The Examiner: Election Tracker
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:31:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Examiner: Election Tracker
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 80
Author Topic: The Examiner: Election Tracker  (Read 194154 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2008, 09:32:24 PM »

I don't like Masterjedi's imperialistic tendencies, but I see no reason to overtly vote Nay.  Henceforth, the Abstain.

Well, as I said it's impossible to do anything imperialistic without a GM so you had nothing to worry about. Not like I would try and get any countries at all, just the state of Pacifica. Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2008, 06:40:20 AM »
« Edited: March 17, 2008, 06:43:49 AM by Jas »

The Examiner
17 March 2008

Everett Quits!
Victor of the District 5 Special Election, Everett (JLC-PAC) has resigned her Senate seat and indicated her wish to leave Atlasia. Everett expressed displeasure at how she has attracted “accusatory fingers” from persons questioning her activity levels and clearly pointed the finger towards party politics in the Pacific region and “the intriguing voting habits of the Pacific Region”. Everett also revealed that she had been approached to run for the seat – it is understood that this would have been by a high ranking member of the JCP.

Everett thus joins the lengthening list of effective non-Senator Senators the JCP has sent to Nyman in recent times. The move though is likely to mean that the new SoFA, Mr. Moderate, will ask the JCP to fill the vacancy, per his interpretation of forum affairs law.

----

SoFA Moderate
Mr. Moderate has been confirmed by the Senate, by a vote of 6-0-3 and has sworn-in to office.

SoFA Moderate’s first act was to move to fill the vacancy arising from his move to the Department of Forum Affairs by giving notice to the head of the NLC, Sen. Verily that he intended to apply the provisions of the Proportional Representation Act giving the NLC 10 days to fill the vacancy. As Examiner readers will be aware, the legality regarding such vacancies has been the subject of disagreement between the incoming and outgoing SoFAs.

----

Confirmation Hearings

MAS seeks to “promote law and order”
Responding to a question, MAS has stated that his most important function as AG would be “to keep and promote law and order in Atlasia”. MAS commended the previous AG, Hashemite for “a thorough and ethical investigation into the Jessica Walterstein case” – which resulted in a conviction, later overturned on a procedural point, for voter fraud against now President Keystone Phil.

Masterjedi “imperialist”
Sam Spade has revealed that the reason for his abstention on the Masterjedi nomination is the nominee’s “imperialistic tendencies”. Masterjedi responded that in the absence of a GM this issue didn’t necessarily arise.

President Phil’s position on whether or not to reinstate a GM is unknown as he never touched on the subject during his campaign.

----

Senate Business

Senate amends OSPR
The Amendment to Article IV, Section1, Clause 8 of the OSPR (formerly the Legislative Sponsorship Assumption Act) has passed the Senate by a vote of 5-3-1. The measure alters Senate procedure regarding the sponsorship of legislation.

Senate to look at school standards
The School Standards Reform Bill has been introduced onto the Senate floor sponsored by Sen. Verily (NLC-NE). The bill seeks to address the absence of a national standard regarding “required fields of study for students in public schools” with the ambition of returning Atlasian education to “high international standards”.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2008, 04:58:57 PM »

YOU MEAN EVERETT DID NOT TAKE OFFICE THIS TIME EITHER
OMG WHAT A SHOCKER
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2008, 08:43:01 PM »

I don't like Masterjedi's imperialistic tendencies, but I see no reason to overtly vote Nay.  Henceforth, the Abstain.

Ditto, except I did.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »

The Examiner
18 March 2008

Trondheim leaves DoFA
In a wide-ranging statement as he left the Department of Forum Affairs, Lewis Trondheim congratulated his successor, Mr. Moderate and stated that he bore no grudges over anyone with regard to the replacement affair.

Clarification
Mr. Trondheim sought though to correct and clarify a number of issues that arose during the past few weeks. He reiterated the view that the SoFA is, and should remain, an apolitical position. That Presidential involvement in the Department should be guarded against and that indeed, he would be “back on the barricades right away” if this were to come about.

Lewis also expressed the view that the replacing of a competent sitting SoFA is not, and should not become, routine – going so far as to say that he would not hope to replace Mr. Moderate as SoFA in the future, provided he proves himself capable.

Lewis also challenged the President’s assertion that the replacement was proposed in a dignified manner, citing in particular the failure of the President to notify him of the intention to put in place a new Secretary. 

Presidential Response
President Phil accused Lewis of being insistent of “throwing a final few jabs” as he left office. In rather condescending terms, he described as a “very simple concept to grasp” that the SoFA was not a lifetime appointment going on to accuse Lewis of sarcasm in his statement and denying that he has lower standards of personal dignity than the outgoing Secretary before accusing Lewis of making things “bitter” with “negative, personal remarks”.

The president did though apologise for not giving early notice of his intention to replace Lewis as SoFA.

Legal Uncertainty
Lewis also raised the uncertainty surrounding the legal standing of cabinet members during the period while a new administration is formed. The Chief Justice, bullmoose, agreed that a statutory clarification could be in order.

----

bgwah says jump; CultureKing responds: ‘How high?’

Following Everett’s declaration that she would be quiting Atlasia, the new SoFA, Mr. Moderate gave notice to the leader of the JCP, bgwah, of his intention to fill the vacancy by way of the provisions under the Proportional Representation Act.

bgwah thence set about a JCP member drive with the offer of Senate seat made quite explicit. Very shortly thereafter, CultureKing left the PLP in favour of the JCP in a bid to be the JCP’s appointee to the seat. CultureKing attempted to publicly justify the move claiming that he shared the same ideology as the JCP. 

----

Gearing up for mid-term elections begins

Over the past day, 6 candidates have declared themselves in the running for the upcoming first ever PR-STV Senate elections. During his farewell remarks as SoFA, Lewis Trondheim became the first candidate to declare his intent to run.

PLP Vice Chair Xahar declared his candidacy and took upon himself the roll of rallying other PLPers into the race. Party Chairman Sensei and former Senator EarlAW subsequently signed up to run.

Rockefeller Republican, who had expressed his interest in the vacant District 2 seat of Mr. Moderate, entered the race as the first declared NLC candidate. Shortly thereafter, South Park Conservative also announced his entry – only 3 minutes after joining the NLC.

----

In Brief

Masterjedi confirmation assured
Despite concerns on the right over his imperialist tendancies, the confirmation of Masterjedi as SoEA has been assured with the Aye vote of Sen. afleitch (NLC-D3).
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2008, 11:48:21 AM »

The Examiner
19 March 2008

NLC look to Hashemite to fill District 2 Vacancy
Following the confirmation of Mr. Moderate as SoFA, it fell to the NLC to decide upon a replacement for the District 2 seat vacancy. Recently appointed Northeast Chief Judicial Officer, Hashemite declared his interest quickly. The move was followed by the powerful endorsement of Mr. Moderate himself.

Despite a tentative nomination for Rockefeller Republican from new member South Park Conservative – the nomination was rejected. A tide support in favour of Hashemite followed, leading to the appointment being made official by NLC Party Chair, Sen. Verily.

----

HappyWarrior to run for Senate
Mideast Governor HappyWarrior has announced his intention to seat a Senate seat for the PLP. He joins a growing list of PLP members hoping to capitalise on the upcoming nationwide Senate election. An Examiner interview with Governor HappyWarrior discussing his Governorship and Senate ambitions will be published following this issue.

Open Governorship will be Contested
Within hours of Gov. HappyWarrior’s announcement, two candidates put their names forward for the impending vacancy. Former Mideastern Governor Inks.LWC expressed his wish to deliver and protect the “happiness and safety of the great citizens of the Mideast”. Sitting Lt. Governor Ben Constine was also quick to enter the race, hoping to "continue the wonderful work" of outgoing Gov. HappyWarrior.

----

In Brief

Fmr. President Wixted considers return to Senate
The outgoing President has made known that he is contemplating a return to the Atlasian Senate. “Atlasia is never as interesting as when you are actually a part of the government”, the two-term President said today.

CultureKing (JCP-D5)
Following his firm rejection by the District 5 electorate in favour of a non-campaigning and absent person with no interest in the position, CultureKing was sworn-in as a Senator after pledging himself to the JCP. The Senator’s decision has not been met with universal acclaim.

Pacific officially condemns Midwestern “dictatorship”
By a vote of 4 to 1, the Pacific region formally issued it’s condemnation of the Midwestern administration, which it admonished as a “dictatorship” and demanded that democratic reforms be implemented.

Masterjedi begins term as SoEA
Following his Senate confirmation, incoming SoEA Masterjedi resigned his position as Mideast Superior Court Judge and announced his intentions to visit Liberia and Iraq before continuing work on the Foreign Policy Review, begun by his predecessor, Al.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »

The Examiner Interview
19 March 2008

In the first Examiner Interview, I spoke with sitting Mideastern Governor, HappyWarrior (PLP-ME) who has recently announced his intention to seek a Senate seat for the PLP in the upcoming PR-STV elections.

The Midwestern Governorship

How do you assess your tenure as Mideast Governor? What do you see as your biggest success and failure of your Governorship?

HW: Though I of course am not the absolute greatest governor my region has ever has, I feel that I have done as good a job as I possibly could especially considering my relative inexperience upon election.  I have also introduced some initiatives that I feel were wide reaching successes

Which initiative (or initiatives) you are most proud of?

HW: The Anti union busting initiative.  It was a great success for the working man in Atlasia.

On reflection is there anything you would have done differently?

HW: I would never have proposed the cloning or term limits acts, I see now that they were truly not what the Mideast was in need of.

What are the biggest challenges facing the next Mideastern Governor?

HW: Activity, just like always.  Activity levels are low in recent months, hopefully they can return to the levels they were at before I came here.

The Phil Administration

You recently expressed your approval of President Phil's job performance, what has impressed you about his work so far?

HW: Mostly his choices in his cabinet.  Mr. Moderate and I are old friends in Atlasia (I helped him in his first senate campaign) and also he has always been a moderate voice in the senate.  Though Lewis was a magnificent SoFA, I do not hold it against him that he employed Mr. Moderate in the position, after all the cabinet serves at the request of the president as it should.  MasterJedi is one of Atlasia's most respected and capable politicians as well as one of her most experienced.  Finally MAS had an excellent record as Governor of the Northeast as I'm sure he will as the incoming Attorney General.  The President has also managed to move past personal difference (as he did with MAS) to make his cabinet as strong as possible.

Are there any areas in particular where you would hope to work with the Keystone Phil administration?

HW: Not at the moment, I do not know any of the President's specific plans.

The Senate

Why do you want to be a Senator? What do you hope to achieve in the Senate?

HW: I hope to be a senator because I feel I will be able to bring youth and hope to the Senate.  But this is something that many of those running will also say.  Most of all I want to stand for a more moderate, multipartisan senate.  I have always tried to be moderate in my actions politically and stand up most of all for the little guy.  I hope to help with agricultural and worker reform (two of my "pet" issues) as well as equality for all Atlasians. (For instance making my regional mixed ethnicity proposal national.)

Could you go into a bit more detail about the agricultural and worker reform you suggest?

HW: Well I hope I can make my anti-union busting law national, as well as fix farming subsidies.

Can you give some idea on where you stand (and why) on the bills currently before the Senate? Are there any you feel particularly strongly about?

HW: Well the only one I feel particularly strong about is meekermariner's bill making the SOFA no longer nominated by the president.  I feel this is sheer foolishness and undermines the power of the president in his right to appoint his own cabinet.

The PLP

Your party, the PLP, has recently been characterised as a party of "annoying 13 year olds". How do you respond to this sort of criticism?

HW: Well as can be clearly seen from me (being 18) not all of our party is thirteen year olds.  They are as our chairman, Sensei said "Simply a wing of the party".  I feel that the reason our party attracts the youth of Atlasia is that we stand for hope and idealism for the future, things a young person can latch on to.  Not to say the other parties do not have idealists haha.

----

Any persons interested in being the subject of an Examiner Interview should contact the editor directly by PM.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2008, 10:38:48 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2008, 02:26:06 PM by Jas »

The Examiner
20 March 2008

Rockefeller Republican Campaign Difficulties
The campaign of Rockefeller Republican for a Senate seat has taken an early hit. The former Northeastern Lt. Governor has declared himself to be a NLC candidate for the upcoming April elections, but he has already received strong indications that he can’t depend on support from crucial areas. The former Vice Presidential candidate’s problems stem from his recent movement between the NLC and PLP and back to the NLC.

PLP Chairman Sensei, who picked RR to be his running mate in the last Presidential election, has declared that he won’t offer him a preference because he left the PLP. The incident may seem to have soured the good friendship that previously existed between the two.

Rocky’s switching has also raised issues with the NLC. Senior party member, SoFA Moderate has hit out at Rocky for disloyalty to the party, pointing to his failure to support NLC candidates in the past. Moderate concluded: “Straddling the line does you few favors.  If you're really not sure whether or not you want to be in the NLC, then please know I'll take that as a key factor when I decide whom to support in an April NLC Senate primary.  Reaching out across party lines for support is a good thing; throwing your current party under the bus to do so is not, at least to this voter.”

How much weight the comments of these leading party members will carry with their respective memberships is yet to be seen.

----

Masterjedi Returns to Favourite Subject
Long-standing Atlasians who recall the service of SoEA Masterjedi in the Senate will not be surprised by the Secretary’s proposals announced yesterday. During the 13th and 14th Senates, Masterjedi put forward a raft of free trade bills which led to frustration for some who believed free trade matters were clogging up the Senate.

The Secretary has submitted two more such bills to be put on the Senate agenda: an Atlaisan-Africa Free Trade Bill and an Atlasia-Iraq Free Trade Bill.

Masterjedi explained that he believed the African Free Trade Bill “can really help the development of Africa”, and that this would be a better focus for the Senate than “proping up failing industries in Atlasia”. As of yet, neither bill has been formally introduced by any Senator onto the legislative agenda.

----

In the Senate

MAS nomination at vote
The nomination of MAS117 as Attorney General is now at vote. Questions of competence have hung over the candidate and this is expected to be the tightest vote of the 3 cabinet nominations. Sen. Jake (i-D4) has registered his vote against the nomination.

Drug Reform
The Comprehensive Drug Reform Bill of 2007 has reached final vote. The bill proposed the decriminalisation the use of many previously banned substances, though maintains the ban on sale or underage use of same. The bill also proposes the establishment of safe injection sites and seeks to insert a ‘Good Samaritan provision’ provision into the law whereby persons suffering health problems due to drug use may not face arrest in seeking medical attention.

Tally (as of going to print):
Aye: 2 (Verily; friz)
Nay: 2 (Jake; CultureKing)
Abstain: 1 (hughento)

Renewable Energy
The Senate is set to pass the Amendment to the National Energy Act. The measure seeks to enforce a change in Atlasian energy policy such that renewable energy power plants shall be favoured in future and setting a target that all federal buildings should be powered from fully renewable sources by January 2010.

Tally (as of going to print)
Aye: 6 (Verily; Moderate; Afleitch; Bacon King; CultureKing; meekermariner)
Nay: 1 (Jake)
Abstain: 1 (hughento)

----

NE Gov accepting applications for CJO
Following the appointment of Hashemite to the vacant District 2 Senate seat, Northeastern Governor AndrewCT has put a call out for interested parties for the position of Northeastern Chief Judicial Officer.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2008, 10:42:07 AM »

The Examiner Interview
20 March 2008

For our second Examiner Interview, I spoke with Mideast Lt. Governor Ben Constine (PLP-ME) who recently declared himself a candidate for the Governorship.

The Governorship

What do you hope to achieve as Mideastern Governor? Do you have any legislative priorities? What do you offer that makes you the best candidate?

BC: My number 1 priority as Governor will be to increase voter turnout in the Mideast, which has been on the downturn recently.  I want to get Mideasterners excited about their Government again.  My major legislative priority will be to pass the Cloning Act of 2008, which I supported and still do.

What is your plan for achieving increased voter turnout and getting Mideasterners "excited again"?

BC: My major plan for increasing voter turnout is to have a comprehensive GOTV, which will be spearheaded by either myself or the Lt. Governor, where we will send a PM to every voter in the Mideast prior to an election, urging them to vote.  I plan on getting voters excited by establishing a bulletin for the Mideast, in which all Mideast news will be posted by either myself or the Lt. Governor.

Why do you place such high value in passing your proposed Cloning Act and what has changed that will allow you to get it passed this time out?

BC: I feel that by restricting cloning, we are impeding science, and preventing science from making potentially groundbreaking discoveries.  I feel that the basic idea has support in the Mideast, and I’m hoping that, with some rewording, the Cloning Act can be passed.

The HappyWarrior Administration

How do you assess the Governorship of HappyWarrior? What have been its notable successes and failings?

BC: Overall, the HappyWarrior administration was a rousing success, notably the Anti Union Busting Act, as well as the Cleanup the Chesapeake Bay Act.  In my opinion, the only major failing was the inability to pass the Cloning Act, which, as I said earlier, I will attempt to pass.

The PLP

With 4 PLP candidates stepping forward so far, how many seats do you feel the PLP should win in order to be satisfied with its performance?

BC: I feel that the PLP should only be satisfied if it is able to gain at least 2 seats without losing any seats.  If we can return Sensei to the Senate, that would also be a great victory.

Your party, the PLP, has been criticised as a party full of "annoying 13 year olds". What are your opinions on the direction of the PLP, it's appeal to voters and how do you respond to the preceeding criticism?

BC: I am very pleased with the direction of the PLP, and I feel that having so many new voters join us indicates our continuing appeal.  On the matter of being called a party full of "annoying 13 year olds": If I recall correctly, that statement was made by someone who has been engaged in a feud not only with myself but also with the Vice Chairman of the PLP, so it cannot be entirely trusted.  Also, even if it were said by an unbiased speaker, it is not true.  While there is a strong youth component of the PLP, there is an equally strong component of the PLP with a large amount of experience.  Although the departure of Polnut did weaken us slightly, we still have a two term Governor, as well Sensei, who served 2 terms in the Senate, Speed of Sound, who served 2 terms in the Senate, and Meekermariner, who is in his first term in the Senate.

How do you react to the departure of CultureKing from the PLP to the JCP, simply in order to gain a Senate appointment?

BC: Although I am disappointed, it is entirely his decision.  I hope, however, that one day it will not be necessary for someone to belong to the JCP in order to advance in the Pacific, and that one day the Pacific will be a multi-party region, in which candidates like CultureKing and Xahar can run on a PLP ticket and win.

And finally…

It has been suggested that you may be a "PINO" or Progressive In Name Only. How would you respond to such remarks?

BC: I object to being called a PINO, and I would appreciate it if someone could actually give reasons as to why they feel that way.  I consider myself a Progressive, and until someone comes along to justify another view, that is how I would like the public to view me.

Why did you decide to run for the Governorship instead of the Senate?

BC: I had originally planned to run for the Senate, but when I saw the HappyWarrior had decided to run, as had Sensei, I decided to run for Governor to keep the Mideast in PLP leadership.

----

Any persons interested in being the subject of an Examiner Interview should contact the editor directly by PM.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2008, 03:11:46 PM »

Thank you for completly leaving out the part where I said we should retrain Atlasian workers with Government money who lose their jobs so they have new skills and can still provide for themselves and their families. Roll Eyes
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #85 on: March 20, 2008, 03:18:15 PM »

for the record, there is no animosity between me and Rocky.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #86 on: March 20, 2008, 09:30:31 PM »

Thank you for completly leaving out the part where I said we should retrain Atlasian workers with Government money who lose their jobs so they have new skills and can still provide for themselves and their families. Roll Eyes

Sounds like he did you a favor by excluding that part. Cheesy
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2008, 04:55:10 AM »

Well ok...
I'm not in the habit of reporting everything that is said, only what I think is salient.

I'm not sure why you'd think that leaving out reporting of that part is bad for you though, its attesting to potential negative effects of the FTAs and making suggestions which might help to deal with them which are beyond your portfolio.

I'm not trying to hide anything, your post was made publicly available to all and indeed, anyone so inclined can link from my article to read your full statement. And of course you're free to trumpet whatever you like about your proposals. At the end of the day, this paper will only be, indeed can only be, the news in Atlasia as I see it, reflecting my own interests and reflections - and I just didn't think that statement was particularly noteworthy.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2008, 02:07:35 PM »

The Examiner
21 March 2008

MAS Confirmation Hearing: Senators eerily quiet
Atlasia’s Senators are proving very hesitant to pass judgment on the nomination of MAS117 for Attorney General. Since the Nay vote of Sen. Jake, as reported yesterday, only Sen. friz (JCP-PAC) has voted – also deciding to reject the nomination.

MAS has responded strongly to both votes, declaring that he believes his “record of Government service in Atlasia speaks for itself” and describing any claims that he lack competence as “just ridiculous”. He went on to describe the Senate’s role in these matters as “advice and consent on the President’s nominations”.

The nomination discussion has since seen a notable divide in expressed opinion – with former Secretaries Al and Lewis Trondheim expressing disapproval of the nomination; while SoFA Moderate and Gov. AndrewCT speaking in favour. The fate of the nomination is still very much uncertain.

----

Examiner Poll: Gubernatorial Approval
Voters across Atlasia appear to be broadly satisfied with their regional administrations according to the latest data from Examiner Polling. Response rates varied across Atlasia, with particularly low samples in the Pacific and Southeast regions, however it seems clear that most voters approve of their Governors. No voter registered a strongly disapprove against any Governor, while every Governor has so far registered precisely 1 ‘Disapprove’. Taken collectively, the following results are observed:

Net Governor Approval
Strongly approve: 40%
Approve: 26.7%
Neither approve nor disapprove: 16.7%
Disapprove: 16.7%
Strongly disapprove: 0%

Net approval: 50%
Median voter: Approve

----

Pacific Lt. Governor Election
Polling has opened in the Pacific to fill the office formerly occupied by Everett. The only declared candidate, Xahar (PLP-PAC) is coming off defeat in the recent Pacific run-off election. Despite his lack of opposition, it’s very unclear just what prospects Xahar has at being elected. The strength of the JCP in the region has been well documented in this paper and, as yet, no JCP voter has cast a ballot.

----

Mideast Gubernatorial Polling; Legislative Voting
Latest polling in the Mideast indicates that the upcoming gubernatorial race between former Governor Inks.LWC (-ME) and Sitting Lt. Governor Ben Constine (PLP-ME) will be very close. As of going to press, support for both candidates is exactly equal, though there remain undecided voters to try and appeal to. 

Legislation
Two matters are up for vote in the Mideast. The Mixed Parentage Act proposes to make ‘mixed’ a valid ethnicity for official government purposes. The measure has so far received unanimous support. The Healthy Youth Act, proposed by Sen. Meekermariner, sets down official policies on physical education; sexual education; school meals; campus vending machines; and artistic education. As of going to press, the proposal was on course to pass, but with the disapproval of the Mideastern right.

----

Other Regional Votes
This weekend, voting is also being conducted on proposed legislation in the Northeastern and Southeastern regions.

Northeast
The Land Value Tax Initiative, submitted by Ernest, motioned such that no consideration should be given to improvements made to property in assessing property taxes on real estate. At present the initiative is being defeated, but the tallies are very close. 

The Predatory Lending Prohibition Act, put forward by SoFA Moderate, seeks to limit charges payable on credit cards and related debt; and put in place a measure to ensure consumers are fully aware of the nature of adjustable rate mortgages. Also Chief Justice bullmoose has submitted the Northeast Evidence Act which would allow the adoption of the USA Federal Rules of Evidence into Northeastern law. Both measures seem set to pass.

Southeast
Voting has also just opened in the Southeast on two measures the Free Range Prison Initiative (as reported in The Examiner, 8 March) and former Lt. Governor Willy Woz’s Southeast Abortion Initiative (No. 2).
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2008, 02:12:05 PM »

The Examiner Interview
21 March 2008

For today's Examiner Interview, I spoke with PLP Vice-Chair Xahar (PLP-PAC).

Senate Campaign
You've seemed very eager to get your Senate campaign underway, why is it that you want a Senate seat?

X: I want a Senate seat because I think that I can provide a progressive voice in the Senate. When I say progressive, I mean innovative, inventive. As Altasia knows, I have no shortage of ideas.

What are the issues that matter to you and what do you want to put on the Senate's agenda?

X: I would like to propose a bill requiring the UN to reform to recieve funding from Atlasia. My somewhat inactive friend, Cookies and Milk, originally came up with this idea during his Senate run, and I think that it is an idea worth taking a long look at. Of particular importance to me is economics; I would vote against any free trade bills or any bills promoting regressive taxation.

Prospects
How do you rate your chances of success in the election?

X: I think that I have a very good chance of being elected. The PLP stands to pick up a fair number of seats under the new system.

As the PLP Vice Chair and someone who has taken the lead in organising the PLP's Senate campaign - what would you view as the benchmark for an acceptable result in the upcoming elections?

X: I fully expect two seats, and three seats is our goal.

The PLP
Your recent defeat in the Pacific Senate run-off election has largely been put down to problems with your attitude and a perceived sense of arrogance. This may be related to the recent characterisation of the PLP as being dominated by "annoying 13 year olds". How do you react to this sort of criticism?

X: Obviously, it's not true, since I'm the only 13-year-old in the PLP. [laughs] But I think that my behavior was jumping the gun. I realize that voters aren't automatons who do whatever you want them to. To those who criticize myself and the party in this way, I ask, "What is the harm?" Beggars can't be choosers, and though ageism was possible in the "glory days", it certainly isn't any more, not when it runs the risk of losing several active, enthusiastic Atlasians.

Recently CultureKing also lost an election to an inactive JCP member but responded by joining the JCP in order to gain a Senate seat. What is your opinion on the move and do you think the move reflects poorly on the PLP?

X: I don't condone the decision, which smacks of opportunism. I think we can all agree that that was what it was. I think this reflects on not only the PLP, but all the parties. There needs to be a credible opposition to the JCP, for democracy's sake. The JCP has turned the Pacific into the second-most stagnant region in Atlasia, behind only the Southeast.

PLP Chairman Sensei has indicated he will not be preferencing Rockefeller Republican in the upcoming election because of his departure from the PLP. What is your take on this?

X: I intend to preference every candidate. Whether high or low is a different question. Conor Flynn is a good friend of mine, though I think Mr. Moderate's revelations have destroyed any chance of him gaining a Senate seat. I can't comment any further, unfortunately, due to a confidential discussion we had.

----

Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2008, 02:18:31 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This was a misunderstanding of something I said, and is false.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »

LOL, what a clueless clown.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2008, 03:21:32 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as to call Xahar a clown, but has he seen the Pacific legislature lately? 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2008, 05:42:31 PM »

I wouldn't go as far as to call Xahar a clown, but has he seen the Pacific legislature lately? 

I have. In fact, I proposed a bill there. It was the only one that failed, showing that the legislature continues to be a JCP rubber-stamp.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2008, 06:07:49 PM »

Funny, I actually consider the Pacific legislature to be one of the best, second now perhaps to the Northeastern one.

Even if it does nothing but regularly dispatch pure liquified crazy, at least it's doing something.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2008, 06:40:23 PM »

Funny, I actually consider the Pacific legislature to be one of the best, second now perhaps to the Northeastern one.

Even if it does nothing but regularly dispatch pure liquified crazy, at least it's doing something.
but its anything but stagnant.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2008, 06:44:14 PM »

Remove bgwah and the region would barely register any activity. The region is stagnant, it's Governor is not. Unfortunately, the Governor seems quite happy with the stagnancy; and indeed, with exporting it regularly to the Senate.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2008, 11:24:16 PM »

Remove bgwah and the region would barely register any activity. The region is stagnant, it's Governor is not. Unfortunately, the Governor seems quite happy with the stagnancy; and indeed, with exporting it regularly to the Senate.

wow, thanks I feel the love...           Wink
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #98 on: March 22, 2008, 07:07:16 AM »

wow, thanks I feel the love...           Wink

Maybe that's what happen when you act like David Emerson. Wink
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2008, 07:26:02 AM »

wow, thanks I feel the love...           Wink

In fairness to you CK, I'm sure you may well be an active and engaged Senator - however you were only chosen when the Governor ran out of other options and because you very conveniently switched party allegiance to help him out. Though it doesn't demonstrate stagnancy, it doesn't necessarily reflect all that positively otherwise.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies