Official Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:33:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Official Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 45
Author Topic: Official Pennsylvania Democratic Primary Discussion Thread  (Read 62689 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 22, 2008, 04:29:55 PM »

We're still a month away and things are already starting to really heat up. I can sense it when I'm at school or downtown or even in my own neighborhood, with yard signs starting to pop up.

I created this thread mainly for Pennsylvanians to post what they have seen or heard regarding the campaign insteading of just constantly creating new threads to tell a story.

For example, the Hillary folks were lurking in Obama territory today. I had to drive down to South Philly earlier and noticed a buzz of political activity. Most of it was local stuff (South Philly has some serious primaries especially the Dem battle for the 1st District Senate seat) but I noticed a Hillary crew doing a sign wave. I "honked for Hillary," rolled down my window and told them as I was driving by, "I'd rather have McCain beat her in November." The looks of confusion and groans were priceless.  Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 09:15:53 PM »

In Allegheny County, about 7000 voters have changed their registrations.  About 5K plus went from another/no party to Democrat.  About 1200 went to Republican and the rest to other or independent.   A paultry number considering there's about 1 Million voters, but it was newsworthy apparently so this must be something not seen before.

Oh, and the Hillary people were at the coffee shop this morning registering voters.  They asked me and I told them I'm registered and voting for Obama (not true but the look on their face was priceless)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 09:26:46 PM »

Although I expect Hillary to win Pennsylvania by a comfortable margin, in which cities and counties do you exprect Barack to do well in?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 11:15:25 PM »

Although I expect Hillary to win Pennsylvania by a comfortable margin, in which cities and counties do you exprect Barack to do well in?

He'll do well in all the major cities but not as well as people might think. The counties where we'll do best are in the SE.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 11:19:07 PM »

What about Pittsburg?  Good for Hillary?  What do you expect to happen there?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 11:23:06 PM »

What about Pittsburg?  Good for Hillary?  What do you expect to happen there?

Pittsburgh is an interesting mix. Obama will win the city but the old school, blue collar crowd still runs the machine there and the establishment in the city is very Pro Hillary. She shouldn't get blown out there.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 11:27:51 PM »

Pleased to announce we opened our Berks office on Wednesday, with an attendance of over 300 including the Mayor of Reading, who endorsed Obama. The Hillary camp down the street opened to <25. Ha!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 12:00:35 AM »

As has been said repeatedly, Obama voters have time to attend meaningless political rallies, Hillary voters are usually at work.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 12:03:09 PM »

As has been said repeatedly, Obama voters have time to attend meaningless political rallies, Hillary voters are usually at work.

Yeah, OK.

That explains her hard work in Idaho. When Obama's folks were just bumming around.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 09:07:45 PM »

Yeah, OK.

That explains her hard work in Idaho. When Obama's folks were just bumming around.

I think he's referring to the average people who come to these rallies. Hillary's base is made up of labor voters while Obama can have a bunch of students skip class to faint for him.  Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 09:43:32 PM »

Latino neighborhood, Clinton bumper stickers (PA-1, Juniata Park).  Black neighborhood (PA-2, Germantown, Nicetown), Obama signs.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 12:07:06 AM »

"The Barack Barrage has begun" - Obama ad blitz - http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_stories/20080322_Obama_begins_ad_blitz_in_Philadelphia.html

...and I've been seeing a lot of it, too.

By the way, the deadline to file voter registration for the primary is today, March 24th.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »

Latino neighborhood, Clinton bumper stickers (PA-1, Juniata Park).  Black neighborhood (PA-2, Germantown, Nicetown), Obama signs.

Take a drive down the South Philly and Fishtown. Hillary signs (accompanied by Doc for State Senate and Keller for State Representative) are quite visible.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 12:09:36 AM »

"The Barack Barrage has begun" - Obama ad blitz - http://www.philly.com/inquirer/home_top_stories/20080322_Obama_begins_ad_blitz_in_Philadelphia.html

By the way, the deadline to file voter registration for the primary is today, March 24th.

The envelope needs a postmark by the 24th, it doesn't need to reach the county seat by then.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 12:13:37 AM »

The envelope needs a postmark by the 24th, it doesn't need to reach the county seat by then.

Well, you should have it in by tomorrow to be safe but your information is certainly helpful. Are you sure about that though?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 08:10:32 AM »

Well, you should have it in by tomorrow to be safe but your information is certainly helpful. Are you sure about that though?

Yes, according to the Allegheny County elections manager.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 08:21:16 AM »

"The Barack Barage" is a nice allusion to the first world war as now i think about it there are plenty of similarities, a massive bombardment (Obama's media buy) against a rock solid defensive position (Clinton massive organisational and demographic edge in PA)... wouldnt be surprised if the whole thing panned out the same way again.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 08:24:33 AM »

"The Barack Barage" is a nice allusion to the first world war as now i think about it there are plenty of similarities, a massive bombardment (Obama's media buy) against a rock solid defensive position (Clinton massive organisational and demographic edge in PA)... wouldnt be surprised if the whole thing panned out the same way again.

You mean that when Obama's troops go over the top on the first day they will discover, to their horror, that not only are the Clinton defenses basically undamaged, but that the bombardment hasn't even broken the barbed wire?

Casualities on both sides would be extremely high.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 11:05:41 AM »

You mean that when Obama's troops go over the top on the first day they will discover, to their horror, that not only are the Clinton defenses basically undamaged, but that the bombardment hasn't even broken the barbed wire?

Pretty much... I've been likening writing my dissertation to the battle of the Somme so the analogy apealed to me and i think it fits PA rather nicley, of course there could be various ways of interpreting it, i mean the Obama folks would probably hope that it'd be more like Amiens rather than the Somme or Passchendaele, then again they could face complete disaster and then it'd be more like the second Battle of the Aisne... but perhaps I'm taking this too far Wink
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 04:38:50 PM »

Pretty much... I've been likening writing my dissertation to the battle of the Somme so the analogy apealed to me and i think it fits PA rather nicley, of course there could be various ways of interpreting it, i mean the Obama folks would probably hope that it'd be more like Amiens rather than the Somme or Passchendaele, then again they could face complete disaster and then it'd be more like the second Battle of the Aisne... but perhaps I'm taking this too far Wink

I see this as more of an American Civil War analogy.  Is PA Chancellorsville or Gettysburg?  The first day of Gettysburg?  We won't know until May 6 or 7.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2008, 05:20:04 PM »

At the Walmart on Roosevelt Boulevard, two Obama supporters trying to register folkes, both college students.

Phila Registrar's Office reports 25,000 new registrations/changes, about twice the number as usual for a PA primary.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 01:40:14 PM »

List of big deal endorsements - http://blog.pennlive.com/pennsyltucky/2008/03/obama_announces_his_pennsylvan.html#more

Kate Michelman seems like the most notable.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »

I'm not a big television watcher but I listen to radio.......I've heard Obama ads frequently in Pittsburgh on the radio but no Hillary ones so far.

The gist of the ads is - Obama doesn't take PAC money or cater to special interests/lobbyists etc......no policy type ads

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 03:12:23 PM »

I'm not a big television watcher but I listen to radio.......I've heard Obama ads frequently in Pittsburgh on the radio but no Hillary ones so far.

The gist of the ads is - Obama doesn't take PAC money or cater to special interests/lobbyists etc......no policy type ads

That's basically Philadelphia as well; they've been mostly TV ads. 

I heard one radio ad regarding voter registration.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 04:09:37 PM »

Not surprising; he wins over Republicans mostly on clean government, not on other policy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 45  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies