Two Guesses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:10:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Two Guesses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18
Author Topic: Two Guesses  (Read 69337 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2008, 08:00:03 PM »

You could see two situations:

1.  Obama wins and is the next Jimmy Carter, only worse.  Within 5 years of today there is Christian conservative Congress abnd President.

2.  McCain win and the evangelicals in the party are diminished.

The more this election cycle goes on, the more I'm starting to see option #1.  Though not necessarily a "Christian conservative" Congress/President, but a sharp trend towards social authoritarianism and stronger economic controls being dicated by government.  You could kind of see it start after 9/11, frankly.

I could see a more libertarian bent.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #176 on: September 17, 2008, 01:30:58 AM »

Though, I do not share your optimism about Palin...maybe if Palin is forced to run in 2012 and loses...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #177 on: September 17, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »

Though, I do not share your optimism about Palin...maybe if Palin is forced to run in 2012 and loses...

Some of her things have been more consensual.  Now, I'm not saying anything about the direction of the re-alignment, just that we'll see it in the next two elections.  I already predicted that GOP would win, at a time when I wasn't sure I'd be voting for the GOP nominee or who either party nominee would be.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #178 on: September 17, 2008, 05:14:12 PM »

1.  Obama wins and is the next Jimmy Carter, only worse.  Within 5 years of today there is Christian conservative Congress abnd President.

The more this election cycle goes on, the more I'm starting to see option #1.  Though not necessarily a "Christian conservative" Congress/President, but a sharp trend towards social authoritarianism and stronger economic controls being dicated by government.  You could kind of see it start after 9/11, frankly.

I could see a more libertarian bent.

I don't mean to make this sound "braggadocio", but that's probably impossible.  Smiley

I've always had an excellent feel for the pulse of the country at-large and a pulse for places that I live in.  If I'm saying something is more likely than not to be occurring, it probably is.

I've made mistakes before, specifically about Hillary Clinton, but if the *caucus process* had not existed, something which I admittedly don't get, my prediction would have been accurate.

The only thing that makes me pause before being anywhere near 100% behind the prediction above is the concern that the longer the undecideds stay undecided, the more likely they are to break to the white candidate.  Or at least, that's what has happened historically, and those still undecided seem to fit the pattern of this type of voter more than not.

But whatever, even if McCain gets elected, this is probably where we're headed.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2008, 08:20:45 PM »

The only thing that makes me pause before being anywhere near 100% behind the prediction above is the concern that the longer the undecideds stay undecided, the more likely they are to break to the white candidate.  Or at least, that's what has happened historically, and those still undecided seem to fit the pattern of this type of voter more than not.

You make an assumption, if McCain is elected, a Republican will be elected in 2012.  I'm not too sure about that.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #180 on: September 17, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »

You make an assumption, if McCain is elected, a Republican will be elected in 2012.  I'm not too sure about that.

I never made that assumption.  In fact, I thought my statement implied the opposite.  But the result in terms the trend towards authoritarianism and stronger control will be the same.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #181 on: September 17, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »

I never made that assumption.  In fact, I thought my statement implied the opposite.  But the result in terms the trend towards authoritarianism and stronger control will be the same.

No, but we might see a break between social libertarians and security libertarians.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2008, 06:40:55 PM »

No, but we might see a break between social libertarians and security libertarians.

...whatever that means.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #183 on: September 18, 2008, 06:48:36 PM »

...whatever that means.

Simple:   Conduct will be tolerated, but actions will be monitored.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2008, 11:50:35 AM »

...whatever that means.

That seems to be a bit broad...but are you trying to say that the theo-cons will lose ground to the neo-cons, at least on law enforcement policy?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2008, 05:59:54 PM »

...whatever that means.

That seems to be a bit broad...but are you trying to say that the theo-cons will lose ground to the neo-cons, at least on law enforcement policy?

I wouldn't use those titles.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2008, 10:20:44 PM »

Answer the question.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2008, 11:21:38 PM »

Come up with a different classification; those don't apply.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2008, 01:12:30 AM »

Ok. So, in a certain situation, probably if McCain wins and no matter what happesn to him, the Rudy Guiliani (socially moderate anti-terror) wing of the party will gain more influence at the expense of the Mike Huckabee( socially conservative/ security moderate)wing of the party on  law and order issues?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2008, 01:16:34 AM »

Ok. So, in a certain situation, probably if McCain wins and no matter what happesn to him, the Rudy Guiliani (socially moderate anti-terror) wing of the party will gain more influence at the expense of the Mike Huckabee( socially conservative/ security moderate)wing of the party on  law and order issues?

That is one possibility.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2008, 05:32:34 PM »

This post, made the second day of the "crisis" still nails it.

Though, really, there are three options for the Obama presidency...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2008, 10:22:11 PM »

It depends.  I'm not convinced there will be an Obama presidency, this time.  We can only speculate what would have happened if Ford won in 1976.

My initial prediction was that the GOP wins.  At the time, I didn't predict that it would be McCain versus Obama.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2008, 07:56:13 PM »

It depends.  I'm not convinced there will be an Obama presidency, this time.  We can only speculate what would have happened if Ford won in 1976.

My initial prediction was that the GOP wins.  At the time, I didn't predict that it would be McCain versus Obama.

So you think that McCain still will be miracled into the White House and then you will tell him that after him, there will be a deluge....what will happen then? Will there be breasts?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2008, 12:46:36 AM »

So you think that McCain still will be miracled into the White House and then you will tell him that after him, there will be a deluge....what will happen then? Will there be breasts?

No, I will tell that that.  The only the president can hope to do is redirect the waters.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #194 on: October 19, 2008, 09:50:48 AM »

I'll refine this prediction.  If Obama wins, the realignment begins in 2010. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #195 on: October 19, 2008, 04:46:29 PM »

Are you talking about the final destruction of liberalism and start of the age of eugenics, preemptive "limited" nuclear war, fuedalization of the economy, theocracy, the mass forced repatriatriation of the remaining liberals and swarthy foreigners and the general birth of the Fourth Reich? Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #196 on: October 21, 2008, 04:23:01 PM »

Are you talking about the final destruction of liberalism and start of the age of eugenics, preemptive "limited" nuclear war, fuedalization of the economy, theocracy, the mass forced repatriatriation of the remaining liberals and swarthy foreigners and the general birth of the Fourth Reich? Tongue

It's a political realignment.  I'm taking about voting patterns, candidate selection, policy changes.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #197 on: October 21, 2008, 06:10:05 PM »

It's a political realignment.  I'm taking about voting patterns, candidate selection, policy changes.

Oh. Sorry. I think I am just talking about the policy changes, then. Tongue
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #198 on: October 21, 2008, 07:28:15 PM »

No, those are unintended consequences.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #199 on: October 23, 2008, 01:42:39 AM »

No, those are unintended consequences.

semantics....
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies