The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:14:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 194836 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: July 08, 2008, 03:29:32 AM »

The provisions removed did NOT support the law-breaking telecommunication companies.

Apologies. Silly mistake. Embarrassed
Corrected now.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #476 on: July 08, 2008, 04:26:42 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2008, 04:28:16 AM by Jas »

Duke does not seem to be in conflict, the SC ruled that the seat is vacant.  The seat will eventually be filled by a SE, but until then it is a vacant regional seat, something that is to be filled by the governor.  Personally, that is the part I do not understand about the ruling.  If Spade was ineligible to serve, Duke should be able to appoint someone for the full term.

The Court ruled that there was a vacancy and ruled on how the vacancy was to be filled - by election.
Whether that is right or wrong is irrelevant - it is the Court's ruling and only the Court itself can overrule it.
Duke has consciously chosen to ignore the ruling and make an appointment anyway.

It defies me how one can conclude that he hasn't conflicted with the judgment; nor how one can come to any conclusion but that your appointment is invalid in light of the Court's decision.

I don't believe that any of your votes in the Senate should be deemed valid; if a presiding officer of the Senate does count one of your votes, then I intend to challenge the decision and hopefully the Court will be able to resolve things properly.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #477 on: July 08, 2008, 09:54:23 AM »

Duke does not seem to be in conflict, the SC ruled that the seat is vacant.  The seat will eventually be filled by a SE, but until then it is a vacant regional seat, something that is to be filled by the governor.  Personally, that is the part I do not understand about the ruling.  If Spade was ineligible to serve, Duke should be able to appoint someone for the full term.

The Court ruled that there was a vacancy and ruled on how the vacancy was to be filled - by election.
Whether that is right or wrong is irrelevant - it is the Court's ruling and only the Court itself can overrule it.
Duke has consciously chosen to ignore the ruling and make an appointment anyway.

It defies me how one can conclude that he hasn't conflicted with the judgment; nor how one can come to any conclusion but that your appointment is invalid in light of the Court's decision.

I don't believe that any of your votes in the Senate should be deemed valid; if a presiding officer of the Senate does count one of your votes, then I intend to challenge the decision and hopefully the Court will be able to resolve things properly.

Hopefully we'll have a full court at that time.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #478 on: July 08, 2008, 12:11:57 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You might have a standing issue Jas, if DWTL's vote were not the deciding vote in enacting a law (if his vote was decisive, then you could challenge the law). An interesting case would be where DWTL's vote was decisive in not enacting a law, as to standing. But hey, maybe the concept of standing does not obtain in Atlasia. Everybody can sue everybody, with abandon. Tongue
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #479 on: July 08, 2008, 12:25:01 PM »

You might have a standing issue Jas, if DWTL's vote were not the deciding vote in enacting a law (if his vote was decisive, then you could challenge the law). An interesting case would be where DWTL's vote was decisive in not enacting a law, as to standing. But hey, maybe the concept of standing does not obtain in Atlasia. Everybody can sue everybody, with abandon. Tongue

You're quite right. The issue of standing is the only reason I've not brought the suit, yet.
However, the court's have given some latitute before on this issue.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #480 on: July 08, 2008, 12:28:36 PM »

The Examiner
8 July 2008

Trondheim Moves to Extend PR

Sen. Lewis Trondheim has introduced a constitutional amendment to end regional elections and institute a nationwide proportional representation vote for those Senate seats. Announcing his plan to the public, Sen. Trondheim pointed to the lack of regular competitive regional Senate elections and compared this with the recent competitive PR-STV election for the former district seats.

The motion has attracted widespread interest with significant debate as to the most appropriate form of PR. The strongest opponent of the proposal is ‘Senator’ DWTL who has denounced the plan as a plot to empanel a unanimously liberal Senate.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #481 on: July 08, 2008, 04:37:46 PM »

You're quite right. The issue of standing is the only reason I've not brought the suit, yet.
However, the court's have given some latitute before on this issue.

Previous courts, without much justification, have.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #482 on: July 08, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »

In the senate I will oppose the plan to expand PR. If this is passed the regions will have little if any power left and certain areas such as the NE would have greatly increased influence.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #483 on: July 08, 2008, 06:03:46 PM »

In the senate I will oppose the plan to expand PR. If this is passed the regions will have little if any power left and certain areas such as the NE would have greatly increased influence.

Regional seats have nothing to do with regional power (unless the regional senators are mere puppets of the regional government. And they aren't always that). The regions actually have a lot of power, it's just that they don't use it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #484 on: July 08, 2008, 06:04:07 PM »
« Edited: July 08, 2008, 06:21:33 PM by Torie »

Fellow Senator CK, is the thrust of your opposition, that less populated regions will lose senators, or that the regions should exist as separate government entities for other reasons?  I think having regions as entities just over the rainbow should exist so that there can be discussions about the limits of federal power, and litigation, and all of that good stuff. We need to keep the court busy. Tongue

Senator Trondheim, do we care as to whether of not the regions are functional, so long as the federal trains run on time?  Is the concern that they drain energy away from the center, which has only a marginal amount in its own right? Or is the concern that it makes amending the Constitution too difficult? Is it just about having rotten boroughs? Or something else?
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #485 on: July 09, 2008, 01:01:20 AM »

Fellow Senator CK, is the thrust of your opposition, that less populated regions will lose senators, or that the regions should exist as separate government entities for other reasons?  I think having regions as entities just over the rainbow should exist so that there can be discussions about the limits of federal power, and litigation, and all of that good stuff. We need to keep the court busy. Tongue

Senator Trondheim, do we care as to whether of not the regions are functional, so long as the federal trains run on time?  Is the concern that they drain energy away from the center, which has only a marginal amount in its own right? Or is the concern that it makes amending the Constitution too difficult? Is it just about having rotten boroughs? Or something else?

We need to make sure that there are representatives of the regions to make sure that every part of Atlasia is well-represented in Nyman and to make sure that the various concerns of the different areas of our country are adressed. I see this new legislation as a way to take away power from less-populated areas, also I like the idea of having smaller elections where you get to know the candidates better and you have a history following them (like you have a personal, regional representative where as national representatives can seem a little distanced since they in represent and ideology instead of an given population.)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #486 on: July 09, 2008, 04:29:21 AM »

We need to make sure that there are representatives of the regions to make sure that every part of Atlasia is well-represented in Nyman and to make sure that the various concerns of the different areas of our country are adressed. I see this new legislation as a way to take away power from less-populated areas, also I like the idea of having smaller elections where you get to know the candidates better and you have a history following them (like you have a personal, regional representative where as national representatives can seem a little distanced since they in represent and ideology instead of an given population.)
Seeing as I am a representative of the type you're hankering after... it's not all it's made out to be. Tongue
Senator Trondheim, do we care as to whether of not the regions are functional, so long as the federal trains run on time?
In principle, we do. But we care even more when the regions' dysfunctionality makes the federal trains go late. As is the case right now.

Basically, I'm just about ready to give up on fixing the regions. So it's time to look for ways to make the federal trains run on time without relying on the regions.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #487 on: July 09, 2008, 12:40:37 PM »

Is the delay associated with the regions due to not acting on Constitutional Amendments or what?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #488 on: July 09, 2008, 12:48:29 PM »

Is the delay associated with the regions due to not acting on Constitutional Amendments or what?

Part of the problem, too, is the lack of competition on the regional level in select places (for varying reasons).  The Northeast hasn't been competitive since Keystone Phil won a Senate race there over a year ago—blame that on a popular incumbent.  The Southeast had a similar problem, though Spade's eccentricities have made the elections more interesting.

The Midwest is a whole other problem.  While it did have a competitive Senate race four months ago (Hughento beat the incumbent, Speed of Sound), the population has since declined to eight (that's half the size of the next least populous region; almost a quarter of the most populous region).  And because of the nature of those involved, the region is incredibly friendly—any race there would be an exercise in virtual incest.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #489 on: July 09, 2008, 01:07:47 PM »

The Examiner
9 July 2008

Moderate Nominates AG and SoEA

President Moderate has announced his nominees for the remaining 2 cabinet positions. BrandonH is nominated for the post of Attorney General (a post he has held previously) and MasterJedi has been nominated to retain his post as Secretary of External Affairs.

The most ardent support for the nominations was from DWTL, who declared “I could not be harder with the choices”.

Foreign Policy Goals
The President also outlined his major foreign policy goals, specifically a referendum on Atlasia’s place in the world and the creation of coherent policies towards China, Zimbabwe and the Middle East. On finding an appropriate SOEA nominee, the President said:
The administration took pains to choose a nominee who has outlined a clear plan for accomplishing these goals. ... After questioning the applicants, [Masterjedi] stood out as the most compatible with the foreign policy goals of the administration, the most knowledgeable and realistic about the state of current affairs, and the most willing and eager to serve in the position for the next four months.

In his previous hearing, MasterJedi was confirmed with 3 Senators (Jake, Friz and Sam Spade) voting against or abstaining on the nomination. SoEA MasterJedi was reasonably active in his post though he may face critical questions on some of his actions (as he did while publishing his Foreign Policy Review) such as his decision to recognise Taiwan as independent and his condemning China for its litany of human rights abuses but refusing to apply or seek any diplomatic or trade restrictions – while nonetheless applying full diplomatic restrictions on smaller nations (e.g. Sierra Leone for reasons of corruption and freedom of the press).

The Senate hearings on the nominations are expected to begin shortly.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #490 on: July 09, 2008, 03:40:48 PM »

Part of the problem, too, is the lack of competition on the regional level in select places (for varying reasons).  The Northeast hasn't been competitive since Keystone Phil won a Senate race there over a year ago—blame that on a popular incumbent.  The Southeast had a similar problem, though Spade's eccentricities have made the elections more interesting.

The Midwest is a whole other problem.  While it did have a competitive Senate race four months ago (Hughento beat the incumbent, Speed of Sound), the population has since declined to eight (that's half the size of the next least populous region; almost a quarter of the most populous region).  And because of the nature of those involved, the region is incredibly friendly—any race there would be an exercise in virtual incest.
Ah, Phil's election last year Smiley.  Now that was a great time for Atlasia, I am proud to say I cast the deciding vote (well actually any of Phil's votes were).  MAS's support for Phil was surprising to say the least, but excitement.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #491 on: July 10, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »

The Examiner
10 July 2008

Jas v. Inks.LWC & Peter

Noted Atlasian curmudgeon and Examiner editor, Jas has lodged papers with the Supreme Court seeking injunctions against Inks.LWC from acting as the Interim SoFA and against Peter from acting as Attorney General. Jas claims that both Inks and Peter lost their standing in their respective positions at the beginning of the current Presidential term of Mr. Moderate and as such both should be prevented from taking any official actions, which would include the ongoing special Senate election in the Southeastern region.

President Mr. Moderate has asked the Court to dismiss the case, relying on the terms of the Deputy SoFA Act. The plaintiff has submitted to the Court the argument that the Act is unconstitutional by virtue of Article II, Section 1, Clause 4 of the Constitution, as it purports to allow elevation to the cabinet without the advice or consent of the Senate.

The President has also argued that without Inks and Peter acting in their respective roles “we run into serious continuity issues that endanger the stability of the country and infringe upon the rights of the Southeast […] to elected representation”. A claim rebutted by Jas as hyberbole.

The Court has yet to decide whether or not to take the case.

----

Southeast Special Senate Election

In related news, the Southeast Special Election is now into the official polling period, though an absentee booth had been in operation earlier in the week. DWTL currently leads the polling, but BaconKing has started to gain a competitive showing. The race remains to close to call.

DWTL: 3 [DWTL; AHDuke; SPC]
BaconKing: 2 [Josh22; John Dibble]
gporter: 1 [gporter]
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #492 on: July 10, 2008, 02:46:56 PM »

Currently Southeast tally is 4-4, BaconKing has 4 1st preference to my 3, Gporter's vote flows to me.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #493 on: July 11, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2008, 11:42:42 AM by Jas »

The Examiner
11 July 2008

EarlAW Replaces Inks as SoFA Nominee

SoFA nominee Inks.LWC has withdrawn his own nomination for SoFA when it apparently became clear that the nomination was on its way to a potentially heavy defeat. Prior to withdrawing, Inks’s strong feelings about the opposition he was facing were becoming more evident, particularly when he questioned the “mental capacity” of Senators who voted against him.

By the time of his stepping aside, 4 Senators (Meeker; Lewis Trondheim; Colin Wixted; Torie) had cast votes against the nomination. In a brief statement, the President thanked Inks for his service and accepted his withdrawal.

Earl Nominated
Sen. EarlAW has been nominated by the President to fill the void. According to the official White House statement:

With Atlasia's second general election to use PR-STV looming, the White House felt it important to nominate a Secretary of Forum Affairs who not only has experience in the accurate count of PR-STV ballots, but also has as much experience as logistically possible in running an election.

A small handful of people followed the April 08 PR-STV election and provided running totals, showing the crucial understanding of our electoral process needed by a SoFA.  Similarly, a small handful of people have run elections in Atlasia before.  Finding a willing candidate who represented the junction of both was difficult, but ultimately possible. 

Impressed by his record of running three consecutive and successful Progressive Primaries and his tallies of the April 2008 PR-STV vote, the President nominates Senator EarlAW (AUB-NY) to the position of Secretary of Forum Affairs.

President Moderate’s biggest cheerleader, ‘Senator’ DWTL has come out strongly in favour of the nomination.

----

Southeast Election Update

BaconKing has stormed into the lead in the Southeastern Special Senate election, winning the last 6 votes unanswered to take an absolute majority of votes cast so far and so becoming the favourite to win the election.

Bacon King: 6 [Josh22; John Dibble; Democratic Hawk; TCash101; Bacon King; MATCHUD]
DWTL: 3 [DWTL; AHDuke; SPC]
gporter: 1 [gporter]
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #494 on: July 12, 2008, 08:09:37 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2008, 08:13:43 AM by Jas »

The Examiner
12 July 2008

Polnut and Moderate Part Ways

The Examiner has learned that Polnut has ended his role as transitional press secretary with the Moderate administration.
Have you got your 'read between the lines'-o-meter switched on? Good.
In a statement released to The Examiner, he said:
"I agreed to come on as a transitional press secretary - there is no longer a transition. I wish the new administration the best of luck."
We don't often receive messages at The Examiner of this sort you know. It is a bit terse, isn't it. 'Why would someone go to the bother of letting you know that pleasant but bland statement?', I hear you ask.

In offering a response to the departure, President Moderate said:
"I greatly appreciate the work that Mr. Polnut did in assisting as Press Secretary through the transition period of my administration.  We parted ways on excellent terms and I look forward to working with him again in advancing our common interest in securing Atlasia's future."
'So, it's all sunshine and lollipops then', i here you say. I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you try and figure these things out on your own. Sorry! I've tried not to cross the line with this one.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #495 on: July 12, 2008, 10:24:25 AM »

More secret codes plz
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #496 on: July 12, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »

I hear that if you solve the codez you get a free medium iced coffee with purchase of a breakfast sandwich.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #497 on: July 13, 2008, 05:06:13 AM »

I hear that if you solve the codez you get a free medium iced coffee with purchase of a breakfast sandwich.
I also hear that the government's iced coffee is delicious, but it's breakfast sandwiches are horridly expensive, not to mention completely inedible and potentially fatal.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #498 on: July 13, 2008, 05:24:26 AM »
« Edited: July 13, 2008, 06:44:43 AM by Jas »

The Examiner
13 July 2008

No News Today
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #499 on: July 13, 2008, 03:45:15 PM »

The Examiner
13 July 2008

No News Today

I offered a great bill in the NE legislature today. Check it out.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies