Would you be happy with Obama or McCain winning?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:03:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Would you be happy with Obama or McCain winning?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Even if you have a favourite, would you be satisfied with either candidate winning?
Yes, both of them would be fine

No, [the other guy] is awful

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Would you be happy with Obama or McCain winning?  (Read 3789 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »

Obama would probably lead to the Republicans taking over Congress in 2010, balancing out and/or correcting a Left controlled Washington.  I guess I could go for two years of bad politics to get something out of it at the end his term.  McCain would continue with a Left-leaning Congress which has yet to be capable of doing anything.  So, with Congress one way or another being neutered, I can be content (not happy).

That would be the only positive outcome of this, but I would be afraid that Obama could get all his social programs and handouts passed in the two years before the 2010 election.

Which social programs are you afraid of?

Universal healthcare and the government subsidizing college tuitions are two of the ones that I particularly don't like.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »

Although I have serious reservations about Obama, I can't say I'd be incredibly miffed if he were elected.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2008, 02:09:15 PM »

Obama would probably lead to the Republicans taking over Congress in 2010, balancing out and/or correcting a Left controlled Washington.  I guess I could go for two years of bad politics to get something out of it at the end his term.  McCain would continue with a Left-leaning Congress which has yet to be capable of doing anything.  So, with Congress one way or another being neutered, I can be content (not happy).

That would be the only positive outcome of this, but I would be afraid that Obama could get all his social programs and handouts passed in the two years before the 2010 election.

Universal healthcare and the government subsidizing college tuitions are two of the ones that I particularly don't like.

I like the government subsidizing college tuition or at least community colleges, universal healthcare is a waste of time.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »

Hell no. McCain is a media whore, a panderer, a corrupt piece of human trash and a murderous, bloodthirsty thug.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »

...universal healthcare is a waste of time.

Do you mean persuing it is a waste of time as the State is controlled by the Drugs companies and medical lobbies?  Or do you mean because we're better off if sick poors will die off anyway?  Why do you take this rightwing view regarding health care, Josh?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 02:23:18 PM »

I like the government subsidizing college tuition or at least community colleges, universal healthcare is a waste of time.

I just don't believe the federal government needs to be giving handouts to everyone for college tuition. Scholarships and other ways to help people out are plenty. Maybe community colleges, but not universities. College isn't something everyone is entitled to. It's for people that work hard and earn the chance. Universal healthcare will just clout the healthcare industry. Out of the 44 million without healthcare, over half of them chose not to buy it. It will just raise my taxes.
jesmo

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »

AHDuke opposes health care, lol. I am not suprised. Typical of a former Giuliani supporter.

I am by no means an economic lefty extremist, but I really, really, really loath capitalists.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 02:26:23 PM »

AHDuke opposes health care, lol. I am not suprised. Typical of a former Giuliani supporter.

I am by no means an economic lefty extremist, but I really, really, really loath capitalists.
I saw the last post was yours and expected something along the line of "I wouldn't be happy with either".
jesmo

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »

I saw the last post was yours and expected something along the line of "I wouldn't be happy with either".

Well you are right, I would, NEVER, EVER, vote for McVain or Obambi.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 02:29:26 PM »

...College isn't something everyone is entitled to. It's for people that work hard and earn the chance.

No, it is for people who are privileged.  They certainly do not work or earn.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You poor deluded, do you realize that the 'healthcare industry' in the US is simply a mafia?  They are a racket that charges many multiples of what any given service is 'worth' simply because 1) they have control of the State, and 2) a gun to your head.  As for 'your' taxes being raised, you're a fool - you are a mere worker, whose income and taxes are insignificant.  If you care to dispute this, please list your income.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2008, 02:47:49 PM »

...College isn't something everyone is entitled to. It's for people that work hard and earn the chance.

No, it is for people who are privileged.  They certainly do not work or earn.

You poor deluded, do you realize that the 'healthcare industry' in the US is simply a mafia?  They are a racket that charges many multiples of what any given service is 'worth' simply because 1) they have control of the State, and 2) a gun to your head.  As for 'your' taxes being raised, you're a fool - you are a mere worker, whose income and taxes are insignificant.  If you care to dispute this, please list your income.

Everyone's taxes will go up when the Bush tax cuts are rolled back, not just the extremely wealthy. Raising taxes will not help the economy get out of recession either.

I know the healthcare in the US is regulated and companies are in charge of states. That's why I am for deregulating it so people can buy plans from other states and create a better , more level playing field--not one that the government artificially suppresses.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2008, 02:52:28 PM »

Everyone's taxes will go up when the Bush tax cuts are rolled back, not just the extremely wealthy. Raising taxes will not help the economy get out of recession either.

Poor people cannot pay any taxes, Dook, and of course the tax cuts for the rich do not help alleviate recession.  So the net effect upon the recession will be nil.

No, I typed the State, meaning leviathan, THE State.  Not the stupid american 'state' as in missouri or new jersey.  And you are as usual missing the main point - no alternative plan for 'buying' 'health plans' is of any use, simply because working class people cannot afford any such 'health plans'.  Not to mention they would be kicked off of them in case of any adversity.  No, only full socialized medicine can benefit the great majority of people.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 03:15:28 PM »

Just like it does in other countries like France, Canada, and the UK?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »

Precisely.  The lives of ordinary people in those countries are enormously better than the lives of ordinary americans - and in particular they are not allowed to die without medical care simply due to not having money.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2008, 03:21:22 PM »

Everyone's taxes will go up when the Bush tax cuts are rolled back, not just the extremely wealthy.

I'd suggest you take another look at the numbers.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2008, 03:25:52 PM »

McCain could actually be worse than a 3rd term for Bush, since McCain is just as crazy, but has higher approval ratings, and so could get more of the crazy agenda done.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2008, 03:30:51 PM »

Everyone's taxes will go up when the Bush tax cuts are rolled back, not just the extremely wealthy.

Kerry and Obama both said they'd only be raising taxes on the richest 1%.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »

Precisely.  The lives of ordinary people in those countries are enormously better than the lives of ordinary americans - and in particular they are not allowed to die without medical care simply due to not having money.

No one is turned away from a hospital because they don't have health insurance. Sure, their treatment is less than what someone else gets with health insurance, but we don't have people die because they are refused care. I'd rather not see coverage rationed out and wait lists become the norm like in other countries. Why don't people go to Canada, UK and France for healthcare coverage if their system is so great?

Also, people may have such a better standard of life because these countries are so much smaller than the US. Sure, it can work with 50 million people, but 300 million?

I'd suggest you take another look at the numbers.

I suggest you look at the numbers too.

They reduced the percentage paid across all tax brackets. The only reason the rich got the biggest cut with because they pay the most in taxes. The top 50% pay 99% of the nations income taxes. In fact, the tax cuts shifted more of the taxes to the rich.

http://www.heritage.org/research/taxes/bg2001.cfm

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »

No one is turned away from a hospital because they don't have health insurance. Sure, their treatment is less than what someone else gets with health insurance, but we don't have people die because they are refused care.

That is utter nonsense like most of your posts.  If a poor person has cancer they are allowed to die untreated.  You are talking only about 'emergencies'.

Because, obviously, that is not allowed.  That care is provided for citizens of those countries only - they do not want people from poor countries like the US trying to get in.

Yes.  It is well within the scope and capability of the bureacracy to multiply by six.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »

You actually believe our government can run a system like that? I don't know about you, but everything the government gets involved with seems to go down hill.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »

Im sorry, im not a big McCain fan. Honestly id rather have Hillary over him.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2008, 06:46:02 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2008, 06:57:12 PM by Nutmeg »

but we don't have people die because they are refused care.

Absolutely untrue.  You really have no idea what's going on in this country, do you?

Also, with regard to your "rationing" comment: With the portion of our GDP that we spend on health care today, we could easily afford to cover all Americans with the same amount of resources if the middlemen are cut out.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2008, 07:47:18 PM »

I would be happy with McCain winning. 

I would not be happy at all with Obama winning.

There is too much we do not know about Obama.  I fear he is leading his fanatical followers down the garden path.  He is like a 21st century pied piper, playing his magic flute, leading his mesmerized followers to a place they know not where.

A first term liberal Senator with an unclear agenda does not leave me with a nice, comfortable feeling.   
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2008, 07:50:34 PM »

Obama, of course Smiley / McCain - only in so far as he's not George W Bush

Dave
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2008, 10:24:50 AM »

Yes.

I wouldn't have a problem with either of those two being president.   Both are decent, upstanding individuals in my book.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies