would you rather live in massachusetts or minnesota
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:56:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  would you rather live in massachusetts or minnesota
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
ma

mn

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: would you rather live in massachusetts or minnesota  (Read 2168 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 07, 2008, 09:57:09 PM »

totally random question.

i cant really answer.  ive never been to minnesota.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »

Easiest answer yet!
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 10:03:32 PM »

I have family in Minnesota and it really is a good place so MN has my vote.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:03:52 PM »

Duh.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:06:17 PM »

I prefer the Eastern time zone but Minnesota wins my vote on everything else.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 10:29:18 PM »

MA. At least it has character.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:00:39 PM »

Minnesota, easily.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 11:16:24 PM »

I can't think of any reason to pick Massachusetts over Minnesota.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 11:17:22 PM »

Better universities?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 11:23:01 PM »

Better universities?

Considering that I'm already in university and am about to graduate soon, that would not be an issue.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:25:30 PM »

Better universities?

Considering that I'm already in university and am about to graduate soon, that would not be an issue.

Fair enough. Personally I'd go where-ever there are better job opportunities, although the one in Boston would have to pay more o/c to match the costs of living.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2008, 11:32:32 PM »

I admit that, if its politics weren't so horrible, I'd seriously consider finding a job Massachusetts. I'd even find a way to avoid the taxes (can you say "municipal bonds"?).

I don't care much for the Midwest, so I've never given MN much thought.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 05:18:10 PM »

perdedor

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 08:42:09 PM »

The people aren't very friendly in Massachusetts, but it's closer to NYC. I'd still probably take MN.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 07:58:29 AM »

Massachusetts. Minnesota would be nice, but Boston would be nice for a few years. If I had to choose one to spend the rest of my life it, MN would win by a nose, maybe.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 01:59:39 PM »

MN obviously.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 03:42:02 PM »

The people aren't very friendly in Massachusetts, but it's closer to NYC. I'd still probably take MN.

Why are people from outside the northeast so concerned with being "friendly"?  It's not like there are no friendly people, it's just that there are a lot more independent minded people that aren't into bullsh**t.  We say what we think and don't waste time with nonsense that we don't mean.  I don't see how that's a negative.  It would make me feel better knowing the truth than being lied to all the time.  If we don't like someone, they know it and aren't still acted "friendly" towards.  That's much better than not knowing that someone doesn't like you.

These things probably mean more to the commoners on the street than you, fuzzy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 04:02:05 PM »

Not to mention that most people in the city are wealthy anyway.

Seeing as that remark obviously can't be referring to NYC or Boston, what city do you have in mind here?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 04:25:53 PM »

Why are people from outside the northeast so concerned with being "friendly"?  It's not like there are no friendly people, it's just that there are a lot more independent minded people that aren't into bullsh**t.  We say what we think and don't waste time with nonsense that we don't mean.  I don't see how that's a negative.  It would make me feel better knowing the truth than being lied to all the time.  If we don't like someone, they know it and aren't still acted "friendly" towards.  That's much better than not knowing that someone doesn't like you.

I think a difference exists between "normal" Northern big-city anonymity -- which is a survival mechanism -- and the chip-on-the-shoulder hostility that even someone like Martha Stewart complained about when she lived in CT. Being surrounded by rude and ugly people impacts one's quality of life.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

These things probably mean more to the commoners on the street than you, fuzzy.

I'm probably more often "on the street" in the city than poorer people that can't afford to go into the city.  Not to mention that most people in the city are wealthy anyway.  And if people were a little less concerned with making friends where they work, then maybe they'd be making more.  New York and Boston are two of the wealthiest cities in the country, and they didn't get that way by being nice.

The ironic part is that your post is the exact reason people are concerned with friendliness.  In case you didn't know, the friendliness here is genuine, unlike in California.

My answer should be obvious.  Duluth would be the city I'd pick.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2008, 05:01:35 PM »

Minnesota. The northern part of the state especially is quite scenic. Minneapolis is one of the best if not the best big city in the country to live in, combining all of the expected amenities with a relatively small town atmosphere and feel in many respects.

It's a state that is genuinely progressive in many of the most important aspects, even if it doesn't vote as Democratic as Massachusetts.

I've never been to Massachusetts so I can't judge it, but I don't think I'd like to live there unless I was out in the Berkshires.
perdedor

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2008, 05:42:42 PM »

You can say what you think, but there is about a 95% chance that no one within ear shot gives a damn what you think. Thus, you just look like an asshole. I'm sure this could be answered with something along the lines of "I don't care what people think", but it just continues the circle as it's equally likely as before that no one is concerned with what you care or don't care about. I would also disagree that being friendly and cordial is somehow equivalent to "pretending to like someone", but I suppose that's a subjective thing. After all, who am I to ask for the time?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2008, 06:32:35 PM »

Minnesota.  Massachusetts traffic frightened me.  And we probably have a more economically stable future.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies