larger volume in order to decrease the overall costs. 
If they could do that, why aren't they?  The fact of that matter is that, last I read in Car and Driver, they were still losing thousands of dollars everytime they sell a hybrid.  It's been true of small cars in general for years.  It costs roughly the same to build your regular F150 as it does to build your average Focus, but the Focus sells for half what the F150 does.  The money makers are your "fancy" trucks like Escalades and what not.  Hybrids add a whole 'nother expensive layer of manufacturing and R&D.  The price will come down and the technology will improve in time, but flooding the market today with something you lose thousands of dollars on every sale would be a bad thing to do.

..and I won't have to buy you a car.  If you use a car, eventually you'll have to replace it.  As people replace cars with more efficient ones, over time it will make a difference.  I think it already is in places like California.

Part of that is due to the fact that US auto makers are in the tank to the Unions and are behind the time in modernizing their production facilities as a result.  So those additional expenses are passed down to the consumer.  That is why the Japanese automakers are overtaking the US market, and can even build the plants here and produce at lower costs (no unions).  Ford, for example, needs to come out one day and say that the will be doing away with union labor starting 1/1/2009, and take the heat for their decision.  However, once they have, and the protests stop, they will be in a much better position to lower their costs and become competitive again.  As far as the technology goes, the US manufacturers are still just toying with the systems.  They have no real incentive to innovate on a proven platform, and changing the taxes on gas won't impact that.  People will still buy their product.  It will take either new leadership of the company to cause the evolution, or the market itself will lead the shift.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »

I couldn't agree more - gas and sales taxes should be eliminated and replaced by much higher income tax rates on the rich.

I for one would not stop driving my large v-8 car just because of, say $4/gallon gas.  Then again I get it for free so it doesn't matter. Smiley
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008, 05:18:01 PM »

I couldn't agree more - gas and sales taxes should be eliminated and replaced by much higher income tax rates on the rich.

I for one would not stop driving my large v-8 car just because of, say $4/gallon gas.  Then again I get it for free so it doesn't matter. Smiley

All user fees should be eliminated in exchange for a progressive income tax system.  That way, the middle and lower classes pay less in taxes as a percentage of their income.

Then we can use the money that rich people pay in that would have come from an increased gas tax to build a high speed rail system which would do wonders for this country.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 09:32:57 PM »

All user fees should be eliminated in exchange for a progressive income tax system.  That way, the middle and lower classes pay less in taxes as a percentage of their income.

Then we can use the money that rich people pay in that would have come from an increased gas tax to build a high speed rail system which would do wonders for this country.
Selfish assholes like opebo would still drive the smog machines.  May I suggest using the state to make him stop?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 01:09:42 PM »

Tax or no tax, gas prices aren't coming down anytime soon.  I favor a higher gas tax, at least in this State, provided the money gets spent on improved roads.  However, since people have no faith that a gas tax will actually be used as a user fee for road maintenance and construction, it is not surprising that there is little support for the tax.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 06:24:09 PM »

Suspending the gas tax is a great idea!  Why, the best way to deal with our gigantic demand for oil is to increase demand for it! Smiley
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 09:35:05 PM »

Suspending the gas tax is a great idea!  Why, the best way to deal with our gigantic demand for oil is to increase demand for it! Smiley

That wouldn't increase demand.  It'd lower cost.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 09:37:01 PM »

Same thing. Believe or not, people decrease consumption when prices go up--and would revert to higher consumption if prices went down.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 09:37:16 PM »

If hybrid cars were truly more efficient, than Americans would gradually transition to them without help from a gas tax hike
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 10:02:58 PM »

errrrr what?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »

If hybrid cars were truly more efficient, than Americans would gradually transition to them without help from a gas tax hike
Like they did in the 80s and 90s?  (not to hybrids of course,  but to other efficient vehicles that sold like matches in hell)  I'm not suggesting a gas tax is the only way or the best way to do it, but low priced gas has shown to NOT be a motivator to Americans to switch to more efficient vehicles.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 10:09:25 PM »

Same thing. Believe or not, people decrease consumption when prices go up--and would revert to higher consumption if prices went down.

It RESULTS in the same thing, but it's not the same thing.  Ask any economist or businessman.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 10:55:30 PM »

Because we all know that none of the petroleum companies will ever dare raise their gross prices to make up from this tax cut...and then raise the net price again when the tax cut expires...perhaps price controls will be in order. Roll Eyes
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 10:35:33 AM »

It RESULTS in the same thing, but it's not the same thing.  Ask any economist or businessman.

Quite a meaningless distinction (and not even necessarily a correct one) for the purposes of this discussion, Inks.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 06:05:10 PM »

Like they did in the 80s and 90s?  (not to hybrids of course,  but to other efficient vehicles that sold like matches in hell)  I'm not suggesting a gas tax is the only way or the best way to do it, but low priced gas has shown to NOT be a motivator to Americans to switch to more efficient vehicles.

I concur; I just think that if it were truly a problem than the transition would happen without government intervention.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies