McCain.......the Hoover effect??
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:07:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  McCain.......the Hoover effect??
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: McCain.......the Hoover effect??  (Read 2883 times)
RRB
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2008, 10:40:34 AM »
« edited: April 27, 2008, 10:19:50 PM by RRB »

-
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:54:29 AM »

I expect in a week or so 60% of the population don't know who Wright is given how short attention spans are.

However, most will be constantly reminded of their coworkers getting laid off, their house price tanking, and food and fuel prices rising.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:21:07 PM »

Yeah, Obama is already recovering in non-rassy polls.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:21:47 AM »

Yes, the economy will definitely be a big issue working against McCain. I don't think he's going to be able to just glide through without offering concrete proposals and without coming under attack for the economic malaise.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 01:33:11 AM »

He is 2000 times better than Bush and I am happy that 2008 will be a choice between a liberal and a seudo liberal. 

What the hell?  McCain is precisely the same as Bush in terms of policy.  How is McCain a pseudo liberal? 

No, McCain is a right-winger like all modern Republicans, but I agree that the economy should damage him between now and November.
politicaltipster
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 04:53:09 AM »

Firstly, the economy is still in reasonably robust shape with unemployment is still relatively low.

Secondly the Dems are divided between those who want bailouts for everyone (Clinton and Obama) and those who don't want any bailouts (Baucus).

Thirdly, McCain's plan (although by no means perfect) is actually quite nuanced and could be spun in a principled way (like his refusal to pander to  homeowners in Florida).

Fourth, hysteria aside, there is no way that there could be a repeat of the Great Depression (or even of the late 80s/early 90s).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 06:41:31 AM »

We're nowhere near the Great Depression. Personally, I trust McCain on the economy a lot mroe than I trust Obama or Clinton. He realizes the value of free trade and balanced budgets and he doesn't pander to special interests the way many American politicians do. Whether he can win the public debate on it is another matter, but it's not a given that the Democrats will carry through on this one.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 09:47:21 AM »

We're nowhere near the Great Depression. Personally, I trust McCain on the economy a lot mroe than I trust Obama or Clinton. He realizes the value of free trade and balanced budgets and he doesn't pander to special interests the way many American politicians do. Whether he can win the public debate on it is another matter, but it's not a given that the Democrats will carry through on this one.

Oh please, McCain is a member of the party which has always created america's budget deficits.  I don't know what 'special interests' you think he is independent of, but the old monster is completely controlled by the military industrial complex.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »

Firstly, the economy is still in reasonably robust shape with unemployment is still relatively low.

Secondly the Dems are divided between those who want bailouts for everyone (Clinton and Obama) and those who don't want any bailouts (Baucus).

Thirdly, McCain's plan (although by no means perfect) is actually quite nuanced and could be spun in a principled way (like his refusal to pander to  homeowners in Florida).

Fourth, hysteria aside, there is no way that there could be a repeat of the Great Depression (or even of the late 80s/early 90s).

What flavor is that kool-aid?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »

What flavor is that kool-aid?
...and it could get quite bad. We are undergoing a restructuring. Other countries are gaining a comparitive advantage on us in high-paying industrists and yet, we can no longer buy these imports because our dollar is so low. If nothing is done soon, we will be a world service-producer, not a world consumer or high-paying manufacturer. This credit crunch is simply taking away our ability to consume and the global economic boom is taking away our ability to manufacture. Yeah. Its a big deal.

And youre wrong. Giuliani was the "hoover" candidate, if you know what I mean. Wink
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 01:15:34 PM »

God bless anyone who takes advice from your blog.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 02:16:10 PM »

If the economy goes into recession and voters become increasingly socio-economically insecure, than it is only just that the candidate (McCain) of the incumbent party (Republican) takes the electoral consequences

Bush is the incumbent Republican president. He's the 'Captain of the Ship', who has set the course, primarily with the backing of his party in Congress, these past seven years

Dave
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 06:26:40 AM »

If the economy goes into recession and voters become increasingly socio-economically insecure, than it is only just that the candidate (McCain) of the incumbent party (Republican) takes the electoral consequences

Bush is the incumbent Republican president. He's the 'Captain of the Ship', who has set the course, primarily with the backing of his party in Congress, these past seven years

Dave

"just" Yeah, I'm sure you'd say that if we had an incumbent Democratic president. So, if the economy is not doing well every member of the party holding the position of chief of state should be voted out, in the name of justice, right? For instance, if Britain would enter a recession every Labour politician in every position would deserve not to be elected? Or are you maybe being hypocritical?
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »

^^ You should check the opinion polls since the Northern Rock fiasco to find your answer.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 02:48:31 PM »

Dave

"just" Yeah, I'm sure you'd say that if we had an incumbent Democratic president. So, if the economy is not doing well every member of the party holding the position of chief of state should be voted out, in the name of justice, right? For instance, if Britain would enter a recession every Labour politician in every position would deserve not to be elected? Or are you maybe being hypocritical?

Not at all, if Labour lose the next general election then they will have deserved to do so. I, myself, right now, am pretty disillusioned with a government that I increasingly perceive as being out of touch, incompetent and limping along a slow painful death to defeat, but I need to see a Conservative government in operation before I can even begin to reappraise them. Politically, my formative years were the 1980s and I don't recall them with fondness

Whether a wider UK recession is on the cards I don't know, but I'd like to think that Labour can stear the UK through with minimal socio-economic trauma

As for America, after eight years of Bush, I'm just firmly of the conviction that it is time for a change of direction. McCain may Smiley or may not Sad deliver that, which is why I'm not hedging

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 03:00:33 PM »

^^ You should check the opinion polls since the Northern Rock fiasco to find your answer.

Now that was a fall-out from the credit crunch, something which, ultimately, originated following a loss of confidence in the US sub-prime mortgage market.

True the rules in place made it worse. It's something which could have been avoided had the Bank of England not been required to release details of Northern Rock requiring their assistance as 'lender of the last resort'. That caused the run on the bank

Dave
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 12:23:25 AM »

Dave

Not at all, if Labour lose the next general election then they will have deserved to do so. I, myself, right now, am pretty disillusioned with a government that I increasingly perceive as being out of touch, incompetent and limping along a slow painful death to defeat, but I need to see a Conservative government in operation before I can even begin to reappraise them. Politically, my formative years were the 1980s and I don't recall them with fondness

Whether a wider UK recession is on the cards I don't know, but I'd like to think that Labour can stear the UK through with minimal socio-economic trauma

As for America, after eight years of Bush, I'm just firmly of the conviction that it is time for a change of direction. McCain may Smiley or may not Sad deliver that, which is why I'm not hedging

Dave

McCain generates as much uncertainity as he does a "comfort zone" for those worried about the war.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies