What seats can the GOP regain in the house?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:35:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What seats can the GOP regain in the house?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What seats can the GOP regain in the house?  (Read 3002 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »

I would say that PA-04 is much more likely than PA-10.  A recent poll had Carney up 30%+ over an of his Republican opponents. 

The poll was conducted in December by Momentum Analysis and paid for by the American Hospital Assoc. PAC.  It had Carney up 55-21 vs. Hackett and 53-23 vs. Meuser. Note that Meuser only had been in the race since October. Since the poll was conducted, Meuser's been endorsed by Santorum, Joe Peters, Lou Barletta, a Don Ely, who had been running; he's kicked off his campaign to a good sized crowd of 250 and has been appearing in events all over NEPA, visiting my home town this week. He's also announced he raised ~400K in 2007 since entering the race. He's not going to have money issues, he just needs name recognition.

The poll, BTW, still had Bush's approval numbers at 45-52. That jives pretty well with the 47% Sherwood won here in 2006 to establish 45-47% as a basement for GOP support in the district. 2004's showing by Kerry of 40% in the district is the Democrat's basement. I've yet to find anyone who's willing to be that Carney sweeps the middle ground with McCain sitting at the top of the ticket.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 03:42:50 PM »

I would say that PA-04 is much more likely than PA-10.  A recent poll had Carney up 30%+ over an of his Republican opponents. 

The poll was conducted in December by Momentum Analysis and paid for by the American Hospital Assoc. PAC.  It had Carney up 55-21 vs. Hackett and 53-23 vs. Meuser. Note that Meuser only had been in the race since October. Since the poll was conducted, Meuser's been endorsed by Santorum, Joe Peters, Lou Barletta, a Don Ely, who had been running; he's kicked off his campaign to a good sized crowd of 250 and has been appearing in events all over NEPA, visiting my home town this week. He's also announced he raised ~400K in 2007 since entering the race. He's not going to have money issues, he just needs name recognition.

The poll, BTW, still had Bush's approval numbers at 45-52. That jives pretty well with the 47% Sherwood won here in 2006 to establish 45-47% as a basement for GOP support in the district. 2004's showing by Kerry of 40% in the district is the Democrat's basement. I've yet to find anyone who's willing to be that Carney sweeps the middle ground with McCain sitting at the top of the ticket.

So are you already saying that Carney will lose?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 04:23:40 PM »

Nah. Way to early to tell there. Just that Carney is in much more danger than any other incumbent not named Nick Lampson. He holds a strong GOP district and is running against someone who is wealthy and has shown great ability to fundraise and gain endorsements. History tells us that after wave elections districts bounce back to the party who held them. There was no reason outside the scandal for Carney to have been elected and without that advantage running in 2008, he's in big time trouble.

Add in that Meuser is from the very areas of Luzerne County that Republicans got hit so hard in in 2006 (Bush won 54% in the PA-10 parts of Luzerne County, Sherwood got just 39%).
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 04:27:23 PM »

History tells us that after wave elections districts bounce back to the party who held them. There was no reason outside the scandal for Carney to have been elected and without that advantage running in 2008, he's in big time trouble.

That's usually only when a wave happens in a Presidential year.  Anyway, 2006 was not that big of a wave.  1974, 1966, and 1958 were waves.  This was more like a 1978 style mini-wave. 
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 04:46:29 PM »

The second sentence stands.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 05:02:16 PM »

Early 2006 CW (Cook, Rothenberg etc.) rundown of these same races:

PA-4  Likely or Safe Republican Result: Democratic win
AZ-8  Leans Republicans Result: Democratic win
FL-16 Safe Republican   Result: Democratic win
KS-2  Safe Republican Result: Democratic win
KY-3  Likely Republican Result: Democratic win
NH-1  Likely Republican  Result: Democratic win
NH-2   Likely Republican             Result: Democratic win
OH-18  Likely Republican            Result: Democratic win
TX-22   Likely Republican          Result: Democratic win
WI-8   Leans Republican            Result: Democratic win

What's my point? Be patient. Wait till at least September to start making predictions.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 05:32:52 PM »

History tells us that after wave elections districts bounce back to the party who held them. There was no reason outside the scandal for Carney to have been elected and without that advantage running in 2008, he's in big time trouble.

That's usually only when a wave happens in a Presidential year.  Anyway, 2006 was not that big of a wave.  1974, 1966, and 1958 were waves.  This was more like a 1978 style mini-wave. 

Don't be silly.  Of course 2006 was a major wave.
Spaghetti Cat
Driedapples
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »

My thinking is that there are more seats with an incumbent that republicans will take, than dems (but dems will probably pick up some open gop seats)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 12:24:08 AM »

Nick Lampson = Mike Flanagan

Besides Lampson the Fluke, every Democratic freshman has at least a 50% chance of reelection.

Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2008, 10:41:28 PM »

Besides Lampson the Fluke, every Democratic freshman has at least a 50% chance of reelection.

I don't think Lampson loses nearly as badly as Flanagan did in 1996. 
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2008, 10:49:01 PM »

I don't think Lampson loses nearly as badly as Flanagan did in 1996. 
Of course not, but the result will be the same.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 09:47:15 PM »

TX 22 worries me the most.  (Aside from Jim Marshall's seat in Georgia.  But that was not a D pickup last time.)

Both Marshall and Barrow nearly lost in '06.  The ill will towards the GOP that year may have been what bought them some more time, but they are both fairly conservative Democrats, so they might be fine.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2008, 08:32:27 AM »

Get ready for Speaker Pelosi to loooooooooooooooooooossseeee!!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies