Obama's "church"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:07:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Obama's "church"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Obama's "church"  (Read 8353 times)
Smash255
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2008, 02:09:32 PM »

The comparison is a bit silly.  These comments were a very small portion of what Pastor Wright has said, and has nothing to do with the overall message of the church.  The Westboro Baptst Church is all about hate, it isn't a small portion of what the leader believes in, its a very large portion of what he believes in, what he preachees and the message.
same thing with the KKK & PETA anaolgies. 

Yet while it might be a small portion, this is all the people will see, which is why I chose the examples that I did, and that is why I'm trying to get a point across.  It's one thing to say you disagree with what the Minister says during his sermon, but the fact that he remains a member for 12 years where these comments continue to arise creates doubts in the minds of those who pay attention that Obama is being sincere.  If he had such a problem with the comments in the sermons that he feels he needs to distance himself with the Minister, why didn't he switch congregations years ago?  For many evangelicals and/or Southern blacks who could consider voting for him, this will be a distinct issue that he needs to explain in order to regain their trust.  Otherwise, he can be consider as the same old kind of politician who will say anything to get elected . . . the same kind of politics that Obama is campaigning against.

Again the reason why he didn't distance himself from the Congregation is because it makes up a very minute portion of what Pastor Wright has had to say.  If this was anything other than a small portion of the Church, Pastor Wright or his views than you might have an argument, but the fact of the matter is, it was only a very small portion of views expressed by Wright and really had nothing to do with the overall emssage of the church.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2008, 02:15:18 PM »

Again the reason why he didn't distance himself from the Congregation is because it makes up a very minute portion of what Pastor Wright has had to say.  If this was anything other than a small portion of the Church, Pastor Wright or his views than you might have an argument, but the fact of the matter is, it was only a very small portion of views expressed by Wright and really had nothing to do with the overall emssage of the church.

I understand your point, but since we really don't know what all his sermons are like, we have to look at this as the general public who are not political geeks like us.  Call it free campaign advice to Obama and his staff to start working on before this gets bigger as more video clips and quotes are released.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2008, 02:20:44 PM »

I understand your point, but since we really don't know what all his sermons are like, we have to look at this as the general public who are not political geeks like us.  Call it free campaign advice to Obama and his staff to start working on before this gets bigger as more video clips and quotes are released.

As I said about oprah though, I think its going to be hard to paint the church Obama goes to as some radical church when its also attended by Oprah.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2008, 02:45:20 PM »

As I said about oprah though, I think its going to be hard to paint the church Obama goes to as some radical church when its also attended by Oprah.

That too is true.  Speaking of which, I haven't seen her with Obama lately.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2008, 02:51:22 PM »

Well she does have a job of her own and a show to tape.  IIRC believe the majority of the time when she was campaigning with him was during a span when her show was not in prodction.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: March 14, 2008, 03:07:51 PM »

Well she does have a job of her own and a show to tape.  IIRC believe the majority of the time when she was campaigning with him was during a span when her show was not in prodction.

Makes sense.  And she has that other show going on too (but I assume that one was filmed in advance).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #131 on: March 14, 2008, 03:48:38 PM »

1) What would your opinion be if some generic candidate (republican or democrat) was a member of the Westboro Baptist Church but said he didn't agree with some of the comments made by Fred Phelps?

Hell. That happens all of the time. Your candidate praises a guy who actively hates catholics.

2) What would your opinion be if some generic candidate (republican or democrat) was a member of the KKK but said he didn't agree in negative treatment of non-whites?

Ummmm...wha? Comparing this to a member in the KKK shows how disgraceful this attack is.

3) What would your opinion be if some generic candidate (republican or democrat) was a member of PETA but didn't believe that people should become vegetarians?

I'm sure there are people like this.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #132 on: March 14, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »

The Rev Wright affair is quite possibly fatal to Obama's candidacy.  If intrade has not knocked down Obama's chances to get the nomination down to about 40%, sell him short. His chances to beat McCain have similarly fallen.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #133 on: March 14, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »

1) What would your opinion be if some generic candidate (republican or democrat) was a member of the Westboro Baptist Church but said he didn't agree with some of the comments made by Fred Phelps?

Hell. That happens all of the time. Your candidate praises a guy who actively hates catholics.

2) What would your opinion be if some generic candidate (republican or democrat) was a member of the KKK but said he didn't agree in negative treatment of non-whites?

Ummmm...wha? Comparing this to a member in the KKK shows how disgraceful this attack is.

3) What would your opinion be if some generic candidate (republican or democrat) was a member of PETA but didn't believe that people should become vegetarians?

*sigh*
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #134 on: March 14, 2008, 03:54:53 PM »

The Rev Wright affair is quite possibly fatal to Obama's candidacy.  If intrade has not knocked down Obama's chances to get the nomination down to about 40%, sell him short. His chances to beat McCain have similarly fallen.

It's barely had an effect. He's dropped about 2 points, to around 75.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #135 on: March 14, 2008, 04:10:21 PM »

*sigh*

No cure for KoolAid drinkers, modu.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: March 14, 2008, 04:12:05 PM »

*sigh*

Standard nutjob reply to a competent post:

*sigh*
No cure for KoolAid drinkers
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #137 on: March 14, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »

*sigh*

Standard nutjob reply to a competent post:

*sigh*
No cure for KoolAid drinkers

Exactly. They are destroying our country and blaming it on us... I guess they are getting a 2 for 1 deal.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: March 14, 2008, 04:24:53 PM »

I'm sorry. I now see the error in my ways. I shall worship at the almighty feet of Obama and honor & respect the new religion of Global Warming which has been cast out in my direction. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #139 on: March 14, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »

I'm sorry. I now see the error in my ways. I shall worship at the almighty feet of Obama and honor & respect the new religion of Global Warming which has been cast out in my direction. I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.

Damn straight.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #140 on: March 14, 2008, 04:27:45 PM »

oh noonononono.... I shall accept John McCain as my personal lord and savior and make his gospel of unending war the center of my life.
Bay Ridge, Bklyn! Born and Bred
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: -4.87

« Reply #141 on: March 14, 2008, 04:37:10 PM »

To the Dems who think Obama is a better G.E. candidate... look at how the polls are turning around.  It's almost amusing how you have all been fooled - but yet terrifying that so many well-intentioned, smart, decent people have been walked willingly into the slaughterhouse.

The Dems haven't been fooled by anyone.  Its just that they keep jumping back and forth between two seriously flawed candidates that have no chance in winning a general election, and are too vain to admit their candidates just plain suck.
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2008, 04:38:49 PM »

This attack on Obama is disgusting. The republicans will do anything to win and will end America in the process.

Then here's an idea:  pick a winning candidate.   For once.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2008, 04:39:15 PM »

I don't know if it has been mentioned but does anyone else find it hilarious that Obama's black power preacher looks white?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2008, 04:41:21 PM »

I don't know if it has been mentioned but does anyone else find it hilarious that Obama's black power preacher looks white?

White mans conspiracy perhaps?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2008, 04:49:23 PM »

1.  Belonging to a church does not, repeat not, mean that the member of the church agrees with everything the member says.

2.  In Obama's case, he has touted Pastor Wright as his spiritual adviser and emphasized his (Obama's) faith.

3.  Pastor Wright has delivered some sermons that are, inflammatory to say the least.

Is Obama willing to say, "I disagree with Pastor Wright on these things?"  Did he walk up to Pastor Wright after these services and say, "I'm afraid I disagree with you on that point?"
MikeyCNY

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2008, 04:51:16 PM »

One more time Obama - why in the hell would you attend this church for 20 years and listen weekly to that nut's ravings?

Because during those 20 years, he didn't have presidential ambitions.  And being a member of an all-black Chicago "Megachurch" would help Obama for his political aspirations in Chicago.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2008, 05:00:21 PM »

Well, Obama has written a peice that is available on RealClearPolitics. You should read it.
1.  Belonging to a church does not, repeat not, mean that the member of the church agrees with everything the member says.

2.  In Obama's case, he has touted Pastor Wright as his spiritual adviser and emphasized his (Obama's) faith.

3.  Pastor Wright has delivered some sermons that are, inflammatory to say the least.

Is Obama willing to say, "I disagree with Pastor Wright on these things?"  Did he walk up to Pastor Wright after these services and say, "I'm afraid I disagree with you on that point?"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2008, 05:01:33 PM »

Well, Obama has written a peice that is available on RealClearPolitics. You should read it.

Do you have a link?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2008/03/on_my_faith_and_my_church.html
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies