Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 12:36:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25
Author Topic: Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...  (Read 42703 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2008, 09:52:09 PM »

It all apparently causes them to like guns. If the folks were not bitter, they would favor gun control like Obama does.

No, it causes them to place more obscure issues like gun control and gay marriage ahead of their economic interests.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2008, 09:53:10 PM »

I look forward to people freaking out about it here. You guys will get upset about anything.

I called it, baby Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2008, 09:56:46 PM »

It all apparently causes them to like guns. If the folks were not bitter, they would favor gun control like Obama does.

No, it causes them to place more obscure issues like gun control and gay marriage ahead of their economic interests.

I mean, when you lose so much control of your life you get pretty ...lets face it... desperate to have control over SOMETHING.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2008, 09:58:16 PM »

Thanks for helping me with all of this. Who knew? 
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2008, 10:00:31 PM »

Vote Obama.  Get in touch with your inner victim.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2008, 10:04:17 PM »

Haha. I can see the Republican response: "Your job was moved overseas? What were you thinking??"
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »

And Obama is going to stop jobs from moving overseas.

uh, yeah.  Sure he will.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »

Haha. I can see the Republican response: "Your job was moved overseas? What were you thinking??"

Ya, that is why we need economic autarky like the Soviet Union had. That stopped the moving of jobs elsewhere in its tracks. Folks kept their jobs making stuff that was the only stuff available for its citizens to buy. And it was all good hell.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2008, 10:09:11 PM »

And Obama is going to stop jobs from moving overseas.

uh, yeah.  Sure he will.

Ya, that is why we need economic autarky like the Soviet Union had. That stopped the moving of jobs elsewhere in its tracks. Folks kept their jobs making stuff that was the only stuff available for its citizens to buy. And it was all good hell.

Well that is what I said, isn't it?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2008, 10:13:39 PM »

If you did, then you are very perspicacious. Smiley
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2008, 10:16:06 PM »

This was the lead political story on the local news here.  Obama's comments an Hillary's (and McCain's) response. 

tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2008, 10:18:24 PM »

Oh you so just wanted to use that word.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »

Are people trying to deny it isn't good to have reasonable jobs in the United States? Sure, we want cheap stuff and our Sonys and V-dubs, and they are on sale now, but can we buy them? What these big business conservatives don't understand is that it doesn't matter how stuff there is to buy or by how much growth there is if you personally don't see a dime of it and cannot buy any of the neat stuff for sale. I mean, if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? I guess it does if you mean via osmosis whilst watching VH1 or Celebrity Cribs and sometimes Bloomberg. Yes. It's great that our jobs are done cheaper and more easily by other people, but we actually have make some collective sacrifices so that we have jobs that no one else in the world can do. In order to do that, we will have spend much more money on infrastructure, research, education, business incubation and yes, redistribute tax credits from older industries, like oil, electronics and heave machinery to newer industries such as solar, wind, hydrogen, atomic energies, artificial intellegence (though we may miss the boat on it), space development and medical research (even if it means giving more to "Big Pharma", but if they play fair, there's no reason why we shouldn't reward them). Then again, this probably means raising taxes, especially if the war in Iraq continues, albeit for a fixed amount of time.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »

This was the lead political story on the local news here.  Obama's comments an Hillary's (and McCain's) response. 

Well, this is straight talk, whether or not people are listening will be heard.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2008, 10:23:40 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2008, 10:26:14 PM by Torie »

Oh you so just wanted to use that word.

It just popped out spontaneously as an irresistible impulse actually, and in that crime movie, Anatomy of a Murder,  with George C Scott as the prosecutor and James Stewart as the defense lawyer, per Michigan Statutes allegedly back them, that was a defense - even to murder she wrote, and that must have been true, because a real live judge in Michigan wrote the screenplay.

If you haven't seen the movie, you should rent it. Smiley
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2008, 10:28:37 PM »

I haven't seen this posted yet, so here's Obama's response, my apologies if it's here somewhere.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/11/obama-slams-critics-on-middle-class-comments/
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2008, 10:31:06 PM »

Full text:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2008, 10:31:24 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2008, 10:35:39 PM by Torie »

Mr Diamond, one cannot improve the overall standard of living, except by increasing the skills of those who work. So yes, education and good work habits are job one (that is why we need a total revamping of our secondary school system, particularly in non elite zip codes). A more robust poaching of the best and brightest from abroad will be an interim palliative, but not a long term one. The rest is all counterproductive. It over the longer term, will degrade economic well being, not enhance it. The harsh mistress of comparative economic advantage must rule. The alternative is economic failure, and relative penury, vis a vis those who respect the mistress.  Politicians beyond the realm suggested, and mere driftwood in a rapid stream as it were, helpless and useless, except to do damage.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2008, 10:45:23 PM »

I actually think what Obama is saying is painting an accurate picture. That's my thoughts on the matter. Call me what you wish.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »

I actually think what Obama is saying is painting an accurate picture. That's my thoughts on the matter. Call me what you wish.

Probably someone not a member of the demographic which is the subject of the discussion precipitated by Mr. Obama is my best guess.  Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2008, 10:49:58 PM »

Well, this is straight talk, whether or not people are listening will be heard.

Bull, there is no relation with manufacturing jobs and guns and/or faith.  This is a massive non sequitur on the part Obama, at best.  At worst, it is stereotyping based on class and possibly race. 

The economy was largely based on steel production.  In the late 1970's, we stopped making so much out of steel.  The economy, in some of these smaller towns, never shifted, though that was changing even in the late 1980's.
elcorazon

« Reply #121 on: April 11, 2008, 10:50:57 PM »

He has such insight to say such things. If people voted without hate and fear, we've never elect a Republican.
agreed
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #122 on: April 11, 2008, 10:51:04 PM »

Does anyone else think that if Hillary brings this up in the debate Obama will slam it down her throat?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #123 on: April 11, 2008, 10:54:02 PM »

And so people end up- they don’t vote on economic issues because they don’t expect anybody’s going to help them. So people end up, you know, voting on issues like guns, and are they going to have the right to bear arms. They vote on issues like gay marriage. And they take refuge in their faith and their community and their families and things they can count on. But they don’t believe they can count on Washington. So I made this statement-- so, here’s what rich.  Senator Clinton says ‘No, I don’t think that people are bitter in Pennsylvania.  You know, I think Barack’s being condescending.’  John McCain says, ‘Oh, how could he say that?  How could he say people are bitter? You know, he’s obviously out of touch with people.’ 

If he doesn't those those things are unimportant, Obama is out of touch.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: April 11, 2008, 10:57:52 PM »

And so people end up- they don’t vote on economic issues because they don’t expect anybody’s going to help them. So people end up, you know, voting on issues like guns, and are they going to have the right to bear arms. They vote on issues like gay marriage. And they take refuge in their faith and their community and their families and things they can count on. But they don’t believe they can count on Washington. So I made this statement-- so, here’s what rich.  Senator Clinton says ‘No, I don’t think that people are bitter in Pennsylvania.  You know, I think Barack’s being condescending.’  John McCain says, ‘Oh, how could he say that?  How could he say people are bitter? You know, he’s obviously out of touch with people.’ 

If he doesn't those those things are unimportant, Obama is out of touch.

Words. You put them in Obama's mouth, but they're not there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies