2008 Democratic Race Dividing Families
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:31:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  2008 Democratic Race Dividing Families
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008 Democratic Race Dividing Families  (Read 480 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 03, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »

Anyone wish to relate?
--------------------------------------

In Democratic Families, Politics Makes for Estranged Bedfellows

By JODI KANTOR
Published: February 4, 2008

Maria Shriver woke up Sunday morning and decided to surprise the audience at a rally for Barack Obama in Los Angeles, materializing alongside Oprah Winfrey and telling the crowd she was throwing her support behind Senator Obama because she sought “an America that’s about unity.”

But not the family kind. Ms. Shriver is a member of the Kennedy family, and in the past week, some of her famous relatives have split over the Democratic race, publicizing their preferences on opinion pages and at campaign rallies. Ms. Shriver, along with Senator Edward M. Kennedy, Caroline Kennedy, Ethel Kennedy and Representative Patrick J. Kennedy, have all endorsed Mr. Obama, while Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and Kerry Kennedy are supporting Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton.

With Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama heading toward Tuesday’s voting in a tightening race, the Democratic race has, at times, turned into a family feud. There is former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin (a Clinton supporter) and his son James (Obama); Representative Charles B. Rangel (Clinton), his wife, Alma (Obama); the Rev. Jesse Jackson (Obama), his wife (Clinton) and their sons (split as well).

Loretta and Linda Sanchez, the only sisters in the House of Representatives, have endorsed Mrs. Clinton and Mr. Obama, respectively. And Penny Pritzker, a Chicago philanthropist, serves as Mr. Obama’s national finance chairman even as her brother, Jay Robert, holds fund-raisers across town for Mrs. Clinton.

“Within the family, for the first time you have different opinions,” Arnold Schwarzenegger, the Republican governor of California and Ms. Shriver’s husband, told The San Francisco Chronicle last week, around the same time Mr. Obama was calling his wife to try to coax her into declaring her support. “I’ve been in the family 30 years, and I’ve never seen that,” added Mr. Schwarzenegger, who has endorsed Senator John McCain.

And for every Kennedy or Sanchez, there are countless everyday Democratic voters who find themselves arguing with spouses, parents, children and siblings over which checks to send, which lawn signs to display and which onesie to put the baby in: “Hillary Cares About Me” or “My Mama’s For Obama”?
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 11:07:15 PM »

It has most certainly happened in mine. My mother was a hardcore Edwards supporter until he dropped out... now she's for Obama, albeit not a huge supporter. Dad still can't decide between Obama and Hillary, and was gung-ho on Gore far after it became clear he wasn't running. I've been for Obama since he entered the race.

My school on the other hand is not divided at all. Most of my friends, many of whom didn't care even a few months ago, are now big Obama fans! He's speaking to my generation like no one else in this race could even hope to do. My school is about 50% white, 45% black and 10% other. The few who do not support Obama are mostly from "Little Kentucky" a neighborhood on Mansfield's Northside, and are for Huckabee.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 11:17:36 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2008, 11:19:17 PM by Verily »

It's sort of happened in my family. It's more like my whole family against my mother at this point, though. My father supported Edwards and has now switched to Obama, albeit with little enthusiasm. My brother switched from Clinton to Obama during the dirtiest part of the campaign. My mother switched from Edwards to Clinton after Iowa, and has been talking the usual stuff about this being "the last great barrier" (my brother had some sharp words for her about women being the last oppressed group in America; he's gay). My sister, who isn't old enough to vote, has been an Obama enthusiast. And, of course, I've been with Obama all along.

My brother is a voter in MA. I'm here in NJ, and my parents (and sister) are in CA.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies