your top 3 choices for obama's running mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:45:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  your top 3 choices for obama's running mate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: your top 3 choices for obama's running mate  (Read 6889 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »

1. Gov. Tim Kaine (VA)

2. Gov. Kathleen Sebelius (KS)

3. Frmr Rep. Harold Ford, Jr. (TN)

I don't think Ford would be a good choice for Obama.  I can't see having two black people on the same ticket as working out.  He wouldn't be a terrible choice for Hillary, though.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2008, 11:33:42 AM »

He really needs to pick Hillary. She's well-known, has an attack-dog personality, and will help unify the party, which is particularly important in swing Rust Belt states.

Never gonna happen.  Hillary would never accept such a proposal and Pelosi has already squashed the "dream ticket" multiply times anyways.

Once the nomination is officially not hers, Hillary will jump at the chance to be veep. It's a heck of a lot closer to the presidency than staying in the Senate. Pelosi's opinion is irrelavent. Since when does the Speaker choose who the vp is?

Really? you think that after playing second fiddle to Bill for 8 years she'll want to do the same thing for another guy she's not even married to?  Plus with all the bitterness between the campaigns I can't see how they'll be able to reconcile enough to share the ticket.

As for Pelosi, Dean announced way back in July that he would be nominating her as Permanent Chair of the Democratic Convention, but I'm sure her opinion will matter very little. 
Roll Eyes
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2008, 06:46:47 PM »

He really needs to pick Hillary. She's well-known, has an attack-dog personality, and will help unify the party, which is particularly important in swing Rust Belt states.

Never gonna happen.  Hillary would never accept such a proposal and Pelosi has already squashed the "dream ticket" multiply times anyways.

Once the nomination is officially not hers, Hillary will jump at the chance to be veep. It's a heck of a lot closer to the presidency than staying in the Senate. Pelosi's opinion is irrelavent. Since when does the Speaker choose who the vp is?

Really? you think that after playing second fiddle to Bill for 8 years she'll want to do the same thing for another guy she's not even married to?  Plus with all the bitterness between the campaigns I can't see how they'll be able to reconcile enough to share the ticket.

As for Pelosi, Dean announced way back in July that he would be nominating her as Permanent Chair of the Democratic Convention, but I'm sure her opinion will matter very little. 
Roll Eyes

Again, Hillary will prefer to be veep over Senator. Many Vice-Presidents go on to become President (a far higher percent than Senators) and it will keep her in the limelight. Any decision regarding a running mate is ultimately Obama's to make. Pelosi is certainly an important figure in the party, but it's not her decision.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2008, 06:54:35 PM »

Again, Hillary will prefer to be veep over Senator. Many Vice-Presidents go on to become President (a far higher percent than Senators) and it will keep her in the limelight. Any decision regarding a running mate is ultimately Obama's to make. Pelosi is certainly an important figure in the party, but it's not her decision.

If Clinton somehow did end up as Obama's running mate, she'd better work as hard as she can behind the scenes to make sure their own ticket loses in November.  Otherwise, she's going to have to wait until she's 68 before she can run for the top job herself again.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2008, 07:05:57 PM »

If Clinton somehow did end up as Obama's running mate, she'd better work as hard as she can behind the scenes to make sure their own ticket loses in November.  Otherwise, she's going to have to wait until she's 68 before she can run for the top job herself again.

68 isn't all that old to be president, especially considering how many aging baby boomers there are. Yeah, I'm sure she'd much rather be a failed vp nominee and four years younger than an incumbent vice president Roll Eyes
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2008, 07:11:37 PM »

I think that she'd probably prefer to be Senate majority/minority leader rather than be Vice President.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2008, 07:21:16 PM »

68 isn't all that old to be president, especially considering how many aging baby boomers there are. Yeah, I'm sure she'd much rather be a failed vp nominee and four years younger than an incumbent vice president Roll Eyes

No need for your attitude.

Besides, your point is moot as there no chance of Hillary being on the bottom half of anybody's ticket.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2008, 11:57:05 PM »

Roll Eyes

Key phrase right there.  Obama will never pick Hillary regardless of how badly she wants it (which she doesn't in the slightest).
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2008, 06:26:08 AM »
« Edited: March 23, 2008, 06:33:20 AM by Politico »

Nobody can trust Hillary, not even Bill (And vice versa).

Obama cannot trust Hillary, let alone trust her as his running mate. She's already comparing him unfavorably to McCain, for crying out loud. She would surely do and say anything to cost Obama the election, ensuring he is out of the way four years from now.

Obama's best bet is to reach out to Al Gore and see if he wants to be VP again, perhaps with the offer of increased power-sharing on issues involving the environment and technology. Gore would lessen the impact of charges against Obama of "inexperience" much like LBJ did for JFK. And if anything happens to Obama, everybody knows Gore is ready to lead. Gore may be very interested in the idea of playing a lead role in the Democratic Party of the post-Clinton era, no longer having to share the second spot with Hillary and no longer being forced to put up with Bill's "Triangulation." To top it off, in 2016 he would still be younger than Reagan was when he became president. All things considered, I think there is a very real possibility of Gore accepting the nod if Obama simply makes the offer.

Should Gore not be interested in running with Obama, Evan Bayh has the kind of experience and persona you look for in the stereotypical running mate. That said, Obama has been very bold and it would be hard to make a more bold selection than Jim Webb, who compares favorably to McCain on issues involving the military and most especially Iraq. Webb would be a perfect Agnew-like attack dog for Obama, and help Obama's appeal in the upper South.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2008, 03:20:24 PM »

Barack would walk barefoot over red hot coals on national television before he would pick Hillary for Vice President. 

Webb is abrasive and is a loose cannon and Barack would be well advised to stay as far away from him as possible as regards the Vice Presidency.

Gore is making too much money on the Inconvenient Truth circuit to want to spend yet four more years in the thankless anonymity of the Vice Presidency.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2008, 03:34:13 PM »

Whenever someone brings up Gore, it drives me nuts. Gore Is. Not. Running, neither will he consent to being a compromise candidate or VP nominee. He's made it clear a number of times that he views his work with climate change as being more important.
tulip
Rookie

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2008, 05:36:40 PM »

Jim Webb
Jim Webb
Jim Webb

Smiley
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2008, 05:48:48 PM »

He would need someone with executive experience most likely a governor.
He also needs to show he supports women voters and he probably won't choose a minority because many Americans would shriek in fear at the thought of it (sad but true...)
He also should pick someone from outside the Midwest although Ohio would be okay.
That leaves (fitting at least two of the above requirements):
-Janet Napolitano
-Kathleen Sebelius
-Mike Easley
-Ted Strickland
-Ted Kulongoski
-Phil Bredesen
-Bill Richardson
-Max Baucus
-Chris Dodd
-Joe Biden
-Byron Dorgan
-Patty Murray
-Jack Reed

These are just senators and governors. I didn't choose any Jews because I felt that people are having enough difficulty with Obama's Christianity right now. What do you think about these names? Some are often talked about, but many are not.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2008, 06:43:08 PM »

After the Richardson endorsement:

1. Bill Richardson
2. Jim Webb
3. Richard Gephardt
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »

He also needs to show he supports women voters and he probably won't choose a minority because many Americans would shriek in fear at the thought of it (sad but true...)
He also should pick someone from outside the Midwest although Ohio would be okay.
-Janet Napolitano
-Kathleen Sebelius
-Mike Easley
-Ted Strickland
-Ted Kulongoski
-Phil Bredesen
-Bill Richardson
-Max Baucus
-Chris Dodd
-Joe Biden
-Byron Dorgan
-Patty Murray
-Jack Reed

These are just senators and governors. I didn't choose any Jews because I felt that people are having enough difficulty with Obama's Christianity right now. What do you think about these names? Some are often talked about, but many are not.

Richardson is hispanic, so he is out.  A black and a hispanic will not work.

You have some interesting names, but some are total lightweights, Napolitano, Kulongoski, Baucus, Dorgan, Murray, so they are out.

The ramaining are worthy of further consideration, although Biden is from too far in the past to fit Obama's message of change.  The best ones from your list are Easley and Strickland, in particular Easley, IMHO.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »

1. feingold
2. sebelius
3. edwards
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley
ChrisFromNJ

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -8.61

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2008, 04:25:06 PM »

Why not?
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »

Why not?

Cause they are both minorities percieved in america as the ultimate causes of crime and murder and criminal acts within the nation. Why would anyone want them at the head of the Government?
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2008, 05:31:56 PM »

Kulongoski, don't make me laugh and puke at the same time. He's a total hack. The last poll I can find from late 2006 has his approval rating in the high 40s!  Sorry, I know you were just throwing that name out!

As for the rest, I can't say I'm particularly impressed with Murray. I like Max Baucus and there are worst out there han Janet Napolitano.  Bredesen is gov of Tennessee but his numebrs are a bit low. I think Mike Easley would be a better choice. He's a lot more popular than Bredesen. However, I still think Sebelius might have a better ablity to bridge the gap when it comes to those tricky plainsstates.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »

Gephardt
Strickland
Sebelius

Richardson would be fine too
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2008, 07:57:03 PM »

Mike Easley
Mike Easley
Mike Easley.
NDN
Uganda

« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2008, 08:02:30 PM »

Someone like Mike Easley. America is barely ready if at all for a black president, let alone a two minority ticket. And we can't have two liberals (real or perceived) on the ticket.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »

Why not?

Because the whole point of an election is to win it, not lose.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2008, 08:17:28 PM »

Why not?

Because the whole point of an election is to win it, not lose.

A lot of whites think Richardson is white, so I don't know whether that really matters.  But all I can see Richardson doing is securing New Mexico. 

The reason why you don't pick Richardson is b/c of the skeletons in the closet.  But it's quite likely that Obama's bribe to Richardson was VP (bribes are the only way I know of to get him to do anything - Carville is right in an odd way there), so that won't matter for the time being.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies