Confirmation Hearing: Mr. Moderate (Secretary of Forum Affairs)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:53:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Mr. Moderate (Secretary of Forum Affairs)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Mr. Moderate (Secretary of Forum Affairs)  (Read 8229 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 07, 2008, 10:39:17 PM »

This hearing is called to order.

Senators are encouraged to debate the qualities of the nominee.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:47:54 PM »

I have made my decision on how I will vote one Mr. Moderate's confirmation (assuming Ebowed ever gets around to starting the confirmation of the PPT).

I am deeply disturbed by the arguments put forward by the President. He had campaigned on a non-partisan approach to the running of government, and he has promptly evicted arguably the most capable SoFA we have ever had on essentially ideological grounds, grounds that shouldn't even be relevant to the position. Whatever others might say, it is clear that Phil, despite his running mate (who has been conspicuously absent), is unwilling to fulfill his promise of compromise and cross-ideological discourse.

However, I have a great deal of respect for Sen. Moderate, who has been one of the most active and effective Senators and who has been a pleasure to work with, both in the Senate and in our party. I have confidence that he will perform the job of SoFA capably, and I therefore have no desire to vote against his confirmation because I am upset at the tactics of the ticket my vote counted for. Despite Sam's argument, the Senate is not a rubberstamp for the President, and the Cabinet is as much the Senate's discretion as the President's.

I will not vote against Moderate's confirmation as doing so would be denying Atlasia a capable SoFA. I will also not vote in favor, as to do so would be to condone all of the President's decisions in this matter, of which I deeply disapprove. I urge other Senators to express their displeasure similarly and to abstain on Moderate's confirmation.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:48:35 PM »

I doubt we'll see any fireworks here; it's all on the other board.

For now all the fireworks are on that board. I can expect it to get hot in this kitchen when the confirmation hearing begins.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:51:06 PM »

For now all the fireworks are on that board. I can expect it to get hot in this kitchen when the confirmation hearing begins.

It already has.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 10:53:44 PM »

I realize you place a lot of importance on your post count, but please keep the dumb and unnecessary posts out of the government board.  There is no need to clog it up with what is essentially trolling.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 10:56:25 PM »

I realize you place a lot of importance on your post count, but please keep the dumb and unnecessary posts out of the government board.  There is no need to clog it up with what is essentially trolling.

Please yourself, Mr. Vice President.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:57:09 PM »

I still think it's funny that you lost to Friz, you worthless idiot.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 11:06:22 PM »

Come now, youre both gentlemen, try to keep this about the subject at hand, as it is quite important.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 11:08:38 PM »

and the Cabinet is as much the Senate's discretion as the President's.

I must strongly disagree: the Cabinet is part of the executive branch, and not the legislative branch, for a reason.  The Senate provides input to ensure equality among the branches, not because the Cabinet serves at its discretion.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 11:11:56 PM »

and the Cabinet is as much the Senate's discretion as the President's.

I must strongly disagree: the Cabinet is part of the executive branch, and not the legislative branch, for a reason.  The Senate provides input to ensure equality among the branches, not because the Cabinet serves at its discretion.

If the Senate is expected to confirm anyone the President puts forward, then there is no equality between branches, and we might as well have no confirmation process at all. As we have a confirmation process, I believe the Senate should and must use it to express its own opinion, not the opinion of the President.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »

No, I agree that the Senate should not be a rubber stamp.  I have voted against more Presidential nominations than probably any other Senator has had the opportunity to.

But I can't see any justification for the reasons that people are disappointed with this particular nominee- it has all to do with the fact that he is not someone else, and his merits are being glossed over because of it.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 11:26:23 PM »

No, I agree that the Senate should not be a rubber stamp.  I have voted against more Presidential nominations than probably any other Senator has had the opportunity to.

But I can't see any justification for the reasons that people are disappointed with this particular nominee- it has all to do with the fact that he is not someone else, and his merits are being glossed over because of it.

As I said, I will not vote against Mr. Moderate. However, I wish to express my displeasure with the President. I will not roll over for the President because he says so.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 12:40:38 AM »

I want to thank the Vice President for opening these hearings, and will gladly answer any questions that my fellow Senators (or, indeed, any Atlasian) may have for me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2008, 02:18:04 AM »

As I said, I will not vote against Mr. Moderate. However, I wish to express my displeasure with the President. I will not roll over for the President because he says so.

I never asked anyone to "roll over." I'm asking people to stop acting childish because they didn't get who they wanted. That's not how this works. You don't roll over me and I sure as hell won't roll over for you.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2008, 03:26:05 AM »

I never asked anyone to "roll over." I'm asking people to stop acting childish because they didn't get who they wanted. That's not how this works. You don't roll over me and I sure as hell won't roll over for you.

You are talking down to the Senate. I believe we are as capable, perhaps more capable as a chamber of many voices, to make this decision. If the Senate, or any individual Senator, or any Atlasian at all, believes the President is making an incorrect decision, it is our right and our duty to point out that error and call for its correction. In the case of Senators, we have greater authority than the citizenry in calling out such errors and thus have the greatest duty to express our own opinions, in speeches and in votes.

If you, as President, feel that our votes, or my own vote individually, force you to roll over, then you fundamentally misunderstand the balance of power.

I have no question for Mr. Moderate, and I would like him to know that this bears nothing against him.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2008, 05:01:36 AM »
« Edited: March 08, 2008, 05:03:19 AM by afleitch »

I would prefer this hearing to focus on Mr Moderates strengths and weaknesses and we should therefore make a decision based upon them. Tactics aside, the President can remove any cabinet member from his post but cannot automatically replace them without the confirmation of the Senate. As the first act has been done, the second; the nomination of Mr Moderate, is what we in the Senate must focus on.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2008, 10:24:02 AM »

Several questions for Mr. Moderate:

1) Is there an activity or job in your real life that would require you to be away from the forum for extended periods of time? (I don't need to know what it is as that's your own business, just whether one exists)

2) In the event of an electoral dispute (invalid vote, questionable registration, campaigning in election thread), what would your course of action be to rectify the situation?

3) How frequently would you update the master voting list?

Thank you sir.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2008, 01:31:58 PM »

You are talking down to the Senate. I believe we are as capable, perhaps more capable as a chamber of many voices, to make this decision. If the Senate, or any individual Senator, or any Atlasian at all, believes the President is making an incorrect decision, it is our right and our duty to point out that error and call for its correction. In the case of Senators, we have greater authority than the citizenry in calling out such errors and thus have the greatest duty to express our own opinions, in speeches and in votes.

If you, as President, feel that our votes, or my own vote individually, force you to roll over, then you fundamentally misunderstand the balance of power.

I have no question for Mr. Moderate, and I would like him to know that this bears nothing against him.

I'm not talking down to anyone. I'm stating my reasonable objection to some member's opinions of what I'm trying to do. I have the duty not just as President but as an Atlasian to correct your ill conceived notions. There is no error in my nomination at all. The Senate doesn't force me to nominate the person they want. Maybe you ought to understand the balance of power.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »

In case you haven't noticed, I am not forcing you to do anything. You words, not mine.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 01:48:56 PM »

In case you haven't noticed, I am not forcing you to do anything. You words, not mine.

Then what are you simply expressing disapproval of? You're disappointed because I nominated an extremely qualified citizen to the position of SoFA instead of your personal choice?

When others were President, I support different people for Cabinet positions and may have voiced that opinion but when the President made his decision, it is time to put that aside and debate the qualifications of the nominee. Instead, we had an angry uproar. Instead I was being told I was dividing Atlasia, I was being told I was a hypocrite, etc. because I didn't go with the popular pick. Shameful.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2008, 01:56:35 PM »

To see if the appointee understands the new system, I have a question.

Will the midterm Senate elections be open-list or closed-list?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 02:10:40 PM »

Then what are you simply expressing disapproval of? You're disappointed because I nominated an extremely qualified citizen to the position of SoFA instead of your personal choice?

When others were President, I support different people for Cabinet positions and may have voiced that opinion but when the President made his decision, it is time to put that aside and debate the qualifications of the nominee. Instead, we had an angry uproar. Instead I was being told I was dividing Atlasia, I was being told I was a hypocrite, etc. because I didn't go with the popular pick. Shameful.

I am disappointed because you made the wrong choice for Atlasia, not in nominating Moderate, but in turning this into a big fight. The President is not above scrutiny in his decisions, and we are free to criticize them. You have stated that "when the President made his decision, it is time to put that aside and debate the qualifications of the nominee." I have no concerns about the nominee, but the decision was still the wrong one. It would be wrong to abandon my criticism simply because you are the President. And that is the only message I am getting from you.

I am done with this debate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 02:16:38 PM »

I am disappointed because you made the wrong choice for Atlasia, not in nominating Moderate, but in turning this into a big fight. The President is not above scrutiny in his decisions, and we are free to criticize them. You have stated that "when the President made his decision, it is time to put that aside and debate the qualifications of the nominee." I have no concerns about the nominee, but the decision was still the wrong one. It would be wrong to abandon my criticism simply because you are the President. And that is the only message I am getting from you.

I am done with this debate.

I turned this into a fight? You are free to criticize (even if the nominee is extremely qualified) but I'm responsible for the fighting?

You personally wanted to see Lewis as SoFA. That's great. I have no problem with people feeling that way. However, don't go crazy when I want someone else because I want that other individual to have a chance to prove himself. You are the ones making the wrong decision.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 02:36:15 PM »

I feel that the President had no need to replace our current SoFA; he merely did so to assert his authority as President.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2008, 02:38:23 PM »

I feel that the President had no need to replace our current SoFA; he merely did so to assert his authority as President.

That's his right, he can nominate anyone he wants, it's a political position. I doubt you'd mind if it was say Phil in this position and he did as good a job as Lewis.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies