Crazy Election Scenario
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:53:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Crazy Election Scenario
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crazy Election Scenario  (Read 3206 times)
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 06, 2008, 07:43:58 PM »

Lets say that for some reason in 2004, all parties broke up and formed new ones, and these were the tickets that ran for the presidency.

Social Democrats
Dick Gephardt/John Edwards
The Social Democrats are a Leftist-Liberal party, that is fairly radical on Economic Issues. Their main voter bases are Union workers, and Leftists in general. They are against the Iraq War.

Centrists
Evan Bayh/Olympia Snowe
The Centrists are a party determined to have a Balanced Budget, Pro-Growth, and moderate Social Change policy. They are sick of the Left, and Right controlling government and want an end to Special Interests controlling Washington. They are against the Iraq War.

the Liberty Party
Howard Dean/Arlen Specter
the Liberty Party is a party based on having relativley small government, and social change. It is completley against the Iraq War, and wants taxes reduced and wants extreme government curtailing, so that no one's Civil Liberties are harmed.

the Conservatives
George W Bush/Bill Frist
the Conservative Party is a party mainly based on Social Issues, and banning Abortion, Gay Marriage and having Creationism in schools, but is also Conservative on Economic Issues. It is for the Iraq War

the Populists
Brad Henry/Mike Huckabee
the Populists are Center-Leftist on Economic Issues, Right on Social Issues, and extremely hawkish. They are for the Iraq War, and want to build a large border fence to stop Immigration.

What would the Election map look like? Who would you vote for?
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 10:14:21 PM »

Probably the Liberty party(no more bright-yellow font, please). I don't like some of the positions the Populist party has.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:04:22 AM »

Centrists
Math
math
France

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 10:36:18 AM »

Centrists would probably win... And I'm not sure if I prefer the centrists, the liberals or the SocDem... I'm really tied.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 11:21:03 PM »

Centrists would win, though I'd vote Populist.

RESULTS:

Social Democrats: 18.1%

Centrists: 25.8%

the Liberty Party: 16.8%

the Conservatives:25.2%

the Populists:15.1%
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 11:28:14 PM »

DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 11:42:30 PM »

First, Bush is nowhere near conservative on economic issues. Except  for lowering taxes, he has spent money like a drunken sailor at a Dutch harbor.
Second, I would hope that there is a constitutional/libertarian style party to vote for.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 11:47:36 PM »

I'd go for the Centrists.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »

First, Bush is nowhere near conservative on economic issues. Except  for lowering taxes, he has spent money like a drunken sailor at a Dutch harbor.
Second, I would hope that there is a constitutional/libertarian style party to vote for.

Bush is certainly not Populist.

The Liberty Party is a libertarian party.
DWPerry
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 12:00:14 AM »

I've never thought of Howard Dean OR Arlen Specter as being libertarian
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 12:36:11 AM »

I've never thought of Howard Dean OR Arlen Specter as being libertarian
They are reasonably, Libertarian in this scenario. They shifted some of their beliefs, to run with this ticket. Besides Howard Dean is pretty much a Rockefeller Republican, and moved to the right a little, and he is a Small Government advocate.
perdedor

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 03:13:21 PM »

While I'd line up better with the Social Democrats, my endless respect for Howard Dean would drive my vote to the liberals.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 01:02:16 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2008, 01:20:44 AM by AltWorlder »

Are you trying to go for a moderate libertarianish group with the Liberty Party?  Because if so, I really don't understand why Howard Dean's on their ticket.

I'd go for the Populists, not because I like their positions as you described them- I think they sound a bit too Religious Right/Constitution Party-styled theocratic, and too pro-war- but their alignment on the political compass fits mine.  I would join them to pull them towards the center and towards moderation and sanity.  And I like how you have their name in Christian Democratic orange, too.

Kudos to Evilmexicandictator, by the way.  As much as I like Citizen Al's Multi-Party U.S. scenario, yours seems more realistic to me in that the parties you've come up with are merely divisions that already exist in the real parties- and thus, they're all relatively "moderate" overall.  For example, the Populists sound kind of scary for their "extremely hawkish" views and support for a giant fence, but having Henry and Huckabee headline for them doesn't seem too bad.  At least it's not a Buchanan/Dobbs party.  And a Gerhardt/Edwards liberal party seems reasonable as well.  And your liberal party seems possible, though I think they're a bit too centerish to be truly libertarian.

But... you're a Green.  Why would you vote for the social conservative party?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 06:38:03 PM »

But... you're a Green.  Why would you vote for the social conservative party?

Don't mind him, always changing his avatar.
cannonia
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.42, S: -1.30

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 08:07:24 AM »

I wouldn't trust the candidates for the Liberty Party to follow through on their platform.  Bush has been a fairly decent president, but let's just say 8 years has been enough.  I would stay home and not vote for any of these slates.

The US election laws would need to change for a true multiparty race, though.  This scenario would go to the House.

By the way, nice caricature of conservatives.
reformer
Rookie

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 11:49:48 AM »

The problem is in 2004 both the centrist and probably the social democrats would be pro-war.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 09:49:20 PM »

Do Howard Dean and Arlen Specter really qualify as being in the libertarian configuration?  I know Dean is pro-small government on some issues such as guns, and that Specter is a RINO, maybe a Rockefeller Republican, but it still seems odd.  Also, I'm not sure if Bayh and Snowe are the best picks of absolutely centrist- I think Schwarzenegger would be a perfect champion of such a party, though.  Bloomberg could fit as well.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

As much as I like Citizen Al's Multi-Party U.S. scenario, yours seems more realistic to me in that the parties you've come up with are merely divisions that already exist in the real parties- and thus, they're all relatively "moderate" overall. 

How is this more realistic than creating a cogent history of US political parties and how that history would result in present day parties? I mean, no offense meant to EMD, but he obviously just made up ideological groups and tossed politicians in them with no regard for what voters would vote for them or whether their views were exactly the same.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 05:29:58 PM »

As much as I like Citizen Al's Multi-Party U.S. scenario, yours seems more realistic to me in that the parties you've come up with are merely divisions that already exist in the real parties- and thus, they're all relatively "moderate" overall. 

How is this more realistic than creating a cogent history of US political parties and how that history would result in present day parties? I mean, no offense meant to EMD, but he obviously just made up ideological groups and tossed politicians in them with no regard for what voters would vote for them or whether their views were exactly the same.
Yeah I like Al's better too. I just came up with this in like 15 minutes, and I really didn't put that much thought to politicans. I did try to make most of these parties relativley moderate for a reason though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies