UST gallup Clinton leads Obama
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:59:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  UST gallup Clinton leads Obama
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: UST gallup Clinton leads Obama  (Read 2484 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »

Clinton    45%
Obama    44%

http://www.gallup.com/poll/104488/Gallup-Daily-Tracking-Election-2008.aspx
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 03:42:43 PM »

Misleading header.

+1 = statistical tie, not a lead
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 04:33:09 PM »

lol Quincy is still around with his misleading thread titles?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »

What is misleading? Sure, it's basically a tie but 45 > 44. Surely you guys don't want to CHANGE basic math, right?  Tongue
elcorazon

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 05:15:28 PM »

i agree with phil.

i'm fed up with the "statistical tie" bull in the media and the silly "keith number" that olbermann created.  the truth is that if a candidate leads by 2 points in a poll with a 3% moe, the poll has him ahead.  he COULD be trailing and the poll knows it, but odds are significant that he is ahead.  Sure, you have to know what you're dealing with, but I'd be more concerned with poll quality than with whether the race is "within the margin of error".  that's more misleading than the polls themselves.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 05:17:17 PM »

I'm not complaining that it's untrue, but that it's misleading.  "Clinton with razor thin lead over Obama" would be much better, or "Clinton barely leads Obama" or something.  Just-plain "leads" makes me expect a pretty solid margin, when I'm browsing through poll topics.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »

I'm not complaining that it's untrue, but that it's misleading.  "Clinton with razor thin lead over Obama" would be much better, or "Clinton barely leads Obama" or something.  Just-plain "leads" makes me expect a pretty solid margin, when I'm browsing through poll topics.

I don't think that makes it misleading. I think you are just assuming too much.  Tongue
elcorazon

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 05:20:43 PM »

still, given the momentum of obama and the fact that polls are starting to give him the lead, the fact that this poll has clinton ahead is notable.

i don't have a problem with the header.  or at least compared to many others, i think it's pretty reasonable.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 05:22:08 PM »

Why not name the thread?:

"USAT/Gallup national: Clinton 45%, Obama 44%"

Then it's absolutely clear what the story is.  Or even "USAT/Gallup national: Clinton leads Obama by 1".  If everyone named their threads that way, life would be a lot easier.
elcorazon

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 05:27:22 PM »

Then it's absolutely clear what the story is.  Or even "USAT/Gallup national: Clinton leads Obama by 1".  If everyone named their threads that way, life would be a lot easier.

agreed.

that thread titled "clinton's lead collapsing" is totally misleading (never mind the poor poll it's based on).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 05:28:27 PM »

Exactly - thank you.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 04:10:43 AM »

More to the point, although its close, his support has steadily dropped over the past 4 days. Effects of Michelle Obama's 'first time proud' comment and the plagiarism charge?
Trilobyte

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 12:10:20 PM »

Rasmussen's tracking poll also has Clinton inching up in recent days. Today it shows the two within one point of each other, Obama 44 to Clinton 43.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »

Rasmussen's tracking poll also has Clinton inching up in recent days. Today it shows the two within one point of each other, Obama 44 to Clinton 43.

And Gallup now has Obama ahead by two. All this tells us is that such fluctuations are useless MoE fluff.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 04:50:34 AM »

More to the point, although its close, his support has steadily dropped over the past 4 days. Effects of Michelle Obama's 'first time proud' comment and the plagiarism charge?

And where have you seen evidence of this? Thats news to me
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2008, 08:52:04 AM »

neither have I, but some people claimed Clinton was gaining on him in Wisconsin too...
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »

Well, the graph here - http://www.gallup.com/poll/104488/Gallup-Daily-Tracking-Election-2008.aspx - shows Obama improving or tieing his numbers from the previous day on 11 out of 12 days from Feb 5th to Feb 17th, to a high of 49%. Over the same period Clinton's number have decreased or tied for 10 of those 12 days to a low of 42%. So I wondered what could be behind the tightening of numbers for the three days since, and lets face it, some of the attacks on Obama have started sticking.
Trilobyte

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2008, 11:11:51 PM »

It's about time for an update. Since the last post Clinton has moved ahead in both the Gallup and Rasmussen tracking polls. She had been behind for almost three weeks before the recent gains.

Gallup: Clinton 48-44
Rasmussen: Clinton 48-43

We should see over the coming days whether Clinton gets a bounce from her victories last night.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies