Presidential Survivor Poll 6
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 01:21:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Presidential Survivor Poll 6
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Next...
William Howard Taft (1909-1913)

Woodrow Wilson (1913-1921)

Warren Gamaliel Harding (1921-1923)

Calvin Coolidge (1923-1929)

Herbert Hoover (1929-1933)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Presidential Survivor Poll 6  (Read 1055 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 07, 2008, 08:29:42 PM »

Okay, Folks,

The results from Poll 5:  Teddy Roosevelt crushed all the competition with 19 votes.  Grover Cleveland came in a very distant second with 2 votes, but because two presidents move on to the second round, he gets to move on.  Arthur got a vote, but Ben Harrison and Bill McKinley got shut out.

Poll 6 features the lead up to WW1, WW1 and the Armistice (which I call World War 1 1/2).  This also features the rolling 20's and the Great Depression.

Poll 6 expires Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 8:30 pm CDT

I've always like Wilson, and I really think he was a great leader during the first world war.  I have tremendous respect for him as a president, and thus he gets my vote.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:38:49 PM »

Woodrow Wilson, who was a Virginian, despite what people say.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 08:58:49 PM »

William Howard Taft
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 09:26:50 PM »

He may have been a Virginian, but he certainly was a racist bastard and the worst president of the 20th century.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 09:35:24 PM »

He may have been a Virginian, but he certainly was a racist bastard and the worst president of the 20th century.

In his day and age, he was actually pretty sympathetic toward the plight of non-European, non-white peoples, much to the chagrin of David Lloyd George and Clemenceau.  What are you basing your opinion on the racism of Woodrow Wilson?  The fact that he enjoyed Birth of a Nation?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 10:28:09 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2008, 07:04:38 PM by Douglas Hordern »

In his day and age, he was actually pretty sympathetic toward the plight of non-European, non-white peoples, much to the chagrin of David Lloyd George and Clemenceau.  What are you basing your opinion on the racism of Woodrow Wilson?  The fact that he enjoyed Birth of a Nation?

I'm basing my opinion on the fact that his administration imposed full racial segregation in Washington and hounded from office considerable numbers of black federal employees.

I'll grant that Wilson wasn't the most racist person to have ever held office in the United States, just that he was the most racist President since the days of Lincoln.  His racism came from the same anti-multculturalist impulses that lead him to argue in favor of national self-determination "to the chagrin of David Lloyd George and Clemenceau" as you put it.  For him, blacks simply were not part of the same culture as whites and therefore should not be treated the same.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 06:22:35 PM »

Taft was an anti-trust moron.
Wilson oversaw the 16th, 17th, and 18th Amendments, signed the Federal Reserve Act, started the second federal income tax, got the United States into a European War we had no business in fighting in, championed the League of Nations, and is partially responsible for the rise of Adolf Hitler into power.
Hoover signed ridiculous protectionist laws and paved the way for FDR's fascist economic New Deal.

That leaves Harding and Coolidge. I'll go with Harding, due to him being slightly more laissez-faire than the latter.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 08:04:56 PM »

Woodrow Wilson was a racist who installed segregationism in the federal government and fired blacks. He failed to take a strong enough stance against Germany after incidents like the attack on the RMS Lusitania and was very reluctant to grant women suffrage. Harding's economic policies helped create the prosperity of the Roaring Twenties, but his administration was corrupt and damaged the institution of the presidency. Hoover's economic policies were inclined towards big government and he supported the Smoot-Hawley Tariff which worsened the Great Depression.

Between Taft and Coolidge, the latter is obviously the better choice. He was an early supporter of low taxes, presided over a period of great economic growth, reduced the national debt, and gave Native Americans full U.S. citizenship. Therefore, I choose Calvin Coolidge.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 06:46:53 PM »

Each of the Republicans on that list were incompetent.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008, 08:22:08 PM »

Taft gets a much tougher rap than he deserves.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies