Pennsylvania Voter Registration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:39:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Pennsylvania Voter Registration
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Pennsylvania Voter Registration  (Read 21309 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:02:08 AM »

As of now there are:

8.231.745 registered voters, of which

4.044.952 are Democrats (49.14%)
3.215.478 are Republicans (39.06%)
971.315 are Ind. or from other parties (11.80%)

Compared with November 2006:

8.182.876 registered voters, of which

3.900.685 are Democrats (47.67%)
3.300.894 are Republicans (40.34%)
981.297 are Ind. or from other parties (11.99%)

Compared with November 2004:

8.366.663 registered voters, of which

3.985.486 are Democrats (47.64%)
3.405.278 are Republicans (40.70%)
975.899 are Ind. or from other parties (11.66%)

Compared with November 2002:

7.835.775 registered voters, of which

3.768.316 are Democrats (48.09%)
3.235.172 are Republicans (41.29%)
832.287 are Ind. or from other parties (10.62%)

Compared with November 2000:

7.781.997 registered voters, of which

3.736.304 are Democrats (48.01%)
3.250.764 are Republicans (41.77%)
794.929 are Ind. or from other parties (10.22%)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 06:14:45 AM »

NC is: Democratic: 45%
           Republican: 34%
           Ind: 21%

Guilford County is: Democratic: 48%
                              Republican: 32%
                              Ind: 20%
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 01:52:35 PM »

Sad

I guess "as of now" is as of the last update a few months ago? It's terrible that we're under 40% and it's only going to get worse because of this primary. 37% maybe?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »

Sad

I guess "as of now" is as of the last update a few months ago? It's terrible that we're under 40% and it's only going to get worse because of this primary. 37% maybe?

as of now = as of yesterday
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:39:46 PM »

Sad

Don't get too excited or depressed about these numbers...I still count towards the GOP% and Reagan democrats generally still count towards the Dems.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:12:23 PM »

Sad

as of now = as of yesterday

Eh, not as bad then, I guess.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 12:08:11 AM »

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-03252008-1508474.html

You should really click the link as the comments section seems to illustrate some of the issues (not all, of course not) that drive county politics (ie view that the dems have ruined philadelphia, Harry Fawkes runs a GOP machine in the county and is satan's emissary etc).

Democrats see big surge

By JENNA PORTNOY
The Intelligencer

Now that Pennsylvania will have a say in the primary, Adam Glenn of Hilltown wants to, too.

“I didn't even know I was registered independent until I got a call from the Obama people telling me the deadline was today,” he said Monday just after joining the Democrats' ranks.

He was part of a steady stream of voters who — whatever their reasons — waited until deadline day to register for the primary or change their party affiliation. Pennsylvania will hold a “closed” primary April 22, which means voters must be registered members of a political party to vote in that party's primary.

In Bucks and Montgomery counties combined, more than 20,000 people have joined the Democratic Party since late last year. While some of those are first-time voters and new registrations, significant numbers of them jumped ship from the GOP or a third party or changed their independent status.

That includes Jenni Murphy, the wife of Democratic Congressman Patrick Murphy, who dropped her long-held Republican affiliation to vote for Obama, according to a release from the Illinois senator's campaign.

Thanks to people like the congressman's wife, both counties have lost about 5,610 Republicans and 1,759 independents.

Lydia Mischenko of Lower Makefield said she's been dissatisfied with the Republican Party for years, but she waited until Monday to make it official.

“I've had enough of Republicans,” she said. Yet she hasn't settled on Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama. “I will see,” she said. “There's so much time to decide.”

So far both counties have netted more than 13,000 voters in the past five months.

“We're going to get our money's worth out of the Board of Elections this week,” quipped Neil Samuels, Bucks Democrats deputy chairman, who happens to support Obama. The Bucks party also has Clinton contingent.

Samuels said he's confident Democrats are gaining due to the quality of their candidates.

“How you register is a matter of conscience and there may be a few folks in there who are mischief makers,” said Samuels, referring to Republicans who may have switched camps to vote for the candidate they believe will be more easily defeated in the fall.

“But I would wager the vast, vast majority are interested in the candidates the Democratic Party is putting forward as opposed to John McCain.”

The Montgomery County GOP is doing its best to reclaim Republicans it may have lost to Obama or Clinton with a Web site proclaiming “Get me back to where I belong!” Republicans across the state can go to votegoppa.com and request a registration form, said party chairman Ken Davis.

Samuels' response? “I've heard about their Web site and I don't think it'll be a busy place.”

From the numbers, Davis said it's clear Republicans masquerading as Democrats will vote for Clinton to stop Obama from facing presumptive nominee McCain.

In Montgomery County, 8,223 voters switched their affiliation to Democrat and 1,052 voters switched affiliation to Republican. Bucks County does not analyze its registration data in that way; the county office only knows how many have registered, not who has switched.

The crush of last-minute electors Monday — fueled by the parties' registration drives and door-to-door efforts by the campaigns — required the county offices to add staff and stay open later than usual.

“People are three and four deep at the counter,” Montgomery County voters services assistant director Patti Allen, said, assessing the situation in Norristown. “The kind of activity in a primary is always a surprise, but we've had a couple of weeks to get used to the idea.”

Bucks County's Elections Director Deena Dean agreed. “We've been working as fast as we can and we have been for weeks now, working nights and working weekends,” Dean said.

The piles of forms won't be tallied for a while, but if the past several months' numbers are any guide, the Democrats are likely to gain thousands of new voters to the detriment of the GOP and independents' totals.

“We encourage (Republicans) to come back,” said Montgomery County GOP leader Davis. “We don't encourage them to switch. They're quite able to do that all by themselves.”

Enter Buckingham's Richard Scott.

“For the first time in my life, I've become a Democrat,” the loyal Republican said with a smile while standing outside the elections office in Doylestown. “And it'll probably only last a month.”

REGISTRATION NUMBERS

BUCKS
Party 1/08 3/08 change
GOP 187,067 185,647 -1,420
DEM 166,365 174,134 +7,769
Other 64,486 63,900 -586
TOTAL 417,918 423,681 +5,763

MONTGOMERY
Party 10/07 3/08 change
GOP 247,766 243,576 -4,190
DEM 217,052 229,706 +12,654
Other 81,750 80,577 -1,173
TOTAL 546,568 553,859 +7,291

BOTH
Both counties have gained about 20,423 Democrats. Both counties have lost about 5,610 Republicans and 1,759 independents. Overall, both counties have gained about 13,054 voters.

"Other" includes third-party and unaffiliated voters.

Source: Bucks and Montgomery counties election offices

Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:40:08 AM »

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/111-03252008-1508474.html

You should really click the link as the comments section seems to illustrate some of the issues (not all, of course not) that drive county politics (ie view that the dems have ruined philadelphia, Harry Fawkes runs a GOP machine in the county and is satan's emissary etc).

Haha!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Uh, I think this is the third time she's switched. She was a life long Republican who said "the Republican party left me" two years ago for her husband, then switched back to be a "Republican for Murphy" and now leaves the party again.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ha...we still have a lead in the Montco registration totals.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 09:44:22 AM »

Yep, but the Bucks margin has dropped from 21k to just 9k if my math is right...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 11:01:04 AM »

Republicans masquerading as Democrats??  Granted some might be and Davis does have to put his best face forward, but is anyone buying that load of crap??  The people who left he GOP to register Dem are not those masqueraing as Democrats who are really Republican that will vote Clinton in the Primaries to cause trouble since they want McCain and want to make things easier.  They are either Republicans who support Obama, or former Republicans who have said enough is enough with the GOP and decided to finally make the change towards the dems.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 05:29:07 PM »

Republicans masquerading as Democrats??  Granted some might be and Davis does have to put his best face forward, but is anyone buying that load of crap??  The people who left he GOP to register Dem are not those masqueraing as Democrats who are really Republican that will vote Clinton in the Primaries to cause trouble since they want McCain and want to make things easier.  They are either Republicans who support Obama, or former Republicans who have said enough is enough with the GOP and decided to finally make the change towards the dems.

Some did switch for strategic purposes, Smash.

Davis had to say what he said but who cares? Thankfully, he won't be seeking re-election as party chair.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 07:49:12 PM »

Yep, but the Bucks margin has dropped from 21k to just 9k if my math is right...

Very interesting.  That means that PA-08 finally has a Dem majority of registered voters since the portions of Philly and Montgomery in the district are very heavily Democratic. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 12:21:50 AM »

PA is a stubborn state. It's been 20 years since it went Republican and I don't think it will happen this year.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2008, 12:31:47 AM »

PA is a stubborn state. It's been 20 years since it went Republican and I don't think it will happen this year.

And it wasn't a GOP lock in 1988 either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 01:55:19 AM »

Very interesting.  That means that PA-08 finally has a Dem majority of registered voters since the portions of Philly and Montgomery in the district are very heavily Democratic. 

I'm about 90% sure that the Montco part is still Republican when it comes to registration and the parts of NE Philly that Murphy has aren't "very heavily" Democratic.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2008, 11:51:23 AM »

I'm about 90% sure that the Montco part is still Republican when it comes to registration and the parts of NE Philly that Murphy has aren't "very heavily" Democratic.

Oh come on, even Ginny Shrader took 55% in the Montco part in 2004.  You may be right about the NE Philly part though. 
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »

Oh come on, even Ginny Shrader took 55% in the Montco part in 2004.  You may be right about the NE Philly part though. 

Those areas were deliberately added to PA 08 because the GOP thought Greenwood could hold them...and thus remove a more democratic section of PA13 and make it "winnable"

I'm sure they looked at past results, but also at registration figures
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2008, 12:20:54 PM »

Those areas were deliberately added to PA 08 because the GOP thought Greenwood could hold them...and thus remove a more democratic section of PA13 and make it "winnable"

That appears to be the case, but it seems kind of pointless as the 2002 redistricting actually raised the Gore % from 54% in the old PA-13 to 56% in the new district.  If they were trying to make it more winnable they would have added Republican parts of Berks or Chester, not Democratic NE Philly. 
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »

That appears to be the case, but it seems kind of pointless as the 2002 redistricting actually raised the Gore % from 54% in the old PA-13 to 56% in the new district.  If they were trying to make it more winnable they would have added Republican parts of Berks or Chester, not Democratic NE Philly. 

Well, IIRC, they removed more parts of montco and NE from PA 13 and put them in PA 08.

As for moving chester and berks...could they?  Where does Gerlach's district cover?
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2008, 03:07:53 PM »

Well, IIRC, they removed more parts of montco and NE from PA 13 and put them in PA 08.

As for moving chester and berks...could they?  Where does Gerlach's district cover?

They would not have been able to make Gerlach's district. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2008, 04:00:54 PM »

Ok, and that still doesn't prove to me that the Dems have a registration advantage there. The Republicans out there are RINOs but still registered Republican.

PA 13 was made the way it was by the GOP State House. NE Philly was added because then Speaker John Perzel was from the area that was added to the district. He thought we could win it and we came close in 2002. The Dems definitley have the voter registration advantage but they do vote Republican for various offices and they aren't your typical SE PA Dems; these folks are Reagan Democrats.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 01:52:14 AM »

The numbers are increasing - From First Read:

MASSIVE FINAL-DAY REGISTRATION IN PA

PHILADELPHIA -- While a final number may not be available for a few weeks, the Pennsylvania Department of State has released an update on the number of people registered to vote in the April 22 Democratic primary here. And it shows a massive registration effort on the final day of eligibility.

The state now has 4,119,213 registered Democrats. Since March 24, the last day of eligibility for the primary election, the state has received 33,281 new Democratic registrations and 45,977 party changes to the Democratic Party. The secretary of state’s office is still accepting new registrations and party switches that were postmarked by the deadline.

State officials said the activity on the final day was intense, and these new numbers likely include large swaths of registrations that were collected by both the Obama and Clinton campaigns and submitted just before the deadline.

Since the first of the year, the state has received 101,499 new Democratic applications and 132,688 switches to the Democratic Party.

By contrast, the Republican Party in Pennsylvania now stands at 3,197,586 people. Only 32,191 citizens have joined the Republican roles and 13,937 have switched to the GOP since January 1.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/03/31/844803.aspx
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 04:14:36 PM »

Sad
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 04:56:11 PM »