Zimbabwe: Opposition Wins in a Landslide
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:41:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Zimbabwe: Opposition Wins in a Landslide
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Zimbabwe: Opposition Wins in a Landslide  (Read 6673 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 30, 2008, 08:35:16 PM »

I bet the next thing we're going to hear is that Robert Mugabe has imposed martial law, and declared the election results invalid......

Opposition Claims Win in Zimbabwe on Unofficial Tally

By THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: March 31, 2008

HARARE, Zimbabwe — Zimbabwe’s main opposition party said Sunday that it had won a landslide victory, insisting that unofficial election results showed that the Movement for Democratic Change had unseated President Robert G. Mugabe, the man who has led this nation for 28 years.

Those results had been compiled by adding the vote counts posted at hundreds of individual polling stations, and were not formally released by the government. Indeed, the nation’s chief election officer warned that the opposition’s boasts were premature and asked people to wait for official totals.

People did just that, anxiously watching the government television station on Sunday for announcements about the election the day before. But instead of news they were shown irrelevant fare like a program about biodegradable Chinese plastic and a documentary about the Netherlands’ 1974 soccer team.

Near midnight, the election commissioner, George Chiweshe, finally announced that the official results would begin coming out at 6 a.m. Monday. “It is of absolute necessity that at each stage the result be meticulously analyzed, witnessed and confirmed,” he said. “This is a laborious and complex process.”

In the meantime, Zimbabwe’s future has seemed to rest in a state of suspended animation, with people awaiting the first official results, wondering if the numbers were being carefully tabulated or craftily concocted.

“We’ve won this election,” declared Tendai Biti, the M.D.C.’s general secretary, in something like a pre-emptive strike. “The trend is irreversible.”

“The results coming in show that in our traditional strongholds, we are massacring them,” he said. “In Mugabe’s traditional strongholds, they are doing very badly. There is no way Mugabe can claim victory except through fraud. He has lost this election.”

If Mr. Mugabe, 84, is defeated, it may mean a new chance for a once prosperous country that now has one of the world’s sorriest economies. It would surely be a signal event for Africa itself, with another of its enduring autocrats beaten against long odds by the will of the electorate.

The M.D.C.’s presidential candidate is Morgan Tsvangirai, a former labor leader. In 2002, the early count also showed him well ahead of Mr. Mugabe. Then the broadcast of results suddenly stopped. When they resumed, hours later, the president had thundered ahead based on late returns.

Outcries about fraud were among the reasons for rule changes this time. It was agreed that results would be counted at each polling station and then publicly posted to prevent any trickery with the numbers.

Late Saturday, many of those posted numbers began traveling across the country as text messages on cellphones, passed along not only between party activists but between journalists and independent election watchdogs.

“It’s a tsunami for M.D.C.,” was a phrase frequently repeated.

The party had not only swept most of the big cities like Harare and Bulawayo, where it was previously strong, the opposition said, but it had also won in Masvingo and Bindura and dozens of other places it had never won before.

Seven of Mr. Mugabe’s cabinet members were defeated in their races for Parliament, according to reports phoned in by journalists. It appeared that Mr. Mugabe was being thoroughly repudiated.

The Zimbabwe Election Support Network, an independent civic group, employed an elaborate plan to gather the posted returns. By Sunday afternoon, Noel Kututwa, its chief, said the organization had collected 88 percent of the urban vote and 40 percent of the rural vote. He criticized the government for not releasing the totals sooner. “The delay in announcing the votes has fueled the speculation that something is going on,” he said.

Mr. Kututwa refused to say which candidate was winning in the results he had in hand. But another member of the support network, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Mr. Mugabe was well behind.

Still, even by the support network’s math, there were a lot of polling stations whose vote totals were unknown, including many in the rural areas of Mashonaland where the president has always reaped sizable margins.

Even while declaring victory, Mr. Biti of the M.D.C. worried aloud about a reversal of fortune. “In some areas where we thought the results were final, some ballot boxes are actually missing,” he said.

There were other worrisome signs. Prior to the election, Zimbabwe’s security chiefs each said they would support no one but Mr. Mugabe, a hero of the country’s struggle against colonialism. In a joint announcement, they also warned opposition candidates from making victory proclamations based on unofficial totals and “thereby fomenting disorder and mayhem.”

Helmeted riot police patrolled many of Harare’s streets late Sunday.

Come Monday, the followers of one candidate or the other were expected to feel deeply aggrieved. President Mugabe has cast the opposition as puppets of Zimbabwe’s colonial masters, the British. If he loses, some will feel their national sovereignty has been put at risk. On the other hand, if Mr. Mugabe wins, the M.D.C. will undoubtedly allege that the vote was stolen.

Mr. Mugabe has presided over an economic freefall that began in 2000 when the government seized agricultural land owned by whites. About a quarter of Zimbabwe’s 13 million people have fled the country; 80 percent to 90 percent of those left are unemployed.

The inflation rate is more than 100,000 percent.

But Mr. Mugabe’s government controls the news media here and has doled out food and other favors that critics see as attempts to buy votes. And the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission, a body dominated by Mr. Mugabe’s appointees, has been commonly accused by the M.D.C. of rigging elections.

Still, there was hope here that this election might be more transparent than the last. Last March, Mr. Tsvangirai was badly beaten by the police at a prayer rally, but he has campaigned largely without interference, speaking to huge crowds.

The posting of results by precinct has contributed to the optimism.

“The key has always been to get the results posted at the polling stations,” said Mike Davies, a longtime community activist with the Combined Harare Residents Association. “If the results are posted, it becomes so much harder for Mugabe to cheat.”

But he too was cautious. “It’s hard for me to believe that Mugabe will go peacefully,” he said. “When autocrats fall, that’s the most dangerous time.”
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 08:41:32 PM »

I hope the MDC wins. I hope... I'm prepared to see a miraculous landslide for Mugabe in Mashonaland though...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 11:01:28 PM »

"There Will Be Blood" is once again relevant. But in this case only for the title.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:21:51 PM »

Hopefully Mugabe's thugs are so disillusioned they refuse to fudge the votes or refuse to crush a revolt.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:50:14 AM »

I really hope that the MDC wins this Election, they won't though sadly. Hard to believe that at one stage Zimbabwe was a prosperous nation and now look at them.

I thought that election monitors in Zimbabwe were going to delay the announcement of results until next week? Obviously not.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 09:08:43 AM »

Saying Zimbabwe was once prosperous is like saying the threat of major international war was once less dangerous. The economy is worse now then it was before, but it was still crummy. It just produced moe agricultural yield, basically.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 09:32:42 AM »

Saying Zimbabwe was once prosperous is like saying the threat of major international war was once less dangerous. The economy is worse now then it was before, but it was still crummy. It just produced moe agricultural yield, basically.

It still had a racist government, to boot.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 04:21:32 PM »

Saying Zimbabwe was once prosperous is like saying the threat of major international war was once less dangerous.

I should have added that it was seen as one of Africa's prosperous nations back in the early 1980's then of course it quickly collapsed.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2008, 04:40:35 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2008, 04:43:18 PM by afleitch »

Saying Zimbabwe was once prosperous is like saying the threat of major international war was once less dangerous.

I should have added that it was seen as one of Africa's prosperous nations back in the early 1980's then of course it quickly collapsed.

I know I'm going to be jumped on for saying this, but those who know me know I'm not saying this because I believe in the whole 'package' - simply this. For all his faults, Ian Smith didn't let the people starve and he didn't turn a breadbasket into a dustbowl. All people have now is their vote and even that's easily dispensable.

My brother worked for DFID in Zimbabwe for about two years and met with petty and middle ranking government officials there. Some of the requests they made you wouldn't believe if I were to repeat them.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 05:36:25 PM »

I'm looking forward to seeing how Mugabe is going to rig this election Tongue
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 08:42:41 PM »

My brother worked for DFID in Zimbabwe for about two years and met with petty and middle ranking government officials there. Some of the requests they made you wouldn't believe if I were to repeat them.

For the sake of adding to my list of absurd things people have said and done, please do tell us what those requests were.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 04:28:35 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2008, 04:31:12 PM by Frodo »

Results are confirmed, at last at the parliamentary level:

Mugabe Loses Parliament in Zimbabwe

By BARRY BEARAK
Published: April 3, 2008

HARARE, Zimbabwe — President Robert G. Mugabe and his ruling party have lost control of the nation’s Parliament, election returns showed on Wednesday, giving new impetus to the bigger question: Does that foretell a loss of the presidency itself, the job he has held tightly for the past 28 years?

As this nation waited in frustration a fourth day without official results in its presidential race, the main opposition party of Morgan Tsvangirai announced its own final tally, proclaiming victory with 50.3 percent of the vote to Mr. Mugabe’s 43.8 percent — just barely enough to avoid a runoff.

Zimbabwe now waits to see if the official count matches the opposition’s, knowing it would not require a very heavy thumb on the scale to force another round of voting three weeks from now.

There were signs that Mr. Mugabe has endorsed a second vote, which, while not as humiliating as an outright defeat, would still seem a difficult pill for a man who has held power for 28 years and considers himself the father of the nation. Wednesday morning’s edition of The Herald, the state-run newspaper, reported that “the pattern of results” shows that no candidates “will garner more than 50 percent of the vote, forcing a re-run.”

The newspaper, considered a mouthpiece for Mr. Mugabe, published no actual election totals from Saturday’s vote and attributed its conclusion to analysts. But it likely means that ruling party insiders have urged the president not to give up his — and their — power, either convincing Mr. Mugabe to keep on fighting or at least to maintain the option.

Even so, the election commission confirmed Wednesday that the balance of power had fatefully shifted in Parliament, long a bastion of support for Mr. Mugabe. With only 11 races to be declared, the Movement for Democratic Change, the opposition party, had 106 seats in all, including one for an allied independent, in the 210-seat assembly. Mr. Mugabe’s party — known as ZANU-PF — had only 93 seats and among its losing candidates were seven of the president’s cabinet ministers.

But the presidency remains another matter. A businessman with close connections to the party hierarchy, speaking only on condition of anonymity, said the president had met Tuesday evening first with the chiefs of military and intelligence and then with key members of his cabinet and the party presidium.

“They urged him to go to the bush,” the businessman said, meaning that in a runoff the party would employ tactics of intimidation and bloodshed that had worked well in earlier campaigns, especially in rural areas that can be closed off to opposition candidates.

President Mugabe was said to hesitate. He is a once-lauded liberator and statesman who became a ruthless autocrat to be forever remembered for murderous campaigns against his enemies and an ill-conceived takeover of white-owned farmland that ended up wrecking the economy. He feels a strong sense of rejection in the election results and a part of him wants to concede, the businessman said. Still, Mr. Mugabe was urged to continue.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 11:58:30 PM »

Well it seems to be getting harder for Mr. Mugabe to conceal the results. Just give it up!!! Tongue
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 02:38:44 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23940431/

And so the Mugabe crackdown begins ....
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 03:23:58 PM »

I knew he wouldn't give up so easily.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 11:56:44 PM »

It's to bad they don't have oil, we might try and "help" them if they did.  I'm not sure which side "them" would be on in this case, we'd hope it would be on the side of the people, but you never can be to sure.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2008, 01:04:38 AM »

It's to bad they don't have oil, we might try and "help" them if they did.  I'm not sure which side "them" would be on in this case, we'd hope it would be on the side of the people, but you never can be to sure.

They do have rich reserves of platinum and other rare metals vital to automotive industries, which is why China provides Mugabe with intelligence equipment and arms in exchange for those.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2008, 01:26:07 AM »

They do have rich reserves of platinum and other rare metals vital to automotive industries, which is why China provides Mugabe with intelligence equipment and arms in exchange for those.
That's right.  We don't have a problem when China sticks their dicks in other nations pies though do we? 

Now if Bush was doing that we'd take to the streets!......or maybe it IS Bush doing it through his allies in China.  No, it was Gore that was buddies with the Chinese.  hmmmmm.  Maybe the CIA?  Jews?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2008, 04:41:37 AM »

Results are expected in an hour according to latest news:

Zimbabwe Election Deadline Approaches

Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe is set to chair a meeting of his party's politburo as the deadline approaches for the Electoral Commission to announce the official election results.

It appears there will be a second-round election between Mr Mugabe and his main challenger, Morgan Tsvangirai.

Mr Tsvangirai's Movement for Democratic Change has already claimed the presidency, saying he has more than the required 50 per cent of the vote.

They have based this on results posted on the doors of individual polling stations.

The Electoral Commission, which has already ceded control of the Lower House of Parliament to the Opposition, has delayed announcing the official result of the presidential race until the end of today (local time), when it is constitutionally required to do so.

Spokesmen for President Mugabe say they believe the result is not clear and that the ZANU-PF's politburo is most likely to decide on a run-off election which could take up to three months to organise.

Robert Mugabe is clearly fighting for his political survival and there are concerns that if the presidential election goes to another round it could lead to the resurgence of the violence and intimidation that has been a characteristic of past elections in Zimbabwe.

In the last few hours, police in riot gear surrounded a hotel in Harare and arrested two foreign journalists for allegedly working illegally.

Earlier, police raided the Opposition's offices in the centre of the city, although party officials were not there at the time.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 08:01:52 AM »

Btw, runoff date is April 19th. There have been "rumours" (circulated by the MDC... although that's sadly not proof that they are simply lies) that it would be postponed by a couple of months by presidential decree to properly organize (ie, rig for Mugabe) it.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2008, 12:47:37 PM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7340476.stm
It seems that independent (if they are really independent) polls are claiming that Tsvangirai didn't reach 50%. On the other hand, it seems ever more obvious that Mugabe will use the time to the runoff to intimidate the population into voting for him. It's doubtful that this kind of meeting will help solve the problem, as Mugabe won't step down as long there is some chance for him.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 10:57:59 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2008, 08:40:38 PM »

Yeah, Jimmy Carter really backed the wrong horse in that one didn't he?  To bad we've all forgotten about that.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 06:23:24 AM »

Yeah, Jimmy Carter really backed the wrong horse in that one didn't he?  To bad we've all forgotten about that.
So you mean it would be better if the civil war continued?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 06:46:34 AM »

If it meant somebody else would win and be less of a screw up, yes, of course.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies