Clark to endorse Kerry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:01:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Clark to endorse Kerry
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clark to endorse Kerry  (Read 1691 times)
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2004, 03:10:00 PM »

Source Says Clark Ready to Endorse Kerry    

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Wesley Clark (news - web sites) will endorse presidential contender John Kerry (news - web sites), a high-profile boost for the front-runner as he looks to wrap up the party's nomination, according to Democratic officials.

With next week's Wisconsin primary looming, Clark plans to join Kerry at a campaign stop in Madison, Wis., Friday to make a formal endorsement, said officials, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Clark spokesman Matt Bennett would not confirm the endorsement, and would only say, "General Clark is looking forward to going to Wisconsin to be with Senator Kerry."

Kerry has racked up wins in 12 of 14 Democratic contests and hopes to add Wisconsin to his win column. The backing of Clark, who registered in the low double digits in earlier Wisconsin polls, could increase Kerry's advantage in a state with 72 pledged delegates at stake.

The Southern-bred Clark dropped out of the race for the White House on Wednesday after disappointing third-place finishes in Tennessee and Virginia. The retired four-star general was unable to command significant support as a first-time presidential candidate, winning just one state — Oklahoma — in 14 contests.

He coupled his withdrawal with words of praise for his remaining rivals — Kerry, Sen. John Edwards (news - web sites) and former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean (news - web sites).

"They're good men, they're good Democrats and they're good patriots," Clark said. "Our country is well-served" by them, he added.

Clark, a 59-year-old career military man, burst onto the campaign last fall, supplanting his more experienced and better-known rivals at the top of the polls and demonstrating significant fund-raising ability.

The commanding general in NATO (news - web sites)'s war in Kosovo in 1999, Clark anchored his political appearances with a pledge of "a higher standard of leadership" and spoke to campaign audiences often of service, duty and honor.

Strategically, his first key decision was to bypass the kickoff Iowa caucuses in favor of the New Hampshire primary eight days later. Kerry's surprise caucus triumph trumped Clark's plan, and the former general faded to a distant third.

After Kerry won a surprise victory in the Iowa caucuses, Clark suggested that Kerry's experience as a Navy lieutenant could not match his own as a four-star general. He toned down his remarks, saying he wasn't trying to distinguish between his rank and Kerry's.

Clark wrestled with the decision to end his campaign as election returns rolled in Tuesday night, with advisers urging him to quit and family pushing him to continue. Before deciding to exit, he thanked several hundred cheering backers.

"We may have lost this battle today, but I tell you what, we're not to lose the battle for America's future," he said Tuesday.

Aides said Clark would remain active in the campaign by stumping for Democrats in the South and other swing states and serving as an adviser on national security issues.

In appealing to voters, Clark relied almost entirely on his 34 years in military service. Supporters touted other qualities — his Southern roots and his status as a Washington outsider — that they contended made Clark the candidate most likely to defeat Bush. Plus, he provided another forceful voice in condemning the war in Iraq (news - web sites), which he frequently called unnecessary, reckless and wrong.

Clark had enormous fund-raising success for a latecomer, raising nearly $15 million in 2003. He started January with at least $10 million left and the prospect of raising millions more.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2004, 03:28:43 PM »

NY's two highest black officials, Rep. Charles Rangel and former State Comptroller Carl McCall, also have endosrsed Kerry.  Rangel formerly endorsed Clark.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2004, 04:13:11 PM »

Personally, I dont like Kerry too much.  That may be because I thought Gore and Clinton were downright awesome leaders.  The only way I'll be able to get as excited as I was in 2000 when I thought Gore was gonna win is if Edwards gets the VP nod.  

It just that, all those special interests stuff.  The very idea of big corporations paying money to get their way just make me shudder.  
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2004, 04:14:28 PM »

It just that, all those special interests stuff.  The very idea of big corporations paying money to get their way just make me shudder.  

You don't think Clinton/Gore did the same?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2004, 05:25:20 PM »

They all do that, they're all sleazeballs, but there a good sleazeballs (Edwards), middle-of-the-road sleazeballs (Kerry), and bad sleazeballs (Cheney).
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2004, 05:27:21 PM »

They all do that, they're all sleazeballs, but there a good sleazeballs (Edwards), middle-of-the-road sleazeballs (Kerry), and bad sleazeballs (Cheney).

Exactly, it's all about damage control.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 07:13:02 PM »

Alot of Clark delegates on jumping on the Kerry bandwagon including 3 ARK Congressman and Rep. Charlie Rangel of NY whose been with Clark since the start
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 01:01:38 AM »

Personally, I dont like Kerry too much.  That may be because I thought Gore and Clinton were downright awesome leaders.  The only way I'll be able to get as excited as I was in 2000 when I thought Gore was gonna win is if Edwards gets the VP nod.  

They're not 'paying money to get their way', they're just paying money to the protection racket in Washington to be left alone as much as possible.  That's why corporations prefer Republicans - they leave them alone by lowering regulations and taxes.  Nothing bad or scary about this - just self-defense in a hostile political world.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 03:59:11 PM »

They're not 'paying money to get their way', they're just paying money to the protection racket in Washington to be left alone as much as possible.  That's why corporations prefer Republicans - they leave them alone by lowering regulations and taxes.  Nothing bad or scary about this - just self-defense in a hostile political world.

If that was all it would be well and fine. Don't let your ideals get in the way of reality. Interest groups are led by bureacrats and lobbyists in the same way as all other groups, they're not businessmen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies