11 year old factory workers, 6 day work weeks, very long hours = "good work"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:13:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  11 year old factory workers, 6 day work weeks, very long hours = "good work"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 11 year old factory workers, 6 day work weeks, very long hours = "good work"?  (Read 6217 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 12, 2008, 01:08:27 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeV2KzGGC38

Responding to Obama's comments about jobless people in small town PA, Clinton recently said that he grandfather, who went to work in a factory at age 11, working 6 day weeks and very long hours, had "good work."

Why do some Democrats say this kind of nonsense? These are not good jobs. Good jobs don't make you work 6 days a week for very long hours doing the same mindless repetition for decades. It's unfortunate when people haven't had a good enough education to do anything but work in a factory. Instead of glorifying this mindless, degrading work, we should be trying to give people a good education so that they have skills more valuable than those requisite to work in a factory.

More Americans should be graduating highschool, more Americans should be attending college. We should be proud that factories are leaving our country. It indicates that workers in the U.S. demand higher salaries than factories are willing to pay. The problem is that these people were left behind by the education system, and that should be the issue that we're addressing, not glorifying 6 day a week child labor.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 01:31:40 PM »

Responding to Obama's comments about jobless people in small town PA, Clinton recently said that he grandfather, who went to work in a factory at age 11, working 6 day weeks and very long hours, had "good work."

Why do some Democrats say this kind of nonsense? These are not good jobs. Good jobs don't make you work 6 days a week for very long hours doing the same mindless repetition for decades. It's unfortunate when people haven't had a good enough education to do anything but work in a factory. Instead of glorifying this mindless, degrading work, we should be trying to give people a good education so that they have skills more valuable than those requisite to work in a factory.

More Americans should be graduating highschool, more Americans should be attending college. We should be proud that factories are leaving our country. It indicates that workers in the U.S. demand higher salaries than factories are willing to pay. The problem is that these people were left behind by the education system, and that should be the issue that we're addressing, not glorifying 6 day a week child labor.

So.  At least she didn't call us all White Trash.  Honestly, I think there are plenty here who would rather have those days back.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 01:36:14 PM »

This is reaching parody levels.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »

What, I don't have a right to be insulted?

As I have pointed out from the start, Obama abhors the race card when it is used on him, but he is never shy about playing.  Usually he is more subtle, though.

I hope Obama burns in Hell, personally.  Everything about him is fake.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »

As I have pointed out from the start, Obama abhors the race card when it is used on him, but he is never shy about playing.  Usually he is more subtle, though.

How very christian of you sir.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 03:00:49 PM »

WTF? You just insulted most of this country. Sure those jobs suck but they are necessary and are better in America where you are payed decently for doing sh**tty work and got America where it is today.
Besides when those jobs leave, we get the Steelworkers and Manufacturers to do crappy service jobs that pay much less, and are much less necessary.

So pretty much jobs leave country= less pay for doing more mindless work, having workers do mindless work in other countries for terrible, terrible slave wages, and essentially forcing the children of ex-steelmen not have the money to send their children to college.

You don't understand much about the world do you?
(By the way, My Dad does "mindless" work as a Carpenter, so does most of the rest of my family)
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 03:05:46 PM »

If your insulted by this then I sense a very low tolerance level for anything you don't like.
Obama is simply stated a evident truth which no-one speaks. I bet you Hillary and to some extent, McCain, agree with him. However they are the one's to fake to speak about it. This should show that Obama is actually one politician that speaks their mind and doesn't adhere to what is "politically-correct" like Clinton and McCain. This solidifies my support for him because I actually know where he stands on the issues. That's why I had to laugh at your "fake" comment.

Also you should hope for salvation for your neighbor, not condemnation. 
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 03:28:29 PM »

It is also worth noting, jacob, that there is a fundamental mis-understanding of what is a 'job'.  Everyone seems to assume they must be 'private sector', and thus in order to have a job one must have a profit-making owner of the working person.  This is really not necessary, as we may simply create jobs through government action, and certainly those jobs can be made very pleasant and easy. 

Also, the quality of life in any given 'job' is not determined by the 'education level' of the poor worker stuck in it, but rather politically.  Thus, the lowliest postal clerk has a better job in Germany than does the american engineer who has borrowed $200,000 to buy his right to be exploited by his owner.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 03:33:10 PM »

Not everyone can have a job that is interesting.  Besides, those jobs that you're poo-pooing improved their standard of income, helped put their children through school, helped their parents survive when times were tough.  And in those days, most children at lower income levels had to work at an earlier age - the ones that had to go work on the farm simply don't show up as much to the people who want to see them.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 03:43:11 PM »

So.  At least she didn't call us all White Trash.  Honestly, I think there are plenty here who would rather have those days back.

The only one calling anyone else white trash is you.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 04:03:21 PM »

Not everyone can have a job that is interesting.  Besides, those jobs that you're poo-pooing improved their standard of income, helped put their children through school, helped their parents survive when times were tough.  And in those days, most children at lower income levels had to work at an earlier age - the ones that had to go work on the farm simply don't show up as much to the people who want to see them.

More or less what I was going to write.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 06:54:18 PM »

Neither did Obama. Get real Smiley. I'd long considered you above being a hack

Dave
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008, 07:02:50 PM »

What? 6 day a week child labor isn't good? People should have an education? Wtf are you? a liberal? Smiley

Seriously, she said "but". It was "good work" because it enabled a living that at least eventually helped sustain a family, despite the long hours and the unacceptably early age when it started.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 07:06:42 PM »

Can't believe I missed that Sad. I've I to tell you what it is. Many Republicans can't handle the propect of Obama being an infinitely better president than George W Bush, for whom, everything about him is so inept

That's why conservatives hate Bill Clinton because the generally positive opinion of his administration sticks in their idiological throats

Dave
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »

Gee, this Obama counter-cult is even more dangerous the Anti-Bush or Obama cult. If this cult-like thinking controls the rest of the election. Something tells me that I should be trying get the f-uck as far as possible away from the coming train wreck.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2008, 08:10:36 PM »

Dave

Have you already forgotten this one? https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=60175.0
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2008, 08:23:52 PM »

Dave

Have you already forgotten this one? https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=60175.0

I must have turned a blind eye or failed to even notice that one

Dave
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 11:25:26 PM »

I wasn't speaking in my capacity as a Christian there.  I was speaking in my capacity as a typical white person.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 11:30:03 PM »

Dave

Ah... the classics.  This isn't hackery Dave, even if he didn't say "white trash" he basically used the definition to describe people in Western Pennsylvania.  I gotta tell you, we love the stereotype every time we hear it.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2008, 01:24:01 AM »

I wasn't speaking in my capacity as a Christian there.  I was speaking in my capacity as a typical white person.

That was fcuking weak. Try again please.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 02:29:25 AM »

Well, I tired humor, now I'm just gonna say how I really feel which is that Obama is an elitiest, racist, lying asshole who in my mind fits many of the criteria for the anti-Christ.

You don't put down a whole region of people and expect to walk away clean.  Either Obama is exceedingly stupid, or he is doing this as some kind of political calculation.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 02:30:47 PM »

Well, I tired humor, now I'm just gonna say how I really feel which is that Obama is an elitiest, racist, lying asshole who in my mind fits many of the criteria for the anti-Christ.

Wow. Talk about distorted perceptions.

We don't even know if the anti-Christ is even a single person or whether it's a group of people or an organization.
The Pope, in some people's minds, fit many criteria for the anti-Christ. Heck, you could make any person out to be the anti-Christ if you tried hard enough.
Pope John Paul II, George W. Bush, Pope Benedict, Adolf Hitler, Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagen, etc, all fit certain criteria for being the anti-Christ.

Jacobtm

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 10:16:39 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't know anyone who would say policemen, mailmen etc. don't have real "jobs"...

While the government certainly does employ people, the problem is that usually gov't jobs pay relatively well and are relatively easy. This means they're done less efficiently than private-sector jobs, which demand more from the laborer. This means that the government must in total collect more money than private-sector businesses would to sustain an equal workforce. This means the gov't cannot sustain as many workers as the private sector could, and the larger % of the workforce the gov't employs, the higher unemployment there usually is. So it's a tradeoff. Easy jobs for less people, or more arduous jobs for more people.

It's debatable whether german postal clerks are better off than engineers, it's gotta be case-by-case to see how happy each is. But any extra benefits a german postal clerk gets aren't free benefits to society, they're bought at the price of higher unemployment.
Jacobtm

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »

Manufacturing jobs are not necessary in america. The low wages that labor demands in poor countries is great, so that costs in rich countries can be kept down. If you employ Americans at $17 an hour to make something that any able-bodied human can do, you're wasting your money, and the product will be too expensive. Exporting menial labor to poorer countries is fantastic for saving money for everyone who buys any manufactured goods.

When these jobs leave, the unfortunate side effect is that many people are left without any skills useful to the modern American economy, and are stuck doing just as menial jobs, the only exception being that these jobs, such as manning restaurants or doing janitorial work, need to be done by local people. This is why we should be focusing on educating these people so that they can do better, more useful, more lucrative jobs, so that they're not forced into these bad jobs.

Most people who worked in factories for decades are effectively ed by this inevitable process of capital employing the cheapest labor possible. Hopefully though, their children will complete school and learn a useful trade to make money in the modern economy. Again, this is why the issue should be improving our education so that these people can learn unique, rarer skills. Any human can be employed in a factory, you get higher wages for specializing into fields that are more exclusive, where labor is more scarce.
I understand how capital has been working, and will continue to work, for as long as there are income differentials within this world. Jobs that can be done by any able-bodied human will always be done by those who demand the lowest salary for it. People with skills that are more useful and more rare get rewarded with higher salaries.

Carpenters are different than factory workers, because carpenters must be domestic, for now. Until we can literally fly in poor people from other places to build sh**t, carpenters, repairmen, automechanics etc. will be very safe jobs and necessary for our country to function.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 10:02:48 PM »

Thanks to NAFTA, which she supported, that "good work" is no longer available in this country.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies