Interesting Article
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:41:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Interesting Article
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting Article  (Read 1854 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 01, 2008, 12:18:27 AM »

http://blogs.theaustralian.news.com.au/yoursay/index.php/theaustralian/comments/stop_bagging_hillary/

I'm not agreeing with everything he says, but there's some valid points being made.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »

"Vindictiveness"?

I'm finding it kind of hard to take seriously an article that calls Obama vindictive.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:29:02 AM »

Like I said, I don't agree with everything.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »

Errr... no. Let's put it another way... no. This guy could vie with Mitty.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 02:09:00 AM »

Sorry, but there's some truth to this.

Maybe not a lot, but a nugget.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 02:11:17 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2008, 02:14:33 AM by Verily »

Sorry, but there's some truth to this.

Maybe not a lot, but a nugget.

I had written up a long response to this earlier, but I got too worked up to finish it, so I'm not bothering. Suffice to say that the grains of truth are very small and do not stack up with what is not being talked about in the article.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 02:15:49 AM »

I was actually referring to some of the issues relating to the MLK/Johnson thing.

I agreed with Hillary that the Civil Rights movement would have had a MUCH harder time politically without Johnson as an ally - roughing up his own party.

Plus... (I didn't mention this too much at the time - heaven FORBID you criticise Obama) I noticed a lot of annoyed looks from Obama during the NH debate... the best one was the death glance he gave Richardson when he said he was pleased Gore wasn't in the race.

Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »

I was actually referring to some of the issues relating to the MLK/Johnson thing.

I agreed with Hillary that the Civil Rights movement would have had a MUCH harder time politically without Johnson as an ally - roughing up his own party.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think, once the ground movement got underway, someone would have taken it up. In fact, there were other champions within both parties, and Johnson actually did not believe in Civil Rights until he spoke with Kennedy about it (Kennedy having pushed Civil Rights legislation prior to his assassination, so it wasn't even Johnson's "idea"). The only sense in which Johnson specifically benefited anyone politically was that he gave the Democrats a lock on the emergent black vote, but, if you're referring strictly to electoral success, it came at the expense of the Solid South.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Frankly, I don't know how you can read so deeply into any of these, and everyone's eyes deceive them. I saw a lot of annoyed sighing from Clinton last night; clearly she is being vain and vindictive.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 10:22:21 PM »

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think, once the ground movement got underway, someone would have taken it up. In fact, there were other champions within both parties, and Johnson actually did not believe in Civil Rights until he spoke with Kennedy about it (Kennedy having pushed Civil Rights legislation prior to his assassination, so it wasn't even Johnson's "idea"). The only sense in which Johnson specifically benefited anyone politically was that he gave the Democrats a lock on the emergent black vote, but, if you're referring strictly to electoral success, it came at the expense of the Solid South.

Frankly, I don't know how you can read so deeply into any of these, and everyone's eyes deceive them. I saw a lot of annoyed sighing from Clinton last night; clearly she is being vain and vindictive.

I suppose we could say that the Civil Rights movement should thank whoever shot Kennedy, since that was the key thing that gave Johnson the coat-tails to do whatever he wanted. Johnson did BECOME a civil rights supporter, plus the Great Society programs were far far more ambitious than what Kennedy was planning.

I analyse all of them during debates, since the general opinion of Clinton around here verges on the hysterical I didn't feel the need to point here weaknesses out here. Body language is always fun to read. Whenever Clinton wants let rip at someone she starts to scribble, when Obama gets annoyed he does two things he either sends sharp quick glances or he remains a little too calm - his body almost compacts a little.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 09:52:58 PM »

Well, apparently some people aren't ready for Obama yet. They are being naturally skeptic and are trying to dismiss him.
Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2008, 09:37:49 AM »

I do think Obama has occasionally has shown little bouts of arrogance, however from what I understand pretty much everyone who's come in contact with him sees him as an unfailingly polite person, so I don't think that's a problem.

Regarding the Hillary MLK/Johnson quote, I'm sure everyone's had their say on it. It wasn't racist, but it was terribly condescending. Obviously MLK could never have become President, but even if he had does Hillary really not think he would have worked with every ounce he had for civil rights reform. Her comment had an air of 'Hey, we've got the power, if anyone's going to be changing things around here, it'll be us, if we feel like it.' It was very off-putting, and deserved to get the attention it did.

Iosif is a COTHO
Mango
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2008, 09:46:36 AM »

Couple of quotes from the article:

Yeah, because polls since SC have really shown him becoming marginalized. Is this guy even following the coverage?

What makes Obama's speeches 'aimless' that makes JFK's speeches not? If he's looking for wonkish policy detail in a stump speech, he might be disappointed.

Plus, it's funny he's so snarky about calls for 'change'. I seem to recall that Bill Clinton mentioned 'change' about every 2 minutes in his 1992 campaign speeches. Was this guy criticizing him for that?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies