What the hell is so inspiring about Obama anyway?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 12:34:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  What the hell is so inspiring about Obama anyway?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What the hell is so inspiring about Obama anyway?  (Read 4504 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »

He makes me excited about politics again. Hes someone interesting and far more inspiring than John Kerry ever was back in 2004. Is it really that bad to be enthusiastic about a presidential candidate?

Only when it's a Democrat.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 12:39:54 PM »

Like many people say, Obama is like another JFK. I would guess it's because he's got this large amount of charisma and has a way to make his words inspiring. And he also makes these vague promises of change to people that were pretty much disgusted with their choice of political leaders. And since younger people have more of a tendency to not see pragmatic reality, it only makes sense that they'd be inclined to vote for him(I'm not one of those young people, I'm probably the biggest cynic you'll ever know)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 01:18:59 PM »

Like many people say, Obama is like another JFK. I would guess it's because he's got this large amount of charisma and has a way to make his words inspiring. And he also makes these vague promises of change to people that were pretty much disgusted with their choice of political leaders. And since younger people have more of a tendency to not see pragmatic reality, it only makes sense that they'd be inclined to vote for him(I'm not one of those young people, I'm probably the biggest cynic you'll ever know)

What, he cheats on his wife a lot? (joke)

He's got a good speech writer and can play to the public mood. So can a lot of dictators. The point is invalid.

JFK wasn't even that good.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 01:21:36 PM »

What, he cheats on his wife a lot? (joke)

He's got a good speech writer and can play to the public mood. So can a lot of dictators. The point is invalid.

JFK wasn't even that good.

Thats not a fair comparison. I got chewed out by some 40 year old dude who warned me Obama touts Change like Hitler did for Germany back in the 30s. I know change is a scary thought [i guess...] but good lord...Obama=Hitler? c'mon...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 01:24:31 PM »

Haha, if Hitler were a Jew, perhaps.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 01:29:29 PM »

I was trying not to say Hitler (Godwin's Law), but Hitler certainly used his charisma to his advantage.

I am not suggesting in the slightest that Obama is Hitler. It's just saying that good speeches don't equal good leaders.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 01:35:06 PM »

Well, I'd say for one thing that he says the things that need to be said.  Example:

A close friend is caught making some outlandish remarks about America, many are offended...

What would that status quo politican do?  Well, do what he/she is supposed to do, cut all ties and bash the individual.

What did Barack Obama do?  Sincerely disagreed and condemned the statements... yet refused to turn his back on a dear friend.  That shows character, that shows class, and it shows me that he is the kind of extraordinary individual who deserves a chance to lead a great nation that is slowly but surely falling from grace.

This, however, is just one current relevant example

"We have not run out of good ideas, Washington has become a place where good ideas go to die" - How true this is

- not taking the arrogant, impractical position of shunning any and all that oppose what we do and vowing to take a diplomatic approach to foreign policy

- giving us a feasible plan of universal healthcare that works for everyone

- having the foresight to know Iraq was a terrible idea in the first place

- having the integrity to say what needs to be said, despite whether or not it is a politically good move

.... and most of all, I can't wait for the day when he is sworn in and people of all races and ethnicities stand and cheer as one because finally we have a leader that might actually be able to (start) bringing about the change in attitude and policy that this country so desperately needs. 
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 01:39:05 PM »

I'm still not convinced. His campaign still distorts facts (check out Factcheck.org), I don't know if he ever raised the issue of the comments with the preacher before it became wide public knowledge and he only got into the Senate by virtue of a good speech and the GOP in Illinois self-destructing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 03:50:32 PM »

I'm still not convinced. His campaign still distorts facts (check out Factcheck.org), I don't know if he ever raised the issue of the comments with the preacher before it became wide public knowledge and he only got into the Senate by virtue of a good speech and the GOP in Illinois self-destructing.

Sheesh, man, look at the other two lying scumbags we have to choose from - and one of them is from the fascist party.  Of course we get excited about Obama.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2008, 01:05:25 AM »

He isn't Blair Hull.  Or Alan Keyes.  Or Hillary Clinton.

That's all.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »

So, he's the best of a bad bunch. That makes you excited?
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2008, 10:32:23 AM »

So, he's the best of a bad bunch. That makes you excited?

If you got the bad bunch...why not take the best?

and hes more inspiring than McCain will ever be....though its not hard since hes about as inspiring as a bag of rocks.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2008, 10:43:35 AM »

and hes more inspiring than McCain will ever be....though its not hard since hes about as inspiring as a bag of rocks.

The fact that you are not inspired by a great man and honorable Senator who spent six years in a POW camp after being captured serving our country is truly sad.
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2008, 11:02:03 AM »

Obama is building a new religion.  If you have not become a follower by now you are either a racist or simply getting in the way of the  new order which will make the masses enjoy a better life.  Obama knows what is best for all of us.  Amazing that some of you are blind to this.

Change...Hope.....Change....Hope

Yes we can!!
Trilobyte

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 11:13:56 AM »

Inspiring? More like phony. If you want a president that makes you believe in cliches like "Yes we can", just vote for one of those motivational self-help speakers you see on TV. What evidence is there that he can deliver a "new" kind of politics? None whatsoever.

People talk about Hillary's "ambition". But when Obama began running for president right after being elected to his first senate term, I see ambition as well as arrogance.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2008, 11:16:41 AM »

If I have a bunch of bad apples, I just don't buy any apples.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2008, 11:40:41 AM »

The fact that you are not inspired by a great man and honorable Senator who spent six years in a POW camp after being captured serving our country is truly sad.

Admit it Don, you wouldn't give two sh**ts about his life story if it weren't for the (R) next to his name.  You could at least be honest.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2008, 04:19:21 PM »

I've endorsed Barack Obama and I've never been one to bestow endorsements willy-nilly. Never has an endorsement been so half-hearted as mine was for John Kerry in 2004 and that was essentially because he wasn't George W Bush

I, originally, had endorsed Hillary Clinton but was forced to withdraw it three days before the South Carolina Democratic primary - and you can essentially blame Bill but I didn't endorse Obama straight away. It was a matter that required much thought but having, ultimately, decided to endorse him I've no regrets

Come November, I will be endorsing the Democratic presidential nominee either with much enthusiasm or a nose-peg. Endorsing John McCain is, frankly, out of the question. Bush has been that abysmal and the sooner CLOSURE is brought down on that most wretched of men, the better Smiley and I've little confidence in McCain relative to either Obama or Clinton, who, unlike McCain, are not conservative Republicans

McCain's shifting position on the Bush tax cuts; not to mention his ever shifting rationale for his opposing them has convinced me he just likes to have his bread buttered on both sides. Of course, he is simply pandering to his party's conservative base, which is, in itself, understandable. But 'Strait Talk Express'? That's a laugh!

This, essentially, sums up my endorsement of Barack Obama:

The President of the United States and Leader of the Free World should command respect, not ridicule and contempt. The goodwill that was extended to America in the wake of 9/11 has all but dissipated. Bush could have provided EFFECTIVE global leadership on a range of issues but no. It had to be his way or the high way. The man is so stubborn that he just doesn't listen. Hell, he's never made a mistake. He has weakened America, not strengthened it

The one thing that resonates with me about Obama is that when he talks 'change', he candidly says that it isn't going to be easy and that mistakes will be made along the way. Such humility will put him in very good stead Smiley

If Obama wins the Democratic nomination and is elected president, America's standing in the world WILL rise once more. It's not about being loved or feared, it's about RESPECT. You mark my words Smiley. Because I can bet my last pound that he'll be working his ass off making progress towards a new era of peace and prosperity from day one

But given the mess President Obama is sure to inherit from that grossly incompetent Republican incumbent, I'm playing a low expectations game

Whether a President Obama will, ultimately, leave me feeling disappointed, I don't know, but I won't be cutting him a any slack in that if he needs a kick up the arse, he is jolly well going to get it

I cannot be any fairer than that Smiley

Dave
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2008, 04:33:26 PM »

Inspiring? More like phony. If you want a president that makes you believe in cliches like "Yes we can", just vote for one of those motivational self-help speakers you see on TV. What evidence is there that he can deliver a "new" kind of politics? None whatsoever.

People talk about Hillary's "ambition". But when Obama began running for president right after being elected to his first senate term, I see ambition as well as arrogance.

Yet in Obama, I see unassuming modesty Smiley. In Clinton, however, I sense a sense of entitlement as though the Democratic Party's presidential nomination is hers as of right. Now that is something I find immensely unattractive. Throughout this campaign, Obama has conducted himself with utmost dignity (one or two of his advisers have not) while Clinton has had to resort to tears, sarcasm and belittling Obama

The involvement of Bill Clinton too has irked me he has been intensely involved in his wife's campaign. He, if anything, as a former president, should have kept right out of it waiting until after the Democratic National Convention to come out swinging with gusto for his party's eventual nominee, no matter who wins

Dave
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2008, 04:36:52 PM »

I like Obama for many of the same reasons I like David Cameron. I dislike Clinton for many of the same reasons I dislike Gordon Brown.

I only realised that yesterday.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2008, 04:39:33 PM »

Yet in Obama, I see unassuming modesty Smiley. In Clinton, however, I sense a sense of entitlement as though the Democratic Party's presidential nomination is hers as of right.

Look at the history on tradesports, Dem Hawk. She was considered the frontrunner for the 2008 nomination as soon as John Kerry lost. She never had a 'sense of entitlement' but she did have a correct sense that she had a very good shot at the nomination, better than anyone else. And so did 80% of the people on this board late last year. That's not a 'sense of entitlement', thats just being true to the facts. As Addison DeWitt says in All About Eve, "We all come into the world equipped with our little egos and horns. Not blowing your horn is just as false as blowing it too loudly."

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, it shows she's human, at least. As far as humor goes to jab at their opponent, both candidates have used it, not just Hillary. If she had not had those things, people would be saying she's a robot who is completely distant and unknowable.

Well I think it was the way he became involved as much as his involvement at all... but except for a very, very brief few days before South Carolina, his role has been greatly exaggerated.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2008, 04:50:04 PM »

I disagree a bit about his being in the Senate because of the Illinois GOP "self-destructing."  Obama was leading against Ryan even before the "scandal" broke.

Obama is a great speaker, and a truly inspirational speaker.  In terms of his background, it's interesting, but not inspirational; he grew up partly in a foreign county, but not in deprived conditions.  His father had an Ivy League education and his mother a doctorate.  Clinton has had to deal with more "adversity," but only on a personal level (and I do mean Bill).
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2008, 04:54:30 PM »

Obama's speeches are filled with subliminal messages urging you to think he is inspirational. If you take the first and fourth letters from every third word of every speech he's made on the campaign trail, you will find that they spell: B-A-R-A-C-K-O-B-A-M-A-I-S-T-H-E-M-E-S-S-I-A-H. Tongue
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2008, 04:58:07 PM »

Why do I see similarities with Jimmy Carter here? Obama may well bring in peace and prosperity, but I will hold judgement on that until I see him in office.

I don't deny that George W. Bush hasn't been a very good President- I've disagreed with more policies than I've agreed with. "Most wretched of men"- a tad too far, there have been far worse leaders, even in the USA. "Worst President ever"- not quite accurate. "Poor President"- yes.

I don't want Clinton as nominee at all. I will probably endorse Obama, should he become the nominee.  Just don't expect me to do as the current guy once did and wave pom-poms.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2008, 05:06:03 PM »

Yet in Obama, I see unassuming modesty Smiley. In Clinton, however, I sense a sense of entitlement as though the Democratic Party's presidential nomination is hers as of right.

Look at the history on tradesports, Dem Hawk. She was considered the frontrunner for the 2008 nomination as soon as John Kerry lost. She never had a 'sense of entitlement' but she did have a correct sense that she had a very good shot at the nomination, better than anyone else. And so did 80% of the people on this board late last year. That's not a 'sense of entitlement', thats just being true to the facts. As Addison DeWitt says in All About Eve, "We all come into the world equipped with our little egos and horns. Not blowing your horn is just as false as blowing it too loudly."

Well, it shows she's human, at least. As far as humor goes to jab at their opponent, both candidates have used it, not just Hillary. If she had not had those things, people would be saying she's a robot who is completely distant and unknowable.

Well I think it was the way he became involved as much as his involvement at all... but except for a very, very brief few days before South Carolina, his role has been greatly exaggerated.

Nevertheless, I've developed a pretty grim opinion of the Clinton's. It pains me to say that and God knows I wish in my heart I felt otherwise. In time, I dare say I can but, right now, it's darn near impossible Sad. That time will once Obama or Clinton wins the nomination fair and square

In McCain, the Republicans are running the best they possibly could be running in 2008; while things on the Democratic are yet to be settled. It's frustrating Sad

Dave
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies