Zimbabwe 2008 Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:12:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Zimbabwe 2008 Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Zimbabwe 2008 Elections  (Read 15053 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2008, 11:28:08 PM »

The final results of the parliamentary race are less MDC than I've expected (I guess, they've done smthg in rural Matabeleland):

MDC-T 99
ZANU-PF 97
MDC 10
Ind 1

In 3 remaining seats they will have to have by-elections due to canidates dying before the vote.

BTW, final independent count agrees, at least, on the seat distribution.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2008, 12:01:05 AM »

So why did they allow the opposition to win? Is it because the military and police have lost the will to keep attacking the MDC, or does Mugabe thinks his time is up, or did they underestimate the amount of rigging they had to do?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2008, 12:03:45 AM »

Results by province (subject to typos):

Bulawayo
MDC-T 11
By-election needed 1

Harare
MDC-T 28
ZANU-PF 1

Mashonaland Central
ZANU-PF 15
MDC-T 2

Mashonaland East
ZANU-PF 19
MDC-T 4

Mashonaland West
ZANU-PF 16
MDC-T 6

Masvingo
MDC-T 14
ZANU-PF 12

Matabeleland North
MDC-T 5
MDC 4
ZANU-PF 3
Ind 1

Matabeleland South
MDC 6
ZANU-PF 4
MDC-T 2
By-election needed 1

Manicaland
MDC-T 21
ZANU-PF 5

Midlands
ZANU-PF 20
MDC-T 7
By-election needed in 1
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2008, 12:06:21 AM »

So why did they allow the opposition to win? Is it because the military and police have lost the will to keep attacking the MDC, or does Mugabe thinks his time is up, or did they underestimate the amount of rigging they had to do?

There is a limit how much you can rig/pressure, etc. Conditional on coming close to that limit it is a lot easier to manufacture a narrow loss than an outright win: the winning opposition is unlikely to object as strenuously. Given te popularity of the opposition in the capital, attempting to declare a ZANU victory might have caused a revolution - and they know it. They still haven't said much on the presidential race, BTW.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2008, 10:03:00 AM »

I think the sheer scale of the defeat and the international pressure made it impossible to rig the ballots like they used to.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:07 AM »

It's sort of sad that they obviously still rigged the vote and yet lost.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2008, 11:28:53 AM »

Yeah, I also think they rigged the vote. Don't everyone hate Mugabe in Matabeleland because he gassed everyone there? It seems like they couldn't cheat the MDC out of their victories in the cities and then couldn't run up sufficient margins elsewhere.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2008, 12:18:11 PM »

Yeah, I also think they rigged the vote. Don't everyone hate Mugabe in Matabeleland because he gassed everyone there? It seems like they couldn't cheat the MDC out of their victories in the cities and then couldn't run up sufficient margins elsewhere.

That's pretty much what happened, IMO.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »

Reports floating around suggesting that Mugabe has told family and close supporters that he will concede.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2008, 02:43:31 PM »

This is the strangest election I've ever witnessed. I've never heard of a dictator trying to rig an election and failing.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2008, 05:27:16 PM »

This is the strangest election I've ever witnessed. I've never heard of a dictator trying to rig an election and failing.

Chavez I believe with his referenda.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »

True, but Chavez has never had such complete power as Mugabe. And Mugabe's rigged elections massively in the past; Chavez may have made slight "adjustments" to some past results, but he's never engaged in the type of massive fraud that gives the ruling party 80% of the vote.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2008, 03:52:42 AM »

True, but Chavez has never had such complete power as Mugabe. And Mugabe's rigged elections massively in the past; Chavez may have made slight "adjustments" to some past results, but he's never engaged in the type of massive fraud that gives the ruling party 80% of the vote.

I think the degree to which Mugabe has had to rig as opposed to say beating the crap out of people and denying them food is not as great as ascribed. Weird stuff definitely happened in the dead of night in 2000(how else to explain the MDC going from 87 to 57 seats in the final results?) but I think Zanu would have won the 2005 elections without messing with the totals because they had already one before then.

It needs to be remembered. Zanu has not won 80% of the vote since people had reason to vote against them(1999). They lost the 2000 referendum 55-45, won the 2000 Parly vote 53-46(with slight rigging and massive intimidation) won the 2002 Presidential race 56-42(again with massive intimidation and likely some rigging) and the 2005 Parlys 59-39.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2008, 07:53:17 AM »

I think the degree to which Mugabe has had to rig as opposed to say beating the crap out of people and denying them food is not as great as ascribed. Weird stuff definitely happened in the dead of night in 2000(how else to explain the MDC going from 87 to 57 seats in the final results?) but I think Zanu would have won the 2005 elections without messing with the totals because they had already one before then.

It needs to be remembered. Zanu has not won 80% of the vote since people had reason to vote against them(1999). They lost the 2000 referendum 55-45, won the 2000 Parly vote 53-46(with slight rigging and massive intimidation) won the 2002 Presidential race 56-42(again with massive intimidation and likely some rigging) and the 2005 Parlys 59-39.

Mugabe has rigged (as in, Belarus-style rigged. Not South American-style corrupted.) one election in his lifetime, and he didn't with this one. Chavez never has.

As to an election with obvious strong parallels to this one, well Toledo vs Fujimori immediately springs to mind.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2008, 11:15:04 AM »

Worth noting that, though MDC won more seats, ZANU-PF actually lead the popular vote (comparing only with MDC's majority faction.) Probably due to ZANU-PF winning by big margins in some seats where MDC didn't dare campaign much, or where the results were blatantly tampered with.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2008, 03:27:51 PM »

Worth noting that, though MDC won more seats, ZANU-PF actually lead the popular vote (comparing only with MDC's majority faction.) Probably due to ZANU-PF winning by big margins in some seats where MDC didn't dare campaign much, or where the results were blatantly tampered with.

Just checked, and this is true even according to MDC's parallel count.

MDC is contesting the results in one constituency. ZANU-PF in 16.

ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2008, 12:38:26 AM »

Still no results...
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2008, 09:18:31 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7333918.stm

We might actually get some results.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2008, 10:36:58 AM »

Which probably means Tsvangirai is really just over 50%... Grin
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2008, 12:48:02 PM »

From an Indian cricket writer writing for the Times of India, recounting his 2003 trip in Zimbabwe at the Cricket World Cup then.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2008, 07:55:18 PM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/04/04/wzim304.xml

You must be logged in to read this quote.

D'oh!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2008, 07:59:30 PM »

I heard he offered to step down in exchange for some retroactive immunity. Maybe the US Senate can give him some retroactive immunity for whatever crimes he may have committed.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2008, 12:35:21 PM »

Rumors (yes, I know a lot have been spreading) that there has been a bloodless military coup.

To be bluntly honest, considering Mugabe's absence and that the African Union says they can't even get in touch with him, it makes sense to me.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2008, 02:12:53 AM »

So... what happened?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2008, 02:18:57 PM »

The Election Commission continues to decline to release results. In other words, Mr Tsvangirai has either won outright, or hasn't by such a ridiculously small margin that no one's going to be convinced he didn't.
ZANU-PF and the Election Commission are really hitting themselves for thinking they didn't need to forge the election results, and now it's probably too late. So they're just trying to sit this out. The African Union is probably trying to broker something, but I can't see what.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies