Immigrant Population at Record Levels
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:00:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Immigrant Population at Record Levels
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Immigrant Population at Record Levels  (Read 4685 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 11, 2008, 10:12:10 PM »
« edited: February 11, 2008, 10:18:56 PM by Frodo »

U.S. Latino Population Projected To Soar;
Forecast Predicts Tripling by 2050

By N.C. Aizenman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 12, 2008; Page A03

The number of Hispanics in the United States will triple by 2050 and represent nearly 30 percent of the population if current trends continue, according to a report released yesterday.

The study by the nonpartisan, Washington-based Pew Research Center also found that nearly one in five Americans will be foreign-born in 2050, compared with about one in eight today. Asian Americans, representing 5 percent of the population today, are expected to boost their share to 9 percent.

Blacks are projected to maintain their current 13 percent share. Non-Hispanic whites will still be the nation's largest group, but they will drop from 67 percent of U.S. residents to 47 percent.

Overall, the U.S. population is projected to increase by 47 percent from 296 million in 2005 to 438 million by 2050, with newly arriving immigrants accounting for 47 percent of the rise, and their U.S.-born children and grandchildren representing another 35 percent.

Authors of the study, which roughly tracks similar analyses by the Census Bureau and other sources, cautioned that their findings are projections based on immigration and demographic trends that may change.

Nonetheless, the report offers an intriguing picture of the possible long-term effects of the immigration surge that began after 1965, when Congress abolished a quota system that had nearly ended immigration from non-European countries since the 1920s.

Because of a declining birthrate among U.S.-born women, immigrants and their U.S.-born children and grandchildren already account for most of the nation's population increase over the last several decades. The study projects that by 2025, the foreign-born share of the population will surpass the peak recorded during the wave of immigration that occurred between 1860 and 1920, when foreign-born residents represented as much as 15 percent of the U.S. population.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:43:57 PM »

Cool. We need more diversity.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 11:39:42 PM »

Because we know immigration trends never change. All those Puritans and Huguenots pouring in every day.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 11:45:53 PM »

Me too. I just don't want to deport Illegal Immigrants. Building a fence is fine with me as long as we higher legalized immigration.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 12:20:15 AM »

We need more Asian immigrants IMO.  I read somewhere that a voting bloc or minority doesn't really have any influence until they make up 10% of the electorate and I think a little Eastern influence would be good for our nation's diversity.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:49:47 AM »

Me too. I just don't want to deport Illegal Immigrants. Building a fence is fine with me as long as we higher legalized immigration.

We need more Asian immigrants IMO.  I read somewhere that a voting bloc or minority doesn't really have any influence until they make up 10% of the electorate and I think a little Eastern influence would be good for our nation's diversity.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 03:19:13 AM »

We're the only Country in the Developed World with an above-replacement level birth rate. This shows that we are hopeful and optimistic about the future. These new immigrants will invigorate our society the way the Ellis Island immigrants did 100 years ago.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 10:38:06 PM »

I'm all for diversity if its acquired legally.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 11:00:07 PM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 01:40:31 AM »

We're the only Country in the Developed World with an above-replacement level birth rate. This shows that we are hopeful and optimistic about the future. These new immigrants will invigorate our society the way the Ellis Island immigrants did 100 years ago.

Yeah.
Jaggerjack
Fabian_the_Fastman
Thailand

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 04:44:23 PM »

lol i remember reading a thread like this in city-data... and it was invaded by white supremacists  ranting on about how much they hate latinos and asians and "95% of world achievements coming from europeans" -.-
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 05:36:45 PM »

In 2050, Latinos will be mostly indistinguishable from whites. Heck, even blacks are becoming white. Just look at Obama. Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2008, 05:38:26 PM »

By 2050, many of these Asians and Hispanics will have been assimilated into the white community like the Italians/Irish/etc.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »

By 2050, many of these Asians and Hispanics will have been assimilated into the white community like the Italians/Irish/etc.

I would hope so. 

By 2050 (or the early 22nd century), I fully expect that the next great waves of immigrants would come from either sub-Saharan Africa [if the population recovers enough from the Red Plague (HIV-AIDS)] and/or the Middle East and North Africa.  Those are the only parts of the world with growing populations that haven't yet made their imprint here.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »

We're the only Country in the Developed World with an above-replacement level birth rate. This shows that we are hopeful and optimistic about the future.

Actually, it is more likely that it is a result of large swathes of the american population been quite poor and uneducated, and thus reproducing more than the relatively better off Western European populations.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 07:12:55 PM »

We're the only Country in the Developed World with an above-replacement level birth rate. This shows that we are hopeful and optimistic about the future.

Actually, it is more likely that it is a result of large swathes of the american population been quite poor and uneducated, and thus reproducing more than the relatively better off Western European populations.

That's part of it, but a lot of it is cultural.

The fertility rate in the U.S., iirc, is almost uniformly higher than it is in Europe across almost all demographics.

Also, the difference between 2.1 in the U.S. and 1.8 in France is not that big when you consider that the average Nigerian woman has over 7 children.  We have bigger fish to fry here.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 07:18:04 PM »

This:

Is much healthier than this:

or this in the long run:

Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 08:26:05 PM »

By the time 2050 comes around somehow I don't really see 'hispanic' being a census catagory anymore.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008, 04:33:39 AM »

Americans are much more optimistic about the future than Europeans. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2008, 01:12:05 PM »

By 2050 (or the early 22nd century), I fully expect that the next great waves of immigrants would come from either sub-Saharan Africa [if the population recovers enough from the Red Plague (HIV-AIDS)] and/or the Middle East and North Africa.  Those are the only parts of the world with growing populations that haven't yet made their imprint here.

Birth rates in the Middle East and particularly North Africa have crashed lately. In the Maghreb, they're below replacement levels, but population keeps going up because of the lag from the 1980s cohorts having children.

Saudi Arabia, Yemen, the Occupied Territories are the outliers for still having large families.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 08:10:31 PM »

most immigrants to the US tend to be from middle-income countries (Mexico, Brazil, other parts of Central and South America, Cuba, Dominican Republic, China, Korea, India, etc) rather than very poor countries because they have the money to afford to make the trip. The one exception is Haiti, and that' due mainly to proximity. Therefore I think sub-saharan Africa will have to develop somewhat before we start seeing large numbers of African immigrants.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies