Two Guesses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:19:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Two Guesses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18
Author Topic: Two Guesses  (Read 69256 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »

You may well be right JJ, as I've said for over a year now.

That being said, this does not mean that an Obama realignment is out of the cards completely; rather, its likelihood has diminished substantially.

You were not one of the people really pointing to an Obama re-alignment.

One aspect of a re-alignment is the congressional balance, however.

Generally, a party out of power will gain in one house for 3 consecutive elections and will go from minority to majority party status in one house at least.  I think Brown killed the most likely possibility of that.  Smiley

I think that means that there isn't an Obama realignment, but it doesn't mean that Obama won't be re-elected.

The recent SCOTUS decision is also an indication; campaigns tend to fought differently.  I really should do a list of what a realignment looks like, its characteristics.

It is also next to impossible to see until you are in the last stages of it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2010, 12:24:37 AM »

This is the thread for this observation...

You know, since I started revisiting my long-term cyclical analysis in late 2008 (with the stock markets' action), I must say that it has consistently pointed to one of two outcomes to occur fairly soon (probably within the next ten/fifteen years or so):

1) Democrats' power falls below that of 1994 and Republicans' power eclipses 2002. (I consider 1994 to be the modern nadir of the Democratic party, and 2002 the modern height of the Republican party).
2) Democrats' power falls below that of 1994, Republicans' power falls below the 1974 level and some new 3rd party arises, which will eventually take the place of the Republican party.

The first option does align with a lot of what you've posted here. FWIW (which may be nil).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #252 on: February 06, 2010, 12:23:54 AM »

This is the thread for this observation...

You know, since I started revisiting my long-term cyclical analysis in late 2008 (with the stock markets' action), I must say that it has consistently pointed to one of two outcomes to occur fairly soon (probably within the next ten/fifteen years or so):

1) Democrats' power falls below that of 1994 and Republicans' power eclipses 2002. (I consider 1994 to be the modern nadir of the Democratic party, and 2002 the modern height of the Republican party).
2) Democrats' power falls below that of 1994, Republicans' power falls below the 1974 level and some new 3rd party arises, which will eventually take the place of the Republican party.

The first option does align with a lot of what you've posted here. FWIW (which may be nil).

In the second case, and to extents in 1932 and 1980, the minority party can change radically when it goes into the majority.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #253 on: February 06, 2010, 01:01:09 AM »

That's very true J.J. Another thing to remember is that people often vote the party opposite of the president into the house and senate for balance. That's been the trend since 1980. I still think people are trending to the Republicans right now because they are unhappy with Obama and not because they're interested in the Republicans' ideas. Usually Republicans are trusted more on foreign issues and Democrats on domestic issues. The economy depends on how the economy is doing and which party is in control of the white house.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #254 on: March 24, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »

That's very true J.J. Another thing to remember is that people often vote the party opposite of the president into the house and senate for balance. That's been the trend since 1980. I still think people are trending to the Republicans right now because they are unhappy with Obama and not because they're interested in the Republicans' ideas. Usually Republicans are trusted more on foreign issues and Democrats on domestic issues. The economy depends on how the economy is doing and which party is in control of the white house.

Oddly, not so in the early 2000's.  Until 2006, the GOP gained seats.  In 2008, the D's gained seats.

I'm looking at the current anger at the government and I can see that being part of it.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »

Oddly, not so in the early 2000's.  Until 2006, the GOP gained seats.  In 2008, the D's gained seats.

I'm looking at the current anger at the government and I can see that being part of it.
Very odd indeed. I wonder what in the world could have happenned in the early 2000s to make people rally around the president's party Roll Eyes
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #256 on: March 25, 2010, 03:43:08 PM »

Very odd indeed. I wonder what in the world could have happenned in the early 2000s to make people rally around the president's party Roll Eyes

I don't know.  What was it in 2004?

What was it in 1998, or 1976, 1980, 1984 and even in the Senate, 1982?
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.45, S: -0.26

« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2010, 06:30:58 AM »

1. Obviously not

2. I could see Middle America basically trending Republican (plus ME and NH), and Dems winning in the South due to the influx of now-liberal Iraq veterans. The West Coast could very possibly trend Republican due to rich retirees, and Dems will be winning in the Southwest more often due to the Hispanic vote.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2010, 10:36:15 AM »

I see the south continuing to go Republican as well as the suburbs. The democrats will make gains in the urban areas and the country continues to become more divided. The southwest will trend democrat due to illegal immigration.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #259 on: July 16, 2010, 01:47:41 AM »

1. Obviously not

2. I could see Middle America basically trending Republican (plus ME and NH), and Dems winning in the South due to the influx of now-liberal Iraq veterans. The West Coast could very possibly trend Republican due to rich retirees, and Dems will be winning in the Southwest more often due to the Hispanic vote.

I think we going to see a conservative-populist or libertarian re-alignment, though I don't know which.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #260 on: July 16, 2010, 03:34:38 PM »

1. Obviously not

I think we going to see a conservative-populist or libertarian re-alignment, though I don't know which.

Conservative-populist. Libertarians have too big a reputation of being paranoid conspiracy theorists.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #261 on: September 15, 2010, 10:15:54 AM »

Bumping in honor of Christine O'Donnell.

I said that I was expecting a re-alignment, not that I'd necessarily like it.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »

^sophisticated art joke, you probably won't get it
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2010, 02:38:03 PM »

Nor you this one. Wink
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #264 on: September 18, 2010, 03:20:55 PM »

A re-alignment election doesn't necessarily mean a landslide. The new "bases" of the party may not be apparent until many years later. For example, even though 1984 did shake up the map, the bases of each party and the real battleground states weren't really clear until 2000. Clinton was still doing pretty well in the south. So I don't think we'll know if a re-alignment election is a re-alignment election until quite some time afterwards.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #265 on: September 18, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »

A re-alignment election doesn't necessarily mean a landslide. The new "bases" of the party may not be apparent until many years later. For example, even though 1984 did shake up the map, the bases of each party and the real battleground states weren't really clear until 2000. Clinton was still doing pretty well in the south. So I don't think we'll know if a re-alignment election is a re-alignment election until quite some time afterwards.

You could also argue that re-alignments are gradual in nature and not generally apparent after one election.  Nixon swept the South in 1972, winning every county in a couple of states, but the region mostly flipped back to the Democrats in 1976, but with smaller margins than before.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #266 on: September 18, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »

You could also argue that re-alignments are gradual in nature and not generally apparent after one election.  Nixon swept the South in 1972, winning every county in a couple of states, but the region mostly flipped back to the Democrats in 1976, but with smaller margins than before.

I generally treat a re-alignments as running through 2 "off year" elections and two presidential elections.  I wound argue 1930-36 and 1978-84 elections were the realigning elections.

Normally, a landslide in one or both of the presidential elections is seen, but not necessarily a period of landslides.

One characteristic is new types of candidates coming into the arena.  You may be seeing that with O'Donnell defeating Castle.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #267 on: November 01, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »

The deluge approaches?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #268 on: November 02, 2010, 11:46:29 PM »

Any suggestion that there was a Democratic re-alignment have ended today.

The signs of a re-alignment are:

1.  More than a 35 seat gain in the House.

2.  More than a 5 seat gain in the Senate.

3.  A shift of control in at least one house.

Those are just the first signs, however.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2010, 11:37:26 AM »

One thing about this election cycle.  It was much less about cultural issues and more about economic ones.
feeblepizza
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2010, 01:24:29 AM »

Therefore, we are experiencing a realignment to the right (Republicans gained 60+ House seats and therefore the majority, and took 8 seats in the Senate).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #271 on: November 06, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »

Therefore, we are experiencing a realignment to the right (Republicans gained 60+ House seats and therefore the majority, and took 8 seats in the Senate).

Well, there were two elections, 1946 and 1994, where that was not a precursor of a realignment.  This, in many ways, looks like a Republican version of 1930, which was.

In 1930, the Democrats gained 8 Senate and 52 House seats.

In 2010, the Republicans gained 6 Senate and 60+ House seats.

I would say that, if it is occurring, one element of the re-alignment is fiscal conservatism.

I tend to see a "realignment period" of four congressional elections.

1.  The Precursor Election (non-presidential).  The realignment party makes substantial gains in Congress. (1858, 1894, 1930, 1980 (the weakest)).

2.  The Grand Realignment Election  (presidential).  Incumbent president either loses re-election (1932, 1980) or is not renominated (1860, 1896).  The president's party gains at least one House by this point (it marks a party change).

3.  The Middle Election (non-presidential).  The president's party holds one house and generally (1898, 1934, 1982) will gain seats.  There is no "repudiation" of the president's party.

4.  The Confirming Election (presidential).  The president (or his successor) is re-elected; his party continues to hold at least one house (1864, 1900, 1936, 1984).

That is the metrics of it, but the causes also have to be present (which is why 1910-1916 is not a realignment).
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2010, 04:53:07 PM »

I would be more inclined to say that these are the signs of a shift towards one party, not an over-all re-alignment.

Coupled with the fact that that both the enthusiasm gap and the decline in young voters hurt the Democrats incredibly, I'd say we're more seeing a shift against Obama, not a shift for the Republicans.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »

I would be more inclined to say that these are the signs of a shift towards one party, not an over-all re-alignment.

Coupled with the fact that that both the enthusiasm gap and the decline in young voters hurt the Democrats incredibly, I'd say we're more seeing a shift against Obama, not a shift for the Republicans.

Keep in mind that this is the quantification of what would be expected if 2010 was the "Precursor Election."

I also started talking about this before we knew Obama would be the nominee, much less the president.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #274 on: November 06, 2010, 10:12:14 PM »

In general, a re-alignment produces changes in:

1.  Electoral behavior (who votes for whom).

2.  Electioneering tactics (how a campaign is run). 

3.  Candidate recruitment (who runs).

4.  Elite coalition behavior (who sides with whom).

5.  Formulation of public policy (after the election, what difference does it make).

Now, I would argue that there were changes in all of these after the 1978-84 realignment.

How these changes will work after the next re-alignment, I don't know.

Even in 1984, I did not expect everything that we saw in the post 1984 political world.

I obviously wrote this earlier.  There have been changes in numbers 2, 3 and 4.  I can't say that electoral behavior has changed.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies