when will Texas be winnable for Democrats?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:30:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  when will Texas be winnable for Democrats?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: when will Texas be winnable for Democrats?  (Read 10501 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 23, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »

when will Texas be winnable for Democrats?  (in Presidential elections)

it should be sooner rather than later - I seem to recall the state is majority-minority now by a slim margin (not sure if that counts undocumenteds or not) and if the GOP continues to use immigration as a wedge issue...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 06:49:00 PM »

It would be now if Hispanic turnout wasn't absolutely wretched, so who knows.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 06:57:03 PM »

sort of true but Kerry only got around 54% of the Hispanic vote nationwide IIRC so it's not a solid a bloc as we think of it / as it should be.  and Obama being black make prevent him from approaching Gore numbers (which was around 60%; plus McCain isn't a wingnut on immigration.  he'll do considerably better among Hispanics than Romney would have.)  but if the GOP keeps moving right on immigration it is only logical that the Hispanic bloc would begin to move away from them.

the other argument is that Hispanics will be viewed as 'White' within the next few decades, much as Irish and Italians were not considered white way back during the immigration waves but were assimilated.  that's why this debate should be interesting.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 07:14:07 PM »

sort of true but Kerry only got around 54% of the Hispanic vote nationwide IIRC so it's not a solid a bloc as we think of it / as it should be.  and Obama being black make prevent him from approaching Gore numbers (which was around 60%; plus McCain isn't a wingnut on immigration.  he'll do considerably better among Hispanics than Romney would have.)  but if the GOP keeps moving right on immigration it is only logical that the Hispanic bloc would begin to move away from them.

the other argument is that Hispanics will be viewed as 'White' within the next few decades, much as Irish and Italians were not considered white way back during the immigration waves but were assimilated.  that's why this debate should be interesting.
I doubt Hispanics will ever be viewed as White. Hispanics are much different from Americans culturally, than Irish and Italians were. Spanish will always be spoken as a second language, while Italian and Gaelic slowly died out.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2008, 07:49:56 PM »

I doubt Hispanics will ever be viewed as White. Hispanics are much different from Americans culturally, than Irish and Italians were. Spanish will always be spoken as a second language, while Italian and Gaelic slowly died out.

I tend to disagree as many Hispanics view themselves as whites and they share many characteristics with earlier immigrant groups from Europe. In addition English as as a linguistic force especailly in the United States is much too powerful a force to overcome along with the fact that many if not most Latinos desire an English education and a desire to learn the English  language. Although I do think that Latinos in urban areas will become more bilingual then their counterparts in suburban and rural areas and will be quite simlier to Italian or Eastern European communities in urban areas over time.             
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008, 08:24:49 PM »

I tend to disagree as many Hispanics view themselves as whites and they share many characteristics with earlier immigrant groups from Europe. In addition English as as a linguistic force especailly in the United States is much too powerful a force to overcome along with the fact that many if not most Latinos desire an English education and a desire to learn the English  language. Although I do think that Latinos in urban areas will become more bilingual then their counterparts in suburban and rural areas and will be quite simlier to Italian or Eastern European communities in urban areas over time.             
Well they do share some characteristics, but they will stay much more Hispanic than Italians stayed Italian just because they are a bigger group and have good contact with family. I think that almost all Hispanics will be bilingual even in 2100, or so. This is certainly not true of Italians. Sure they will assimilate, but not to the extent than earlier Europeans did.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »

Um, not really. Italians are medditeranean/latins and refused to assimilate fully for a few generations. Latins are doing the same but unlike the Italians, anti-catholicism is MUCH WEAKER than then, intermarriage is far more acceptable so it's more possible to assimilate. I'm middle class, speak only english and yet I'm somehow not white because of having a spanish last name? *facepalm*
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 02:13:01 AM »

Well they do share some characteristics, but they will stay much more Hispanic than Italians stayed Italian just because they are a bigger group and have good contact with family. I think that almost all Hispanics will be bilingual even in 2100, or so. This is certainly not true of Italians. Sure they will assimilate, but not to the extent than earlier Europeans did.

I think you are underestimating the power of assimilation.  Even Obama and Clinton acknowledged the need for immigrants to learn English in the last debate.  Once we get some sort of meaningful immigration reform I would expect there to be more pressure from both government and society for immigrants to assimilate.  If we can get immigration under control within the next president's first term I would expect almost full assimilation (including loss of familial ties and native language) to be gone within two generations.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 04:03:03 AM »

Well, just to put a number on it, lets say 2016.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »

If Hispanic turnout was higher (and keep in mind a certain % of Texas Hispanics can't vote period, as illegals), then it might be enough to push an exceptionally strong candidate over the line, but that's about it.

One of the problems with Democrats using the Hispanic vote in Texas to make gains recently is that Republicans simply perform much stronger among these voters (esp. the rural and suburban ones) than they did even as short of a time ago as the 1980s.  Oddly enough, 2006 was not really an exception to this, go figure (unless you want to consider 2004 the rule, and I wouldn't).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »

So, the Democrat's hopes are for Hispanics to turn out. The Republicans hope that these Hispanics become more white-washed.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 02:07:03 PM »

I think Obama puts just about every state in play, so I'll say 2008. Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 02:18:10 PM »

2012. If the Republicans nominate a terrible candidate. If the Democrats move away from libertarianism, I could see TX as a swing state in the 2020s.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 04:04:46 PM »

If and when you can get Latino turnout anywhere near their black counterparts.  And even then it's iffy. 
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 04:41:31 PM »

I think you are underestimating the power of assimilation.  Even Obama and Clinton acknowledged the need for immigrants to learn English in the last debate.  Once we get some sort of meaningful immigration reform I would expect there to be more pressure from both government and society for immigrants to assimilate.  If we can get immigration under control within the next president's first term I would expect almost full assimilation (including loss of familial ties and native language) to be gone within two generations.
No way. Hispanics will not loose Family Ties, in the 21st Century. I might see a reduction in the use of Native Language as early as 2040, but I do not think they will loose small parts of their culture, and Hispanics will still be much different from Italians. Remember it took two wars, to strip America of its German heritage in the Midwest, Plains and Texas.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 06:18:56 PM »

When only Austin is allowed to vote...

In all seriousness the GOP approach to immigration may play a big role.  McCain may ease some of the problems the GOP is set to have with the Hispanic vote somewhat, however if the GOP as a whole continues its current immigration platform, the Hispanic vote will be even stronger for the Dems than it was in 06 & prior to the gains Bush had and perhaps make the state competitive by 2016 or so.  It still wouldn't be a Democratic state and would be GOP leaning, but a state the Dems could win with a 5 point or so national win by then.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37:42 PM »

When only Austin is allowed to vote...

In all seriousness the GOP approach to immigration may play a big role.  McCain may ease some of the problems the GOP is set to have with the Hispanic vote somewhat, however if the GOP as a whole continues its current immigration platform, the Hispanic vote will be even stronger for the Dems than it was in 06 & prior to the gains Bush had and perhaps make the state competitive by 2016 or so.  It still wouldn't be a Democratic state and would be GOP leaning, but a state the Dems could win with a 5 point or so national win by then.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »

My predictions for 2008:

TEXAS -
56% (R) McCain
42% (D) Obama

TEXAS SENATE -
54% (R) Cornyn
43% (D) Noriega
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 12:37:34 PM »

If only I knew this much about Texas' future.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 01:21:10 PM »

Doesn't see why they would keep Spanish around. I know plenty of third-generation Puerto Rican and Mexican immigrants around here who only know what Spanish they learned in high school. The language is only retained when they live in Spanish-only ghettos in places like Texas and California.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »

A landslide Democratic victory would pull in Texas. Remember that Bush had the home state advantage factor inflating GOP numbers....I'd say the Dem would win it if they win by 12-14 points nationally.

If Obama has a strong first term and is popular, I could see him winning Texas in 2012, depending on who the GOP nominee is, of course. 2008 is out of the question though Obama could get within 7-8 points of McCain in Texas in the best case scenario.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 05:18:15 PM »

Doesn't see why they would keep Spanish around. I know plenty of third-generation Puerto Rican and Mexican immigrants around here who only know what Spanish they learned in high school. The language is only retained when they live in Spanish-only ghettos in places like Texas and California.

NYC, in my experience, has a greater amount of ghettoization of minority groups than Texas (having lived in the Texas barrio and traversed the NYC one).  I can't speak to Jersey. 

The first-generation (not second or third-generation) Hispanics in the Texas barrio have to learn to partially communicate in English in order to be able to get jobs and advance in life.  Their children (when born in the US) are highly effective translators.  Once we get to third generation, they speak English as good as most Texans do.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 06:04:41 PM »

By 2020, it should be competitive but lean GOP, like NC is now.  By 2032, I could see it becoming Virginia, with the Democrats having a chance to win.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »

I don't know when exactly but it showing signs that it could be competitive sometime in the future. I'm not going to stupidly say 2032 or whatnot because there is no way we know what the country will be like in 25 years.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 09:46:18 PM »

I don't know when exactly but it showing signs that it could be competitive sometime in the future. I'm not going to stupidly say 2032 or whatnot because there is no way we know what the country will be like in 25 years.

Ouch.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies