Would you be happy with Obama or McCain winning?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:29:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Would you be happy with Obama or McCain winning?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Even if you have a favourite, would you be satisfied with either candidate winning?
Yes, both of them would be fine

No, [the other guy] is awful

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Would you be happy with Obama or McCain winning?  (Read 3819 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 15, 2008, 11:46:20 AM »

There seemed to be a bit of sentiment in the 'Atlas Presidential Poll' thread that, even if you favour McCain or Obama, either would be acceptable. I'm interested in quantifying how large that sentiment is.

Second poll option should read '[the other guy/both] are awful' by the way.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 11:46:55 AM »

Hell no. McCain is a media whore, a panderer, a corrupt piece of human trash and a murderous, bloodthirsty thug.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 11:48:06 AM »

Hell no. McCain is a media whore, a panderer, a corrupt piece of human trash and a murderous, bloodthirsty thug.

35 seconds, BRTD. I believe that's a new record.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2008, 11:50:22 AM »

McCain is a media whore, a panderer, a corrupt piece of human trash and a murderous, bloodthirsty thug.

BRTD = flip-flopper.   Wink
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »

That's only because at the time McCain looked like a washed up joke and a terrible candidate.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:51:50 AM »

Well I could live with it, yes.  Another thread asked what candidates we respected or something like that......and I respect Obama and McCain.....not the Beast.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 11:52:49 AM »

Yep.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 11:53:05 AM »
« Edited: April 15, 2008, 11:56:20 AM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

No.  John McCain is an American Hero who understands what it means to sacrifice for our country, has sound judgement, and solid leadership qualities.  

Obama just doesn't cut it, and though I started out with a profound respect for his ideas and campaign style, I am becoming increasingly worried about the people who influence him and his elitist attitude.  I'm not running off to Canada - but if Obama were elected, I would really feel like America doesn't exist anymore.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 11:55:36 AM »

Obama calls him a genuine hero, so who will I believe, Obama or you?  Hmmmmm.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 12:03:04 PM »

Tune down all of that and remove the uniquely BRTD stuff and you have my opinion.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 12:09:06 PM »

No. McCain is basically a conservative, although he has some moderate traits, his victory would basically be a continuation of the direction we have been going in the past 8 years, and really the past quarter-century or more, which from a centrist point of view, not even from a liberal point of view, would be unfortunate. For example just to take a look at the news today, you have McCain proposing a gas tax holiday which, while it would certainly be popular, represents another short-term solution to a long-term problem at a time when people are finally starting to cut back on their consumption. So with McCain as the Republican nominee, the 2008 election is going to be a referendum on the conservative, corporate, myiopic and militaristic direction of the recent past, just as 1988 was in a sense a referendum on the Reagan years and 1968 was a referendum on the sixties and 1948 was a referendum on the Roosevelt years. I for one desperately want change.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 12:26:06 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2008, 12:31:59 PM by AHDuke99 »

No.  John McCain is an American Hero who understands what it means to sacrifice for our country, has sound judgement, and solid leadership qualities.  

Obama just doesn't cut it, and though I started out with a profound respect for his ideas and campaign style, I am becoming increasingly worried about the people who influence him and his elitist attitude.  I'm not running off to Canada - but if Obama were elected, I would really feel like America doesn't exist anymore.

I agree with a lot of your points. Early on when it looked like Huckabee or Romney would be the GOP nominee, I said I would vote for Obama if Bloomberg did not run. However, after learning what I have learned about him over the course of this election, I would have rallied behind Romney or Huckabee no matter how loony they are. Why? Obama is just as loony, only to the far left as opposed to the far right (in Hucks case). I don't trust anything Obama has to say, and I feel like he'll be a mediocre President or an inept one if he does make it to office. Sure, he'll give wonderful speeches, but actions speak louder than words, and Obama's record has nothing on it that would indicate that he could lead a bipartisan effort to solve anything. He'd just have to hope the Democrats get overwhelming majorities in Congress. I would not feel okay with Obama being President because I don't believe he'd put America first in his decisions. He's even said that when he talks about dealing with other nations as not putting America above them.

You won't have to run to Canada. Obama would bring it here. All liberals look to Canada as the beacon of intellect and perfect policies.

Plus, we'd have nuts like BRTD running around calling people racist if we criticize Obama or his policies. I imagine he won't be the only one. Seriously, people who disagree with Obama are treated as loons and it makes free speech look to be endanger. Some of the things I've read on this forum are truly frightening written by some of these Obama supporters.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 12:30:07 PM »

Yes, If Obama wasn't running I would be support McCain. In a Clinton vs McCain match up I would vote for McCain.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 12:35:57 PM »

While I remain unsure of how Obama intends to bring about what he wants - I'll take him over McCain's plans any day of the week.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 12:37:49 PM »

I wouldn't be entirely disappointed if McCain won, since I still have hope that the straight-talking McCain of 2000 still exists somewhere within that pandering McCain of 2008.

if Obama were elected, I would really feel like America doesn't exist anymore.

That's about the most hackish thing I've ever read.  Your username is accurate.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2008, 12:44:19 PM »

I was just giving my emotion on the matter.  It is not an intellectual position, just the way I would feel if I had to watch him take the oath of office.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2008, 12:45:04 PM »

Nope. I have some respect for McCain (for obvious reasons) but he is wrong on all of the major issues. It has to be Barack.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 12:46:20 PM »

I was just giving my emotion on the matter.  It is not an intellectual position, just the way I would feel if I had to watch him take the oath of office.

Why?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2008, 01:20:36 PM »

Why?

Not that hackish. It's how I felt in 2004. Everybody remotely partisan feels that way.
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2008, 01:21:37 PM »

Why?

I used to respect Barack Obama because I felt he was trying to get beyond the red-state/blue-state divide that has unfortunately settled into our body politic.  I doubt I would have even considered voting for him (see my username) but he did have my profound respect.

Since that time, the veil has been lifted and it turns out that he is a wolf in sheep's clothing.  The "hate Bush" crowd has rallied around him, and then we learned that his pastor made hateful remarks about our country in Obama's presence and Obama just sat in the pew without challenging the remarks or leaving the church.  Then he had the gall to just excuse Wright's attitudes, not admitting that Wright is passing along his own hate and bitterness to another generation of African-American youth.

Living in Memphis, you realize that African-Americans are much like Caucasians, yet you also learn that the resentments and attitudes that plagued previous generations aren't dead.   In fact, they may be getting worse.  When so many members of a group believe they are owed something, and you can't ever seem to repay the debt, it is extremely flustrating.  Yesterday it was the just and rightful principle of equality under the law, Today it is equality of outcome, Tomorrow it will be reparations for hundred-year-old greviances.   I cannot in good conscience support a President who apparently shares these resentments and acknowledged them by his silence at his "church". It will not get better unless we all step away from our bitterness, and dismantle the phony concept of race that was used to subjugate "non-White" people.  At first I thought Obama might be capable of this task... now I realize that he will only empower the nascent effort among blacks to use race to subjugate whites.

Now Obama has run off to his San Fransisco friends and reinforced their prejudices about hard-working Americans.  He didn't make the elitist remarks at a closed steel mill, he made them in San Franscisco.  I haven't lost a manufacturing job but I'm deeply offended.  I am tired of the elitism of the Democrats, and equally tired of the sepratism of the Republicans - who are unfortunately just as quick to make scapegoats of citizens of Massachusetts or San Fransisco.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2008, 01:24:19 PM »

I would not feel okay with Obama being President because I don't believe he'd put America first in his decisions. He's even said that when he talks about dealing with other nations as not putting America above them.

Non sequitur. You're interpreting his comments completely incorrectly. What it means is that he'll treat other countries as equal, won't look down on them. Where that means not putting America first is unknown to me.

Why?

I used to respect Barack Obama because I felt he was trying to get beyond the red-state/blue-state divide that has unfortunately settled into our body politic.  I doubt I would have even considered voting for him (see my username) but he did have my profound respect.

Since that time, the veil has been lifted and it turns out that he is a wolf in sheep's clothing.  The "hate Bush" crowd has rallied around him, and then we learned that his pastor made hateful remarks about our country in Obama's presence and Obama just sat in the pew without challenging the remarks or leaving the church.  Then he had the gall to just excuse Wright's attitudes, not admitting that Wright is passing along his own hate and bitterness to another generation of African-American youth.

Living in Memphis, you realize that African-Americans are much like Caucasians, yet you also learn that the resentments and attitudes that plagued previous generations aren't dead.   In fact, they may be getting worse.  When so many members of a group believe they are owed something, and you can't ever seem to repay the debt, it is extremely flustrating.  Yesterday it was the just and rightful principle of equality under the law, Today it is equality of outcome, Tomorrow it will be reparations for hundred-year-old greviances.   I cannot in good conscience support a President who apparently shares these resentments and acknowledged them by his silence at his "church". It will not get better unless we all step away from our bitterness, and dismantle the phony concept of race that was used to subjugate "non-White" people.  At first I thought Obama might be capable of this task... now I realize that he will only empower the nascent effort among blacks to use race to subjugate whites.

Now Obama has run off to his San Fransisco friends and reinforced their prejudices about hard-working Americans.  He didn't make the elitist remarks at a closed steel mill, he made them in San Franscisco.  I haven't lost a manufacturing job but I'm deeply offended.  I am tired of the elitism of the Democrats, and equally tired of the sepratism of the Republicans - who are unfortunately just as quick to make scapegoats of citizens of Massachusetts or San Fransisco.

You're saying people out here don't work hard? AngryTongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2008, 01:37:10 PM »

Obama would probably lead to the Republicans taking over Congress in 2010, balancing out and/or correcting a Left controlled Washington.  I guess I could go for two years of bad politics to get something out of it at the end his term.  McCain would continue with a Left-leaning Congress which has yet to be capable of doing anything.  So, with Congress one way or another being neutered, I can be content (not happy).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2008, 01:45:24 PM »

Obama would probably lead to the Republicans taking over Congress in 2010, balancing out and/or correcting a Left controlled Washington.  I guess I could go for two years of bad politics to get something out of it at the end his term.  McCain would continue with a Left-leaning Congress which has yet to be capable of doing anything.  So, with Congress one way or another being neutered, I can be content (not happy).

That would be the only positive outcome of this, but I would be afraid that Obama could get all his social programs and handouts passed in the two years before the 2010 election.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »

Obama would probably lead to the Republicans taking over Congress in 2010, balancing out and/or correcting a Left controlled Washington.
Right. You're not following the congressional board much, are you? 

Republicans won't retake the House before 2012, when there are new districts in place, at the theoretical earliest. And they know it - hence the bazillion retirements.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2008, 01:58:08 PM »

That would be the only positive outcome of this, but I would be afraid that Obama could get all his social programs and handouts passed in the two years before the 2010 election.

Which social programs are you afraid of?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies