Who will win the election?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 07:46:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who will win the election?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who will win the election?
Democrats (Clinton, Obama)

Republican (McCain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Who will win the election?  (Read 2337 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »

Well?
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »

I demand an undecided slot on the poll Sad
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:16:03 PM »

Wouldve been better to split it up into Obama (assuming he wins the nom.) Clinton (Assuming she wins the nom.), McCain, and Field. I believe the Dems' odds change radically according to nominee.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 11:17:54 PM »

McCain.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 11:22:13 PM »

Obama
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 11:23:09 PM »

Right now I'd say McCain.  The Dems have so many advantages and should be able to win this thing easily but they are so self destructive.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 11:24:45 PM »

It depends on how McCain does in fundraising while Obama and Clinton beat the crap out of each other.

McCain has a real advantage in terms of being able to attack his opponent.

If it's Hillary, then the "she's a crazy bitch" factor plays into his hands.

If it's Obama, then he can use how Hillary and Bill have attacked him in this campaign.  Reagan had real fun in 1980 using clips of Ted Kennedy's rallying cries against Jimmy Carter.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:26:46 PM »

Ay caramba.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 11:46:08 PM »

After watching Obama's incompetence at closing this one out, I now suspect only Clinton or McCain can win.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 11:53:12 PM »

Unless Bush gets his approval rating up to at least 45 percent I refuse to believe McCain will win. It would certainly be historically unprecedented if he did, given Bush's numbers.

I agree that Obama's showing yesterday is cause for concern, but I also am confident that he will fix the problems with his campaign within the next 8 months. Hopefully this will act as a wakeup call for him.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 12:00:24 AM »

Unless Bush gets his approval rating up to at least 45 percent I refuse to believe McCain will win. It would certainly be historically unprecedented if he did, given Bush's numbers.

I agree that Obama's showing yesterday is cause for concern, but I also am confident that he will fix the problems with his campaign within the next 8 months. Hopefully this will act as a wakeup call for him.

Nym, Obama has a lot of problems compared to Clinton if the race is close.  His only advantage in my mind (in the past) was his ability to achieve a popular vote victory of some size.  Yesterday makes me doubt whether that is ever possible.  McCain is just as good of a campaigner as Clinton.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 12:33:22 AM »

After watching Obama's incompetence at closing this one out, I now suspect only Clinton or McCain can win.

Oh please. You seriously think Clinton is going to win the nomination?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 12:36:20 AM »

"...After watyching Clinton's incompetence at closing this one out [in Iowa], I now suspect only Obama or McCan can win."

Or are we so short-sighted?
Sasquatch

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -8.52

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 12:37:25 AM »

McCain.

Democrats will find a way to screw this up.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 12:41:27 AM »

I'd say that a lot can change in several months, so it's too early to say one candidate "can't" win.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 12:42:08 AM »

"...After watyching Clinton's incompetence at closing this one out [in Iowa], I now suspect only Obama or McCan can win."

This is the second time Obama has fumbled at the finish line where he could've ended this election (see New Hampshire).
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 12:44:38 AM »
« Edited: March 06, 2008, 12:47:52 PM by Eraserhead »

This is the second time Obama has fumbled at the finish line where he could've ended this election (see New Hampshire).

...or we could say Clinton fumbled several times when she could have sealed the deal. So whats the point? It's a tough race but Obama is still well ahead.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 12:44:44 AM »

And yet, Hillary Clinton could have ended Obama in Iowa, South Carolina, Super Tuesday, Wisconsin, and with an actual win (more than 5 or something delegates) last night. I guess this means that she can't win elections.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 01:02:44 AM »

Look, putting your hands over your ears and screaming, "The race is over, the race is over" is a guaranteed way to lose the race.

Obama still has time to change his stripes and figure out how to take her out for good.  Even regardless of what I said before, I'm willing to give him a good chance (like the others) at winning the general if he figures this out.  We have plenty of time to find out.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 01:05:51 AM »

Look, putting your hands over your ears and screaming, "The race is over, the race is over" is a guaranteed way to lose the race.

Obama still has time to change his stripes and figure out how to take her out for good.  Even regardless of what I said before, I'm willing to give him a good chance (like the others) at winning the general if he figures this out.  We have plenty of time to find out.

Oh, I agree completely. I was just trying to point out that your statement that Obama cannot win is pretty absurd 8 months out, especially considering how unfavorable the national environment is for the GOP.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 01:15:22 AM »

Oh course it is, but it's the same strategy Clinton used when she was ahead. To say that only she can win because they both made the same mistake is extraordinarily and unexpectedly short-sighted.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2008, 01:17:22 AM »

Obama's problem is that his rhetoric sounds like it is designed to appeal to moderates and independents and this is supposed to bring people together. However the results show that, particularly in the eastern and southern parts of the country, and to an extent also on the West coast, in most states Hillary is winning the more conservative areas.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008, 01:18:42 AM »

This is the first time Obama has actually been scrutinized. The race isn't over. Obama can still lose it. He won those 11 straight contests by getting 84% favorable press coverage and he was praised by just about everyone in the media. It's not hard to imagine being able to win when you are on top of the world.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008, 03:03:33 AM »

'Incompetence'?  You call a man incompetent if he cannot in a couple of weeks wipe away centuries of ingrained racism?  That's setting the bar a bit high, SS.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008, 09:48:59 AM »

Obama's problem is that his rhetoric sounds like it is designed to appeal to moderates and independents and this is supposed to bring people together. However the results show that, particularly in the eastern and southern parts of the country, and to an extent also on the West coast, in most states Hillary is winning the more conservative areas.

Hillary is winning the Democrats in more conservative areas. Obama's winning the independents according to all exit polls. Conservative Democrats support Hillary, independents support Obama. Duh.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies