Canada 2008: Official Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:03:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canada 2008: Official Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 34
Author Topic: Canada 2008: Official Thread  (Read 94859 times)
defe07

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2008, 04:31:15 PM »

Which two ridings do they have a deal [qm]

Central Nova and Saint-Laurent-Cartierville. In the former, no Liberal candidate is opposing May. In Dion's riding, there's no Greenie.

I also read somewhere that the Tories aren't running a candidate against Independent Andre Arthur in Portneuf—Jacques-Cartier.  They don't want to risk splitting the federalist vote, or so the story goes.

The Greens are also, as mentioned earlier, not running a candidate against Bill Casey (basically so May can hammer MacKay on the Atlantic Accord).

Wait! Did the Greens make an agreement with any party? In countries like Chile, the Concertación and the Juntos Podemos just reached an agreement for this year's township elections to have one alliance not run a candidate against the other one if the partner alliance does the same.  
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2008, 04:36:34 PM »

Seems like all major parties have nominated a candidate in my riding.

Mauril Bélanger, Liberal. Incumbent since 1995 by-election.
Patrick Glémaud, Conservative. Haitian born. Looking at his internetz page, he sounds like a typical Republican (family fluff, tough on crime, low taxes). And God, he's ugly.
Trevor Haché, NDP. I could've sworn it would've been Ric Dagenais. Who cares. But unlike Dagenais, he seems to be able to write French.
Akbar Manoussi, Greenie. Iranian descent and Muslim. Seems decent. Was GPO candidate in Orleans in 07.
Mike St-Onge, CAP. Joke who is running for a fascist 9/11 conspiracy theorist party. Ran in St-Hyacinthe-Bagot by-election in 07 for the CAP.

It seems like the Stalinists haven't nominated a candidate yet. They've run in every election since '93.

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2008, 04:37:25 PM »

Which two ridings do they have a deal [qm]

Central Nova and Saint-Laurent-Cartierville. In the former, no Liberal candidate is opposing May. In Dion's riding, there's no Greenie.

I also read somewhere that the Tories aren't running a candidate against Independent Andre Arthur in Portneuf—Jacques-Cartier.  They don't want to risk splitting the federalist vote, or so the story goes.

The Greens are also, as mentioned earlier, not running a candidate against Bill Casey (basically so May can hammer MacKay on the Atlantic Accord).

Wait! Did the Greens make an agreement with any party?

Yes. The Libs. As mentioned earlier.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2008, 04:41:07 PM »

Patrick Glémaud, Conservative. Haitian born. Looking at his internetz page, he sounds like a typical Republican (family fluff, tough on crime, low taxes). And God, he's ugly.
Trevor Haché, NDP. I could've sworn it would've been Ric Dagenais. Who cares. But unlike Dagenais, he seems to be able to write French.
Akbar Manoussi, Greenie. Iranian descent and Muslim. Seems decent. Was GPO candidate in Orleans in 07.
Mike St-Onge, CAP. Joke who is running for a fascist 9/11 conspiracy theorist party. Ran in St-Hyacinthe-Bagot by-election in 07 for the CAP.

It seems like the Stalinists haven't nominated a candidate yet. They've run in every election since '93.

I thought the CAP were the Social Credit true believers. When did they become 9/11 conspiracy theorists?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2008, 04:44:36 PM »

OMG Racist!1!1!
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »

I thought the CAP were the Social Credit true believers. When did they become 9/11 conspiracy theorists?

Yeah. They're SoCreds too. In 2006, they added a thing on a 'truth commission' on 9/11 to their platform.

Their website counts 9/11 as a major electoral issue.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2008, 08:02:23 PM »

Ekos will be doing it's polling by robot it seems, from what I read on their site, and overheard at work today. What a stupid idea Sad It'll be interesting to see what whacky results it'll produce.

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »

Ekos will be doing it's polling by robot it seems, from what I read on their site, and overheard at work today. What a stupid idea Sad It'll be interesting to see what whacky results it'll produce.

My trash can is ready to welcome their polls.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2008, 08:25:06 PM »

Patrick Glemaud seemed like a nice guy when he spoke to my class last year. Too bad the prof couldn't find a tory MP to speak to us like the other two parties.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2008, 09:51:15 PM »

Just for Canada I became a Green!

I think they can win at least one seat. The environment seems like such a big issue and the liberals seem quite unpopular.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2008, 10:27:01 PM »

Just for Canada I became a Green!

I think they can win at least one seat. The environment seems like such a big issue and the liberals seem quite unpopular.

Well, if you're going to be excited... seats to watch include:

Central Nova (Elizabeth May, the party leader)
Guelph (which was about to be a by-election where the Greens were strong challengers)
Vancouver Centre (the former leader of the BC Greens is running there)
Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound (best Green result in 2006 and 33% in the 2007 Ontario election)
West Vancouver-Sunshine Coast-Sea-to-Sky-Country (Green defector is the incumbent)
Saanich-Gulf Islands (best Green result ever federally in a GE in 2004)

Also fun to watch might be Wild Rose, an ultra-safe Conservative seat where the Greens took second in 2006. (They won't win it, needless to say.)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2008, 11:28:55 PM »

The Liberals are not very creative. Their slogan is ''Ensemble, tout est possible'' (Together, all is possible). When I heard that, I think of Sarkosy in France last year. His slogan was ''Ensemble, tout devient possible'' (Together, all becomes possible).

In my riding, Abitibi--Baie James--Nunavik--Eeyou, in northern Quebec, only two candidates are known.

Yvon Lévesque, BQ, is the incumbent since 2004.
Jean-Maurice Matte, Conservative. He is the mayor of the fourth largest city of the riding. He is elected by the retired.
NDP. No candidate for now. Not surprising.

Liberals. No candidate for now. Surprising since they held the seat 1997-2004. On September 7th, the Liberals' website said than Ronald Tétrault was the candidate but they suppress his name after that day. He was a member of the provincial legislature 1970-1973, mayor of the main city of the riding 1976-1980 and 1992-2000. He finished third to the mayoral election. In 2005, he finished third in an election to be a municipal councillor. He is going in the wrong direction. He began to the top and finish to the bottom. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2008, 05:05:10 AM »

While I'll be ceasing to be a Green just for Canada soon - right after the Austrian election, my old NDP-AB avatar will be making a comeback.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2008, 06:38:11 AM »

On the subject, the Libs are having trouble finding candidates in Quebec apparently. Only 45/75 when I last checked.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #214 on: September 10, 2008, 07:17:47 AM »

On the subject, the Libs are having trouble finding candidates in Quebec apparently. Only 45/75 when I last checked.

Boo!

What is the Bloc's relationship with the Conservatives like? I know they aren't close ideologically but would they ever form a coalition if needed?

I'm going to change my avatar soon to a Canadian Province, in honor of this election. I'm still thinking about which one. I like Manitoba for some reason. Is there anything bad about MB that I should know?
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: September 10, 2008, 09:00:50 AM »

Angus Reid has some crap out.

Con: 38
Lib: 24
NDP: 21
BQ: 9
Green: 7
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #216 on: September 10, 2008, 09:03:31 AM »

The Canadian Electorate being what it is, all polls should be taken with a few crates of salt until we hit the last few weeks (ie; not because polls now must be inaccurate, it's just that them Canadians do have a habit of changing their minds en masse in the last few days...)
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #217 on: September 10, 2008, 03:05:13 PM »
« Edited: September 10, 2008, 03:34:44 PM by Kentoc'h mervel eget saotr »

Boo!

What is the Bloc's relationship with the Conservatives like? I know they aren't close ideologically but would they ever form a coalition if needed?

After what Duceppe said about Harper in the kickoff to his campaign, I have a lot of trouble seeing him work with the Forces of Darkness.

Angus Reid has some crap out.

Con: 38
Lib: 24
NDP: 21
BQ: 9
Green: 7

Haha. Direction: trash can.

According to that poll, the NDP is at 18% in Quebec, with the Liberals at 12%. Lol.

Is there anything bad about MB that I should know?

Yes. It includes Winnipeg. *gasp*

BTW, the Greenies will participate in the leaders' debate after all. The NDP and the Forces of Darkness have backed down.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #218 on: September 10, 2008, 03:05:27 PM »

The Canadian Electorate being what it is, all polls should be taken with a few crates of salt until we hit the last few weeks (ie; not because polls now must be inaccurate, it's just that them Canadians do have a habit of changing their minds en masse in the last few days...)
I agree. Canadians should be taken with salt.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #219 on: September 10, 2008, 03:13:59 PM »

I agree. Canadians should be taken with salt.

Salted Canadians. Yum.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #220 on: September 10, 2008, 03:16:53 PM »

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hHbaE0yqY

Dear Leader's ad. (Now pulled).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2008, 04:58:28 PM »

On their website, they have 72/75 candidates in Quebec. Only Abitibi--Baie James--Nunavik--Eeyou, Manicouagan and Repentigny are missing.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #222 on: September 10, 2008, 07:06:42 PM »

On their website, they have 72/75 candidates in Quebec. Only Abitibi--Baie James--Nunavik--Eeyou, Manicouagan and Repentigny are missing.

Pundits' Guide reported only 46 at 16:00 today, and jumped to 70 right now.

Weird.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2008, 07:08:31 PM »

btw, nominations progress

Libs 272/307 (88%)
NDP 196/308 (64%)
Greenies 151/306 (49%)
Bloc 57/75
Cons 291/308 (94%)

Ind 13
Others 54
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2008, 09:51:47 PM »

Wasn't there some talk a few years ago of the Bloc running candidates in some of the Francophone ridings in the Maritimes and Saskatchewan? I seem to recall reading it somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 34  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies