Frank Rich: Billary will cost Ds the election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 02:22:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Frank Rich: Billary will cost Ds the election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Frank Rich: Billary will cost Ds the election  (Read 1557 times)
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 27, 2008, 01:26:05 PM »

"In the wake of George W. Bush, even a miracle might not be enough for the Republicans to hold on to the White House in 2008. But what about two miracles? The new year’s twin resurrections of Bill Clinton and John McCain, should they not evaporate, at last give the G.O.P. a highly plausible route to victory...."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/opinion/27rich.html?_r=1&ref=opinion&oref=login

Former Clinton supporters from Frank Rich to Josh Marshall are coming to the realizition that Bill Clinton racist attacks on Barack Obama are tearing the party asunder and paving the way for a GOP win in November. It speaks volumes of Hillary's weakness as a leader that she trotted her attackdog husband out to trash Obama and Edwards.

Sadly, none of this is surprising. Clintons have a long record of corruption, racism, and dirty attacks on their foes. The Clinton attack on Edwards trade record was simply unconscionable. How could Billary Clinton of NAFTA fame jab a fellow Democrat for supporting a trade pact?

If the Democrats lose the November, Bill and Hillary's divisive, dirty politics will be to blame.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 01:36:49 PM »

What does the say about the Clintons? It conveys that the Clintons are just as divisive as the Bush. They've ripped out party apart and are hurting our chances at victory in 2008. Hillary and Bill should be ashamed.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 01:53:49 PM »

Like I said, if the Democratic Part becomes the Clinton Bubble, we should be thinking of a post-democrat strategy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 02:08:35 PM »

Not likely. The Democrats survived the LBJ-RFK feud; they'll weather this one out.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 02:09:49 PM »

Not likely. The Democrats survived the LBJ-RFK feud; they'll weather this one out.

Not really. That was the thing that made us the minority in America. As a minority, can we handle another feud if Clinton prevails?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 02:13:37 PM »

Not really. That was the thing that made us the minority in America. As a minority, can we handle another feud if Clinton prevails?

I think so; parties are, at their core, idological. Since we have no Solid South to lose, we'll be fine.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 02:21:09 PM »

I think so; parties are, at their core, idological. Since we have no Solid South to lose, we'll be fine.

Yes....but we don't have enough solid anything. The Solid North isn't enough, just like the Solid South wasn't enough. We have to do well in the mountains and river valleys to win elections again. So, I think we could really lose our viability if those goes badly. There is a silver lining to this- If Clinton implodes and McCain wins, at least we can make the argument that the democratic party exists to ensure American Democracy and because of it, we could gain 4 or 5 senate and 4 or 5 house seats to ensure that we will have the majority of the congress through the next decade with a another 2 or 3 gain in 2010, a 4 seat loss in 2012 and a 2 or 3 seat gain in 2014...going into 2016, we would be at 56 senators and about 235 congressmen....and being in the majority for 10 straight years. ...but by then, 2016 could be a real "Phuck You" election if 2008 isn't. Hell, 2006 was going to be it if we didn't at least break 50 in the senate and win the house.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 02:29:30 PM »

You guys could always come help modernize the Republican Party
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 02:31:19 PM »

Then how would they differ from the Democrats?
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 02:37:17 PM »

Solid article
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 02:47:25 PM »

Obama doesn't have the problems with independents in a general that Hillary does.  He would be MUCH tougher to beat.  Unlike Hillary, he's VERY likable.  Still, it would make me smile if Obama could knock off Hillary.  He's right with Hillary on the issues yet unlike the Clintons, the man has integrity.  I respect that.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 03:01:41 PM »

Obama doesn't have the problems with independents in a general that Hillary does.  He would be MUCH tougher to beat.  Unlike Hillary, he's VERY likable.  Still, it would make me smile if Obama could knock off Hillary.  He's right with Hillary on the issues yet unlike the Clintons, the man has integrity.  I respect that.
Your remarks echo those of many other Republicans who disagree with Obama on the issues, but respect  his character and integrity.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 03:02:19 PM »

I actually think Obama's campaign will be the fault if Hillary gets the nomination and loses in November.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 03:02:36 PM »

What do you mean?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 03:04:10 PM »

I actually think Obama's campaign will be the fault if Hillary gets the nomination and loses in November.
Bill Clinton is either a racist or a man who exploits racial tensions for political gain. Hillary Clinton is complicit in all of these racial attacks. She's a taking a page from her political hero Barry Goldwater's playbook. Her Southern Strategy 2.0 will lead to a depressed black turnout in the general and a Democratic loss.

The selfish Clintons, the same Clintons who did nothing to win back Congress in 1996, are once again tearing apart the Democratic Party.

The Clintons attacked Edwards on trade and Obama on ethics. This coming from the NAFTA-loving corrupt Clintons. Remember Hsu, Chung, and all the other sordid Chinese Clinton fundraising deals? The Clinton embody corruption and dirty politics.

The Clinton supporters can't respond to these charges because they know they're true.

25: the number of times the Clintons and their allies attacked Obama.
25: the number of lies by the Clintons and their allies
25: the number of wounds in the soul of the party
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 03:05:04 PM »

Elaborate.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »

Elaborate.

He stood up and fought her and exposed some negatives about her.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »

They were already long exposed, though. Hopefully, Hillary can prove that if she wins, she can win going negative in 2008.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 03:07:54 PM »

Elaborate.
Who launched racial attacks? Who condoned comments that claimed Bill slept with more black women than Obama? Who compared post-race Obama to Jesse Jackson? Who lied about John Edwards on trade? Who sold the Lincoln bedroom to the top bidders? Who accepted dirty money from Chinese contributers? Who was scorned by John Kerry for swiftboat politics?

The Clintons and their supporters.

The racist Clintons are now opposed by Kerry, Daschle, Durbin, Kennedy, and other leading Democrats who want change in America. The Clintons are campaigning like Republicans and engaging in hate-filled politics.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »

The Clintons are merely doing what's necessary to win; all the more reason to vote for Hillary.  Doubtless they will inflict much worse upon the GOP opponent in the general.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 03:09:29 PM »

Elaborate.

He stood up and fought her and exposed some negatives about her.

Well, wouldn't the Republicans have done that anyway?

Obama has brought in a lot of new voters - black voters, young voters. These people will NOT vote for Hillary in the fall. I know personally I'd campaign hard for Obama but I wouldn't feel like doing anything for Hillary.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 03:09:49 PM »

The Clintons are merely doing what's necessary to win; all the more reason to vote for Hillary.  Doubtless they will inflict much worse upon the GOP opponent in the general.

What could be worse?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 03:11:27 PM »

The Clinton are attempting to squelch any hope in American politics. They've exploited the black-Hispanic political rift, they've lied about Obama's religion, they've marginalized and demeaned black voters, and they've lied about John Edwards.

This is the dirtiest Democratic Presidential primary campaign in over 50 years. Our party won't easily recover from the racist, Rovian politics played by the Clintons.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2008, 03:13:34 PM »

The Clinton are attempting to squelch any hope in American politics. They've exploited the black-Hispanic political rift, they've lied about Obama's religion, they've marginalized and demeaned black voters, and they've lied about John Edwards.

This is the dirtiest Democratic Presidential primary campaign in over 50 years. Our party won't easily recover from the racist, Rovian politics played by the Clintons.

Like I said, we should really consider a post-democratic future if they do prevail. People already have to think twice about voting for us, even when they agree with us... I don't think we can handle another major meltdown.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2008, 03:13:51 PM »

The racist Clintons are now opposed by Kerry, Daschle, Durbin, Kennedy, and other leading Democrats who want change in America. The Clintons are campaigning like Republicans and engaging in hate-filled politics.
Ha!  And Obama is the "anti-establishment" candidate out of the two.  But you see this is nothing more than an ego-trip for these old congressional democrats, wanting to exact their revenge against Bill Clinton.  It's also an ego-trip for the millions of youths voting for "change."  They don't change, they want their own version of the 1960s, a self-righteous moral crusade.  Well, we know where that took the Democratic Party; it broke the New Deal coalition.  Hillary Clinton is the real candidate to put this country on the right track, the candidate who will get to the business of fixing this nation.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies