TR wins in 1912
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:35:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  TR wins in 1912
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20
Author Topic: TR wins in 1912  (Read 116542 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »

On December 15th, 1952, the 435 members of the House of Representatives and 96 members of the United States Senate gather in their respective chambers to select the next President and Vice President, respectively.

In the House, the choices are: Governor Earl Warren (P-CA), President Claude Pepper (D-FL), and Senator Richard B. Russell (D-GA).  A majority of 25 states is needed to be elected President, and on the first ballot, no candidate gets the necessary states.

1st Ballot:

Earl Warren: 19 states
Claude Pepper: 19 states
Richard Russell: 10 states

After the first ballot, Russell meets privately with both Governor Warren and President Pepper, trying to gain concessions from both men in exchange for the support of his states’ votes.  Russell attempts to gain from Warren a promise not to pursue any sort of Civil Rights legislation, as well as the appointment of Southerners to key Cabinet posts.  Warren, however, does not give the Civil Rights promise, although he does make the Cabinet concession.  When Pepper refuses to make either pledge, Russell orders his states to stay with him, leading to no change on the second ballot.

2nd Ballot:

Earl Warren: 19 states
Claude Pepper: 19 states

Shortly before the third ballot, Warren meets privately with Pepper.  Warren promises Pepper to give him a significant Cabinet post, in exchange for the states pledged to Pepper, allowing him to win the election.  Pepper agrees, and Warren wins on the third ballot.

3rd Ballot:

Earl Warren: 38 states

In the Senate, there is only a single ballot, as the thought of Strom Thurmond as Vice President horrifies the Senators, with only the states that supported Russell supporting Thurmond.

1st Ballot:

Tom Dewey: 38 states
Strom Thurmond: 10 states
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2008, 03:46:54 PM »

Yay Pepper still gets a good position!!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2008, 03:51:27 PM »

You forgot how the Senate elects VPs?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2008, 04:01:08 PM »

Damn it!  Well, my map still shows how they voted; only the 20 Senators from the South voted for Thurmond, with the other 76 going for Dewey.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2008, 04:04:55 PM »

Damn it!  Well, my map still shows how they voted; only the 20 Senators from the South voted for Thurmond, with the other 76 going for Dewey.

Gore and Kefauver weren't Senators?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »

Not yet.  Kefauver is a Progressive, and therefore still DOA in the South, and Gore narrowly lost to McKellar in 1950, but is getting ready to run again in 1954 for the other seat.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2008, 04:08:38 PM »

Not yet.  Kefauver is a Progressive, and therefore still DOA in the South, and Gore narrowly lost to McKellar in 1950, but is getting ready to run again in 1954 for the other seat.

Fine.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2008, 07:57:36 PM »

Interesting Update Ben. Sure it does sound cliche of me to say that all the time, but your updates for your timeline involving the election of Theodore Roosevelt in 1912 are always interesting Smiley. And I'm glad to see the Progressives nominating such an excellent ticket, but you stole my idea for an update in my Golden Age: Herbert Hoover elected 1920 timeline. I said too much.

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2008, 08:01:04 PM »

Interesting Update Ben. Sure it does sound cliche of me to say that all the time, but your updates for your timeline involving the election of Theodore Roosevelt in 1912 are always interesting Smiley. And I'm glad to see the Progressives nominating such an excellent ticket, but you stole my idea for an update in my Golden Age: Herbert Hoover elected 1920 timeline. I said too much.

Glad to see that you liked my latest update.  Now that's it summer I'll be updating more; I hope to have things finished by the middle of July.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #209 on: June 23, 2008, 03:06:07 PM »

The First Term of Earl Warren

In his Inaugural Address, Warren, the first Progressive elected since 1928, discusses the need for unity.  In that vain, his Cabinet is composed of people from across the political spectrum.  He also appoints the first female Cabinet member, in Labor Secretary Frances Perkins.

Secretary of State: Claude Pepper (D-FL)
Secretary of the Treasury: Henry Morgenthau, Jr. (D-NY)
Secretary of Defense: Dwight D. Eisenhower (I-KS)
Attorney General: John Marshal Harlan (R-NY)
Postmaster General: Arthur E. Summerfield (P-MI)
Secretary of the Interior: Ernest W. McFarland (D-AZ)
Secretary of Agriculture: Strom Thurmond (D-SC)
Secretary of Commerce: Sinclair Weeks (P-MA)
Secretary of Labor: Frances Perkins (D-MA)
Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare: H. Alexander Smith (R-NJ)

In his first speech to Congress on February 8, 1953, President Warren requests that Congress begin Operation Wetback in response to increasing illegal immigration to the United States.  He says that the increasing number of illegal immigrants could pose a national security threat.  However, he makes clear that he does not oppose legal immigration, so long as officials can keep track of people entering the country.

In July, 1953, the economy begins to fall into a recession.  In response, Warren presses for a major public works program, which turns into the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1953, which created the United States' Interstate Highways. The program was the largest public works program in U.S. history, providing a 41,000-mile highway system.  The measure passes Congress with almost unanimous support.

On September 11, 1953, President Warren meets with Spanish leader Francisco Franco.  Although there is criticism of the undemocratic nature of Spain’s government, Warren determined that Spain could be a great partner, due to the anti-Communist nature of their government.  Warren built a trade and military alliance with the Spanish through the Pact of Madrid; ending Spain’s isolation.

On May 17, 1954, the Supreme Court, in a unanimous decision delivered by Chief Justice Black, strikes down the doctrine of “separate but equal”, in the case Brown v. Board of Education.  The decision is widely applauded in the Warren White House, especially by the President himself, a former attorney.  However, there is some dissension in the Cabinet, especially by Strom Thurmond, a vigorous supporter of segregation.

On May 25, Congressional reaction to the decision emerges.  On the floor of the Senate, every Southern Senator except for Lyndon Johnson of Texas, the Democratic Whip, introduce the “Declaration of Constitutional Principles” or the “Southern Manifesto.”  The document, written primarily by James Eastland (D-MS), Ranking Member of the Judiciary Committee, and read by Senator Walter George (D-GA), the document attacks the Brown decision as a usurpation of judicial authority, and urges the Southern states to resist such a violation of the Constitution.

Attorney General Harlan, with the backing of the President, quickly condemns the Manifesto.  “That is the stupidest piece of pseudo-legal trash I have ever seen,” says the Attorney General.  A condemns the decision; it is signed by every member of the Cabinet except Thurmond, who resigns the next day.

The 1954 Congressional Elections

With the President’s approval rating at 67% on election day, the Progressives make massive gains in both Houses of Congress.

House Results:
Progressives: 209 (+39)
Democrats: 110 (-59)
Republicans: 96 (+26)
Farmer-Labor: 20 (-6)

Senate Results:
Progressives: 50 (+13)
Democrats: 24 (-10)
Republicans: 11 (-4)
Populist: 8 (+1)
Farmer-Labor: 3 (-)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #210 on: June 26, 2008, 02:12:12 PM »

On January 28, 1955, in his State of the Union Address, President Warren renews former President Pepper’s calls to grant statehood to both Alaska and Hawaii.  With strong majorities in both Houses of Congress, Warren is confident that he will finally be able to grant statehood, hopefully before the 1956 elections.  In the same speech, he asks Congress to pass the Civil Rights Act of 1955.  The Act is primarily concerned with voting rights, which Warren hopes will weaken opposition, as even the most strident racists in Congress can’t oppose voting rights.

On February 3, 1955, Majority Leader Irving Ives (P-NY) brings the Civil Rights Act to the floor of the Senate, declaring, “For too long, we have denied a significant part of the American population their God given rights!  Today we can begin to rectify that mistake.”  Ives is followed by Senator Hubert Humphrey (FL-MN), a national leader in the fight for Civil Rights, says, “The Southern states claim that they can fix their racial problems on their own.  Well, they’ve had 80 years to do so, and they haven’t.  Eventually, the federal government needs to step in.  The era of letting the South move slowly is over.  The era of federal intervention begins right now!”

Although greatly weakened, and with the odds stacked against them, the South prepares to filibuster the Act.  The first speech is by Sam Ervin (D-NC), a former judge.  “This Act is, in my view, the most unconstitutional piece of legislation to ever be presented to the United States Congress.  It does not contain a single clause that is in coherence with our Constitution.”  Freshman Senator Albert Gore (D-TN), in his maiden speech, says, “This legislation is not only unconstitutional, but also unwieldy, and unenforceable.  I fail to see how the President can expect the South to force more negroes to vote; in Tennessee,  if you want to vote, all you need to do is register.  We do not impede the negroes’ voting; they do that themselves.”

As the debate continues in the Senate, the Civil Rights movement gains steam outside of it.  On June 3, 1955, the Court, in a unanimous opinion by Chief Justice Black orders that the Southern States begin desegregating their schools immediately.  In Alabama, a young preacher named Martin Luther King Jr. begins calling for an end to segregation in places other than public schools.  He also urges a boycott of the Montgomery Bus systems, as a political and social protest, to oppose Montgomery’s policy of racial segregation on its public transit system.

On June 27, Senator Ives calls for a cloture vote, intending to end the filibuster.  67 votes, a 2/3 supermajority, is needed to place a limit on debate.  Ives, sitting at his front row desk, is unconcerned.  He is certain that he has the 67 votes needed to invoke cloture.  And, at a little after 2 PM, he is proven correct.  The final tally is 70-26 for cloture, the first time it is ever invoked.  Ives allows for two days of debate, with a final vote to be held early in the morning on June 29.

On June 29, at 10 AM, the vote on passage of the first Civil Rights Act since 1876 begins.  There is little doubt as to how the vote will go, and the Act passes, 69-27.  Three days later, it passes the House, 334-101, and is signed by President Warren on July 4th, 1955, in the presence of many prominent African-American leaders.

When Congress returns from their recess on September 3, Ives takes up statehood for Alaska and Hawaii.  Once again, the South filibusters Hawaii’s statehood.  For over 24 hours, Senator Strom Thurmond (D-SC), Warren’s former Agriculture Secretary, speaks, reading the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and even reading the recently passed Civil Rights Act of 1955.  However, on October 29, Ives calls for cloture on the Alaska-Hawaii package, hoping to get things out of the way.  This time, however, cloture fails, by a vote of 61-35, falling just short.  Ives decides to withdraw the legislation, and reintroduce it in January.

In his State of the Union speech, Warren makes another push for Alaskan and Hawaiian statehood.  He also announces that he will seek another term as President, as will Vice President Dewey.

On February 2, Senator Ives brings up the Alaskan-Hawaiian statehood bill.  Once again, Southerners filibuster, with Senator Thurmond taking the leader role, filibustering for 26 hours, and 37 minutes, a Senate record.  However, the other Southerners lack the same enthusiasm, and on February 28, by a vote of 74-22, Alaska and Hawaii become the 49th and 50th state respectively, sending their first Congressional delegations to Congress, all Progressives, on March 8th.

On June 29, Justice Sherman Minton retires, citing health concerns.  Warren appoints William O. Douglas to replace him.

The 1956 Presidential Election

As the Presidential election season begins, President Warren’s approval ratings hover around 60%, scaring off many prominent challenger.

The 1956 Progressive National Convention

Warren and Dewey are renominated with no opposition; in his acceptance speech, Warren promises to pass another, stronger, Civil Rights Act in 1957.

The 1956 Democratic National Convention

With Warren’s immense popularity scaring off most prominent opponents, the Democrats decide liberal Southerner Lister Hill of Alabama.  He selects Governor Dennis J. Roberts of Rhode Island as Vice President.

The 1956 Republican National Convention

Following Senator Taft’s death in early 1955, the Republicans nominate Governor J. Caleb Boggs of Delaware.  He selects Governor Arthur B. Langlie of Washington to be his running mate.

The 1956 Presidential Election

Throughout the campaign, polls show Warren leading by massive margins.  A poll in September shows Warren at 48%, Hill at 30%, and Boggs at 22%.  On election day, Warren wins with one of the most impressive margins ever for a Progressive candidate.  He also becomes the first non-Democratic nominee to win a Southern state since 1876, when he wins Virginia and Florida by narrow margins.

Earl Warren/Tom Dewey: 51% PV, 421 EV
Lister Hill/Dennis J. Roberts: 26% PV, 106 EV
J. Caleb Boggs/Arthur B. Langlie: 23% PV, 10 EV

The 1956 Congressional Elections

Following Warren’s landslide, the Progressives make massive gains in the House, but do very little in the Senate, picking up the 4 seats from Alaska and Hawaii, but not defeating any incumbents.

House Results:
Progressives: 252 (+43)
Democrats: 83 (-37)
Republicans: 75 (-21)
Farmer-Labor: 27 (+7)

Senate Results:
Progressives: 54 (+4)
Democrats: 24 (-)
Republicans: 11 (-)
Populist: 8 (-)
Farmer-Labor: 3 (-)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #211 on: June 26, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »

Farmer-Labour intrigues me. Tell me, where do they hold their seats and why don't they run presidential candidates? I'd assume they're very strong in MN, right?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #212 on: June 26, 2008, 02:22:16 PM »

You have a strange definition of "Southern".
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #213 on: June 26, 2008, 02:31:57 PM »

Farmer-Labour intrigues me. Tell me, where do they hold their seats and why don't they run presidential candidates? I'd assume they're very strong in MN, right?

Farmer-Labor is extremely strong in Minnesota, holding all of their House and Senate seats; they are strong primarily in the Midwest; MN, ND, SD, NE, IA, and KS.  They don't run Presidential candidates because none of their candidates wants the job except for Hubert Humphrey, who realizes that it's unlikely he would even make it to the HoR.

You have a strange definition of "Southern".

How so?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: June 26, 2008, 02:36:36 PM »

Including Virginia and Florida but not Kentucky, which is much more conservative and generally more Southern than Tennessee?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #215 on: June 26, 2008, 02:37:18 PM »

Including Virginia and Florida but not Kentucky, which is much more conservative and generally more Southern than Tennessee?

My definition varies, actually.  In this TL, I mean Southern as the 11 former Confederate states.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #216 on: June 26, 2008, 02:40:39 PM »

My definition varies, actually.  In this TL, I mean Southern as the 11 former Confederate states.

A very poor definition.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #217 on: June 26, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »

A very poor definition.

Yeah; I know.  I usually include KY, WV, OK, and MO as well.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: June 26, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »

A very poor definition.

Yeah; I know.  I usually include KY, WV, OK, and MO as well.

Well, don't vary it anymore.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #219 on: June 30, 2008, 04:50:35 PM »

The Second Term of Earl Warren

After being sworn in by Chief Justice Black, President Warren launches into one of the most celebrated Inaugural Addresses in history.  Despite being one of the shortest, it is notable for the number of issues addressed.  Warren begins by calling for a new, stronger Civil Rights Act, and also condemns the Communist regimes in Eastern Europe, especially following the Soviet putdown of a revolution in Hungary the previous December.

When Congress reconvenes, the first action in Congress is the Civil Rights Act of 1957.  As in previous years, the South begins an all out filibuster.  However, it seems to many observers that the South, and in particular Russell, don’t care as much.  That sentiment is confirmed privately by Senator John Sparkman (D-AL), who tells Allen Drury that “Quite frankly, we just don’t give a damn.”  As such, the filibuster ends in early March, without a cloture vote being held.  The legislation passes the Senate on March 18th, by a vote of 75-25, and it passes the House on March 27th, 332-103.  It is signed by President Warren the next day.

In early April, Senator Hubert Humphrey (FL-MN) introduces a Constitutional Amendment which would abolish the poll tax in the entire United States.  Despite only a few Southern states continuing to use the method, it is vigorously defended by all Southern senators, even though, as Richard Russell privately says, “We cannot defend this.  Voting is a basic right.”

However, for several weeks in April and May, the South gives speech after speech defending the practice.  But, finally, on May 28th, the Senate passes the Amendment 68-32, one vote more than necessary.  The House passes the Amendment 300-135, and it is sent to the States for ratification, with the hope that it can be achieved before the 1958 elections.

On November 8, 1957, the USSR launches a satellite, named Sputnik, into space.  The event causes a panic throughout the country, with President Warren giving a speech live from the White House on television to assure Americans that they have nothing to fear.

The next day, Senators James Roosevelt (D-CA), and Homer Capehart (R-IN), introduce the Space Exploration Act of 1957, which established NASA, and set the goal of having a man on the Moon by December 31, 1967.  There is no controversy over the Act, and it passes Congress quickly, being signed by the President on November 13, 1957.

In his State of the Union Address on January 28th, 1958, President Warren focuses on foreign policy, once again condemning the Soviet acts of aggression in Eastern Europe.  He also condemns the continued acts of terrorism by some Palestinians in Israel, although he notes that not all Palestinians have done so.

On June 18, 1958, Justice John J. Parker dies of a heart attack.  Warren appoints William Brennan to replace him.

In September of 1958, integration once again comes to the front in Little Rock, Arkansas.  Despite repeated orders to integrate the schools, Governor Orval Faubus refused, and shut down the schools for the entire 1957-1958 school year.  With school set to reopen on September 5, 1958, Faubus decides to take a bolder stand, and physically blocks 9 black students from entering the school.

On September 7, for the third straight day, Faubus blocks the students, and Warren decides to take matters into his own hands.  Nationalizing the Arkansas Federal Reserve, Warren, in a pre-planned move, forces Faubus to let the students into the school, finally.

The 1958 Congressional Elections

With the Little Rock crisis still on voters minds, the Progressives make big gains in the House, but not many in the Senate.

House Results:
Progressives: 270 (+18)
Republicans: 70 (-5)
Democrats: 68 (-15)
Farmer-Labor: 29 (+2)

Senate Results:
Progressives: 52 (-2)
Democrats: 25 (+1)
Republicans: 13 (+2)
Populist: 5 (-3)
Farmer-Labor: 5 (+2)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #220 on: July 02, 2008, 06:05:26 PM »

Update?

I'm curious as to know who the Progressives, the Republicans and the Democrats will nominate in 1960. I have a feeling that Vice President Dewey will get the nomination for the Progressives, not sure for the Republicans and maybe somebody like Herman Talmadge. Am I right?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #221 on: July 02, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »

When Congress reconvenes in January, 1959, Senate Majority Leader Leverett Saltonstall (P-MA), introduces the Voting Rights Act of 1959.  The Act outlawed literacy tests in order to register to vote, established extensive federal oversight of elections administration, and provided that states with a history of discriminatory voting practices could not implement any change affecting voting without first obtaining the approval of the Justice Department.

Despite allowing the Civil Rights Act to pass without major opposition, the South digs its feet into the ground to fight the Voting Rights Act.  Senator Strom Thurmond (D-SC), a former judge, calls the Act “A monstrosity of legislation; this Act should be taken behind a shed and shot.”  Senator Herman Talmadge of Georgia says, “This Act is nothing more than another attempt to finish what Sherman started: The utter destruction of the South.”  For weeks, the South continues its filibuster, despite repeated attempts by moderate Senators, including Democratic Leader Lyndon Johnson (D-TX), to convince the South to give up.

In his State of the Union Address on February 2, 1959, President Warren criticizes the South for its continuing filibuster.  “The South has decided to hold up the business of our nation in order to stage a show for the voters at home.”  Warren declares, glaring at Southern leader Richard Russell (D-GA).

Despite Warren’s condemnation, and continued pressure by colleagues, Russell keeps the filibuster going, well into March.  However, on April 4, 1959, the Senate votes on cloture, and by an 81-19 margin, the Senate votes for cloture.  Three Southerners, Johnson and Yarborough of Texas, and Albert Gore Sr. of Tennessee break ranks and vote for cloture.  On April 9, by the same 81-19 margin, the Senate passes the Act; on May 3, the House passes the Act by a vote of 318-117, and it is signed by President Warren on May 4, 1959.

On January 29, 1960, in his State of the Union Address, Warren announces that he will not seek a third term in office.  Although expected, there were rumors in some quarters that Warren would seek another term.  Three days later, two Progressives announce for the nomination: Vice President Dewey, and Senator William Proxmire (P-WI).

The 1960 Presidential Election

Despite Warren’s high approval ratings, the 1960 election sets up to be an extremely close race, with multiple candidates on both sides declaring for the race.

The 1960 Progressive National Convention

Although Vice President Dewey is the favorite, he receives a spirited challenge from Senator William Proxmire (P-WI).  Proxmire charges that Dewey is not really a Progressive, but a Progressive in name only, or a PINO.

1960 Progressive Primaries:

March 12th (Wisconsin, Louisiana, and Wyoming)Sad
Wisconsin: Proxmire 75%, Dewey 25%
Louisiana: Proxmire 52%, Dewey 48%
Wyoming: Dewey 54%, Proxmire 46%

March 19th (Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Iowa, Missouri, and Texas)Sad
Alabama: Proxmire 54%, Dewey 46%
Alaska: Dewey 57%, Proxmire 43%
Arkansas: Proxmire 50%, Dewey 50%
Connecticut: Dewey 71%, Proxmire 29%
Iowa: Proxmire 53%, Dewey 47%
Missouri: Dewey 51%, Proxmire 49%
Texas: Proxmire 54%, Dewey 46%

March 26th  (Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, Oregon, and Virginia)Sad
Arizona: Proxmire 51%, Dewey 49%
California: Dewey 58%, Proxmire 42%
Colorado: Proxmire 52%, Dewey 48%
Delaware: Proxmire 50%, Dewey 50%
Florida: Proxmire 67%, Dewey 33%
Georgia: Proxmire 70%, Dewey 30%
Hawaii: Dewey 80%, Proxmire 20%
Illinois: Proxmire 54%, Dewey 46%
Indiana: Dewey 52%, Proxmire 48%
Kansas: Proxmire 57%, Dewey 43%
Maryland: Proxmire 51%, Dewey 49%
Michigan: Proxmire 60%, Dewey 40%
North Carolina: Proxmire 63%, Dewey 37%
Oregon: Dewey 53%, Proxmire 47%
Virginia: Proxmire 73%, Dewey 27%

After suffering big losses throughout the early primaries, in a stunning upset, Dewey drops out on March 27th, and endorses Proxmire.  Proxmire selects Senator Ernest Gruening of Alaska, an early Dewey supporter, as his running mate.

The 1960 Democratic National Convention

On the Democratic side, there is an equally spirited contest for the nomination, between Senator James Roosevelt (D-CA), son of the former President, Governor Orval Faubus (D-AR), a hero to Southern conservatives, and Congressman John F. Kennedy of Massachusetts, the first Catholic to seek the nomination.

On ballot after ballot, the three deadlock, with Faubus commanding every Southern state, and Roosevelt and Kennedy splitting the rest.  Finally, on the 19th ballot, Kennedy concedes to Roosevelt, and he is nominated with only the South dissenting.  In a reconciliatory move, Roosevelt selects Senator Lyndon Johnson of Texas as his running mate.

The 1960 Republican National Convention

In a surprising move, the Republicans nominated Governor William Stratton of Illinois, then just 45 years old, but finishing his second term as Governor.  He selects John H. Reed of Maine.

The 1960 Presidential Election

From day 1, the campaign is extremely close; on election day, not a single poll had shown any candidate with more than 35%.  On election day, the polls prove true, as Roosevelt defeats Proxmire by the narrowest of margins imaginable.

James Roosevelt/Lyndon Johnson: 35% PV, 275 EV
William Proxmire/Ernest Gruening: 34% PV, 179 EV
William Stratton/John Reed: 31% PV, 83 EV

The 1960 Congressional Elections

Despite the close Presidential race, the Democrats make massive gains in both Houses of Congress.

House Results:
Progressives: 214 (-56)
Democrats: 132 (+64)
Republicans: 52 (-18)
Farmer-Labor: 39 (+10)

Senate Results:
Progressives: 40 (-12)
Democrats: 37 (+12)
Republicans: 13 (-)
Populist: 5 (-)
Farmer-Labor: 5 (-)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #222 on: July 04, 2008, 08:21:24 PM »

Presidents of the United States:
Theodore Roosevelt (P-New York) 1913-1921
Claude Swanson (D-Virginia) 1921-1929
William Borah (P-Idaho) 1929-1933
Millard Tydings (D-Maryland) 1933-1935
Franklin D. Roosevelt (D-New York) 1935-1949
Claude Pepper (D-Florida) 1949-1953
Earl Warren (P-California) 1953-1961
James Roosevelt (D-California) 1961-??

Vice Presidents of the United States
Hiram Johnson (P-California) 1913-1921
George Hunt (D-Arizona) 1921-1929
John Hammill (P-Iowa) 1929-1933
Franklin D. Roosevelt (D-New York) 1933-1935
Vacant 1935-1937
William Bankhead (D-Alabama) 1937-1945
Claude Pepper (D-Florida) 1945-1949
Joseph C. O'Mahoney (D-Wyoming) 1949-1953
Tom Dewey (P-New York) 1953-1961
Lyndon Johnson (D-Texas) 1961-??
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #223 on: July 08, 2008, 10:35:18 PM »

Sorry for the lack of an update; expect one to come tomorrow.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: July 09, 2008, 04:30:10 PM »

And the update regarding the first term of James Roosevelt is where?

A question regarding your timeline Ben, what are the following people doing your timeline regarding Theodore Roosevelt's re-election as President of the United States in 1912 over William Howard Taft and Woodrow Wilson?

• Richard Nixon
  • Gerald Ford
  • Mao Zedong
  • Robert Menzies
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies