Does the described couple hate their kid?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:40:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Does the described couple hate their kid?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Does the preceding couple hate their kid?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Does the described couple hate their kid?  (Read 1697 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »
« edited: February 04, 2008, 06:51:21 PM by Tutto Lasciato a Metà »

They live in the inner city in an apartment and area largely populated by drug junkies and dealers even though they don't do drugs themselves (because it's cheap) and aren't bothered by this. Wife gets pregnant. They decide to stay in the area rather than move to the suburbs where they wouldn't have to raise a kid in this environment because they don't want to have to drive an extra 15 minutes to their jobs and don't want to live away from their favorite bars including the one where most of the indie/emo/hardcore/punk/etc. bands they like to see play (Yes, they're a "scene" couple) and night clubs, plus the bars in the suburbs close an hour early. The husband gets an offer for a promotion that would greatly increase his salary and allow them to move to a better neighborhood easily but he turns it down because it'd be too much stress and would require him to work more overtime. Couple stays in their apartment and raises their kid in this inner city environment.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 06:53:49 PM »

Yes.
perdedor

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2008, 03:11:59 AM by EPRO »

No, they do not hate their children per say. However, they seem to be very selfish people who will probably be piss poor parents in the long run.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 07:10:19 PM »

No, but they are borderline hatred. They don't really "hate" their child, at least with intention, but  they seem quite neglectful and don't seem to care about their child.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 07:13:35 PM »

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 07:31:48 PM »

I currently drive 5 minutes to my job. An extra 15 WOULD be a big deal.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 07:33:51 PM »

No.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 08:16:57 PM »

No, but provided they've actually thought about it it seems that they care more about themselves than they do about their kid.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 08:18:11 PM »

They certainly do seem to care absolutely nothing about their kid, given that they aren't factoring him in any decisions that they make and quite frankly I would say that they sound like your typical couple who should have never had a child.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2008, 08:44:57 PM »

I currently drive 5 minutes to my job. An extra 15 WOULD be a big deal.

It's an even bigger deal for the kid to deal with parents going to bars all the time, to deal with dad not being at all concerned about saving for a good education, to deal with fetal alcohol syndrome if the wife in continuing to frequent bars while pregnant, and to deal with growing up in a culture of drugs and violence. If the kid turns out OK it will be completely despite his/her parents, and I would hope that the parents aren't surprised when the kid later wants nothing to do with them.

BRTD, there are people on here who know more about parenting than you do. You're wrong if you disagree with me on this issue.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 10:57:49 PM »

I'm going to agree with Gabu and Dibble (as usual), they don't hate their kids, but they certainly come across like selfish pricks.  I'm not one that thinks parents should sacrafice ALL their fun for their kids, I know I'm still having fun  But everything else considered, you've got to put your offsprings enviroment above your own entertainment.  They're only in your life for a couple of decades, there is plenty of time before and after for fun.
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2008, 01:27:46 AM »

Just because these people are obviously bad parents it doesn't mean they hate their kid.  There are lots of bad parents out there who love their children.  But as has been previously stated, this couple seems to care more about their own happiness than the well-being of their child.  A good parent must be willing to make some sacrifices for the sake of their child.  If that means giving up the cheap apartment next to the cool bars then so be it.  Besides, unless you're willing to shill out the extra cash for a babysitter you aren't going to be going out all that often anyways.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2008, 04:14:48 AM »

I don't think they hate their kid, but they definitely are selfish.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 03:01:18 AM »

No, but if they were really caring/kind they would have an abortion.  It is absolutely unreasonable for a working class person to inflict another such life upon a progeny. 
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 03:50:44 AM »

No, but if they were really caring/kind they would have an abortion.  It is absolutely unreasonable for a working class person to inflict another such life upon a progeny. 

Married "scene" people are usually pro-life (but otherwise progressive/liberal) Christians. Not sure why, I suppose the atheist kids just don't care about marriage.

Also bringing up fetal alcohol syndrome is jumping to conclusions. I never said the wife kept going to bars during pregnancy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 03:55:52 AM »

Married "scene" people are usually pro-life (but otherwise progressive/liberal) Christians. Not sure why, I suppose the atheist kids just don't care about marriage.

Also bringing up fetal alcohol syndrome is jumping to conclusions. I never said the wife kept going to bars during pregnancy.

I never mentioned fetal alcohol syndrome.  I was just talking about bringing another person into the world who will have to work.  I just don't see the point - aborting such an unfortunate is far kinder.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 04:03:40 AM »

I never mentioned fetal alcohol syndrome.  I was just talking about bringing another person into the world who will have to work.  I just don't see the point - aborting such an unfortunate is far kinder.

No you didn't. That part was to Yak's Hairbrush.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 06:58:20 AM »

They are indifferent- which is oft worse than hatred.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 10:13:07 AM »

What about pro-choice Christians? Or are they too lame for the scene.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 05:56:38 PM »

no, they're selfish, but it doesn't mean they hate their kid.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies