The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:18:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 194749 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: April 05, 2009, 11:18:24 AM »

How would at play out when the federal government sends funding, I would assume in Atlasian dollars, if the SE doesn't accept them.

The way I authored the bill, I would intend for the Dirty Southern regional government to take these Atlasian dollars out of circulation, such as putting them in some warehouse. This also has good effects for the rest of Atlasia, because with the Atlasian dollars being taken out of circulation, people in the other four regions currently holding Atlasian dollars will hold more purchasing power.

In retrospect, I should have put a provision saying that the Dirty South will acquire gold reserves to do this.

With respect to the constitutionality of this, I stated in the proposed amendment that it would not be considered legal tender, and would be enforced on purely voluntary means, since presumably Dirty Southerners would prefer money backed by gold to fiat money when given the choice.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #801 on: April 05, 2009, 11:50:44 AM »

We would simply convert the money and we will still have Atlasian dollars, that's why it is the "Freedom of Currency Act", it allows for the people to choose which currency they want.

VIVA LA DIRTY SOUTH!

So how long before the President takes your region to court? Wink
I don't intend anyone taking us to court, and if they do we will fight it tooth and nail

Somebody will and you have no case against it so I can't wait to see it fail.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #802 on: April 09, 2009, 04:03:31 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2009, 02:21:40 PM by Jas »

The Examiner
9 April 2009

Southeast Favours Economic Anarchy

The Southeast region has declared monetary independence deciding to forcibly remove the Atlasian dollar from circulation in favour of economic anarchy. The Freedom of Currency Amendment just passed by the region instructs the regional government to take Atlasian currency out of circulation to be replaced by a new voluntary Southeastern currency, backed by as yet inexistant gold reserves, but which will not have any status as legal tender.

The measure passed on a turnout of just 5 (all RPP) voters - something which itself would seem to contradict de facto Southeastern Governor DWTL (who ran the initiatives thread; moved for them to be voted on as emergency legislation; and demanded certification) who lauded his party and region in the ongoing Examiner Senate debate for its healthy activity and partisanship, but overlooked that it would take a rigourous search to find any significant activity by a non-RPP member in the Southeast in recent times.

The new Southeastern legislation has been strongly criticised by Sen. Bacon King who highlighted contradictions and redundancies within the 'Help the Dirty South Study Act'; the vast waste in abandoning the recently built $1 billion capitol complex; as well as the many inanities arising from the Freedom of Currency Act.

The White House nor the Office of the Attorney General have yet to make known their response to the Southeast's decision to move for economic independence.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #803 on: April 09, 2009, 11:12:48 AM »

The act amkes clear it intends to take it out of circulation though voluntary means. This could be done through dollar-dixie currency exchange. I admit that the act was poorly worded, and I should write it better for next election's ballot.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #804 on: April 09, 2009, 11:32:57 AM »

The act amkes clear it intends to take it out of circulation though voluntary means. This could be done through dollar-dixie currency exchange. I admit that the act was poorly worded, and I should write it better for next election's ballot.

The Act does no such thing. Section 1a is very clear in committing the regional government to removing dollars from circulation.

The measure is both legislative and economic nonsense. In the real world a similar measure would result in national economic turmoil and extreme volatity. It marks a vote of no confidence in the national currency and is arguably only marginally short of a declaration of independence. It is a wonderful example of regional negligence and incompetence.

For reference:
Freedom of Currency Amendment
1. Article I, Section XII, shall be added to read the following:
a. The government of the Dirty South shall gradually take Atlasian dollars out of circulation within the Dirty South.
b. The government of the Dirty South shall circulate currency called "dixies," which can be exchangable for a pegged amount of gold at any time.
c. Section 2 will be enforced on a purely voluntary basis, and no legal tender laws will be used to force businesses to accept dixies as currency.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #805 on: April 09, 2009, 01:28:16 PM »

While I greatly appreciate the reference to my opposition of the Southeast's recent initiatives, please not that I will not be known as "Fmr Sen. Bacon King" until my term expires in a few weeks. Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #806 on: April 09, 2009, 02:03:36 PM »

While I greatly appreciate the reference to my opposition of the Southeast's recent initiatives, please not that I will not be known as "Fmr Sen. Bacon King" until my term expires in a few weeks. Smiley

Oops! Sorry!
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #807 on: April 09, 2009, 03:05:19 PM »

'Tis interesting that The Examiner does not see fit to point out the fact that Senator Bacon King failed to participate in the initiative debate thread and in the actual voting, making his belated complaints rather hypocritical. Perhaps those who decry the lack of activity in the Dirty South or the quality of legislation should actually try to set an example and participate in the process.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #808 on: April 09, 2009, 04:51:32 PM »

'Tis interesting that The Examiner does not see fit to point out the fact that Senator Bacon King failed to participate in the initiative debate thread and in the actual voting, making his belated complaints rather hypocritical.

Seeing as your use of 'hypocritical' doesn't make sense in this context, I'd ask that you explain your point further.

Perhaps those who decry the lack of activity in the Dirty South or the quality of legislation should actually try to set an example and participate in the process.

Now this is hypocritical. You have been an almost non-existent Lt. Governor who has proposed a total of 0 bills, amendments or resolutions and whose voice hasn't been spotted anywhere close to the legislative process until now - seeking to defend the indefensible.

You can't blame others for your own decision to vote for nonsensical legislative rubbish. At any rate, this paper and other persons highlighted serious issues of concern over the legislation before the vote and were roundly ignored. You can't then blame us for your own voting farce.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #809 on: April 09, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »

The White House nor the Office of the Attorney General have yet to make known their response to the Southeast's decision to move for economic independence.

Rest assured, I'll be doing something about it. This quite blatantly violated the Article 1, Section 7, Clause 2 of the Constitution here:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I should've stepped in earlier and advised the Southeast and those in power to actually read the Constitution and not be total constitutionally illiterate, especially since it's referenced in yet another part of Article 1 that the currency established by the federal government of Atlasia shall be the sole currency and only the Senate shall have authority in regulating the currency.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #810 on: April 09, 2009, 05:26:36 PM »

'Tis interesting that The Examiner does not see fit to point out the fact that Senator Bacon King failed to participate in the initiative debate thread and in the actual voting, making his belated complaints rather hypocritical. Perhaps those who decry the lack of activity in the Dirty South or the quality of legislation should actually try to set an example and participate in the process.

How was I even to know of all this? There hasn't been an initiative thread or election for four months and these weren't even held at the appropriate time.
Daniel Adams
Georgia

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: 2.43

« Reply #811 on: April 09, 2009, 05:49:27 PM »

'Tis interesting that The Examiner does not see fit to point out the fact that Senator Bacon King failed to participate in the initiative debate thread and in the actual voting, making his belated complaints rather hypocritical.

Seeing as your use of 'hypocritical' doesn't make sense in this context, I'd ask that you explain your point further.

I don't see what's so unclear to you. Senator Bacon King decried the lack of participation in our region, but he himself decided not to participate in the initiatives debate or vote.

Perhaps those who decry the lack of activity in the Dirty South or the quality of legislation should actually try to set an example and participate in the process.

Now this is hypocritical. You have been an almost non-existent Lt. Governor who has proposed a total of 0 bills, amendments or resolutions and whose voice hasn't been spotted anywhere close to the legislative process until now - seeking to defend the indefensible.

You can't blame others for your own decision to vote for nonsensical legislative rubbish. At any rate, this paper and other persons highlighted serious issues of concern over the legislation before the vote and were roundly ignored. You can't then blame us for your own voting farce.
You misunderstood what I wrote. I voted for those three initiatives and do not regret doing so. I am not trying to "blame others" for that decision. My point is that Bacon King criticizes the lack of activity in the Dirty South, but he himself refuses opportunities to participate. That is, in my view, hypocritical. He had the opportunity to explain his concerns about the initiatives and to vote against them, but he did not do so.

How was I even to know of all this? There hasn't been an initiative thread or election for four months and these weren't even held at the appropriate time.
Actually, we did have an initiatives debate thread open two weeks before the election. Had you looked at the Atlas Fantasy Elections board, you would've seen the helpfully-named Dirty South Initiatives Thread (it has been pushed to page 2 now that the vote is over). I don't see how you could've overlooked it.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #812 on: April 09, 2009, 07:28:11 PM »

I missed a thread that has been ignored all year and I missed an election that was completely unscheduled. Sorry, but this is not me "deciding not to participate," this is me not even knowing about it because of the hectic and haphazard manner in which it was accomplished. I see no hypocrisy in my actions.

Besides, a lack of participation wasn't even the focal point of my argument. Someone should have picked up on a bill directly contradicting itself, or at least referring to a part of itself that doesn't even exist. Hashemite even pointed out in the initiatives thread that the "Freedom of Currency Act" was unconstitutional, but nobody did anything! Just because My previous lack participation doesn't make any single aspect of my criticism any less true.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #813 on: April 10, 2009, 01:04:17 AM »

The Act does no such thing. Section 1a is very clear in committing the regional government to removing dollars from circulation.

The measure is both legislative and economic nonsense. In the real world a similar measure would result in national economic turmoil and extreme volatity. It marks a vote of no confidence in the national currency and is arguably only marginally short of a declaration of independence. It is a wonderful example of regional negligence and incompetence.

For reference:
Freedom of Currency Amendment
1. Article I, Section XII, shall be added to read the following:
a. The government of the Dirty South shall gradually take Atlasian dollars out of circulation within the Dirty South.
b. The government of the Dirty South shall circulate currency called "dixies," which can be exchangable for a pegged amount of gold at any time.
c. Section 2 will be enforced on a purely voluntary basis, and no legal tender laws will be used to force businesses to accept dixies as currency.

While I forgot to mention that this also applied to Section 1, I had assumed that the Southeast Constitution would have prevented us from using coercive means to take Atlasian dollars out of circulation. It was certainly the intent of the author to accomplish ths through voluntary means. This sends a message to Nyman that the Southeast would like to reconsider a gold standard, and will take it into its own hands if it doesn't.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #814 on: April 10, 2009, 07:00:12 AM »

This sends a message to Nyman that the Southeast would like to reconsider a gold standard, and will take it into its own hands if it doesn't.

lulz

Yes indeed. The RPP have sent a strong message to the RPP plurality Senate and the RPP endorsed President about RPP policy by submitting an unconstitutional, economically disastrous, incompetently drafted piece of nonsense in regional politics - long known as strongly influencing federal policies.

What complete and utter twaddle.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #815 on: April 10, 2009, 07:34:10 AM »

Well, we did something to boost activity again.  Be it not as drastic as other times, but something was finally done.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #816 on: April 10, 2009, 09:21:53 AM »

1.) There was an initiative thread
2.) There were held completely legally, Duke made them "emergencies" and called them to a vote
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #817 on: April 11, 2009, 07:58:22 AM »

BTW the Dirty South objects to "favouring" economic anarchy, we actually favor it as we live in America
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #818 on: April 16, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »

The Examiner Senate Election Tracker - April 2009

With balloting now underway in the mid-term elections, The Examiner will endeavour to provide updates on voting developments as the election progresses.

Count 1Votes
South Park Conservative3(benconstine1, RowanBrandon, South Park Conservative, dead0man)
DownWithTheLeft2(DownWithTheLeft, AHDuke)
Bacon King2(Bacon King, Al)
Franzl1(Franzl)
afleitch0
Lief0
Purple State0
AHDuke*0
Al*0
Inks*0
Rowan Brandon0
Daniel Adams*0

* These candidates have not, as of yet, accepted write-in votes cast for them.
1 The Examiner has some doubts as to the validity of this ballot and has given notice of same to the Attorney General and the Secretary of Forum Affairs. Due to these doubts, the vote is not currently included in the above count.

The Examiner will publish full vote counts at a later stage when more ballots have been cast.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #819 on: April 16, 2009, 04:22:06 PM »

I believe the vote of Benconstine was indeed invalid and breaks the Voting Whilst Banned Act and possibly the Contempt of Court Act, as you expressed concern for to me.

Starting on the 19th of Jan. Ben was prohibited from voting for 13 weeks, or 91 days. Unfortunately the date of his vote, the 15th of this month, is not outside of that limit and as such is illegal. I'm afraid I'm going to be forced to press charges.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #820 on: April 16, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »

I believe the vote of Benconstine was indeed invalid and breaks the Voting Whilst Banned Act and possibly the Contempt of Court Act, as you expressed concern for to me.

Starting on the 19th of Jan. Ben was prohibited from voting for 13 weeks, or 91 days. Unfortunately the date of his vote, the 15th of this month, is not outside of that limit and as such is illegal. I'm afraid I'm going to be forced to press charges.

Oh Lord, here we go again! Wink
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #821 on: April 16, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »

Ignorance of the facts is a valid defense in Atlasia, right?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #822 on: April 16, 2009, 04:27:39 PM »

I assume that this was a genuine mistake on Ben's part....indeed, it's something that people were worried about when that passed.

I didn't really expect someone to fall into that trap....voting accidently because they believed they had the right to vote.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #823 on: April 16, 2009, 04:29:37 PM »

With all due respect to Ben, he can count and should have known better. It's unfortunate that he (I believe) mistakenly did this, but it's clear he broke the law and that's something that I'm duty-bound to pursue.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #824 on: April 17, 2009, 01:10:18 AM »

With all due respect to Ben, he can count and should have known better. It's unfortunate that he (I believe) mistakenly did this, but it's clear he broke the law and that's something that I'm duty-bound to pursue.

But if you believe that it was an honest mistake, it makes little sense to pursue a case that's a surefire loss.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies