your top 3 choices for hillary's running mate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 09:11:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  your top 3 choices for hillary's running mate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: your top 3 choices for hillary's running mate?  (Read 3125 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 21, 2008, 07:10:49 PM »

1. strickland
2. manchin
3. ritter
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 07:13:29 PM »

All of those are horrible people, so I wouldn't mind their political careers being tainted by a landslide loss to John McCain.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 07:14:09 PM »

1. The Easter Bunny
2. Santa Claus
3. The Tooth Fairy

Normally the top two would be flipped but in honor of Easter I'll give the Bunny the nod.

On a side note, it's very amusing how Walter has fallen in love with the "silly populists" he used to condemn so much.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 07:56:25 PM »

Senator Evan Bayh, Indiana, former Governor, however, this would leave the Indiana Senate seat open for appointment by the Republican Governor should the ticket win.

Former Senator Bob Kerrey, Nebraska, could help in midwestern swing states such as Iowa and Missouri.

Governor Tim Kaine, Virginia, could put Virginia into play.  He supports Obama, so this move could go a long way in uniting the party after a bitter primary battle.

Another one I'll throw in, reformist minded Governor Mike Easley of North Carolina.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 07:58:32 PM »

Former Senator Bob Kerrey, Nebraska, could help in midwestern swing states such as Iowa and Missouri.

Yes, I'm so sure that people in Iowa and Missouri would just flip for a chance to vote for a ticket that includes a guy at the bottom who was senator of Nebraska almost a decade ago. And of course most people in those states know who he is and those that do really care about a him a great deal.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 08:01:24 PM »

1. Bill Clinton
2. Tammy Baldwin
3. Maxine Waters
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 08:27:46 PM »

Yes, I'm so sure that people in Iowa and Missouri would just flip for a chance to vote for a ticket that includes a guy at the bottom who was senator of Nebraska almost a decade ago. And of course most people in those states know who he is and those that do really care about a him a great deal.

There's a critic in every crowd.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 08:33:35 PM »

Walter, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to be Hillary's Vice President.

Bill will have his nose stuck into the affairs of state so much, effectively side lining the Vice President, and rendering him useless.

The Vice Presidency will return to the days of old, when the Vice President was simply fulfilling the constitutional requirement, and doing little else than presiding over the Senate.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 08:48:50 PM »

I making these predictions, in this order...

1.   Wes Clark  (Long-time Arkansas friend, matches McCain's military resume and can be used as a powerful contrast with McCain-Bush.  Clark ran a war and occupation where there were no U.S. casualties.)

2.   Ted Strickland  (Mainly because of Ohio.  But his status as a Methodist pastor could also be common ground with Clinton.  The baseless rantings of the right notwithstanding, Hillary is a devout United Methodist.  Not a Wiccan or a Satanist.  <g>)

3.  Mike Easley  (Not so much because of North Carolina, which Clinton will lose no matter what.  But because he's moderate to conservative and he campaigns well.)

4.   Someone from Florida.  Look, you know the VP nominee rarely swings a state and I know it.  That doesn't reduce the temptation to pick someone for that reason OR the pressure to do so from certain sectors.  But who in Florida?  Bob Graham is not in the best of health, has been out of office awhile and is older.  But if he were tapped, Crist would not get to select his replacement...as would be the case with Bill Nelson.  Of course, Nelson has that astronaut thing going for him.  I'd suggest Bob Wexler.

But honestly? If I had a hundred bucks to bet, I'd put 90 on Clark and 10 on Strickland.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 09:48:58 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

An absolutely inspired choice!  Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 10:55:59 AM »

Sen. Jim Webb of Virginia
Gov. Mike Easley of North Carolina
Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2008, 11:03:36 AM »

if hillary slected jim webb, id vomit right on the floor.

he is an awful, awful, awful, awful man.  there arent enough 'awfuls' in the world to do him justice.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2008, 11:05:54 AM »

she'd have to pick Obama and he'd have to accept in order for her to have any chance of beating McCain at all.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2008, 11:07:41 AM »

she'd have to pick Obama and he'd have to accept in order for her to have any chance of beating McCain at all.

know anymore funny jokes?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 11:09:57 AM »

know anymore funny jokes?

any scenario that gives Hillary the nomination at this point is exceedingly bloody and would leave the tens of millions of Obama supporters feeling like they were robbed.  unless he is on the ticket, a great enough portion of those people would either stay home or vote third party to end any realistic chance of Hillary winning the presidency.

now, I don't think she'd offer it because she hates him.  and Obama wouldn't accept because he'd start gunning for 2012 immediately.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 11:16:05 AM »

he is an awful, awful, awful, awful man.  there arent enough 'awfuls' in the world to do him justice.

What do you have against Jim Webb?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 11:22:58 AM »

1. he is completely mentally unstable
2.  he is a republican who is playing 'democrat' and 'anti war'  and all of the little daily kos pinkos buy into it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2008, 11:24:18 AM »

2.  he is a republican who is playing 'democrat' and 'anti war'  and all of the little daily kos pinkos buy into it.

1.  How is he mentally unstable?
2.  He is not "playing democrat" and "playing anti-war."  He actually believes in those things.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2008, 11:33:55 AM »
« Edited: March 22, 2008, 11:37:44 AM by Frodo »

Bill Clinton.   Tongue

Seriously, she doesn't need anyone else, nor would anyone actually want to be her running-mate, given that she already has one ready-made in her husband. 

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »

2.  He is not "playing democrat" and "playing anti-war."  He actually believes in those things.

saying he wanted to punch bush in the face was a pretty unstable thing to say.  at the very least, a very unprofessional and disrespectful thing to say.

oh he isnt playing 'democrat'.  why the hell did he serve in the reagan administration?  why did he publicly endorse george allen in 2000?  six years later...he is mr. pinko!

the thing i dislike about him is that he is a sacrificial lamb that accidently won.  who the hell really believes webb won on his merits?  he won because of macaca and other missteps by allen.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »

saying he wanted to punch bush in the face was a pretty unstable thing to say.  at the very least, a very unprofessional and disrespectful thing to say.

oh he isnt playing 'democrat'.  why the hell did he serve in the reagan administration?  why did he publicly endorse george allen in 2000?  six years later...he is mr. pinko!

the thing i dislike about him is that he is a sacrificial lamb that accidently won.  who the hell really believes webb won on his merits?  he won because of macaca and other missteps by allen.

He endorsed George Allen six years ago, and changed his party?  How is that any different than what Jim Jeffords did?  He switched parties; he changed his views.  Besides, what does it matter that he served in the Reagan Presidency?  Does that mean you can't be a Democrat, if you work for a Republican?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2008, 11:53:06 AM »

im no fan of jim jeffords either.

and yes you can work for a president of another party.  after all im an independent minded republican and i support hillary.    but how can a democrat work for ronald reagan,..of all people?

regardless of how you all feel about webb, he wont be picked.  he is too much of a loose cannon.  tim kaine would be the best virginian to take (since the mark warner option is off the table)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2008, 11:58:21 AM »

im no fan of jim jeffords either.

and yes you can work for a president of another party.  after all im an independent minded republican and i support hillary.    but how can a democrat work for ronald reagan,..of all people?

regardless of how you all feel about webb, he wont be picked.  he is too much of a loose cannon.  tim kaine would be the best virginian to take (since the mark warner option is off the table)

I agree with you about Kaine, but not on the rest of that post.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 12:18:24 PM »

Jeffords was a Democratic-voting independent, I believe.

As to who Hillary will pick, it probably won't be someone who is regarded as a strong Obama supporter since they might not want the job. So my best guesses would be Mike Easley or maybe Ted Strickland. But she might be more likely to pick someone who's a Western governor like Bill Ritter. Problem is, he's a bit inexperienced. I think he was attorney general before becoming governor. I'd almost say Bill Richardson except for that recent endorsement and the fact that Hillary already enjoys support among Hispanics
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2008, 01:04:45 PM »

I have to agree with Walter about Jim Webb.

He fell into the Virginia Senate seat due to Allen's missteps.

He is not a particularly likeable individual, and he is definitely a loose cannon.

Webb would be a very poor choice for either Clinton or Obama.

I am confident that neither of them will make that horrendous mistake.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies