Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:50:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25
Author Topic: Obama on Small-Town Pennsylvania...  (Read 42947 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »

As someone who grew up in one of those small towns, during a blue collar prosperity era, I can say that the people there, "cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment" because of economic displacement. 

I've gotten the impression of an elitist attitude in Obama, and this typifies it.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2008, 07:01:15 PM »

Hilllary Rodham Clinton: "Pennsylvanians Don't Need A President Who Looks Down On Them"

http://tpmelectioncentral.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/04/obama_on_guns_and_religion_in.php

Dave
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »

These gross generalizations with a dash of armchair psychobabble, are pretty annoying. Maybe these folks like guns because western PA is abundant with hunting areas, and it is still a major form of recreation. And maybe it is less resentment than less exposure to PC politics. And maybe the folks there are as diverse in their motivations, as well - yep - you guessed it -  the folks in San Francisco!  And maybe Obama is well, yep you guessed it again, a social snob - yes snob. That is my psychobabble thought for the day. Hey, two can play this game you know. Cheer. Tongue

Another reason is that many of these towns do not have full time police protection.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »

Oh yeah? Why does Pennsylvania suddenly count now but not every other caucus/primary state doesnt? Shes the last person to talk about somebody looking down on other states.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2008, 07:09:21 PM »

I like the fact that jfern posts the whole quote of the line from the speech with the idea that it makes Obama look less condescending.  Only in Berkeley...
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »

What a joke this whole manufactured controversy is.

Look at this comments in context, and they were basically the same as J.J.'s comments above.

Can we talk about the issues, the themes? No. The only thing interesting is the dirt. And how to spin it. This is how the future of great superpowers is decided.

When will Democrats learn that the media is controlled by the establishment and the same media that destroyed Gore and allowed Kerry to be swiftboated and then destroyed both Clintons is not going to give Obama a free pass?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2008, 07:12:24 PM »

Oh yeah? Why does Pennsylvania suddenly count now but not every other caucus/primary state doesnt? Shes the last person to talk about somebody looking down on other states.

Hillary Rodham Clinton disgusts me more and more with each and every passing day

Dave
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2008, 07:12:51 PM »

Uh, so I "cling to religion" because of loss of jobs etc.  Thanks for explaining that to me Senator.  And all along I thought it had to do with my faith.

I'm really starting to despise this arrogant elitist.  

Keep talking Senator.  The mask continues to slip.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2008, 07:13:07 PM »

I'm surprised no one noted the real gaffe:

Obama called Pennsylvania a Midwestern state

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But this is all a big-little nothing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2008, 07:13:55 PM »

Hillary Rodham Clinton disgusts me more and more with each and every passing day

Dave

Lets hope for the sake of America that most Democrats who actually live in this country don't feel that they candidate who is not their first choice "disgusts them more and more with each and every passing day" for waging a campaign.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2008, 07:18:45 PM »

No, he called small towns in Pennsylvania "like" a lot of small towns in the Midwest, as far as I can tell?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: April 11, 2008, 07:26:31 PM »

Dave

Lets hope for the sake of America that most Democrats who actually live in this country don't feel that they candidate who is not their first choice "disgusts them more and more with each and every passing day" for waging a campaign.

The time it's taking Democrats to settle on a presidential nominee, I'm beginning to wonder whether they want to win at all

The right will be making the most of this, I expect better from Clinton - a Democrat Smiley

Funny how this story breaks the day Rasmussen reports Obama leading McCain, handidly, in PA; while other pollsters have him snapping at Clinton's heels in PA Democratic primary

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »

What a joke this whole manufactured controversy is.

Look at this comments in context, and they were basically the same as J.J.'s comments above.

Can we talk about the issues, the themes? No. The only thing interesting is the dirt. And how to spin it. This is how the future of great superpowers is decided.

When will Democrats learn that the media is controlled by the establishment and the same media that destroyed Gore and allowed Kerry to be swiftboated and then destroyed both Clintons is not going to give Obama a free pass?

Can't disagree with you there Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2008, 07:34:42 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2008, 07:36:13 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Can we get over the total and utter bullsh**t meme that the so called media is somehow pro Obama? They are doing their best to take him down like they took down Gore and Kerry. They want President McCain.  The real story here is what a rag the so called media is.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2008, 07:34:56 PM »

I applaud Senator Obama's comments. This only serves to strengthen my support for him.

As for the political impact... if Rev. Wright had very little impact, I can't see this having much of any (maybe it will hurt him a little in PA but he's going to lose there anyway).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 11, 2008, 07:35:49 PM »

No, he called small towns in Pennsylvania "like" a lot of small towns in the Midwest, as far as I can tell?

No need for the question mark. You are correct Alcon.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #66 on: April 11, 2008, 07:40:27 PM »

Not quite. It seems that he is comparing the condition of a class of small towns in PA to be similar to the class of small towns in other states of the Midwest ... which PA isn't. It would be like saying, in exaggeration,

"You know, Atlanta, like a lot of cities on the West Coast, has a crime problem ..."

But, like I said, it's a minor contention.

What concerns me more is that, if the Obama supporters had their way, all criticism of their candidate is illegitimate and thus off-limits, for any number of reasons. Just take a look at their handling of other flare-ups ... thin-skinned and personal.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2008, 07:40:58 PM »

Uh, so I "cling to religion" because of loss of jobs etc.  Thanks for explaining that to me Senator.  And all along I thought it had to do with my faith.

I'm really starting to despise this arrogant elitist.  

Keep talking Senator.  The mask continues to slip.

Not as much as I have a deep disdain for Republicans, who talk like populists, but serve elite interests

Of the three potential presidents, Obama, in my humble opinion, is the most modest, assuming of them all. It's rare any politician connects with me on a personal level

Dave
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2008, 07:41:34 PM »

Dave

The time it's taking Democrats to settle on a presidential nominee, I'm beginning to wonder whether they want to win at all

The right will be making the most of this, I expect better from Clinton - a Democrat Smiley

Funny how this story breaks the day Rasmussen reports Obama leading McCain, handidly, in PA; while other pollsters have him snapping at Clinton's heels in PA Democratic primary

Dave

You're right. Now that I've become neutral in the primary, the danger is that people choose sides and then see things through tinted glasses- myself included at times- they become so entrenched in that side that they never come around. But you're right, I'm sorry for snapping at you. Smiley
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2008, 07:42:39 PM »

Yep. No need to guild the lily. What he is saying is that parts of Pennsylvania are every bit as much as a dump as the parts of the Midwest that are so benighted that they would vote for a witch rather than him, and so if he loses Pennsylvania, well there is only so much on can do with such people. Some just aren't responsive to rehabilitation therapy. Facts are facts.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »

I look forward to people freaking out about it here. You guys will get upset about anything.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2008, 07:51:58 PM »

I like how this is considered breaking news when it all of this happened sunday. Its been floating around for nearly a week and is only just now beginning to flare....hmm...
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2008, 07:54:12 PM »

Obama speaks the truth.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2008, 07:54:21 PM »

Some people have to manufacture their disgust
A pointless story and they spontaneously combust
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »

Dave

Dave

You're right. Now that I've become neutral in the primary, the danger is that people choose sides and then see things through tinted glasses- myself included at times- they become so entrenched in that side that they never come around. But you're right, I'm sorry for snapping at you. Smiley

Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 25  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies